Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:19 pm

swipe right wrote:I find it sad that this is what you’re holding on to. 15 minutes from finishing sixth.


'Holding onto it', :)

Bottom line - we were close to finishing 6th last year and there is simply no reason to suggest - as you have - that we can not get anywhere near top 6 in the coming season.
jayramfootball
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 12078
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Ach » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Dear God
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 23158
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:17 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:We finished second in 2016. That’s two years before he was fired. How that makes it ten years in decline I don’t know. You’d be doing cartwheels if we finish second any time in the next decade.

Because we finished second in a 2 horse race. He is not getting props for finishing second when we should've won the league that season, we won't get a better chance than 2016 and Wenger f***ked it up!

No. We finished second in a 20 horse race. And for what it’s worth every fan thinks we should have won every season. But it’s going to be a looooooong fcking wait before the next Arsenal manager gets us to finish second.

Mate, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Man U were going through a major transition, they were all poor, it was down to Arsenal and Tottenham to duke it out for the league title, we were on top at Christmas I believe, we got overtaken by Leicester and lost the title. We won't be in a situation where 4 of the biggest teams are going through a major transition again at the same time.


Honestly how the f**k is this even a conversation that has been driven from a simple point that it will be good to get top 6 this year and we might even get top 4 with some luck???????
Does anyone actually think otherwise?

I don't agree it would be good, I think it should be the bottom line. Good would be a top 4 finish.
User avatar
theHotHead
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 11680
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:We finished second in 2016. That’s two years before he was fired. How that makes it ten years in decline I don’t know. You’d be doing cartwheels if we finish second any time in the next decade.

Because we finished second in a 2 horse race. He is not getting props for finishing second when we should've won the league that season, we won't get a better chance than 2016 and Wenger f***ked it up!

No. We finished second in a 20 horse race. And for what it’s worth every fan thinks we should have won every season. But it’s going to be a looooooong fcking wait before the next Arsenal manager gets us to finish second.

Mate, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Man U were going through a major transition, they were all poor, it was down to Arsenal and Tottenham to duke it out for the league title, we were on top at Christmas I believe, we got overtaken by Leicester and lost the title. We won't be in a situation where 4 of the biggest teams are going through a major transition again at the same time.


Honestly how the f**k is this even a conversation that has been driven from a simple point that it will be good to get top 6 this year and we might even get top 4 with some luck???????
Does anyone actually think otherwise?

I don't agree it would be good, I think it should be the bottom line. Good would be a top 4 finish.


Top 4 would be an exceptional achievement.
To turn this club around and get us back into the CL in less than 3 years would elevate Arteta massively.
jayramfootball
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 12078
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:38 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Laughable discussion. We have brought in 3 nobodies and people think that's Top 6 worthy?


Don't be silly.
We were a fraction from top 6 last year and we have young players with an extra year of experience, like ESR and Saka.
We already showed we had improved from the mess of the end of 2020 calendar year.
Add the right players - no need for them to be stars - and we have a very realistic shot at top 6.


You better hope your boy Arteta delivers, because your setting yourself up for a whole can of whoop ass if he fails again.

I don't want to see a repeat of your "Villarreal are a pub team, of course we're in the final" that aged like 2 month old milk left out in the sun ......... it wasn't pretty.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 25971
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Well, I for one do like that he is making a clear effort to change the demographic of the team in his revamp by significantly reducing its average age.

Not only does this promise to refresh the attitude, approach and mental outlook of the squad by injecting a greater emphasis on the exuberance and dangerous courage of youthfulness, it dispels and moves us further away from the stifling negativity and morose self pitying born of failure and marinated in the stench of self doubt and under-achievement that has seemingly and subconsciously soaked into the very bones of most of our more senior players.

For too long now we have been undergoing a transitional period during which time we haven't in reality transitioned one iota - until now. Only when we get to view the style, approach and nature of the football we end up playing will we know whether or not the fumigation (yes I know some will say that exorcism would be more appropriate but hopefully they'll be proven wrong) of the Emirates has been successfull or not.
thebigbangtheo
Ian Wright
Ian Wright
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:53 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:Well, I for one do like that he is making a clear effort to change the demographic of the team in his revamp by significantly reducing its average age.

Not only does this promise to refresh the attitude, approach and mental outlook of the squad by injecting a greater emphasis on the exuberance and dangerous courage of youthfulness, it dispels and moves us further away from the negativity and morose self pitying born of failure and marinated in the stench of self doubt and under-achievement that has seemingly and unconsciously soaked into the very bones of most of our more senior players.

For too long now we have been undergoing a transitional period during which time we haven't in reality transitioned one iota - until now.


I don't know. It looks like project youth 2.0. So far we've signed two 21 year olds and both Ben White and Aouar are 23 if those deals go through. Hard to expect a lot from new signings so young, which kind of puts us in another transitional period.

The demographic we have now with aging seniors was born out of the original project youth where we lacked experience. The original project youth was born out of replacing an aging Invincible side with youthfulness. It's a cycle. Hopefully, we get the balance right this time but I'm not expecting much this season.
User avatar
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5969
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:55 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Well, I for one do like that he is making a clear effort to change the demographic of the team in his revamp by significantly reducing its average age.

Not only does this promise to refresh the attitude, approach and mental outlook of the squad by injecting a greater emphasis on the exuberance and dangerous courage of youthfulness, it dispels and moves us further away from the negativity and morose self pitying born of failure and marinated in the stench of self doubt and under-achievement that has seemingly and unconsciously soaked into the very bones of most of our more senior players.

For too long now we have been undergoing a transitional period during which time we haven't in reality transitioned one iota - until now.


I don't know. It looks like project youth 2.0. So far we've signed two 21 year olds and both Ben White and Aouar are 23 if those deals go through. Hard to expect a lot from new signings so young, which kind of puts us in another transitional period.

The demographic we have now with aging seniors was born out of the original project youth where we lacked experience. The original project youth was born out of replacing an aging Invincible side with youthfulness. It's a cycle. Hopefully, we get the balance right this time but I'm not expecting much this season.


I do get the point you are making PnG, but equally I must call out the difference between the misguided, failed attempt by Wenger to ham fistedly address the need for an infusion of new ideas and approach to rebuilding a new team to challenge for the title by introducing new bodies as opposed to a transfusion of iron enriched blood.

In essence, the difference is that the efforts of our former and still illustrious manager were akin to trawler fishing which uses giant nets that gather up all and sundry, whereas this operation governed by Arteta and Edu bears more resemblance to deep sea fishing for tuna using fishing rods which is ultimately specific.
thebigbangtheo
Ian Wright
Ian Wright
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:26 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Laughable discussion. We have brought in 3 nobodies and people think that's Top 6 worthy?


Don't be silly.
We were a fraction from top 6 last year and we have young players with an extra year of experience, like ESR and Saka.
We already showed we had improved from the mess of the end of 2020 calendar year.
Add the right players - no need for them to be stars - and we have a very realistic shot at top 6.


You better hope your boy Arteta delivers, because your setting yourself up for a whole can of whoop ass if he fails again.

I don't want to see a repeat of your "Villarreal are a pub team, of course we're in the final" that aged like 2 month old milk left out in the sun ......... it wasn't pretty.


Lol.
'my boy'?
That's the thing with you end of the world types.
A simple positive outlook means it's all in for Arteta.

You doomsdayers are the ones that have totally backed yourselves into a corner.
You went way OTT.
Genuinely don't know how you can even enjoy the season coming even if we do well.
I have even seen some hoping we do badly!

Shocking.
jayramfootball
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 12078
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:43 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Laughable discussion. We have brought in 3 nobodies and people think that's Top 6 worthy?


Don't be silly.
We were a fraction from top 6 last year and we have young players with an extra year of experience, like ESR and Saka.
We already showed we had improved from the mess of the end of 2020 calendar year.
Add the right players - no need for them to be stars - and we have a very realistic shot at top 6.


You better hope your boy Arteta delivers, because your setting yourself up for a whole can of whoop ass if he fails again.

I don't want to see a repeat of your "Villarreal are a pub team, of course we're in the final" that aged like 2 month old milk left out in the sun ......... it wasn't pretty.


Lol.
'my boy'?
That's the thing with you end of the world types.
A simple positive outlook means it's all in for Arteta.

You doomsdayers are the ones that have totally backed yourselves into a corner.
You went way OTT.
Genuinely don't know how you can even enjoy the season coming even if we do well.
I have even seen some hoping we do badly!

Shocking.


Firstly, don't start panicking now, your bed is made, lie in it.

Secondly why is it "End of world" to say last season was utter crap?

Why do "I" have to have a positive outlook? if the team performs that's all the positivity we need, us being positive doesn't effect that outcome.

The amount of panic deflecting you just did is ridiculous ........... as I said, better hope your boy performs.

Me on the other hand, all we've asked for is that he does his job properly ......... I don't see how that's us "backing ourselves into a corner"? its a pretty standard request.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 25971
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:49 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Laughable discussion. We have brought in 3 nobodies and people think that's Top 6 worthy?


Don't be silly.
We were a fraction from top 6 last year and we have young players with an extra year of experience, like ESR and Saka.
We already showed we had improved from the mess of the end of 2020 calendar year.
Add the right players - no need for them to be stars - and we have a very realistic shot at top 6.


You better hope your boy Arteta delivers, because your setting yourself up for a whole can of whoop ass if he fails again.

I don't want to see a repeat of your "Villarreal are a pub team, of course we're in the final" that aged like 2 month old milk left out in the sun ......... it wasn't pretty.


Lol.
'my boy'?
That's the thing with you end of the world types.
A simple positive outlook means it's all in for Arteta.

You doomsdayers are the ones that have totally backed yourselves into a corner.
You went way OTT.
Genuinely don't know how you can even enjoy the season coming even if we do well.
I have even seen some hoping we do badly!

Shocking.


Firstly, don't start panicking now, your bed is made, lie in it.

Secondly why is it "End of world" to say last season was utter crap?

Why do "I" have to have a positive outlook? if the team performs that's all the positivity we need, us being positive doesn't effect that outcome.

The amount of panic deflecting you just did is ridiculous ........... as I said, better hope your boy performs.

Me on the other hand, all we've asked for is that he does his job properly ......... I don't see how that's us "backing ourselves into a corner"? its a pretty standard request.


What bed would that be?
I think you'll find I said I am positive because from Christmas we were the second-best team in the league, which is true and isn't going to change no matter what happens next season.
Other than that I just refuse to go along with the DoomersWorld you and others have tried to create.
I remain positive going into next season and that will not change unless I see something to change my mind - it won't be you or anyone else bleating on about how shit all our signings are or how we're doomed.

Ever since we got knocked out of the EL you and others have had a total meltdown.
I can see some signs of sense coming back (not from all) which is welcome, but like I said, hard to see how any of you can enjoy any success Arteta achieves with this club - ever.

Me? I can enjoy the season, hope for the best and see what happens.
Good effort on the reverse psychology, though. You must be nervous - or realising just how OTT it all was.
:arsenal3:
jayramfootball
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 12078
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 pm

If Arteta gets this team playing decent football ........... that is all we're asking for.

Again, pretty standard stuff.

Until he does that don't expect us to play cheer leader for a guy most of us, including me knew we should never of hired in the first place and yet I still gave him benefit of doubt.

What AFC fan in their right mind is going to be happy about us being 8th and out of Europe ....... not even above Spurs which you treasure so much, it was a complete abject faliure and we beat none of those pub teams you told us about either.

End of story, its not on us to prove anything, again, Arteta simply needs to do his job.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 25971
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Özim » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:11 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:We finished second in 2016. That’s two years before he was fired. How that makes it ten years in decline I don’t know. You’d be doing cartwheels if we finish second any time in the next decade.

Because we finished second in a 2 horse race. He is not getting props for finishing second when we should've won the league that season, we won't get a better chance than 2016 and Wenger f***ked it up!

No. We finished second in a 20 horse race. And for what it’s worth every fan thinks we should have won every season. But it’s going to be a looooooong fcking wait before the next Arsenal manager gets us to finish second.

Mate, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Man U were going through a major transition, they were all poor, it was down to Arsenal and Tottenham to duke it out for the league title, we were on top at Christmas I believe, we got overtaken by Leicester and lost the title. We won't be in a situation where 4 of the biggest teams are going through a major transition again at the same time.


Honestly how the f**k is this even a conversation that has been driven from a simple point that it will be good to get top 6 this year and we might even get top 4 with some luck???????
Does anyone actually think otherwise?

I don't agree it would be good, I think it should be the bottom line. Good would be a top 4 finish.


Top 4 would be an exceptional achievement.
To turn this club around and get us back into the CL in less than 3 years would elevate Arteta massively.


