Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Ach wrote:Trust the process

We have an identity

Yes, if that identiy is being 10th.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 pm

https://www.givemesport.com/1532425-mikel-arteta-tells-alexandre-lacazette-he-cant-do-flicks-in-arsenal-training-session

Can anyone recall the last time we've played quick one twos with little flicks and dinks around the corner for players to run on to? I recall seeing this story a while back buy just watching some football and it's the little flicks and one twos that's standing out because it's like i haven’t seen us do them in ages.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Power n Glory wrote:https://www.givemesport.com/1532425-mikel-arteta-tells-alexandre-lacazette-he-cant-do-flicks-in-arsenal-training-session

Can anyone recall the last time we've played quick one twos with little flicks and dinks around the corner for players to run on to? I recall seeing this story a while back buy just watching some football and it's the little flicks and one twos that's standing out because it's like i haven’t seen us do them in ages.

Sounds like the same thing Pep does. A lot of huffing and puffing about perfecting the fundamentals. But Pep only ever gets top players that can actually follow that approach and still make the football look good.

All Arteta did was strangle the life out of the attack. We're on track to score the fewest goals in 15 league seasons. Well, technically, the fewest since last season because that was the newest low.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby dc16 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:10 pm

Power n Glory wrote:https://www.givemesport.com/1532425-mikel-arteta-tells-alexandre-lacazette-he-cant-do-flicks-in-arsenal-training-session

Yeah I remember thinking the same around Christmas time when we played West Brom and I think there was another match around the same time when Laca hooked up with Saka or there was a quick one two around the area.

All that has gone out the window along with any enjoyment it would seem.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby dc16 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm

Neville and Sky setting their agenda out at least.

dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:19 pm

aniym wrote:

Sounds like the same thing Pep does. A lot of huffing and puffing about perfecting the fundamentals. But Pep only ever gets top players that can actually follow that approach and still make the football look good.

All Arteta did was strangle the life out of the attack. We're on track to score the fewest goals in 15 league seasons. Well, technically, the fewest since last season because that was the newest low.

I don't particularly enjoy watching us play and I'm wondering if the players actually enjoy our style of football. Our game just looks so slow and lifeless. I thought it was just symptom of no fans in the stadium but whenever I watch another team the pace of the game is noticeable as well.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:28 pm

dc16 wrote:

Yeah I remember thinking the same around Christmas time when we played West Brom and I think there was another match around the same time when Laca hooked up with Saka or there was a quick one two around the area.

Yep, that ESR, Saka and Laca link up was a throwback. Definitely missing Smith Rowe. Watching how he and Saka connected was a highlight but that was phased out since ESR no longer plays through the middle. It's been a gradual downgrade in quality. It started with Emery where the distances between our players were massive.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby dc16 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
dc16 wrote:

Yep, that ESR, Saka and Laca link up was a throwback. Definitely missing Smith Rowe. Watching how he and Saka connected was a highlight but that was phased out since ESR no longer plays through the middle. It's been a gradual downgrade in quality. It started with Emery where the distances between our players were massive.

It’s crazy the regression when those two don’t play. Quite shameful as well for some of the other players, particularly senior ones who can’t be f***ked.

Obviously It comes down to management as well and I think if Nevilles comments are anything to go by we are going to see a bit of a struggle between the two factions.

I’m just a bit numb to it all tbh. I like to remain positive and like to have a positive outlook but nowadays, I always hope we will turn a corner but I watch us play and then I may watch a bit of AFTV or MOTD after but none of it really seems to surprise me anymore. It’s just rinse and repeat.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:01 pm

dc16 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
dc16 wrote:

It’s crazy the regression when those two don’t play. Quite shameful as well for some of the other players, particularly senior ones who can’t be f***ked.

Obviously It comes down to management as well and I think if Nevilles comments are anything to go by we are going to see a bit of a struggle between the two factions.

I’m just a bit numb to it all tbh. I like to remain positive and like to have a positive outlook but nowadays, I always hope we will turn a corner but I watch us play and then I may watch a bit of AFTV or MOTD after but none of it really seems to surprise me anymore. It’s just rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't even pay attention to Neville with his click bait take. I'm looking at Arteta in the video and he seems calm. I don't think we were set up to press high. Been listening to a few podcasts and James from Arseblog was saying how he noticed Arteta kept on yelling fo Chambers not to.overlap when were in possession. They were also talking about the amount of instructions he yells out during the game. It's already been noted how Auba was marking Alexander Arnold for most of the game. I think we were just too defensive. If Arteta had lost the players and didn't care there wouldn't have been a fight back against West Ham.

But yes it's rinse and repeat. It's been like this since Arteta arrived. He can't sustain a run of good form and we definitely lack an identity. He doesn't tinker as much as Unai and some managers tend to tinker a lot but Artea hasn't really settled on a way to play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:34 pm

There are 7 London teams in the Premier League, we currently sit 4th in the list, 4th!!!

There are three other London teams that sit higher in the league than us! Digest that!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby KG3 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:49 am

What I find funny is that David Moyes joined West Ham the same month as Arteta joined us, at that point West Ham were 17th 1 point clear of relegation, now he were we are a year and a few months on, they’re in top 4 with a few games left. Moyes has an even more average squad and limited budget that Arteta.

Now imagine the outrage if we went for David Moyes back then instead of Arteta, not saying Moyes is the answer or anything but this just shows how this job is far too big for Arteta, just like how Lampard was out of his depth at Chelsea.

Aside from the rare examples like Pep/Zidane every manager has to start somewhere small with less pressure, even they had some sort of experience with B team sides before taking on the big job.

The only thing Arteta had on his CV was being peps cone man and somehow that made him qualified for the job :lol:

Arteta is an intelligent guy and who knows maybe in the future he’ll become a great manager but we can’t afford to wait 5 years for him to learn, he’s already doing damage to us as it is, the next manager will have no talented youths to work with at this rate the way Arteta is forcing them out, for the sake of our club and it’s future we need to let him go at the end of the season, even if we win the Europa, because let’s be honest with those fixtures we have left a PE teacher could win the cup.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 am

KG3 wrote:What I find funny is that David Moyes joined West Ham the same month as Arteta joined us, at that point West Ham were 17th 1 point clear of relegation, now he were we are a year and a few months on, they’re in top 4 with a few games left. Moyes has an even more average squad and limited budget that Arteta.

Now imagine the outrage if we went for David Moyes back then instead of Arteta, not saying Moyes is the answer or anything but this just shows how this job is far too big for Arteta, just like how Lampard was out of his depth at Chelsea.

Aside from the rare examples like Pep/Zidane every manager has to start somewhere small with less pressure, even they had some sort of experience with B team sides before taking on the big job.

The only thing Arteta had on his CV was being peps cone man and somehow that made him qualified for the job :lol:

Arteta is an intelligent guy and who knows maybe in the future he’ll become a great manager but we can’t afford to wait 5 years for him to learn, he’s already doing damage to us as it is, the next manager will have no talented youths to work with at this rate the way Arteta is forcing them out, for the sake of our club and it’s future we need to let him go at the end of the season, even if we win the Europa, because let’s be honest with those fixtures we have left a PE teacher could win the cup.

Crazy season. Moyes didn't even have a budget. One of the lowest spending teams this season but is pushing for top 4. Jokes on us.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:10 am

What young players has Arteta forced out?
Only sam Greenwood who has had 33 mins in the fa cup at Leeds we have some out on loan as we have had under as many managers as I can remember
Youth football has always been trial and error
You can’t keep em all
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:23 am

starmandb wrote:What young players has Arteta forced out?
Only sam Greenwood has had 33 mins in the fa cup at Leeds we have some out on loan as we have had under as many managers as I can remember
Youth football has always been trial and error
You can’t keep em all

Saliba and Gunedouzi are two - forced out whilst keeping Ceballos Holding and Mari. Are they better?
Martinelli he has not completely forced out yet - though I think Martinelli will leave now if a big club comes in for him. Arteta has preferred a woefully out of form Auba. Pepe and Willian.
Then I think he has also not given ESR the minutes he should have had.
Willock has gone out on loan.
AMN has gone out on loan.
Nelson never got a look in.
Nketiah was given just over 300 minutes in the PL and dumped.

Now I am not saying all of those players are good enough, but it does appear to me that Arteta gives less opportunity to young players, preferring the more established players (many of which ar the reason we are in decline in the league).
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am

They have gone on loan not sold
If they are good enough
They will play regardless of age
Loads of players become better in the mind when they are not playing
Tierney, Gabriel, saka, smith Rowe, odegaard have had plenty of minutes just recently
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk