Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Ach » Wed May 15, 2024 8:31 pm

I guess we know what Jay has been doing during his ban. Making up some award for arteta
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36636
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Wed May 15, 2024 8:44 pm

ag6789 wrote:Zidane is unproven outside Real Madrid. Anchelotti 's 2nd season at Chelsea was dreadful. Anyone could win a title with star studded Chelsea those days. Like anyone can win La Liga with Real Madrid filled with superstars.
Anchelotti's real test came when he took over Everton. Managing and improving a struggling
team.Did poorly and ran at first instance for greener pastures.
Few managers have the balls to withstand pressure and improve a team. Arteta has done that and will deliver major trophies in near future.
For all practical purposes, no other manager in sight to do better at Arsenal at this point.
Talking about Zidane, he has clearly stated that other than Real Madrid he would like to manage the French team. Doesn't seem to have the balls to go through the hard grind needed at Arsenal. Wants the easiest way out, manage well endowed and well built teams ( already) where competition is less intense.

Real Madrid is the most demanding team in European football to manage. You are expected to win everything all the time. They dont suffer fools who talk up processes.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7919
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby ag6789 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:18 pm

La Liga has 1/4 th competitive to PL. One big worry out of your head. Real managers demand who they want and gets them. No one in their league can outbid them. Another worry gone. They play 3 tournaments instead of 4 in England. Another less problem. Because CL qualifying isn't an issue for them they are usually ranked and have an easy passage into KO rounds. And because of their history in CL, they are favoured in advanced rounds in critical stages. Like ,kind of Fergie time for ManU. All these play a part in making them a success year in year out. It all adds up little by little.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 5288
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Salibatelli » Wed May 15, 2024 11:03 pm

Did you see our group? We were lucky as well
as we snuck in as second seeds because many top teams ranked above us surprisingly didn’t qualify. We then had one of the easiest last 16 ties

Real get who they want because they are the biggest most successful team in the world, but with that comes a lot more pressure, at Real if you don’t win the league or CL you’re out, even if you win the league but don’t win the CL you can be out.

Real also had Barcelona to contend with for years, it’s only since Covid that Barcelona haven’t been bidding for the biggest stars.

At Arsenal you don’t have to win anything and haven’t had to for 20 years, in many ways it’s one of the easiest jobs in football, no pressure to win. 100% support, huge financial backing, a big group of fans who accept failure and will sit there happy for years with excuses about why we can’t win, loads of time even when not performing.

It’s well known the Real job is one of the hardest and highest pressure in football, failure is not an option there and you also have to deal with big ego’s which isn’t always easy. Managers often don’t last at Real due to the level of expectation and fans make no excuses for failure, it’s not acceptable.

Real aren’t favoured, they have game changers and belief which is why they get through, they beat all the best teams around.

As for the 3 cups instead of 4, Real often play the world club cup because of winning the CL and the Super Cup, meanwhile we’ve been playing 1 tournament as season due to no Europe or getting or knocked out early and getting nowhere in the domestic cups.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023
 
Posts: 17521
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby UFGN » Wed May 15, 2024 11:15 pm

theHotHead wrote:
UFGN wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
UFGN wrote:
theHotHead wrote:As usual there are merits to both sides of the argument but we have been in a position of challenging for the big trophies now for 2 seasons. Some of you are acting like spoilt children/primadonnas !

I could understand if it were 4 seasons coming up short, we are only at one season at this point in time (season aint over yet!)!


So the two other seasons don’t count at all? That’s convenient

It’s been four and a half years. Record investment. It is completely reasonable to expect a major trophy given the overall circumstances. The failure tolerance is too high at Arsenal and that is a hangover from people’s Wenger daddy issues that held us back for so long.

There is also the issue of the club’s disgusting performance in most cup competitions since he became manager.

Meh, so it took him 2 seasons to build a title challenging team.

At the very beginning, irrespective of which manager got the Arsenal job, if you were asked how you would feel about being geniune title challengers in 2 years you would've said "I'll take that" in a hearbeat. So I don't know where this negativity is coming from. It took Pep a year to make City contenders and look what their starting position was when he took over in 2016 !! It took Klopp 4 years to make Liverpool contenders.

And you man are complaining that it has taken Arteta 2 years ?!! Get real.


City easily won the title last season.

You haven’t even addressed his shit cup runs despite having no Europe one of those seasons

You’re spinning. If he’d been successful you wouldn’t need to spin or make omissions.

The performance in the cups is terrible, it must improve. But I am not going to say sack him because he did shit in the League and FA Cups but has made us genuine contenders in the league and took us to the CL QF.

And you didn't address my point. If you were told genuine title challengers in 2 seasons ytou would've taken it, right?!


No, if I was told the whole picture, no I absolutely wouldn't take winning nothing,
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

Image
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
 
Posts: 23674
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 16, 2024 12:09 am

ag6789 wrote:La Liga has 1/4 th competitive to PL. One big worry out of your head. Real managers demand who they want and gets them. No one in their league can outbid them. Another worry gone. They play 3 tournaments instead of 4 in England. Another less problem. Because CL qualifying isn't an issue for them they are usually ranked and have an easy passage into KO rounds. And because of their history in CL, they are favoured in advanced rounds in critical stages. Like ,kind of Fergie time for ManU. All these play a part in making them a success year in year out. It all adds up little by little.


In the last 4 years, 3 teams have won La Liga. Villarreal and Sevilla have won Europa 3 times and made deep CL runs. Meanwhile in England, the same team has won the PL 4/4 times.

Some of you sound like large language models that haven't ingested any new data for several years.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham
 
Posts: 13142
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:25 am

22-0 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
22-0 wrote:bad luck? he got it all wrong vs aston villa with his selection that made us lose the lead over city.

We also started the season with that horrible havertz in midfield formation.. yet he learned nothing from it.

Yesh - tell me who is perfect FFS ?!!!

Listen to your agument, you are fuming that he put Havertz back into midfield from CF where he was doing really well, I agree. But its the same manager that bought Havertz that none of us wanted and that all of us bar Jay thought was shit - until he played at CF.

The point I am making is perhaps Arteta saw something/had an idea that he thought would work. Yes he f***ked up, but who is perfect at their job ? I am bloody fantastic at mine ... but I am certainly not perfect.


whos fuming? im just pointing out he made a giant mistake he already knew that wouldn't work on previous games.. you even agree yet defend it. You say its bad luck but its not.

If your argument should be that a manager needs to be perfect I am telling you that none of them are not Pep, not Klopp, not even Jesus Christ was perfect, because even he sinned. People make mistakes
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 am

Nuggets wrote:
22-0 wrote:bad luck? he got it all wrong vs aston villa with his selection that made us lose the lead over city.

We also started the season with that horrible havertz in midfield formation.. yet he learned nothing from it.


....and that's the difference between good management and poor wannabe management. WTF he thought Havertz would do well in that position cost us big time, obviously, he didn't do his homework on that one. I think now perhaps he has but it's a bit late. He will be here with us next season and I pray that his arrogance doesn't cost us again. We have had a great team all season but he fcuked up managing them.

Its easy to be clever in hindsight.

One argument could be that because Havertz had found his footing in the team and was playing with confidence he might bring that form and confidence into playing in midfield. Not beyond the realms of belief that something like that would work. It didn't, like I said its easy to be clever in hindsight .

Turns out, Havertz in CF has worked out fantastically well for us, nobody wanted us to sign Havertz in the first place, Arteta made a big decision, a bold one and it has worked out very well for us.
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:33 am

TedLasso wrote:We should simply hire a manager that never loses. Why aren't the Kroenke's doing this? Are they stupid?

Well quite.

I can't believe these boys are making me defend Arteta, a manager I don't rate at all, with their ridiculous comments!!
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:36 am

Salibatelli wrote:He’s not won anything though.

Pep struggled against the top 6 this season and yet it looks like he’s going to win the title again.

We’re hearing all the excuses for failure to get over the line, most goals, most wins, beaten every manager etc etc

Personally would rather not be concerned about those and have silverware, maybe it’s just me.

Well this is an interesting point because I have said it before, you don't need to beat the top 6 teams to win the league they yield so few points compared to points against the non top 6 teams.

Sometimes we place too much emphasis on beating out peers, we can lose to them, we just need to make sure we don't lose to the others.
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:38 am

Deleted
Last edited by theHotHead on Thu May 16, 2024 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:39 am

UFGN wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
22-0 wrote:bad luck? he got it all wrong vs aston villa with his selection that made us lose the lead over city.

We also started the season with that horrible havertz in midfield formation.. yet he learned nothing from it.

Yesh - tell me who is perfect FFS ?!!!

Listen to your agument, you are fuming that he put Havertz back into midfield from CF where he was doing really well, I agree. But its the same manager that bought Havertz that none of us wanted and that all of us bar Jay thought was shit - until he played at CF.

The point I am making is perhaps Arteta saw something/had an idea that he thought would work. Yes he f***ked up, but who is perfect at their job ? I am bloody fantastic at mine ... but I am certainly not perfect.


You say you don’t like Arteta then spend most of your time on here with your tongue up his arse

He doesn’t have to be perfect, he just has to win trophies, that’s all. So you save it with the straw man bs. Nobody is asking for him to be perfect.

Oh shut up you muppet

If you jackasses didn't spend all day making stupid arguments I wouldn't have to defend him!! The fact I dont rate him but am willing to defend him tells you how pathetic some of your arguments are!!
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:45 am

Salibatelli wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Postecoglou said in his pre match interview then when he walks around the halls there’s no bragging rights trophies, this applies to us as there are no trophies for most goals or most points of best defence.

You only get trophies for being number 1 and beating everyone else, everything else is kinda irrelevant, history doesn’t remember who came 2nd, noone ever goes this team were great remember when they came 2nd twice in a row, what an amazing team.

Losing finalists in the CL final aren’t celebrating after the whistle for getting to the CL final, FA cup finalists aren’t happy when they lose the final.


Absolutely

Too many man babies in our support who think they’re in primary school, arguing with school kids that their club is the bestist. Pathetic.


It’s become normalised at this club to have excuses for not getting over the line, we’ve had 20 years of it.

Always next year, we came 2nd last year this should have been the year when we won it, yes we’ve been good this year bit a season runs from August to May not from January to May, we had a poor run late last year and weren’t great then we had breaks galore and had a good run in January/February but a title winning side is relentless in the home straight bit we blinked and that was tha(.

Everyone was saying how Man City aren’t the same and how this is our chance, how we beat them and Liverpool etc but at the end of it all it looks like they are going to go home with the trophy.

You bitches would crumble to dirt if you had to support a team that had no chance of winning anything!!

Man is calling people man babies and the ones acting like f***ing babies throwing bare toys out of prams is him and his crew.

Get a grip!
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Managerial

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:48 am

Marsbar100 wrote:We could have beat city with the chances Jesus had in the away game, that and the Villa games looks to have cost us.

Isn't that saying something though, that you are highlighting 2 games in a 38 game season that were a problem?! 5% of the matches played
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 16, 2024 7:50 am

Ach wrote:Ancelotti did poorly at Everton? Lol wtf

Did well enough to get real Madrid interested

Had a shit ending to the season but were top 8 for most of it but couldn't maintain it. It's Everton lol. They've been nowhere near as good as they were under him since

Weren't they top of the league for the first part of a season with DCL scoring bare goals?! :think:
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21012
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: swipe right, VCC and 11 guests