It would because he’s been so rubbish so far, two 8th places.

There’s zero chance of 4th place with Arteta, anyone who thinks there is needs to wake up IMO, the guy is a dreadful manager.

Next season will be a washout, if it’s possible to get it wrong Arteta will, let’s not kid ourselves anymore please, this guy was all hype.
Özim
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 3890
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:If Arteta gets this team playing decent football ........... that is all we're asking for.

Again, pretty standard stuff.

Until he does that don't expect us to play cheer leader for a guy most if us, including me knew we should never of hired in the first place and yet I still gave him benefit of doubt.

What AFC fan in their right mind is going to be happy about us being 8th and out of Europe ....... not even above Spurs which you treasure so much, it was a complete abject faliure and we beat none of those pub teams you told us about either.

End of story, its not on us to prove anything, again, Arteta simply needs to do his job.


I don't see anyone cheerleading for Arteta.
I see the opposite - and any deviation from the ultra negative is met with stupid crap.

Like I said, the fact is that we have improved since the day Arteta took over, not by much but by a little.
We were actually good in the second half of the season and that is why I am positive.
I like that we are not going after big name expensive stars, instead buying younger players with high potential that can moulded into a team. I have long thought that the difference between so called 'stars' and lesser known players who have the talent required is often just PR and not much else.
I am very excited at the prospect of some of our younger players developing further too. We have some incredible talent.

That's about my position and I simply don't know how that translates into Arteta being 'my boy'.
The several mistakes Arteta has made have been called out by me too - rookie mistakes. That doesn't mean I have to go along with the ridiculously negative picture being painted of him, the club and anyone we sign, might sign, are rumoured to sign, sold, might sell, loaned, whatever.

For some, everything Arsenal has turned into 'it's crap and it's Arteta's fault'.
I do get the emotion of it, but when I see people actually hoping we have a shit season and take huge financial hits as a club just so they can wallow in their own negativity, I just find that totally pathetic. I don't know how any fan can come back from those types of statements. To me, they are not Arsenal fans at all.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 12078
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:15 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:We finished second in 2016. That’s two years before he was fired. How that makes it ten years in decline I don’t know. You’d be doing cartwheels if we finish second any time in the next decade.

Because we finished second in a 2 horse race. He is not getting props for finishing second when we should've won the league that season, we won't get a better chance than 2016 and Wenger f***ked it up!

No. We finished second in a 20 horse race. And for what it’s worth every fan thinks we should have won every season. But it’s going to be a looooooong fcking wait before the next Arsenal manager gets us to finish second.

Mate, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Man U were going through a major transition, they were all poor, it was down to Arsenal and Tottenham to duke it out for the league title, we were on top at Christmas I believe, we got overtaken by Leicester and lost the title. We won't be in a situation where 4 of the biggest teams are going through a major transition again at the same time.


Honestly how the f**k is this even a conversation that has been driven from a simple point that it will be good to get top 6 this year and we might even get top 4 with some luck???????
Does anyone actually think otherwise?

I don't agree it would be good, I think it should be the bottom line. Good would be a top 4 finish.


Top 4 would be an exceptional achievement.
To turn this club around and get us back into the CL in less than 3 years would elevate Arteta massively.


It would because he’s been so rubbish so far, two 8th places.

There’s zero chance of 4th place with Arteta, anyone who thinks there is needs to wake up IMO, the guy is a dreadful manager.

Next season will be a washout, if it’s possible to get it wrong Arteta will, let’s not kid ourselves anymore please, this guy was all hype.


I can tell you right now the one thing that will make Arteta miss out on a top 4 finish and that is starting Auba as CF. Book this post.

By the time Arteta realizes his mistake we would have dropped too many points to make a comeback
Leno
(Runarsson/Okonkwo)
Bellerin White Gabriel Tierney
(Cedric/Niles) (Saliba/Dinos) (Holding/Mari) (Tavares/Kolasinac)
Partey —- Lokonga
(Xhaka/Chambers) --- (Elneny/Azeez)
Pepe ————— ESR ————— Saka
(Willian/Omari) ————— (Matteo/Willock) ————— (Martinelli/Nelson)
Auba(c)
(Lacazette/Balogun)


Last Updated: 7/30/21
User avatar
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18733
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: The Peach State

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Power n Glory, Özim and 3 guests