Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Paddy » Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Tottenham 'hold positive talks with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte' https://t.co/uSvGqfPsBb

another manager we'll let slip by...
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 06, 2021 2:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Things have changed so quickly. Our standards have dropped.

We were playing Chelsea in the Europa League final not so long ago and they're now in the Champs League final whilst we're midtable and looking at life without Europe if we don't win tonight.

Chelsea never stop moving.

Mourinho left them out of Europe, Conte takes them back with a title win

Conte falls out of Top 4, Sarri returns them to CL with a Europa win

Lampard struggles but still makes R16, Tuchel takes them to the final.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 pm

CaptGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:We have a bottom of the barrel manager. His experience has cost us and anyone with experience now looks decent. When Wenger stepped down, Tuchel, Sarri, Ancelotti, Rafa, Rodgers..they wouldn't have been my first choice options. I didn’t rate Rafa or Tuchel at all. Same goes for Eddie Howe. But today....desperate times.

Not sure why many never rated Tuchel. Always thought he would have been the best option for us.

For me he didn't do much at Dortmund, just piggy-backed off of what Klopp did. Didn't do anything special at PSG.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 06, 2021 2:52 pm

Paddy wrote:Tottenham 'hold positive talks with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte' https://t.co/uSvGqfPsBb

f***ing Kroenke needs a slap!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Paddy wrote:Tottenham 'hold positive talks with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte' https://t.co/uSvGqfPsBb

Trust the process.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Disaster for us if he goes there. Spurs may still make Top 4 as things stand.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:28 pm

theHotHead wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:We have a bottom of the barrel manager. His experience has cost us and anyone with experience now looks decent. When Wenger stepped down, Tuchel, Sarri, Ancelotti, Rafa, Rodgers..they wouldn't have been my first choice options. I didn’t rate Rafa or Tuchel at all. Same goes for Eddie Howe. But today....desperate times.

Not sure why many never rated Tuchel. Always thought he would have been the best option for us.

For me he didn't do much at Dortmund, just piggy-backed off of what Klopp did. Didn't do anything special at PSG.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Thu May 06, 2021 3:45 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

At the time he didn’t have as much experience compared to a few others. It was just the German Domestic Cup to his name and at the time we were looking for a Wenger replacement. I wanted someone with experience of winning league titles and cups. We went with Uani instead.

As said, today is a different story. If we're going to back a coach with funds, at least back someone credible. At the moment we're all hoping Arteta turns into a great coach when it may just be an excellent assistant coach somewhere else.

That's so true and why wouldn't we? Chelsea and United get rid of managaers to keep the in CL and challenging. Rodgers was floated at the time and I thought 'no' we need somebody better. LOL at me. We're are so far away from where we were, we look back and wonder. HIndsight is wonderful.

Things have changed so quickly. Our standards have dropped.

We were playing Chelsea in the Europa League final not so long ago and they're now in the Champs League final whilst we're midtable and looking at life without Europe if we don't win tonight.

Spurs were in a champions league final 2 seasons ago
2 years before that they had still won f**k all since
We have won 2 fa cups
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 06, 2021 3:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

He took over Dortmund when Klopp had them in 15th place, and got top performances out of Auba year in and year out.

Also developed Pulisic and Dembele, resulting in a €180m windfall for Dortmund.

Took PSG to the final for the first time. Also made Moise Kean look better than Icardi this season.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 3:49 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:

At the time he didn’t have as much experience compared to a few others. It was just the German Domestic Cup to his name and at the time we were looking for a Wenger replacement. I wanted someone with experience of winning league titles and cups. We went with Uani instead.

As said, today is a different story. If we're going to back a coach with funds, at least back someone credible. At the moment we're all hoping Arteta turns into a great coach when it may just be an excellent assistant coach somewhere else.

That's so true and why wouldn't we? Chelsea and United get rid of managaers to keep the in CL and challenging. Rodgers was floated at the time and I thought 'no' we need somebody better. LOL at me. We're are so far away from where we were, we look back and wonder. HIndsight is wonderful.

Things have changed so quickly. Our standards have dropped.

Spurs were in a champions league final 2 seasons ago
2 years before that they had still won f**k all since
We have won 2 fa cups

I'm talking about standards and you bring up Spurs! Lol. Not winning f**k all is their standard.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Thu May 06, 2021 3:55 pm

I’m talking about an appearance in the champions league being a panacea for progress
The fact that it’s Spurs is a coincidence
They are the most recent team to have been in the champions league final that have not caused there trophy polisher overtime
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Weren't Chelsea a point ahead of us when Lampard was sacked? They're now in the UCL final, in the FA Cup final, and are 4th in the league.

The issue with the Kroenkes is that they're almost afraid of hiring top quality managers. They don't want strong personalities. That's why they opted for yes-men over Conte, Tuchel, Allegri, or Pochettino. Even now, they're pumping PR-driven articles in favor of Arteta and the current status quo at Arsenal.

They were the engineers behind our downfall from UCL football because they decided to back Gazidis in his cold war with Wenger. They essentially sacrificed two of Wenger's final season just to kick him out of the club.

If they were as strategic and as ruthless, they'd have fired Wenger after 15/16 or wouldn't have offered Wenger that final contract at the end of 16/17.

You can't have it both ways. You can't expect devoted subservience from top professionals. You also can't expect to succeed by simply hiring mediocre yes-men.

The same set of fans that wanted Wenger out because top-4 was boring and unambitious, are now backing Arteta and defending Arsenal's mid-table glory.

Arsenal hierarchy is a master of manufacturing consent. Compare the media scrutiny when Wenger was around to what it is now. There's absolutely no pressure on Arteta to deliver. He's enjoying the most lucrative internship in the history of internships.

Gary Neville has started talking about Arsenal like we're Spurs. He'd never have dared when Wenger was around. Liverpool, ManU, and Arsenal are three stalwarts of the English game. Yet, the conversation has swiftly moved to Liverpool and ManU, like they're the Barca and Real.

Even amongst the fanbase, fans who question Arteta are labelled as "reactive, short-sighted," fans. How the Arsenal PR mechanism has managed to convince Arsenal fans that 10th isn't an utter disaster—should be included in the curriculum of public relations at colleges.

Masterful, I have to admit.

It's a shame that we've fallen so far. It's a bigger shame that Arsenal honchos are resorting to PR campaigns instead of actually doing anything about it.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 4:12 pm

starmandb wrote:I’m talking about an appearance in the champions league being a panacea for progress
They are the most recent team to have been in the champions league final that have not caused there trophy polisher overtime

Who said that? Strawman! I get the name now. Starman/Strawman. Funny.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm

Angelito wrote:Weren't Chelsea a point ahead of us when Lampard was sacked? They're now in the UCL final, in the FA Cup final, and are 4th in the league.

The issue with the Kroenkes is that they're almost afraid of hiring top quality managers. They don't want strong personalities. That's why they opted for yes-men over Conte, Tuchel, Allegri, or Pochettino. Even now, they're pumping PR-driven articles in favor of Arteta and the current status quo at Arsenal.

They were the engineers behind our downfall from UCL football because they decided to back Gazidis in his cold war with Wenger. They essentially sacrificed two of Wenger's final season just to kick him out of the club.

If they were as strategic and as ruthless, they'd have fired Wenger after 15/16 or wouldn't have offered Wenger that final contract at the end of 16/17.

You can't have it both ways. You can't expect devoted subservience from top professionals. You also can't expect to succeed by simply hiring mediocre yes-men.

The same set of fans that wanted Wenger out because top-4 was boring and unambitious, are now backing Arteta and defending Arsenal's mid-table glory.

Arsenal hierarchy is a master of manufacturing consent. Compare the media scrutiny when Wenger was around to what it is now. There's absolutely no pressure on Arteta to deliver. He's enjoying the most lucrative internship in the history of internships.

Gary Neville has started talking about Arsenal like we're Spurs. He'd never have dared when Wenger was around. Liverpool, ManU, and Arsenal are three stalwarts of the English game. Yet, the conversation has swiftly moved to Liverpool and ManU, like they're the Barca and Real.

Even amongst the fanbase, fans who question Arteta are labelled as "reactive, short-sighted," fans. How the Arsenal PR mechanism has managed to convince Arsenal fans that 10th isn't an utter disaster—should be included in the curriculum of public relations at colleges.

Masterful, I have to admit.

It's a shame that we've fallen so far. It's a bigger shame that Arsenal honchos are resorting to PR campaigns instead of actually doing anything about it.

Abramovich is brutal and wouldn't even spare Lampard. I thought Chelsea were going for a token appointment and Abramovich had plans of cutting back on spending with Lampard being the perfect candidate to keep the fans quiet. I was wrong.

I'm really hoping the Kroenke's are having a Goldilocks moment. A little too conservative and safe with the Emery appointment and now too much of a risk with Arteta. Hopefully they get it right with the next appointment. If it's another disastrous appointment we may find ourselves stuck as a midtable team for a few more years.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Thu May 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:I’m talking about an appearance in the champions league being a panacea for progress

Who said that? Strawman! I get the name now. Starman/Strawman. Funny.

Going far in the CL means little more than a team managing to win a couple of cup games. Forget the groups, win in the last 16 and the last 8, just two ties, and you're in the semi-final.
It doesn't mean you've progressed as a team.
The CL - or any cup - is not a good barometer of whether a team is getting better.

If we win the EL and get in the CL, does that mean we've progressed as a team? - probably not.

The true test of a team is the PL.
It's why I view all trophies outside of the PL as secondary, some more important than others, but THE prize is the Premier League title.

These owners that crave the CL above the PL have no clue about football.
It's why the likes of Abramovic keep sacking good managers.
If there is one club that I would HATE to be like, it's Chelsea. It's sickening to see Arsenal fans pining to be like the Chavs.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu May 06, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk