Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Is this the final season of Mikel Arteta for us ?

Fresh from watching Chelsea beating Man City in their own backyard not by parking the bus but by using an impressive tactical game i was pondering over thinking the instant impact Matic has made to the spine of Chelsea midfield. Everybody was surprised when Mourinho went in and bought a holding midfielder when the footballing circles were abuzz with bets on him going for a Striker.

Mourinho is tactically astute and knows the importance of a midfield lynchpin. Central midfield is the engine room of any team and a good lung capacity and Legs are a must have for anybody playing there. The position is extremely demanding where you have to put in up and down shifts throughout the game. Fernandinho is another player who has been the unsung hero of the City side and his absence was clearly felt against Chelsea.

The headline might sound alarming and may appear like a knee jerk reaction but Mikel Arteta’s contract expires on Jan 8, 2015. He will be 32 by the end of this season. Central defenders can carry on a tad longer at top level but Central midfield is very demanding position and Arteta seems to have lost his Zip this season. Don’t get me wrong he still is a good player, a good reader of the game with decent distribution and passing range. He is a player i admire but off late whenever the tempo of a particular game goes up he has struggled to cope. With our team built around attack our holding midfielder has to do a lot of work.

Wenger more often than not has taken footballing decisions practically rather than emotionally. His over thirty policy is something which is out in the open. Arteta is a nice guy, team and and a leader on the pitch but his legs seem to be out of sync with his brain this season. He has done well for himself and for the team in his time here but we need a solid/combative/mobile option in the middle of the park to partner the likes of Ramsey/Wilshere. With Flamini having acquitted himself well we need a top quality holding mid in the middle of the park as a starting option in the middle of the park. Flamini still has the energy, fitness levels and stamina to last 90 minutes and he can be an able deputy.

Make no mistake Arteta still has a couple of years of football left but not at the level required for a club fighting for top honors. Football squads are all about balance and our squad is more skewed towards attacking mids at the moment. Now please do not get me wrong my assessment is not based on a couple of poor performances rather on a gradual but a consistent pattern where he has struggled to play in a high tempo situation.

Lastly the way Oxlade Chamberlain has acquitted himself in the Central midfield is nothing short of impressive. He put in a near perfect performance against Tony Pulis’ well drilled team. Not only was he solid defensively winning balls with aplomb he showed impressive burst of pace to score two impressive goals. Wenger in his pregame interview mentioned that Chamaberlain’s future lies in the central midfield. I know its too early to judge him but he definitely deserves some playing time based on the spark he has shown in the middle of the park.

If you do the maths it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the fact that Arteta will be a bit part player next season. The point is- is he willing to accept that bit-part role? Will he stay with us if we do not offer him a substantial extension to his current deal? Any which way you see it i do not see him hanging around if he is not promised substantial playing time or a significant extension both of which look unlikely at this point in time.

http://blog.goonersworld.co.uk/
Last edited by Arsenal~Fanatic on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: Is this the final season of Mikel Arteta for us ?

Postby Santi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:58 pm

No, he's had two poorish games and been good in the rest.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Jesus, the odd poor game and the knives are already out. Heaven help him if he actually hit bad form.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby kazgooner » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:01 pm

I think he's doing fine, although his last two games were not that good. We should keep him for another season.
kazgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Clearly mentioned that not based on two poor games rather at a pattern where he has struggled to cope in high tempo games not cos of ability rather cos of his fading legs. Will he stay if we do not offer him a new contract in the summer?

Wenger has always had this history of selling players when they are about to loose their legs a year earlier even may be...
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby dunkdafunk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:44 pm

hopefully we will have sorted the striker situation before the summer, and then we can just bring in a decent DM and maybe a CB.
Couldn't blame Arteta if he moves in the summer with just 6 months left in contract.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Freeloader » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Very much hope so. Him, along with, Rosicky and Wenger will hopefully ride off into the sunset at the end of the season.
Show the spoiler
Wenger? More like w***er, amirite?!?
Freeloader
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:56 pm

I've never really rated him that much, always just been a mediocre player for me. Depth wise he'd be good to have though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:58 pm

If I'm being honest, he's done ok for us but we could do better.

We out of loyalty are starting to get complacent, I'd rather let him see out his contract then have Ramsey, Flamini and a new powerful CM/CDM like Pogba etc brought in.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:48 pm

^^ I don't think he will stick around if we do not give him a two year contract in the summer. Knowing Wenger i would be surprised if he Gave Arteta a two year deal.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't think so. He has at least one more season in him IMO. The way I see it:

1) Arteta keeps his place in the starting eleven and we unearth the next Gilberto Silva/Makalele

OR

2) We drop Arteta to the bench and sign a world class DM in the summer (that is providing that Arteta is fine with being dropped from the starting eleven)

In either case Arteta will/should have a part to play next season
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Massa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:48 pm

His legs are going but still better than Flamini and he's good to have around
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Youngie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Yes
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GSK_AFC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Massa wrote:His legs are going but still better than Flamini and he's good to have around

Agreed, he is still our best option internally but his legs are going and as we switch to a 1-2 midfield during games, it isn't ideal when he becomes isolated.
I put him in my prem XI at the end of last season and think he is one of the best in his position but he'll naturally decline (already has) because of his age and needs a replacement this summer. I'd still have him as a club as back up though, we need his leadership and experience in the dressing room.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:25 pm

I don't think he offers as much defensively as Flamini.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk