Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:29 am

PairyGrows wrote:Arteta is supposedly the understudy of a manager who is quite possibly the best organiser of possession-based football of all time, and yet we are utterly terrible on the ball. I'm not expecting us to play intricate football like Manchester City, but even the basics are wrong: our idea of build up is one player on the ball while six or seven players stand and wait.

To be fair, this problem dates all the way back to Wenger. But the fact that Arteta hasn't been able to do anything to rectify this even a little bit tells you everything you need to know. Sitting back and waiting for a counterattack may be good enough if you're a mid-table side, but it won't do if you want to finish in the top four, let alone win the league.

It's abundantly clear that Arteta's tactical understanding of the game is lacking. I see no signs of that changing. We need better from our manager.

I fear we're trying to replicate some of Pep's philosophy and players sticking to their zones on the pitch. That's why it looks so static and the distances between the players so wide.

We had a similar issue of keeping possession late on in Wenger's career but it was never this bad and not against every opponent. I would put some of those poor games down to the wrong team balance under Wenger. Games where we had Flamini and Ramsey in the double pivot or Coquelin and Flamini, Xhaka and Elneny....low level technical midfielders. It was often corrected once we had Cazorla pulling the string from deep. Wenger always had the players running mini 5 aside games I training, playing in tight spaces, one twos and one touch passes. It's like the opposite under Arteta. It's not just a problem with the players, it seems like a system problem. That zonal space playing style puts the shackles on our players and it's ugly to watch.

Under Wenger, if we had too many technical lightweight, players on, maybe we'd get roughed up a bit, lose those 50/50 challenges and look weak for set pieces and aerial duels. But we would at least be able to pass the ball better and dominate possession for most games even if it's just sterile possession and tippy tappy football. It worrys me that we couldn't even manage that when we had most of our technical players on the pitch vs Brighton and now Palace.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:45 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Jay scraping points and playing shit is NOT SUSTAINABLE ! So if you are happy with playing shit and scraping points, thats up to you, I am not willing to accept that because it can quickly lead to freefall - just like it did last season !! And even at our best in terms of recovery (using your 4th best in the league form for 5 months claim) the best we managed to salvage was 8th - NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

Yet Paddy Vieira has Crystal Palace looking like a decent team in the same 8 game period that we have looked shite - and he didn't have the majority of the squad for the previous 18 months - like Arteta has had !

That decent team Paddy is managing is below us.

We're building a new squad - we had 5 new first teamers this year in the team yesterday,
Things will take time to gel and if we are picking up points whilst that is happening that is a bloody good thing.
Points HH, for now I couldn't give a shit whether we look like Barcelona in their prime.

My barometer remains that same - touching distance of top 4 at Christmas.
Having game by game meltdowns because we don't win 4-0 every week is a nonsense.

Are you really bigging up the fact we are above Crystal Palace Jay ? They have scored more goals than us and conceded 1 goal more than us. They have a new manager and far far less resources than us. 1 point for us is like 1.5 points for them.

Crystal Palace, a club whose last 10 Premier League campaigns were 14th, 14th, 12th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 10th, 11th, 18th and 20th !!!

Dude you were bigging up a team - and their manager - below us in the league.

Because he's measuring Crystal Palace by their appropriate standards, not the standards expected of a City or Liverpool .......... or Arsenal.

I've said this already, JayRam is slumming our standards just so his excuses seem more valid and it doesn't work.

The sht you've been spewing since yesterday is fkin embarrassing for you "We're 4pts off 4th" blah blah do you think everyone is stupid? there are 7 teams between us and 4th place all ahead of us or have actually more points than us.

West Ham, Utd and Everton are 1 pt off 4th!! ............ now what?

You are fkin ridiculous and if we finish any worse than 6th this season I'm going to fkin have you, worse than what you got for Villarreal, believe it.

6th would be good this year.
Have at it.
;)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:37 am

Power n Glory wrote:I fear we're trying to replicate some of Pep's philosophy and players sticking to their zones on the pitch. That's why it looks so static and the distances between the players so wide.

It seems we've copied City's style superficially without understanding it properly. Watching City, you'll notice how much the players work off the ball to carve out spaces for themselves and their teammates. Even though every player has his own zone, City aren't static because of the work they do off the ball.

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me because Arteta isn't a very good at tactical management.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:51 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Jay scraping points and playing shit is NOT SUSTAINABLE ! So if you are happy with playing shit and scraping points, thats up to you, I am not willing to accept that because it can quickly lead to freefall - just like it did last season !! And even at our best in terms of recovery (using your 4th best in the league form for 5 months claim) the best we managed to salvage was 8th - NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

Yet Paddy Vieira has Crystal Palace looking like a decent team in the same 8 game period that we have looked shite - and he didn't have the majority of the squad for the previous 18 months - like Arteta has had !

We're building a new squad - we had 5 new first teamers this year in the team yesterday,
Things will take time to gel and if we are picking up points whilst that is happening that is a bloody good thing.
Points HH, for now I couldn't give a shit whether we look like Barcelona in their prime.

Having game by game meltdowns because we don't win 4-0 every week is a nonsense.

Are you really bigging up the fact we are above Crystal Palace Jay ? They have scored more goals than us and conceded 1 goal more than us. They have a new manager and far far less resources than us. 1 point for us is like 1.5 points for them.

Crystal Palace, a club whose last 10 Premier League campaigns were 14th, 14th, 12th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 10th, 11th, 18th and 20th !!!

We'll see where we finish this year, but until Christmas I am not at all interested in entertaining the BS after every game we don't win AND look like Barca in their prime. I see it for the agenda-driven trolling that it is.

Right now its points that matter - after a bad start (for a number of reasons) - we are on a good run and if that run continues and we are close to top 4 at Christmas then Arteta will continue getting my support into the second half of the year.
It's that simple - not interested in the stupidity of attacking everything about the club and all our young players. Even less interested than when Spud fans try to troll us.

In 8 games we have seen more progression from Crystal Palace with Vieira than we have at Arsenal in 2 years with Arteta Jay !! Nobody is attacking everything about the club, we are saying Arteta is shit/woefully underperforming. The angst is not with the club, its with Arteta !! How is Vieira doing more with less ?!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 am

PairyGrows wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I fear we're trying to replicate some of Pep's philosophy and players sticking to their zones on the pitch. That's why it looks so static and the distances between the players so wide.

It seems we've copied City's style superficially without understanding it properly. Watching City, you'll notice how much the players work off the ball to carve out spaces for themselves and their teammates. Even though every player has his own zone, City aren't static because of the work they do off the ball.

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me because Arteta isn't a very good at tactical management.

We're definitely not doing it well. It's all gone downhill since he's tried to make us unto a possession based team.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:34 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

We'll see where we finish this year, but until Christmas I am not at all interested in entertaining the BS after every game we don't win AND look like Barca in their prime. I see it for the agenda-driven trolling that it is.

Right now its points that matter - after a bad start (for a number of reasons) - we are on a good run and if that run continues and we are close to top 4 at Christmas then Arteta will continue getting my support into the second half of the year.
It's that simple - not interested in the stupidity of attacking everything about the club and all our young players. Even less interested than when Spud fans try to troll us.

In 8 games we have seen more progression from Crystal Palace with Vieira than we have at Arsenal in 2 years with Arteta Jay !! Nobody is attacking everything about the club, we are saying Arteta is shit/woefully underperforming. The angst is not with the club, its with Arteta !! How is Vieira doing more with less ?!!!

Vieira is not doing more with less.
He's doing less with less.

Right now all is fine.
We're a young team getting better and we're in touching distance of top 4.
Like I said, meltdowns every time we don't win seems silly.
More interested in where we are at Christmas.
We seem to have some fans hyperventilating from game to game.

No discussion on the positives of the new back 5. No discussion on recovering from the Covid/injury hit start. No discussions on anything positive really. Just constant whining.

Read the match thread.
Winning, we're shit because we should be winning by more
Drawing we're shit because we should be winning all the time.
Losing we're shit and the sky is falling
Equalising we're shit..
Yada yada yada.

So don't tell me it's not all negative from you lot. It is. And it descends into the ludicrous like a 10 page discussion on a player watching TV or not and how if he did he might have not made a mistake against Edouard :dizzy:

Go ahead with your nonsense. It's a forum. Your choice. But you are not getting me to join in and if my positivity n about where we're going as a club or what I consider success this season is upsetting or annoying, well that's just tough.

I am entitled to my view, including that I think the OTT negativity is a farce.

Right now we're on a good 5 game run after a poor start, but very early days in the PL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Hypergooner » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:06 pm

@Jayramfootball I get what you're saying about looking for negatives as we are in fact picking up points in each game after our terrible start. You can’t deny that we should be looking more polished and convincing after the time and Money Arteta has had at this club though. Do you honestly see us getting top 5 this season as it stands?
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:23 pm

Hypergooner wrote:@Jayramfootball I get what you're saying about looking for negatives as we are in fact picking up points in each game after our terrible start. You can’t deny that we should be looking more polished and convincing after the time and Money Arteta has had at this club though. Do you honestly see us getting top 5 this season as it stands?

I see us having a chance of 6th, probably missing out on top 5.

I have commented before on the mistakes when Arteta started. He waited too long to go big with the changes needed. His and the club's fault. I slated him for it in fact. Interestingly I also got slated here for saying we needed a complete rebuild, lol.

As far as I am concerned we've only just started doing what we needed to do. This summer.
We have had some encouragement with a long run of games picking up points and it's given me some hope that we can push up the league this year.
But to me the rebuild is not going to bring instant reward.

Very young squad now that IMO it's looking like a squad of players who have the right character to succeed.
More changes needed, they will happen over the next couple of windows.

I am not particularly interested in whining about the mistakes of both Emery and Arteta when he started. It isn't going to change anything.
The club have gone young and decided to build. All that is left to see if that works going forward.

1st checkpoint for me: where we are and how far away from top 4 at Christmas.

The only thing that will change that checkpoint is if we do something terrible, like pick up 2 points from 7 games like we did last year leading into Christmas.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Hypergooner wrote:@Jayramfootball I get what you're saying about looking for negatives as we are in fact picking up points in each game after our terrible start. You can’t deny that we should be looking more polished and convincing after the time and Money Arteta has had at this club though. Do you honestly see us getting top 5 this season as it stands?

Emery got the same on that 20 something game unbeaten run. The football was dire, we knew it was a matter of time before it came to an end and then we were left with awful football AND shit results. The same thing will happen now, its not if, its when !

So we can sit here and pat each other on the back for scraping points playing badly, or we can highlight the issues and hope they get addressed because, if they don't, we will plummet down the league just like last season, and last season all we could manage by way of recovery was 8th freekin place and no Europe. If people are willing to accept the latter, carry on as you are congratulating each other.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:55 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Emery got the same on that 20 something game unbeaten run. The football was dire, we knew it was a matter of time before it came to an end and then we were left with awful football AND shit results. The same thing will happen now, its not if, its when !

So we can sit here and pat each other on the back for scraping points playing badly, or we can highlight the issues and hope they get addressed because, if they don't, we will plummet down the league just like last season, and last season all we could manage by way of recovery was 8th freekin place and no Europe. If people are willing to accept the latter, carry on as you are congratulating each other.

The 22-game unbeaten run in 2018/19 included 10 PL wins (plus wins in EFL and EL).

Arteta's current unbeaten run in the PL has a 50% win rate (3W, 3D). If he gets it up to 10 PL wins total by the time the run ends, we'd all be calling him world class.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:04 pm

Hypergooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Because he's measuring Crystal Palace by their appropriate standards, not the standards expected of a City or Liverpool .......... or Arsenal.

I've said this already, JayRam is slumming our standards just so his excuses seem more valid and it doesn't work.

The sht you've been spewing since yesterday is fkin embarrassing for you "We're 4pts off 4th" blah blah do you think everyone is stupid? there are 7 teams between us and 4th place all ahead of us or have actually more points than us.

You are fkin ridiculous and if we finish any worse than 6th this season I'm going to fkin have you, worse than what you got for Villarreal, believe it.

You all need to ask yourself, would Wenger have beaten Brentford, Brighton and Palace with the squad we have?

Wenger had 3 home draws with Crystal Palace and a defeat at Brighton
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby tufnelltoughie » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:12 pm

starmandb wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You all need to ask yourself, would Wenger have beaten Brentford, Brighton and Palace with the squad we have?

Neither of those set of results is acceptable, Arteta is not getting the best from the squad any more than Wenger was and his signings have been awful. (e.g £72M for Pepe, £50M for White)
tufnelltoughie
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Hypergooner » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 pm

tufnelltoughie wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Neither of those set of results is acceptable, Arteta is not getting the best from the squad any more than Wenger was and his signings have been awful. (e.g £72M for Pepe, £50M for White)

A lot of the issue is that with Wenger (say what you want about his last few years) we all knew he would turn a few losses around and we would finish there or there abouts come the end of the season. The players knew this as well so could stay calm and not feel the pressure as much.

With Arteta, we have no confidence we can really turn it around come season end. The like of Auba, Laca, Xhaka, Partey must have some doubts also.
Add the fact we don't have European football and the owners should be writing a manager wish list by now just in case
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LMAO » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 am

tufnelltoughie wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Pepe wasn't an Arteta signing.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:48 am

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk