Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:
Santi wrote:Wenger coming home once Daniel Ek takes over

Will end like clough at Forrest, AW has had his day his footballing philosophy is out dated

I'd be more worried about the demand for success and results under Wenger. I think he'd leave the footballing philosophy stuff to the manager but would want to uphold the values of the club.

What demand for success? The club kept handing him one extension after another.

I'm more worried about Wenger's fake sanctimony about responsible spending. One day he'll be all "Sorry Holding didn't cost £50m", and the next he's spending £70m on Xhaka and Mustafi.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Wed May 05, 2021 8:47 pm

zidane to get the boot?

constantly out-classed top managers over the years, won tons of trophies, and now taken an old & injury hit madrid team to the CL semi's and right down to the wire for la liga

time to get him tbh
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 pm

Paddy wrote:zidane to get the boot?

constantly out-classed top managers over the years, won tons of trophies, and now taken an old & injury hit madrid team to the CL semi's and right down to the wire for la liga

time to get him tbh

Nope, Zidane is elite level. A manager like that will attempt to go for Pep or old Jose-level jobs: maximum funds, maximum prestige.

You just aren't going to get an established manager taking over this shipwreck to try to crawl back into Top 6.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 05, 2021 9:01 pm

aniym wrote:

time to get him tbh

Nope, Zidane is elite level. A manager like that will attempt to go for Pep or old Jose-level jobs: maximum funds, maximum prestige.

You just aren't going to get an established manager taking over this shipwreck to try to crawl back into Top 6.

Agree with the Zidane bit, totally disagree that we cannot attract a top manager!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 05, 2021 9:04 pm

............. again.

Tuchel proving I was right about him.

Just arrrived at Chelsea and they're already in a final.

Don't know why so many here don't give him his dues.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed May 05, 2021 9:07 pm

Arteta arrived at Arsenal and had us in a final in a similar amount of matches but nobody rates him either.

Anyway something about Tuchel just not likeable and his football is shit. Done well to make them very solid and not concede but they are more boring to watch than us, can’t argue with results though.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Wed May 05, 2021 9:10 pm

Santi wrote:Arteta arrived at Arsenal and had us in a final in a similar amount of matches but nobody rates him either.

Are you really comparing the fa cup to the champions league?
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 05, 2021 9:10 pm

Santi wrote:Arteta arrived at Arsenal and had us in a final in a similar amount of matches but nobody rates him either.

Anyway something about Tuchel just not likeable and his football is shit. Done well to make them very solid and not concede but they are more boring to watch than us, can’t argue with results though.

You think they are more boring than what we did at Newcastle???

You think beating Real Madrid and getting to a CL final is boring?

I'd rather Tuchel's type of boring than Artea's any day.

Rather be boring and win than boring anc can't even beat Burnley or getting d*cked by Villarreal.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed May 05, 2021 9:13 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:............. again.

Tuchel proving I was right about him.

Just arrrived at Chelsea and they're already in a final.

Don't know why so many here don't give him his dues.

2 finals
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 05, 2021 9:14 pm

aniym wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:
Santi wrote:Wenger coming home once Daniel Ek takes over

Will end like clough at Forrest, AW has had his day his footballing philosophy is out dated

I'd be more worried about the demand for success and results under Wenger. I think he'd leave the footballing philosophy stuff to the manager but would want to uphold the values of the club.

What demand for success? The club kept handing him one extension after another.

I'm more worried about Wenger's fake sanctimony about responsible spending. One day he'll be all "Sorry Holding didn't cost £50m", and the next he's spending £70m on Xhaka and Mustafi.

Exactly. Which is why I said I'd be I'd be worried about it. He had a laxed attitude and looked defeated once the billionaire owners arrived and didn't have an answer for it.

If he's at Board level I doubt he'd handle transfers. That's Edu's job or whoever takes over that DOF role. A responsible spending policy is fine. It's the holding people accountable part that's important and what I'd worry about under Wenger.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 05, 2021 9:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:

time to get him tbh

Agree with the Zidane bit, totally disagree that we cannot attract a top manager!

Top managers aren't looking for 'projects'.

The ones that will accept project type jobs are those that are at the start of their careers (Arteta) or at the end (Ancelotti).
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:18 pm

Our options are limited right now w/most top EU managers like Nagelsman, Tuchel already employed. Available soon Flick, Rodgers (probably in summer) Howe (w/o a club). Don't think any ex Arsenal players can do better than Arteta right now. Maybe take a chance w/Bould?
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 pm

When's the last time we did attract a top manager?

Certainly not in my 30 years as a fan.

Was Graham a top manager?

Rioch, Wenger, Emery and Lolteta weren't.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 05, 2021 9:23 pm

Our options are:

(i) Another young hipster type manager with 'bold ideas', but less hopeless than Arteta

(ii) Another ex-player, but with more managerial experience, like Vieira

(iii) A guy who hasn't been heard of for years, like Benitez or Eddie Howe
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 pm

aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:

time to get him tbh

Top managers aren't looking for 'projects'.

The ones that will accept project type jobs are those that are at the start of their careers (Arteta) or at the end (Ancelotti).

Mourinho is still a big name, he went to Spurs and is now at Roma, the latter of which is a project. I get what you are saying but what you are doing is saying its elite manager or nothing. I disagree. There are plenty of good managers out there who could do big things at Arsenal
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk