Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:56 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:We’ve played five teams so far. Four are in the lower half, two in the relegation zone. Bournemouth got hit for nine and lost Parker, Gerard is probably next to go. We are not going to play this level of competition every week. Additionally our squad is razor thin. We struggle to progress play without Partey and there is no substitute for him in sight. You could say the same about our front three. If one of them gets injured there is no one to step in. So we have weaknesses that have yet to be exposed. Stay positive but keep your feet on the ground.

City have played 5 teams in the bottom half currently.
We’re 2 points ahead of them.
I don’t see the need to belittle our start to the season. It’s been brilliant.

Third season in a row when you run the hype train down the track. Let’s hope you don’t get derailed again.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby BexleyGooner » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:58 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:We’ve played five teams so far. Four are in the lower half, two in the relegation zone. Bournemouth got hit for nine and lost Parker, Gerard is probably next to go. We are not going to play this level of competition every week. Additionally our squad is razor thin. We struggle to progress play without Partey and there is no substitute for him in sight. You could say the same about our front three. If one of them gets injured there is no one to step in. So we have weaknesses that have yet to be exposed. Stay positive but keep your feet on the ground.

Jay, it’s not worth arguing, some on here will just constantly move the goalposts whatever we do.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:00 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Third season in a row when you run the hype train down the track. Let’s hope you don’t get derailed again.

Smh.
We’ve been improving exactly as I envisioned and discussed since March 2021. I am not surprised at all, Far from the direction of the club being derailed , it’s accelerating pace.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:01 pm

Let's just call it like it is without the extremes. There is no reason to hold off being positive about the results because we're afraid of a bad run. If the wheels fall off again, go nuclear because any loss should piss fans off...but a win is a win and that's the flip side. They should be enjoyed and we should be able to talk about what we're doing well without always having to highlight what our opponents didn't do.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:No complaints from me at the moment about Arteta, 5 wins out of 5, surely nobody has a problem with that stat !

TBH if we continue on anything like this form, Arteta is just about to deliver the biggest mic drop on his detractors in football management history.

We’ve played pubbers to date. Let’s see how he does against city, Liverpool and even spurs.

That's the thing. If we consistently beat the 'pubbers' that should be enough for a Top 4 finish. If we're able to beat the likes of Liverpool and City as well, that's title contender stuff. I don't think anyone has said they expect a title run this season. It would be nice but something we'd all expect this season considering last season.

The way we've been playing when the 1st team was in tact, I don't fear any team, not even Liverpool, our only issue is keeping that first choice team in tact as right now its coming apart as we speak, hence the need for some additions today otherwise its like a repeat of January, not getting reinforcements that will dent our long term goal.

City unfortunately are a different animal, I think getting Haaland has put them over the top even for Liverpool, having a precision passing squad of their quality now feeding possibly the best CF in the world with his level of talent and physical attributes is a bridge too far.

They may have just become the best team in the world and its going to show come end of season, unless their apple cart is tipped or Haaland gets injured they may win the PL and the CL.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:21 pm

Currently 2 points ahead of where I thought we'd be.

Thought we'd draw v palace and win the rest. We won them all

Can't complain. Don't care about the we've only played this team and that team talk. We don't choose the teams we play.

Have to make this start count though and get top 4. Like last season anything less is failure
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:25 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:No complaints from me at the moment about Arteta, 5 wins out of 5, surely nobody has a problem with that stat !

TBH if we continue on anything like this form, Arteta is just about to deliver the biggest mic drop on his detractors in football management history.

We’ve played pubbers to date. Let’s see how he does against city, Liverpool and even spurs.

That's the thing. If we consistently beat the 'pubbers' that should be enough for a Top 4 finish. If we're able to beat the likes of Liverpool and City as well, that's title contender stuff. I don't think anyone has said they expect a title run this season. It would be nice but something we'd all expect this season considering last season.

The way we've been playing when the 1st team was in tact, I don't fear any team, not even Liverpool, our only issue is keeping that first choice team in tact as right now its coming apart as we speak, hence the need for some additions today otherwise its like a repeat of January, not getting reinforcements that will dent our long term goal.

City unfortunately are a different animal, I think getting Haaland has put them over the top even for Liverpool, having a precision passing squad of their quality now feeding possibly the best CF in the world with his level of talent and physical attributes is a bridge too far.

They may have just become the best team in the world and its going to show come end of season, unless their apple cart is tipped or Haaland gets injured they may win the PL and the CL.

Agree about the way we were playing with the first team in tact. It's the best I've seen us play for a run of games in ages. The attack looks so much more fluid, in control and able to create chances. That was missing from previous Arteta teams.

The injuries are a concern for me as well. I do wonder how Arteta will adapt without losing too much of what made that work. Last couple of games, we've lost a bit of the edge but not too much. So that's a positive. But I did get a sense that he allowed some players to revert back to what they were comfortable with in the second half, which was a negative. Hopefully, we learn quickly to adapt to the situation. It's taken ages to finally crack our attacking style. We just need to figure out how to manage the squad players who will eventually need to fill the gaps.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:41 pm

I fear Liverpool more than City. City we actually took the game to last time and should've won already.

Liverpool we're not even close, they won't have the current injuries by the time we meet. We have a monkey on our back when facing them as well so it's an added pressure.

Everyone else we can beat with our fit first XI.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:42 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You mean winning the league/being there or thereabouts or finishing top 4 ?

If its the latter we marginally missed out on it last season, achieving it this season won't be something miraculous. Having a shot at winning the title .. yes that absolutely would be miraculous. No sane Arsenal fan expects that though and if someone says they are - based on us beating 5 teams we should be beating - 2 of which are recently promoted - they ought to take a good look at themselves.

I am expecting us to have a shot at the title
Not because we have won 5 games
But
Because that’s what the Arsenal should always be doing
Had a look
Still looking older and greyer
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:51 pm

Man City drew at bottom half Newcastle
Liverpool drew at home to Crystal Palace and lost at bottom half Man Utd
Spurs drew at bottom half West Ham
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:20 pm

Man City drew to Villa. Look at that.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:41 pm

The ‘it’s only [insert any team not in the big 6] ‘ narrative to belittle our wins is and always has been stupidity. Every team will drop points to teams outside the top 6 this year.
It’s actually an insult to The Invincibles too because it suggests the task of going a season unbeaten is simply to draw 10 matches and the rest is easy.

We’ve had one of the best starts to a season in our history , all under the leadership of a guy who apparently doesn’t know anything about football. Go figure .
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:45 pm

We have had a nice run tbf, tomorrow will be interesting to see how we fare
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby starmandb » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 pm

jayramfootball wrote:The ‘it’s only [insert any team not in the big 6] ‘ narrative to belittle our wins is and always has been stupidity. Every team will drop points to teams outside the top 6 this year.
It’s actually an insult to The Invincibles too because it suggests the task of going a season unbeaten is simply to draw 10 matches and the rest is easy.

We’ve had one of the best starts to a season in our history , all under the leadership of a guy who apparently doesn’t know anything about football. Go figure .

How long before the”it’s a weak league this season ‘ narrative starts getting trotted out
Would be very odd after people saying because of Liverpool and city in the last few years it’s been the strongest
Don’t mind them c**** out there saying what they like but when it comes from gunners it drives me mad
starmandb

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:04 am

Marsbar100 wrote:We have had a nice run tbf, tomorrow will be interesting to see how we fare

Yellow cards all over, probably a red before the end and a dodgy penalty for united. If we can overcome that and their persistent fouling then we may have a chance ;)
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk