Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:58 am

Might be semantics, but didn't George Graham win more trophies than Mee??

2x League titles
1x FA Cup
2x League Cup
1x European Cup Winners Cup.

Title of "most successful" excluding Wenger must surely go to George Graham.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:36 am

Phil71 wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:As Wenger said, Arteta is lucky to have this job because you normally need ten years of experience to manage a club like Arsenal.

George graham had 4
Bertie mee had 0

Bertie Mee with his one first division trophy and one FA cup didn’t do it for me. Arteta already had the one Fa cup. You need to pick more successful people to emulate.

When Mee arrived we had not won a trophy for 13 years.

His record.

League Cup runners up 1967 & 68
European Fairs (UEFA) Cup winners 1969
League Champions 1971
FA Cup winners 1971
League runners up 1973

With 241 wins he was the most successful manager in Arsenal history - only surpassed by Wenger.

And you don't rate that?

Only one league win. Should call him Bertie Mee-no-so-good-manager
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 am

theHotHead wrote:Might be semantics, but didn't George Graham win more trophies than Mee??

2x League titles
1x FA Cup
2x League Cup
1x European Cup Winners Cup.

Title of "most successful" excluding Wenger must surely go to George Graham.

Mee had more match wins than Graham.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:59 am

Tony Adams wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Come on, it's a joke that he got the job in the first place, FFS no managerial experience, man-management skills of an armadillo he must be giving someone on the board one that's all I can say.
It is, but I'm not sure what happened with Ozil wasn't exactly what was needed to give everyone a kick up the arse.

What kick?

It's all fine and dandy if we become a UCL side again. But we're back to square one. We are looking to buy a back-up GK again. We will go for a CB in the summer.

What we've needed since Cazorla (and now Ozil) is a CM and a CAM. Yet, since Emery's time here, all we have done is buy one defender after the other: Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Luiz, Saliba, Gabriel, Mari, Soares, and Tierney. We already have Mustafi and Chambers apart from Holding, who's become more of a regular this season.

I don't see Arteta and Edu addressing our core needs. Arteta hasn't achieved anything significant here. We're 11th in one of the most inconsistent seasons by top teams. You have ManU at the top of the table in what looks like a season where City will win it by default.

Ozil left because he wanted to play. We will still pay a portion of his paycheck to mutually end his contract. All Arteta did was pay him for laying low for 8 months. That's some hard-man shit.

What people fail to understand is that we aren't doing any better without Ozil. This has been our worst season of the Prem era since 94/95 and it hasn't finished yet.

What progress are you seeing? We don't play good football. We definitely aren't challenging for the UCL or even the EL. We suffered an embarrassing string of results in November and December.

Every summer, since Emery, you hear about Arsenal not having any money when during the earlier part of this decade, we always read about some mythical warchest at Wenger's disposal. We continue to waste money on stupid signings.

Granit fkin Xhaka is the first name on the team-sheet. I can't believe it's been nearly 5 years since he's joined and in that period, we haven't finished in UCL positions.

Our leading goal-scorer in the League is Laca with 7 goals. It's January! Auba has scored a meagre 3 goals. When was the last time our leading forward had 3 (or 7) goals mid-way through the season? Starman might know.

There are bigger issues at Arsenal. Ozil is Arsenal's past. Arteta is Arsenal's future.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:10 am

swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:As Wenger said, Arteta is lucky to have this job because you normally need ten years of experience to manage a club like Arsenal.

George graham had 4
Bertie mee had 0

Bertie Mee with his one first division trophy and one FA cup didn’t do it for me. Arteta already had the one Fa cup. You need to pick more successful people to emulate.

Do I really
Arsenal managers that won the league in my time of going are my point of reference for arsenal managers
Bertie mee won an intercity fairs cup as well
That was a year before I started going ended a 17 year trophy drought
Shame it don’t do it for you because it glows highly in the memory of older members of my family who were there
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:59 am

Angelito wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Come on, it's a joke that he got the job in the first place, FFS no managerial experience, man-management skills of an armadillo he must be giving someone on the board one that's all I can say.
It is, but I'm not sure what happened with Ozil wasn't exactly what was needed to give everyone a kick up the arse.

What kick?

It's all fine and dandy if we become a UCL side again. But we're back to square one. We are looking to buy a back-up GK again. We will go for a CB in the summer.

What we've needed since Cazorla (and now Ozil) is a CM and a CAM. Yet, since Emery's time here, all we have done is buy one defender after the other: Sokratis, Lichtsteiner, Luiz, Saliba, Gabriel, Mari, Soares, and Tierney. We already have Mustafi and Chambers apart from Holding, who's become more of a regular this season.

I don't see Arteta and Edu addressing our core needs. Arteta hasn't achieved anything significant here. We're 11th in one of the most inconsistent seasons by top teams. You have ManU at the top of the table in what looks like a season where City will win it by default.

Ozil left because he wanted to play. We will still pay a portion of his paycheck to mutually end his contract. All Arteta did was pay him for laying low for 8 months. That's some hard-man shit.

What people fail to understand is that we aren't doing any better without Ozil. This has been our worst season of the Prem era since 94/95 and it hasn't finished yet.

What progress are you seeing? We don't play good football. We definitely aren't challenging for the UCL or even the EL. We suffered an embarrassing string of results in November and December.

Every summer, since Emery, you hear about Arsenal not having any money when during the earlier part of this decade, we always read about some mythical warchest at Wenger's disposal. We continue to waste money on stupid signings.

Granit fkin Xhaka is the first name on the team-sheet. I can't believe it's been nearly 5 years since he's joined and in that period, we haven't finished in UCL positions.

Our leading goal-scorer in the League is Laca with 7 goals. It's January! Auba has scored a meagre 3 goals. When was the last time our leading forward had 3 (or 7) goals mid-way through the season? Starman might know.

There are bigger issues at Arsenal. Ozil is Arsenal's past. Arteta is Arsenal's future.

73/74
John Radford had 3 league goals after playing 16 league games
starmandb

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:16 pm

Why he took off Auba, f**k knows but another case of bad management.

Thankfully the Captain saves us beforehand.

Got Southampton away twice now. Won't be easy
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:21 pm

Tbh I'm happy he's steadied the ship but I'm a little underwhelmed, that for 3 years now ......... its taken us this long just to go round the houses back to Wenger ball.

I suppose the only good thing having these new managers is that hopefully they clear out the deadwood Wenger left us.

But as for style of play, we could of not changed anything since Wenger and be right where we are now in terms of style of play.

The players have responded as well, they seem to enjoy it, I guess that's who we are now.

A Wengerball team.

Time to go buy some CAM's and just get on with it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Ach wrote:Why he took off Auba, f**k knows but another case of bad management.

Thankfully the Captain saves us beforehand.

Got Southampton away twice now. Won't be easy

Said he was unwell
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:39 pm

Don Mikel with 5 clean sheets in a row and 5 wins in 6.

We’re on our wayyyyy
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:03 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Tbh I'm happy he's steadied the ship but I'm a little underwhelmed, that for 3 years now ......... its taken us this long just to go round the houses back to Wenger ball.

I suppose the only good thing having these new managers is that hopefully they clear out the deadwood Wenger left us.

But as for style of play, we could of not changed anything since Wenger and be right where we are now in terms of style of play.

The players have responded as well, they seem to enjoy it, I guess that's who we are now.

A Wengerball team.

5 clean sheets in a row and one of the best defensive records in the league... Nothing like Wengerball
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:04 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Tbh I'm happy he's steadied the ship but I'm a little underwhelmed, that for 3 years now ......... its taken us this long just to go round the houses back to Wenger ball.

A Wengerball team.

5 clean sheets in a row and one of the best defensive records in the league... Nothing like Wengerball

Haven't seen the pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass, chance for a shot but let's pass pass pass pass pass etc football we have played under Arteta?

That's wengerball
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:54 am

Ach wrote:
Jedi wrote:

A Wengerball team.

Haven't seen the pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass, chance for a shot but let's pass pass pass pass pass etc football we have played under Arteta?

That's wengerball

Yeah it’s awful, even yesterday there was a lot of really boring pointless football, good if you need a nap but not so good if you want to be entertained.

Newcastle lost to Sheff Utd and really are toothless and lacking in confidence it’s a win we should expect.

I guess we’ve won as many as we’ve lost now.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby starmandb » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:35 am

Özim wrote:
Ach wrote:
Jedi wrote:

A Wengerball team.

That's wengerball

Yeah it’s awful, even yesterday there was a lot of really boring pointless football, good if you need a nap but not so good if you want to be entertained.

Newcastle lost to Sheff Utd and really are toothless and lacking in confidence it’s a win we should expect.

Norwich beat Man City and Leicester last season
We lost home and away to city and Leicester away
starmandb

Postby Ach » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am

Özim wrote:
Ach wrote:
Jedi wrote:

A Wengerball team.

That's wengerball

Against Sheffield United, Newcastle fielded 8 defensive players in the hope they wouldn't lose. Against us they went more attacking.

Point is they saw this game as the more likely to win hence the more attacking side. Thankfully they failed but that's the mentality of teams these days where they see us as a team they can pick points off

That's the level we are at with Arteta
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk