Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:23 pm

Goonerred wrote:I wonder what reaction he would get if the fans were in the stadium...? We should have some back before the end of the season.

I think he did have a fair bit of support across the fan base, but the recent results - particularly at home - have swayed most people toward not caring much if he's sacked - or actively wanting him sacked.

Last 10 home matches in all comps:

P10 W3 D3 L4 F10 A12

During that run we lost all hope of top four and exited the EL. And of course we exited the FA Cup away to Southampton.

Al in all it's been a shit run of results.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Tue May 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Goonerred wrote:I wonder what reaction he would get if the fans were in the stadium...? We should have some back before the end of the season.

I think he did have a fair bit of support across the fan base, but the recent results - particularly at home - have swayed most people toward not caring much if he's sacked - or actively wanting him sacked.

P10 W3 D3 L4 F10 A12

During that run we lost all hope of top four and exited the EL. And of course we exited the FA Cup away to Southampton.

I didn't want us to appoint Arteta, but I was prepared to give him a chance and give him time once he was. As other posters have stated, and I agree, he wouldn't have lasted this long at another club. I would be happy if he was given more time if I could see improvement and a future plan, but it all seems like rabbit in the headlights stuff to me. Nobody speaking in the media could condone our lacklustre performance over two legs of a semi-final in a competeition that guarantees CL if you win it, never mind a trophy to play for in the final.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Tue May 11, 2021 1:38 pm

He’d be gone were it not for games being played in an empty stadium.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Phil71 wrote:

P10 W3 D3 L4 F10 A12

I think he has lost most of his support now and those tha didn't want him in the first place will be vociferous and those that turned against him and don't like him at all - like me - will also be vociferous. Not everyone that wants him gone will be willing to make noise, just like it was during the Wenger Chronicles, but I think there will be more than enough fans who want him gone that are willing to make enough noise for people to take note.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Tue May 11, 2021 5:51 pm

Rockape wrote:I'm sure there are much cleverer people running our Club than me, so why won't they see that and act on it?

Don't be so sure. :P

Recent studies have proven that most billionaires aren't billionaires because they're smart. It's down to factors like legacy, inheritance, monopoly, or plain 'ol luck. With the resources at their disposal, they then hire highly intelligent people, surround themselves with sophisticated experts, which further amps up their wealth and status.

I read that JK Rowling, Kanye West, and Jay-Z are amongst the few billionaires in the West, who are self-made—as in they didn't come from already affluent families. There might be more. Haven't looked at it. But mostly, you can become self-made multimillionaires but not billionaires.

Take Messi and Ronaldo for example. Two of the biggest sporting superstars of the modern era and even they aren't billionaires.

The problem with the Kroenkes is that they haven't hired such top professionals to run Arsenal. Ever since Wenger left, we've been in a perennial state of transition. Whether it's Gazidis' "revolution," his subsequent departure and the new structure with Sanllehi and Vinai, the arrival and promotions of Edu and Mikel; the firing of the scouting department, and now the recruitment of another set of scouts.

It's a classic case of mismanagement.

Not saying any of us could do the job. Maybe we can't. But we're not owners of Arsenal either. At this stage, we're the worst run club amongst the so called big top-6.

Folks like the Kroenkes view Arsenal as an investment, not a community. Kroenke bought Arsenal for less than a £1b outright, and today, Arsenal is valued at £2b. He's already doubled his investment.

One of the first things City did after the takeover was hire a top-notch business executive in Khaldoon Al Mubarak. He hired Barca's top football chief (Txiki Begiristain). Txiki has been with City for a decade now.

Ditto Chelsea. Apart from being a hands-on owner, Abramovich brought Marina Granovskaia along with him. She's been their DoF for 17-18 years now.

All the while, we've had David Dein and Nina Bracewell-Smith introduce wrong people to the club. Gazidis was hired for marketing reasons. Since Gazidis, we've hired a Nike guy like Sanllehi who was sacked for swindling money out of the club. We hired another fella (Edu) who was involved in a corruption scandal with his buddy Kia Joorabchian in Brazil, whilst recruiting mediocre managers/coaches.

We've spent over £250m since Wenger departed. How many of them are regular starters here? Leno, Gabriel, and Tierney? Mr Solution claimed that we lost against Villarreal because Xhaka couldn't play as a LB due to injury. :rolleyes:

It's a mess.

That said, I don't think the Kroenkes care. They signed up for the ESL because we wouldn't be relegated. Who cares about performing or competing? No matter how awful we were, we wouldn't be relegated. Arsenal would earn £300m base through the super league alone. That's excluding PL money, or TV rights of the ESL.

I get the feeling that they're satisfied as long as we're mid-table in the Prem.

Any sensible owner would have sacked Arteta by now, so that the next guy in would get a chance to access the squad, would get a pre-season, a summer. It also wouldn't be a remark on Arteta's managerial prowess. Sometimes it works. Other times, it doesn't. But nope. Arsenal are willing to gamble another season in hopes of Arteta making it here.

Come November, if we're still 8th, would he be sacked? I doubt it. I hope I'm wrong. I don't see him being sacked unless we're 15th by November.

I doubt we'd be that bad, however.

Phil71 wrote:Kroenke is happy with mid table.

Top four costs more money, as does fighting relegation. Sitting there comfortably in 8th or 10th place is just fine.

I believe this is the thing.

While they'd obviously love it if we returned to their version of glory years from 2011-17, they're well aware of the fact that top-4 would require considerable investment or hiring a top-class manager who can punch above his weight.

Top, top players would also not settle for top-4 like this current lot.

A standard mid-table position wouldn't need as much investment nor much involvement from the top brass.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 11, 2021 8:50 pm

Angelito wrote:
Rockape wrote:I'm sure there are much cleverer people running our Club than me, so why won't they see that and act on it?

Don't be so sure. :P

Recent studies have proven that most billionaires aren't billionaires because they're smart. It's down to factors like legacy, inheritance, monopoly, or plain 'ol luck. With the resources at their disposal, they then hire highly intelligent people, surround themselves with sophisticated experts, which further amps up their wealth and status.

Take Bezos for e.g

Richest man in the world because of nothing but right place right time.

The scope of his idea was an online book shop, that's what he set out to achieve.

The only reason Amazon became what it did is because he had the bare bones structure in place to expand just by mere suggestion because he had the acorn of an online store.

Friend: So Bezos what does Amazon do?

Bezos: We're an online bookstore.

Friend: Oh right do you sell anything else?

............ its as easy as that, the wheels start turning and the next thing you know he has a global online shop which sells absolutely everything.

He was just right place, right time and with the bare minimum structure already in place in what was becoming an online globalised world.

Its like the guy who expanded McDonalds, the only reason McDonalds was a success is because some accountant over heard him asking for a loan in a bank and asked him to have a look at his books because he couldn't believe why they weren't making money, he then told him his real assest was land, that as the franchise owner of McDonalds he should buy the land the restaurants are built on so he collects franchise money and rent on top.

Without that accountant he'd never have had that idea and McDonalds may not have become a billion dollar business.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Wed May 12, 2021 12:26 am

theHotHead wrote:I don't know a single Arsenal fan who is "ok" with the situation. What with the furore over the ESL I expect the atmosphere with fans to be Wenger-level toxic

Who on earth here is backing Arteta?

Wenger at least had his staunch fans who always backed him to the bitter end.

Who in the good lord is actually backing this puppet muppet we have as a so called manager?
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockape » Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am

Who on earth here is backing Arteta?

No one in the fan base and surely his support within the Club is eroding very quickly. He’s got to be a dead man walking.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Paddy » Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 am

Jokeram
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Santi » Wed May 12, 2021 12:18 pm

Rockape wrote:Who on earth here is backing Arteta?

No one in the fan base and surely his support within the Club is eroding very quickly. He’s got to be a dead man walking.

The board are, hence we might as well hope that he turns it around.

Spend money, fix the team and hide his flaws while he hopefully learns.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 12, 2021 1:23 pm

The people that matter are backing him. These are not the words of a guy who's on the way out.

Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Wed May 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Hes just called players out for not giving their all

a dangerous game to play

could be the beginning of the end for him

https://youtu.be/VmkI-SkGEhw
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 12, 2021 2:14 pm

Paddy wrote:Hes just called players out for not giving their all

a dangerous game to play

He's expecting to keep the players that trust The Process and dump the ones that don't.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Wed May 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Paddy wrote:Hes just called players out for not giving their all

a dangerous game to play

Getting his excuses in early.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Wed May 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Santi wrote:

No one in the fan base and surely his support within the Club is eroding very quickly. He’s got to be a dead man walking.[/quote

The board are, hence we might as well hope that he turns it around.

Spend money, fix the team and hide his flaws while he hopefully learns.

He won’t turn it around he’s an awful manager. Our best hope is that he does so badly they are forced to get rid of him early, otherwise it will be another year wasted.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk