Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm

This won't happen.

Some Arteta agent or something probably leaked it to make us appreciate him or something.

How can Barcelona be looking at us in 10th spot and thinking "We'll have some of that".

No, smells like bollocks to me.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:53 pm

Arteta will be here for the foreseeable future. Until at least part way through next season.

Some people better get used to it or it'll make them even more depressed than they already are.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby ag6789 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Especially if he keeps beating teams like Olympiacos, Spuds', Pool and ManU.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:08 pm

ag6789 wrote:Especially if he keeps beating teams like Olympiacos, Spuds', Pool and ManU.

Not sure if serious
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:30 am

theHotHead wrote:Mate you have to add Arteta to that list, as a DM he was as bad as Xhaka but slightly better on the ball. To this day I don't understand the logic of taking a cultured ball-playing CM with little to no defensive capability and turn him into a DM :dontknow:

Arteta as a player was far more intelligent than Xhaka. Arteta as a lone DM would be a disaster but with Cazorla in a double pivot was quite effective. We are missing that ability if starting attacks from the deep.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 am

theHotHead wrote:Mate you have to add Arteta to that list, as a DM he was as bad as Xhaka but slightly better on the ball. To this day I don't understand the logic of taking a cultured ball-playing CM with little to no defensive capability and turn him into a DM :dontknow:
^ 100% my view too
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 am

DiamondGooner wrote:This won't happen.

Some Arteta agent or something probably leaked it to make us appreciate him or something.

How can Barcelona be looking at us in 10th spot and thinking "We'll have some of that".

Not saying it’s true but when you think back to when pep was made manager of Barcelona in 2008 with only 1 year experience of a managing previously with Barcelona B, Zidane with 2 years experience of managing the Real Madrid kids, Pirlo with only a few days experience of managing the Juventus kids before taking the big job. It would be no different than us putting Bould in charge immediately after Wenger left.

Stranger things have happened, Arteta is technically more qualified than all of them when they took the big jobs, only difference is even though he did play for Barcelona he’s not a legend for the club like those other 3.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Rockape » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:11 am

Power n Glory wrote:I'd take Song over the majority of our CM options available today. He could pass forward, provide assists, play on the half turn and defend. Way more of rounded player for that position.

Song was a great player for us....there were times when no one got past him, he was unreal. Quite how anyone considers him to have been a bad player for us is totally beyond me! :doh:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:13 am

DiamondGooner wrote:This won't happen.

It made me laugh anyway! :biggrin:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:55 am

Rockape wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I'd take Song over the majority of our CM options available today. He could pass forward, provide assists, play on the half turn and defend. Way more of rounded player for that position.

Song was a great player for us....there were times when no one got past him, he was unreal. Quite how anyone considers him to have been a bad player for us is totally beyond me! :doh:

In light of what we see today where players can't run, defend, pass it forward....I'd say he's been underrated. We now need to combine two players just to get all of what we used to get from one. Partey is the one that fits the criteria but he's been out injured for ages.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:59 am

Yeah liked Song. Walks in to this team easily as our best cm
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm

Rockape wrote:

Huh??? Was a GREAT player for us ??? The guy was slow and clumsy, You could go to Hackney Marshes on any given Sunday and find 10 "Songs" in my opinion. When I see a pro I want to see a player that can do shit I can't do. Song was an African, shorter version of Carlton Palmer - with less pace. If he was great do you think Arteta was great too ? In 205 Arsenal appearances Song scored 10 and assisted 23. In 150 Arsenal appearances Arteta scored 16 and assisted 11. Arteta's goal contribution per game was better than Song's. Just trying to understand why you think he was great.

What makes my comdemnation of Song all the more personal is because I was a CM, there is not a single skill or attribute Song had that I wished I had. Although I agree that he plays in this team in front of Elneny and Xhaka that just tells you how bad our options are right now. In fact, of the 3 players the only attribute I wish I had from any of them is Xhaka's dead ball and shooting ability, but I can guarantee my shooting and passing with my weaker foot is miles better than Xhaka's !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Ach wrote:Yeah liked Song. Walks in to this team easily as our best cm

You’d take Song over Partey?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Partey has barely played and not done anything when he has. He'll probably be better than Song over time but right now? He's not
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:32 pm

Ach wrote:Partey has barely played and not done anything when he has. He'll probably be better than Song over time but right now? He's not

Fair enough
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk