Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Dejan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
The XG and stats show a major improvement compared to Unai

This season, league only.

Under Unai: average Xg 1,36
Under Mikel: average Xg 1,26

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Always been a big fan of the xg stat

Arteta needs to go
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Lold

Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
ag6789 wrote:How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.
At least we look compact. Problem is injuries and suspensions have robbed Arteta of important resources at this critical time.
We all know that the midfield needs to be bolstered and a defensive addition would be welcome, but that's more to do with the owners than Arteta at this point, I think.

Everton have picked up 10 points from a possible 15. We've picked up 6 from a possible 15. Arteta and Ancelotti started on the same day. So far Everton have lost one, drawn one and won three. Ancelotti is off to a better start. We've won one game, lost one and drawn three since Arteta arrived. Performances are better but the results aren't.

Ancelotti has done better than Arteta, that's not in doubt, 3 wins compared to 1, Everton were below us as well so noone can claim he had a better team. Arteta was a big risk, it's early days but so far it's not really working well, as usual people are making excuses (seems to be ingrained in the culture of some of the fans nowadays, its always someone elses fault).

How much would you like to bet that Arsenal finish above Everton ?!!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Jedi wrote:
Özim wrote:Stop with the comparisons with Klopp, this guy is no Klopp, he was proven had taken Dortmund to the title and to the CL final, what evidence is there that this guy is anything like Klopp, Guardiola or Ferguson, there's isn't, that's just fantasy I'm aftaid.

I agree. Klopp is arguably the best manager in the world, won the CL, on his way to go unbeaten in league, doing unspeakable things and ravaging teams left and right, yet even he struggled when he took over in the middle of the season and finished 8th.

So why do people expect Arteta, a rookie, to be winning every game, if the best manager in the world couldn't do it?

Because that takes common sense and as evidenced on this board, there is not a lot of that going around at the moment.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:13 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:It's amazing how many here worshipped Emery for the longest time, but are willing to take their swords out 6 games into Arteta's tenure.

Disgusting set of fans.

Emery did well in his first season, right up to the end...we were crusing to a top 4 finish and favourites for 3rd and in the Europey League Final.
Once he started making stupid decisions and the team imploded he was quickly gone.
In fact it took basically from the last 5-6 games of the 2018/19 season until less than 20 games this season for him to be fired and it was along time before then when the fans turned on him.

Arteta has started as badly as Emery finished.
We can pretend if we like, but Arteta is clearly not the man for the job.

Jay, if you take the results in isolation, Arteta is doing better than how Emery finished - Arteta 6pts in 5 games, Emery 3 pts in last 5 games. If you take the performances, Arteta is bitch slapping Emery to kingdom come.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
ag6789 wrote:How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.
At least we look compact. Problem is injuries and suspensions have robbed Arteta of important resources at this critical time.
We all know that the midfield needs to be bolstered and a defensive addition would be welcome, but that's more to do with the owners than Arteta at this point, I think.

Everton have picked up 10 points from a possible 15. We've picked up 6 from a possible 15. Arteta and Ancelotti started on the same day. So far Everton have lost one, drawn one and won three. Ancelotti is off to a better start. We've won one game, lost one and drawn three since Arteta arrived. Performances are better but the results aren't.

Exactly, our performances are better and will only improve given time for him to coach the players he has.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:17 pm

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I'm not the greatest at maths but working out the average xG for the 15 or so games Unai was in charge vs the 5 games for Arteta is pretty silly.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Ancelotti has done better than Arteta, that's not in doubt, 3 wins compared to 1, Everton were below us as well so noone can claim he had a better team. Arteta was a big risk, it's early days but so far it's not really working well, as usual people are making excuses (seems to be ingrained in the culture of some of the fans nowadays, its always someone elses fault).

I'm a little worried. The performances are better compared to what we saw under Emery but it's still not an improvement on Wenger. I just hope the results start to come on our way. Chelsea on Tuesday.

Yes they are, they are a definite improvement over Wenger !! We were fooking shite under Wenger. I think people forget just how bad we were !!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:20 pm

elkanofan wrote:I still think despite the clear signs this was a dreadfully bad appointment I am 100% behind arteta as i see good potential in him.

I think we could get back into the champions league with him if we make the right signings and he will become a much better manager than what you see with Lampard for example.

I firmly see it as the club has a shit unbalanced midfield and whatever Arteta tries he's compromised with a poor midfield and he need to be backed properly now which he isn't.

Interested to know why if Arteta was a dreadfully bad appointment you see good potential in him. Surely thats a total contradiction ?!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Take the average of Unai's last 5 games, you speng. Unai - 1.218. Arteta - 1.262. AND - averaging out xGs is not what PnG's comment is about. Its about having a greater xG than the opposing team in any given game and games under Arteta we are having a higher xG than the opponents more often - hence PnG's comment.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

How much would you like to bet that Arsenal finish above Everton ?!!!

I'm not betting against my team. Conflict of interests. But these are the facts. Heck, even if we look at xG compared over the last 5 Prem games Everton have done better. They've jumped from 15th to 11th and can pull ahead of us tomorrow if they win and we lose or draw. I know it doesn't take much to move up the table but we're struggling to make it higher than 10th and they were ahead of us a short while ago.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 pm

theHotHead wrote:
elkanofan wrote:I still think despite the clear signs this was a dreadfully bad appointment I am 100% behind arteta as i see good potential in him.

I think we could get back into the champions league with him if we make the right signings and he will become a much better manager than what you see with Lampard for example.

I firmly see it as the club has a shit unbalanced midfield and whatever Arteta tries he's compromised with a poor midfield and he need to be backed properly now which he isn't.

Interested to know why if Arteta was a dreadfully bad appointment you see good potential in him. Surely thats a total contradiction ?!

Because we should of gone for a more experienced manager like Ancelotti to steady the ship for at least a season before taking such a risk. This is not looking like a good appointment right now.

Since we are suck with Arteta from the 6 games so far I see potential in Arteta for his own career however for us at this time it seems like its too soon, too early for him to sort out all our issues. We should of waited another 2 years at least after Arteta had his first job so at least he had some form of experience under his belt especially in making big decisions on player ins and outs. Right now he shown this already with keeping Xhaka which is a very idealistic decision for me, an experienced manager would of just sold him from knowing the negative effects of trying to deal with players who have already given up on the club.
Last edited by elkanofan on Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Expected goals is the most useless stat i have ever seen created and a example of the nonsense thrown into the modern game by the sake of spreadsheet people who want an excuse for a raise.

I don't care how wonderfully created and intelligence the algorithm is, it useless!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:14 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Take the average of Unai's last 5 games, you speng. Unai - 1.218. Arteta - 1.262. AND - averaging out xGs is not what PnG's comment is about. Its about having a greater xG than the opposing team in any given game and games under Arteta we are having a higher xG than the opponents more often - hence PnG's comment.

Why would you? Population size does not have to be equal, you "speng". Only taking the last 5 of unai is just manipulating statistics.

Under unai this season we have had a higher Xg goals than arteta. This cant be twisted, its a fact.

The only stat that matters though is the pts/game. Im interested to know that ratio of both managers.

Dejan
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk