Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:11 pm

alexis2015finalgoal wrote:Arteta in or out, he nullified Pep.
Gotta give him kudos for that.
Pep had no ideas. Bringing on Doku isn't an idea. Crossing into Haaland who got out-muscled by Gabriel/Saliba isn't an idea.

We used negative tactics, basically keeping 11 players in our half thus not leaving any space to play into, if youre willing to sacrifice attack then you can do that, other teams have done it before.

It then needs a moment of brilliance or a break to break teams down who play like this.

We defended very well, but this isn’t the way teams who want to be champions play, its the way smaller sides who feel inferior play, we basically played low block (Guardiola talked about this in his post match interview and low block is very hard to break down if played with discipline and you don’t make errors).

Guardiola brought on Doku and it did work because he beat our full back a few times but his final ball was poor.

City are suffering from losing Mahrez and Gundogan, Doku has potential but hasn’t found his feet yet, those two produced goals out of nothing at times.

This tactic has always been a problem for Guardiola sides if done well, but the chances of winning playing like this are small and one moment of magic and the game plan is out of the window, it just happens that City arent delievring those magic moments much this season.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby alexis2015finalgoal » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:33 pm

Doku is shit. he didn't beat the full-back and the fact he couldn't get a good cross in shows Pep wasted money on him. City as the better side should have broken us down but they lacked the nous.
alexis2015finalgoal
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:37 pm

One thing I love about out team is our size and strength.

We've gone back to invincible style players through the spine of the team

Big and strong. Outside of the wingers and Odegaard I believe I'm right in saying every player is over 6 foot.

Gone are the days of teams bullying us.

Love it tbh
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:20 pm

alexis2015finalgoal wrote:Doku is shit. he didn't beat the full-back and the fact he couldn't get a good cross in shows Pep wasted money on him. City as the better side should have broken us down but they lacked the nous.

He’s not and he did beat our full back a few times with his trickery, he just didn’t deliver the cross/pass.

No team finds it easy to break down low block wheb played well as theres no space, as I said you need a monent of brilliance or mistake or lucky break.

City weren’t at their best and haven’t been all season.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Nuggets » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:47 am

Salibatelli wrote:
alexis2015finalgoal wrote:Doku is shit. he didn't beat the full-back and the fact he couldn't get a good cross in shows Pep wasted money on him. City as the better side should have broken us down but they lacked the nous.

He’s not and he did beat our full back a few times with his trickery, he just didn’t deliver the cross/pass.

No team finds it easy to break down low block wheb played well as theres no space, as I said you need a monent of brilliance or mistake or lucky break.

I honestly think we went there with the wrong attitude, we were negative and defensive and THAT was our downfall. :dontknow:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:28 am

Nuggets wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

I honestly think we went there with the wrong attitude, we were negative and defensive and THAT was our downfall. :dontknow:

I agree, we should have gone there with more ambition, they had loads of injuries at the back and were there for the taking, we’ll never get a better opportunity yo beat them at home.

Our best Arsenal sides would have had a field day.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:01 am

Maiso wrote:And people say that Arteta is clueless when it comes to tactics. That he has no Plan B.. He keeps showing diversity and tactical flexibility.

He can go super defensive (like when we won the FA cup in 2020) and how we played against Man City on Sunday.

He can go super offensive. Like last season (2022/23).

He can go for control possession football like we have done this season.

He blends a bit of Pep, Wenger and Moyes. Because he is a student of those three managers.. :think:

This is your best post so far. Stick to topics like this and stay far far away from topics that discuss player's skills and football analysis
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:04 am

Salibatelli wrote:
alexis2015finalgoal wrote:Arteta in or out, he nullified Pep.
Gotta give him kudos for that.
Pep had no ideas. Bringing on Doku isn't an idea. Crossing into Haaland who got out-muscled by Gabriel/Saliba isn't an idea.

We used negative tactics, basically keeping 11 players in our half thus not leaving any space to play into, if youre willing to sacrifice attack then you can do that, other teams have done it before.

It then needs a moment of brilliance or a break to break teams down who play like this.

We defended very well, but this isn’t the way teams who want to be champions play, its the way smaller sides who feel inferior play, we basically played low block (Guardiola talked about this in his post match interview and low block is very hard to break down if played with discipline and you don’t make errors).

Guardiola brought on Doku and it did work because he beat our full back a few times but his final ball was poor.

City are suffering from losing Mahrez and Gundogan, Doku has potential but hasn’t found his feet yet, those two produced goals out of nothing at times.

This tactic has always been a problem for Guardiola sides if done well, but the chances of winning playing like this are small and one moment of magic and the game plan is out of the window, it just happens that City arent delievring those magic moments much this season.

No we didn't thats bullcrap Ozim !!!

Everyone knows we can't go toe-to-toe with Man City and with a malfunctioning Saka and Jesus running around like a headless chicken we didn't have significant options to get the ball out. When we did look good was when we won back possession and got on the front foot quickly. We were unable to play the ball out the way we normally do. Odegaard confirmed, we didn't plan on playing so deep, we were forced back. And even then we had the best chances to score !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:06 am

Technically he did get past our fullbacks twice I believe but neither time yielded anything whatsover.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:07 am

Nuggets wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

Wrong - we were not negative and defensive at all.

You peeps need to know the difference between being pushed/forced back and being negative/defensive. There is a reason they haven't lost a game when Rodri plays for them, the guy is a straight up f***ing beast, City dominate possession because they have ball playhers all through their team. Their full backs can pass and bring the ball out, their CBs can pass and bring the ball out too - to the standard of any midfielder, they can go wide or through the middle as opposed to us that tend to have to go wide - so if your wide players are not able to get in the game, we are f***ked.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:17 am

theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

You peeps need to know the difference between being pushed/forced back and being negative/defensive. There is a reason they haven't lost a game when Rodri plays for them, the guy is a straight up f***ing beast, City dominate possession because they have ball playhers all through their team. Their full backs can pass and bring the ball out, their CBs can pass and bring the ball out too - to the standard of any midfielder, they can go wide or through the middle as opposed to us that tend to have to go wide - so if your wide players are not able to get in the game, we are f***ked.

We were camped in our own half for most of the game, which seemed a bit negative to me. It just seemed that we were intimidated for most of the game and let them run roughshod over us. We had a few positive moments but not many. It was not our best game that's for sure.
Nuggets

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:44 am

Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:

We were camped in our own half for most of the game, which seemed a bit negative to me. It just seemed that we were intimidated for most of the game and let them run roughshod over us. We had a few positive moments but not many. It was not our best game that's for sure.

And thats fine, we were in our half a lot, but why ? Thats what you need to ask yourself. Is it because we showed no ambition or was it because City pegged us back ?!

We didn't play a defensive line up, it was the same team bar Jesus that had been slapping up teams by bare goals.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:28 am

theHotHead wrote:No we didn't thats bullcrap Ozim !!!

Everyone knows we can't go toe-to-toe with Man City and with a malfunctioning Saka and Jesus running around like a headless chicken we didn't have significant options to get the ball out. When we did look good was when we won back possession and got on the front foot quickly. We were unable to play the ball out the way we normally do. Odegaard confirmed, we didn't plan on playing so deep, we were forced back. And even then we had the best chances to score !!

We absolutely did, 27% possession tells you all you need to know. Now sure City pinned us back as well but we also then stayed back and barely broke out. I have to say I find it odd that at full strength all we had is 27% possession all match, thats the stats the weaker sides get against superior sides.

Why not, we had a full squad bar Timber, they had their keeper out and injuries as the back as well, if you’re going to win titles you go toe to toe with your rivals and you come through because in the end you are better, thats why you become champions.

People were saying how they were confident we could go there and win as well after our recent form and theirs.

Guardiola is the one that talked about the low block btw, he recognised it.

If you watch us we had everyone in our half
and our attempts at attacks were too slow.

I think Arteta’s plan was to keep it at 0-0 and then bring on Martinelli and Trossard to catch them late on, but it didn’t work.

As for the better chances, I can’t agree, Ake and Haaland had the best chances.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:16 am

Salibatelli wrote:

We absolutely did, 27% possession tells you all you need to know. Now sure City pinned us back as well but we also then stayed back and barely broke out. I have to say I find it odd that at full strength all we had is 27% possession all match, thats the stats the weaker sides get against superior sides.

Why not, we had a full squad bar Timber, they had their keeper out and injuries as the back as well, if you’re going to win titles you go toe to toe with your rivals and you come through because in the end you are better, thats why you become champions.

People were saying how they were confident we could go there and win as well after our recent form and theirs.

I think Arteta’s plan was to keep it at 0-0 and then bring on Martinelli and Trossard to catch them late on, but it didn’t work.

Mikel Pulis went there to get a point and succeeded. Well done.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:18 am

Salibatelli wrote:

We struggled to get out because - and I metioned this in the matchay thread - our CBs are not that good at bringing the ball out/passing as City's. It means that City can bring the ball out at will and bypass our press, if you look at Gabriel and Saliba they were scared to do the same. How many times did they make a progrssive pass ? How many times did they bring the ball out ? Compare that to Akanji, Dias and Ake. What it meant was they always ended up playing he ball to the full back who inevitably had little or no option apart from boot it up the line. That is why we couldn't get out. Also their press was more effective than ours.

Thats the reason we were pegged back, it has nothing to do with bening negative or parking the bus. Yes we had our full squad, but no game in the fixture calendar is more difficult than Man City away for any club. Since last season Man City have only lost 1 game at home !! They have beaten every club at home at least once - in the last 2 seasons that have been played/are being played.

The Ake chance was the best chance of the game, the Haaland chance was a chance to square it for an easy tap in - that he missed, he himself didn't miss a good chance to score. They only had one shot on target.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk