Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:17 pm

So Arteta has broken the bank to sign a bunch of hit players....

.....and the best he can do with them is be 2 points above 8th, which is what he got with the likes of Willian, Luiz and Ceballos.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby KG3 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:00 am

How long is Artetas contract?
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:40 am

firfi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
firfi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Not venting buddy, just bringing things to people's attention, perhaps things they never thought about.

He can't manage, he can't coach, what can he actually do ?

Look at Wenger, players left us BETTER than they were when they came, thats a good coach right there. Lets look at Arteta ....... all I see are player's values plummeting, he is the antithesis of Wenger when it comes to coaching

Plenty of players getting better under Arteta.

As for the value thing, never understood that.
There are not that many players that Arteta brought in whose value has plummeted.
Most of them were already here when he arrived and were part of a team who were in 15th place in the PL and not performing.

Arteta's hit rate on purchasing good players is actually pretty good

Gabriel - hit
White - hit
Tomiyasu - hit
Ramsdale - hit
Tavares - hit
Lakonga - hit
Odegaard - TBC
Mari - miss. (no issue on value lost)
Partey - miss
Willian - miss (no issue on value lost)
Soares - miss (no issue on value lost)
Runnarsen - miss (no issue on value lost)

Who is it exactly that he has destroyed transfer value on?

Pepe? Can't blame Arteta for paying 73m on a dud.
Saliba? Remains to be seen, we may even get the money back on him

Who else???

We've also had players increase massively in value.
ESR
Saka
Gabriel

Right now the state of our squad in terms of asset value and the chances of increasing asset value is at it's healthiest in 20 years.

Tell me what did he do to the value of Guendouzi?Torreira?Pepe?AMN?NKETIAH?LACAZETTE?

Nothing as far as I can tell.
Some of those players have been shit and their value has gone down.
Others decided to let their contracts run down.

I asked these questions before and no one could answer...

You have a player who is not playing well. Do you play him or not, knowing his value might go down if you don't?
You have a player who decides to let their contract run down to get a big pay day ... what do you do if no one wants to buy them or the player refuses to leave?

Some players value will always go down because there are only 11 spots in a team and the best players should get the majority of game time.

The most important thing is that the assets you hold overall are appreciating _ I think we have that now, for the first time in a long time.

The angle of picking out players asset values as a reason to bash the manager is one of the most nonsensical arguments of all.
As if it actually matters.
I don't want an accountant picking the team thanks.

IF u have players not playing well u manage them.That's what great managers do.
Every Manager if he has the title in it is accountant as well as coach.
Examples are countless ,but by far u coach the player u train him hard during ur training sessions and u give him minutes when the game is over when ur leading 2-3 : 0 and in carling cup ,european games without meaning and FA CUP GAMES.
He's just not managing the players well and let alone coaching them.
Nketiah has been in the squad for 2 seasons w/o a loan and not given the right game time vs weaker teams to get him going and then vs better teams minutes here and there.Not starting out of nowhere ,because u had feud with ur other strikers.Same with Balogun 2 seasons 0 loans few minutes here and there.We're playing Carling cup or whatever the name of that cup is now and they're not getting minutes in those games.
Second of all you don't change ur whole squad ,but u put selected few players like 4-5 players that are squad players so they can blend in with ur main squad and same goes for Europa League.
We're playing for example vs Wimbeldon FC AMN has a insanely good game gets Man of the match and hes nowhere to be seen since?
Last year we played Europa League with second team.LITERALLY 11 different players and how do u expect them to blend in with the first team ?If they never play together apart from training sessions.
Thats why u never put novice on a big job.
Hes the most inexperienced manager leading a big club.
Chelsea tried it when they had no transfers and it was season they can just skip basically and next season after getting transfers in few months in the season SACK RIGHT AWAY ,cause if u have ambitions u get experienced manager to lead ur club.
Man UNITED have better players than us ,but they were failing hard because they had MANAGER that's way over his head ,but at least he was manager before he went there ,which doesnt change the fact that he was still complete shit and they dragged it like joke of a club they are.
AND THEN THERE IS ARSENAL.

ARTETA has changed the narrative from getting old AF players in a free trying to do a thing last season to getting new and young players in the summer and saying we need to be patient because we have new project.
Next season hes gonna say no scrap that we get experienced players and we start new project.
Truth is Arsenal are 8th 8th and 7th CURRENTLY with the worst football i've seen this club play during my lifetime and this man somehow made PPL ON THE BOARD AND SOME DELUDED FANS THINK THAT IS OUR SPOT AS A CLUB.
HE NEEDED TO BE SACKED YESTERDAY!!!!!!!
Doesn't matter really who we get everyone is better.
I'd go for Potter since we can't really get anyone good right now.

:clap:
Great post. Too early to say if Potter is any good but I understand why you called his name.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:41 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:So Arteta has broken the bank to sign a bunch of hit players....

.....and the best he can do with them is be 2 points above 8th, which is what he got with the likes of Willian, Luiz and Ceballos.

#progress
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:50 am

Villarreal with the don Emery secured their place in the Champions League last 16 as Group F runners-up with victory over Atalanta. So How are we doing in the Champions League then???? lol With this clown in charge it will be a long time (if ever) we make the Europa League.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:34 pm

Nuggets wrote:Villarreal with the don Emery secured their place in the Champions League last 16 as Group F runners-up with victory over Atalanta. So How are we doing in the Champions League then???? lol With this clown in charge it will be a long time (if ever) we make the Europa League.

That tournament made me miss Emery because I could clearly see within one game what he was doing with his squad and how they were playing.

However I will say this ........ I don't think it suited him here, I think the language barrier and consistent tweaking he was doing with the team wasn't making us consistent however we did look stronger than now offensively.

Its just a bit weird how he stuck with 4-4-2 with Villarreal that whole season but with us he kept changing from 3-4-3 to 4-3-3 and back again.
Again maybe the language barrier mean't he wasn't getting his ideas across as well as he can in Spain?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:46 pm

When you analyse it, Emery got a raw deal, didn’t get to sign the players he wants, sacked after 18 months, meanwhile Arteta has had 2 years, has ended up lower than Emery in the league in 2 seasons, has had a worse run and been outfoxed by him but still has his job with no pressure on him at all, which is just weird.

Didn’t work out for Emery and he wasn’t the right fit, but he was treated much worse and given less chances than the current guy.

Now where is that new Klopp so many people were taking about, or was it a slip up and did they actually mean the new flop?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Nuggets » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Salibatelli wrote:When you analyse it, Emery got a raw deal, didn’t get to sign the players he wants, sacked after 18 months, meanwhile Arteta has had 2 years, has ended up lower than Emery in the league in 2 seasons, has had a worse run and been outfoxed by him but still has his job with no pressure on him at all, which is just weird.

Didn’t work out for Emery and he wasn’t the right fit, but he was treated much worse and given less chances than the current guy.

Now where is that new Klopp so many people were taking about, or was it a slip up and did they actually mean the new flop?

I agree Emery was given a shit deal we should have stuck with him. I would love to see Emery win the CL ;)
Last edited by Nuggets on Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuggets

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:10 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Villarreal with the don Emery secured their place in the Champions League last 16 as Group F runners-up with victory over Atalanta. So How are we doing in the Champions League then???? lol With this clown in charge it will be a long time (if ever) we make the Europa League.

That tournament made me miss Emery because I could clearly see within one game what he was doing with his squad and how they were playing.

However I will say this ........ I don't think it suited him here, I think the language barrier and consistent tweaking he was doing with the team wasn't making us consistent however we did look stronger than now offensively.

Its just a bit weird how he stuck with 4-4-2 with Villarreal that whole season but with us he kept changing from 3-4-3 to 4-3-3 and back again.
Again maybe the language barrier mean't he wasn't getting his ideas across as well as he can in Spain?

The tinkering happened because we had one injury after another that season, plus a number of poor transfers. Even then, we were hovering around Top 4/Top 6 the whole season, except the last couple of months when Ramsey got injured and our form collapsed.

Holding got injured after a few very good months, bringing us back to 2 at the back, and rushing 35yo Koscielny back from injury.

Mhikytaryan was in and out of the team due to injury. Welbeck was out for the season as well.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:24 am

Emery deserved to get the sack for dropping Ozil then trying to turn a defacto DM (Torreira) into an attacking midfielder

Fine, you want to drop Ozil, then do so but how are you gonna try and turn Torreira into an attacking midfielder :rofll:

Eejut.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:52 am

Emery was not given a raw deal in the slightest, he was given 2 months to win a game and couldn't f***ing do it. The players had given up on him and there's no way back from it.

He got enough money to spend, not sure about him getting who he wanted but you know who he did really want? Denis f***ing Suarez....so let's not put too much faith in his signings just because of the myth of grass being greener.

There were murmurs all through his reign about difficulty understanding him, players taking the piss out of him etc, it was just never right and never going to work. His football was also shit and the fact our football is still quite shit doesn't make Emery's any better.

The reason Arteta gets more backing and more time is because the board saw that they can't keep changing the manager every 5 minutes so they're all in on project Mikel. If it gets so bad he will be gone and they will have to back another manager to get us out of this shit show they caused.

Anyone after Emery would've got a bigger backing, they gambled on him winning us the EL and he failed miserably in that final. After that it was always a huge uphill battle to get back to the CL.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:02 am

I want Arteta out, but at least I can see positives about Arteta's reign, I saw none for Emery's, useless waste of space he was for us.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:05 am

Emery worked a minor miracle in that first season. A terrible Wenger squad taken to the brink of top 4 and European success.

One bad run and he's gone. Fair enough

In comes Arteta. He's also had one bad run which has lasted 2 years. Still here.

Ineptness of the board is impressive
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Goonerred » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 am

Ach wrote:Emery worked a minor miracle in that first season. A terrible Wenger squad taken to the brink of top 4 and European success.

One bad run and he's gone. Fair enough

In comes Arteta. He's also had one bad run which has lasted 2 years. Still here.

Ineptness of the board is impressive

Other clubs have sacked their managers for less too.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:07 pm

theHotHead wrote:I want Arteta out, but at least I can see positives about Arteta's reign, I saw none for Emery's, useless waste of space he was for us.

:rofll: :rofll: Rubish he was a lot better than this fecking idiot we have now, at least he kept us in Europe and we didn't finish mid-table for two years, given more time we would be in a better place than we are now.
Nuggets

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk