Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:
I wouldn't say any manager. We had Freddie in the job and we drew to Norwich, lost to Brighton and drew against Everton and Liege but the loss to Man City was expected. In terms of xG on attack, we were worse but statistically there was an improvement over Emery looking at the oppositions xG but Arteta has still done better than Freddie against tougher opponents and during the Christmas period.

It's really early to judge and there are good and bad things with Arteta. He's not as bad as a Freddie and I'm still annoyed at Freddie's team selection, openly blaming Kolasinac for a mistake that should fall on Freddie for not getting his player ready quick enough for a sub and airing out stuff that should have stayed in house because he just added to the toxic environment with that approach.

On man management, I think Arteta has came in with the right approach. I'm happy with what he's doing tactically, he's handled himself in the press well....my main criticism comes back to picking Xhaka all the time and his subs. Other than that it's just the results that are disappointing. Chelsea will be a hard game but I think the next 6 games are winnable. Bournemouth(FA Cup), Burnley, Newcastle, Olympiacos (UL) Everton and Olympiacos at home. If we don't start picking up wins in these games we can start to panic.

If it turns out that we've made a blunder with Arteta, the attention has to turn to Raul Sanhelli.

Yeah Freddie was terrible, but he was part of the Emery coaching staff so learnt from him, his lineups were also shocking I agree.

Yes there's been some positives, I'm just not sure that as a rookie he's been able to have the desired impact, certainly results wise he hasn't. Agree about Xhaka, he seems to have a blind spot when it comes to him, which worries me, as do his subs which have been questionnable both in terms of timing and personnel.

in truth though playing players in their correct positions has obviously had an impact, Torreira being the obvious example, to some extent his job has been done for him due to injuries, I'd be interested to see who he picks if everyone is fit, that for me wil give us a greater insight as to whether he knows what he's doing or not.

You say those games are winnable but to be honest we've been unconvincing, you just feel we can drop points in any game as we never look ruthless and able to put games to bed, we drew with Bournemouth last time round away and have 3 consecutive away matches now, I'm not confident on us getting any of the results and nothing Arteta has done has changed that, just like when Emery arrived we only play for 45 minutes and against Sheff Utd we were outworked.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zanatos3 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:09 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Zanatos3 wrote:True

But the other part that people are neglecting to mention

Half the window gone &

Certain players should still be & should have already been Shipped out in THIS WINDOW!....

We Nearly Had Musti&Xhaka Definitely OUT set pre-order in the 1st week of January, NO RETURNS!!!!

But then we allowed the mediocre games to give them time to creep back in, so that we could get RE-RAPED by Liverpool & City when

the Window closes.

Like you say its Kronke's lack of Management

Do you think that Roman Abramovich would have let Raul Salmonella Keep his job after buying the wrong parts in the summer

& letting the club slip DOWN to 10th for the 1st time in Decades.

Raul would have been shown the door Promptly, just as Barca kicked him out for screwing up the Suarez signing.

Kronke doesn't care to change things nor add funds to improve the personnel.

Window isn't closed yet, lets see if Raul & Edu buy what we NEED this time, [ Instead of nice fowards to BE EXCITED about ]

I'm More concerned that there's no Deadwood heading OUT!

Lol!!

You are forgetting that a club cannot move on players if they don't want to go! So all the will in the world won't shift Mustafi, for example, if he does not agree to being sold

When last have you heard the term...GIROUD ?

We know he's slow & old & can only knock down the ball for other people or shoot when facing goal, he has no dribble, can't even go past 1 defender.

Lampard knows he's strong & can do a job but he knows Tammy is younger & can do everything Giroud can & Miles more, Dribble, Pace, Change of Pace, different shots, hold up play, & take on an entire back line confidently bring others into play or score himself.

Giroud is 100% fit yet been on the bench whole season, Arsenal fans have forgotten to even complain about the lack of use of him, because Frank's faith was instantly rewarded, & even in the hard times they are going through no, Frank STILL playing shorter Batshyuai as the sub for Tammy, because he a better baller, younger faster, suits thier style of play better & he's a Killer infront on goal, got the instinct & everything.

Giroud has all the money for Hair product that he needs for life, but do you think hes' happy not playing football?

Do you think with Frank keeping him on the bench eternally even when Chelsea are losing, that he'll stay past THIS WINDOW just to be
content to play FORTNITE like Mustafi & Ozil?

No....he benched him whole season so that Giroud would know for SURE that he's going to rot a t Chelsea, so that he'd leave
on his own terms in this window.

Emery was trying to do that, nearly sucessfully & rightfully so with Mustafi, Ozil & Finally he saw the lack of light form Xhaka, the stats on them are clear, yet Emery lacked the Tactical nuance to improve Willock's skill & the teams transition play, & the worst mistake of all freezing out Torreira.

So Emery wasn't perfect, but he was trying to do some good things.

Arteta seems to have learned not only from Pep but seems to have his own Idea of a clear plan and structure, transition and game concept that we've seen against ManU, something that Emery lacked. Yet he gave everyone a 2nd chance....fair play there, I Know Arteta is smart & will be an Excellent manager. I know he's not bilnd & he sees Ozil SEEING the goal, but then still overhitting a pass wide to Saka, because he was actually thinking about shooting...its up to Arty to coach the confidence into Ozil to become a real no.10 like KDM, to unlock his mind & to give him a goal tally for the season as Wenger did, 10 or so mandatory, have him train to shoot for goal. If he fails to adapt & improve, then he has to go, simple as that. Over time Arty will see who can adapt & who tries but can't & he'll have to move those players on. I wish we were playing Liverpool & City in this window so he could see the players against Quality opposition & decide NOW who should leave in the January Transfer Window. If they don't want to go, as you said, then Bench them & play youth as Lampard has done successfully! thats what I'd like to see. . . . anyway Time will tell.

[ On Mustafi, who would play instead of him to bench him eternally, Upgrade Zech Medley 6ft3 CB 19yr old to the 1st team to help Sokri & Luiz!]
[Spurs did it with Japhet Tanganga who looks excellent, only 20yrs old 6ft0....the defensive coaching staff at Spurs & Liverpool seem to be vastly Superior though!]
Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 pm

elkanofan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Your getting emotional with this silly response

You really should learn to read what you wrote. Keyword: this (i.e., the post you responded to).

How have I contradicted myself with bringing up China? Bringing it up is absolutely relevant because you were the one throwing a fit about China getting ready to buy all this talent even though it's a shit league, yet you also just claimed Arsenal won't be able to buy good players this summer without CL. However, Arsenal is in a better city and in a better league than any CSL team, and has money to spend. So, please explain how you reached such an asinine conclusion. Is it so hard for you to admit that sometimes you don't know what you're talking about and are speaking out of your ass, or is your ego that fragile?

*after, not when

Lol wow. This is an truly epic meltdown.

The absence of replies shows people like me feel bad for you right now but as you said. Glass houses, stones etc....

The reason that you mentioning China was ridiculous and totally irrelevant is simply that we are competing against 5 of the the top 6 clubs who have all been better in performance over the last 5 years, all bar United are better run clubs than we are and these clubs will be able to attract players to their teams over us. Not to mention Barca, Real, Atletico, Juventus, PSG, Inter, Bayern and BVB.

The China discussion was about how the CSL's spending power would disrupt the european transfer network and it will hurt the 3rd tier clubs like Marseille, Valencia, Ajax, Benfica, Roma, Monchengladbach teams who have Champions League football usually but cannot compete with the wages of the elite clubs and Chinese so guys like Hulk, Oscar, Johnathan Viera, Bakambu, Carrasco and Pelle are pissing about in China rather than adding to the competitiveness is a financially bankupt Europe.

Again, everyone could see how stupid and irrelevant your point is to that we will be in a very weak position to sign the players we need this summer, just like what's happened to AC Milan over the last 7-8 years.

LMAO wrote:Yeah, yeah, all this humble pie crap. Continue to bring it up all you want. If I'm wrong about us having moved up the table by the end of March, then I'll eat my humble pie and move on with my life. But, at least I'll own up to it unlike you who still hasn't admitted you were chatting shit about us finding ourselves in a relegation battle (and about the CSL becoming a top league and turning Europe on its head in the process).

No cap, you seem like a sad dude who gets off on some strange pseudo-intellectualism. Also, learn proper spelling (like the difference between your and you're that you constantly get wrong). It might make your pseudo-intellectualism a little more tolerable.

HotHead was right. You're not worth it. Bit like playing chess with a pigeon.

Awww. Well at least your little tantrum is over now, sadly you have exposed your own elitist mentality over others who disagree with you. That's the real pseudo-intellectualism happening here, like you showed with the humble pie post, you really think your better than others so I called you out.

I'm here because I love Arsenal my team for life and i have the balls to say what's on my mind and debate on whatever is happening with our club and that's it.

I always admit when I'm wrong, its an important part of life. The pseudo-intellectualism bit really made me laugh, again exposing your own ego, you underestimated me and others you disagree with and your scrambling around trying to save face but you just ended up having a total meltdown.

Karma hurts. That's why i always stay objective and on point no matter how much i wrote :)

You keep saying meltdown, so show me where this meltdown is. I haven't been mad or lost control or whatever. And you're going to look dumb if you bring up the humble pie here; I said that matter-of-factly, not through anger or hype.

No one else has joined in—not because I'm right and you're wrong, or I'm wrong and you're right—but because you're annoying to deal with. You're constantly posting novellas that offer little substance, don't say anything new, or are already generally agreed upon (looking forward to ignoring another one of your long-ass Ozil rants today where you repeat him being ineffective and overpaid for the millionth time). But those rare times you do go against the grain, no one has the time to debate with novellas or someone who refuses to shift their position despite being wrong. The only reason you 'win' 99.9% of the time is through attrition, like now. I didn't underestimate you. I just don't care about your opinion of me or saving face like you seem to think I want to do.

You say you admit when you're wrong, but you don't. You're constantly moving the goalposts (such as with the CSL. Those third tier clubs in Europe were still signing 99.9% of the good players over them going to China.), you still haven't admitted you were wrong about us being in a relegation fight, and most famous of your recent blunders, you still haven't admitted you got it wrong by arguing with posters here and agreeing with Emery that it was in both the team's and Torreira's best interests for him to be our 10 (or at least the most attacking CM). So don't come in here and beat your chest saying you love a debate when it's not a debate you love, rather it's the soapboxing and the grandstanding you seem to enjoy.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Zanatos3 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:33 pm

MUSTI-OZIL&XHAKA Again , the 3 stooges

Prove me wrong Arty that we shouldn't play these 3 in the same line up ever again.

Predicted L last time, we got a Draw.....he said this game is a must win ..& he Starts the same 3 players.....

Must Win....theres the bench & 3 substitutions to save face.

I still see an L even though Chelsea ain't soild right now

I hope he proves me wrong, although if we get an L & Arty realises that the Jan Transfer window is an Escape Valve for at least

TWO of these 3 players this month.... I wouldn't mind.... 1 game, 1 L, & we have impetus to sell 2 & go in the window & get 1 or 2 qual players

in a position we NEED ... CB,LB,RB,DM Proper Defensive Signings...No Matchstick Men.
Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Zanatos3 wrote:MUSTI-OZIL&XHAKA Again , the 3 stooges

Prove me wrong Arty that we shouldn't play these 3 in the same line up ever again.

Predicted L last time, we got a Draw.....he said this game is a must win ..& he Starts the same 3 players.....

I hope he proves me wrong, although if we get an L & Arty realises that the Jan Transfer window is an Escape Valve for at least

TWO of these 3 players this month.... I wouldn't mind.... 1 game, 1 L, & we have impetus to sell 2 & go in the window & get 1 or 2 qual players

in a position we NEED ... CB,LB,RB,DM Proper Defensive Signings...No Matchstick Men.

DG said he's offering valium. Might want to see if he has any left.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm

lol
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 pm

LMAO wrote:You keep saying meltdown, so show me where this meltdown is. I haven't been mad or lost control or whatever. And you're going to look dumb if you bring up the humble pie here; I said that matter-of-factly, not through anger or hype.

That what this is :rofll: and a epic one too.

apparently I am:

LMAO wrote:HotHead was right. You're not worth it. Bit like playing chess with a pigeon.

Yet:

LMAO wrote:No one else has joined in—not because I'm right and you're wrong, or I'm wrong and you're right—but because you're annoying to deal with. You're constantly posting novellas that offer little substance, don't say anything new, or are already generally agreed upon (looking forward to ignoring another one of your long-ass Ozil rants today where you repeat him being ineffective and overpaid for the millionth time). But those rare times you do go against the grain, no one has the time to debate with novellas or someone who refuses to shift their position despite being wrong. The only reason you 'win' 99.9% of the time is through attrition, like now. I didn't underestimate you. I just don't care about your opinion of me or saving face like you seem to think I want to do.

So instead of leaving it and moving on your actually getting personal as if this is Jerry Springer or Dr Phil, not a forum about the team we love. Man, your ego is incredible, i give you that one thing. You still seem to think this is some sort of battle to who's the best poster, i don't give a shit, I say whats on my mind. Nothing more. If i'm living rent free in your head which is obvious by how personal your getting and the contradictory points you make about my essasys being horrible and not worth bothering with yet your happy to throw everything you had bottled up about me you dislike out here.

LMAO wrote:You say you admit when you're wrong, but you don't.

well.

LMAO wrote:HotHead was right. You're not worth it. Bit like playing chess with a pigeon.

Apparently you don't even see my essays as worthy of reading so when i admit I'm wrong i'm sure you will be last to know as you said yourself. I'm not even worth it anyway. ;)

LMAO wrote:You're constantly moving the goalposts (such as with the CSL. Those third tier clubs in Europe were still signing 99.9% of the good players over them going to China.),

lol like Oscar and Hulk would ever join Ajax dropping his insane 300k+ wages a week for the glory of winning the Eredevisie!

LMAO wrote:you still haven't admitted you were wrong about us being in a relegation fight,

We have won 3 games in the league since October 1st and only 7 points off the dropzone level with teams such as Everton and Newcastle so if we ain't in the relegation fight then I guess Everton, Newcastle aren't either. We are that bad right now this is a very real possibility.

LMAO wrote:and most famous of your recent blunders, you still haven't admitted you got it wrong by arguing with posters here and agreeing with Emery that it was in both the team's and Torreira's best interests for him to be our 10 (or at least the most attacking CM). So don't come in here and beat your chest saying you love a debate when it's not a debate you love, rather it's the soapboxing and the grandstanding you seem to enjoy.

I will give you a medal if you find and quote me saying Torreria was ever used as a number 10. What Emery was doing was out of the 3 midfielders he allowed Torreria to run forward the most out of Xhaka and Matteo, because hes faster than the other two. I said this over and over but Emery is gone anyway. I agreed with this at the time and now you see why we have shit midfield where nobody can carry the ball, so Emery saw Torreria as the only midfielder capable of doing this even though its clearly not his best position, then again we sold 3 midfielders who used to do this which sums up why this season has been such a disaster.

Anyway, if you want to continue this hilarious meltdown and continue to character assassinate me, go ahead, It's not my problem i'm living rent free in your head. You just need to man up and mature to the fact just because someone doesn't agree with you i don't mean you can get on your high horse and chat shit without people like me callling you out :) :biggrin:
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:43 pm

If mustafi starts another league game then ArtetaOut
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zanatos3 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:13 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Zanatos3 wrote:MUSTI-OZIL&XHAKA Again , the 3 stooges

DG said he's offering valium. Might want to see if he has any left.

Mustafi Definitely going to NEED it after this match...just to escape the stadium!

Luckily XHAKA seems to have some on his shoes, so good looking out! :)
Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:22 pm

Tony Adams wrote:If mustafi starts another league game then ArtetaOut

Chambers injured

Luiz suspended.

Mustafi starts
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Ach wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:If mustafi starts another league game then ArtetaOut

Chambers injured

Luiz suspended.

Mustafi starts
Chambers-Xhaka
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Just had a shiver down my spine imagining what this result would have been under emery
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby BS221B » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:09 pm

We will see better days after replacing Mustafi and Xhaka with better players.

Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Saliba, Torreira, Geondouzi, and Martinelli are going to be the spine of the Arsenal for the next decade. All we need to do is filling around them with capable players.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jedi » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 pm

That head of hair won't last long with this kind of defending...
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 pm

Really starting to think as I said before Arteta got here, I think we could be good playing that 4-1-4-1 Leicester type of play.

Thats twice now with 10 men we've looked better with two compact banks of 4.

When we play 4-2-3-1 we always look ponderous and disjointed.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk