Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 pm

I think some people are getting a bit ahead of themselves, Arteta ended the season well but we still ended up 8th and got knocked out of the EL league early and suffered some poor defeats.

As I said it’s bought him a bit of time and a chance to show what he can do, but there’s a long way to go before he can be called elite or indeed be considered the right man.

Emery almost got 4th place and got to the final of the EL and countless other managers have done well only for it to go pear shaped (Howe being one of many, Ranieri another) so some of the comments on here are ridiculous (no need to state who, I think it’s clear who they are lol).

He has an opportunity now but needs to do the right things or else things can still turn against him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:54 pm

anyway for next season this 3atb can't continue. it's merely being used as a needs must rather than a preference of system (we pretty much become a 4atb on the ball anyway)

Leno
Emi
Bellerin - Saliba - ??? - Tierney
Cedric - Holding - Luiz - Saka/AMN
Ceballos - ???
Willock - Xhaka
Pepe - ??? - ???
Nelson - ESR - Saka
Auba
Martinelli/Eddie

Is what I'd imagine we're going to be in the market to lead towards, the AM will be more action packed than an Ozil like - Coutinho for example is more of the prototypical profile of AM. High chance creation, high shots, pretty high pressures for an elegant player so will drop to form a 3 at times in midfield

from who i've seen linked that fits the bill in these absent roles

LCB options: Diego Carlos, Gabriel Magalhaes
CM: Partey
CAM: Coutinho, Grealish
LW: Grealish, Benrahma, Zaha

i've not seen many more credible links to other players let me know, and the bolded ones would be my preference - and who knows what our budget is
Last edited by Sims on Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:54 pm

Özim wrote:I think some people are getting a bit ahead of themselves, Arteta ended the season well but we still ended up 8th and got knocked out of the EL league early and suffered some poor defeats.

True but he came in December though, that 8th place is attributable to Emery's nightmare half of the season more than anything.

Lets just say this, if Emery were here no way we beat Liverpool, City and Chelsea in the last few weeks so the improvement is there to be seen.

As far as league position goes, you can judge that next season.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:01 pm

Özim wrote:I think some people are getting a bit ahead of themselves, Arteta ended the season well but we still ended up 8th and got knocked out of the EL league early and suffered some poor defeats.

As I said it’s bought him a bit of time and a chance to show what he can do, but there’s a long way to go before he can be called elite or indeed be considered the right man.

Emery almost got 4th place and got to the final of the EL and countless other managers have done well only for it to go pear shaped (Howe being one of many, Ranieri another) so some of the comments on here are ridiculous (no need to state who, I think it’s clear who they are lol).

He has an opportunity now but needs to do the right things or else things can still turn against him.

If we can't get a bit ahead of ourselves when we beat City and Chelsea to an FA Cup victory in our worst season in 25 years, when can we? :think:

In all seriousness though, there's plenty of reasons to get excited. He's managed to turn this shambolic squad of players into a proper team, and we've had some marquee results in the process. Lots of young talent and players who should improve.

Has he turned us from a mid-table club into a Champions League outfit in a few months? No, but that was never reasonable or possible. He's done about as well as anyone could picking up from where Emery left us.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Sims wrote:anyway for next season this 3atb can't continue. it's merely being used as a needs must rather than a preference of system (we pretty much become a 4atb on the ball anyway)

Leno
Emi
Bellerin - Saliba - ??? - Tierney
Cedric - Holding - Luiz - Saka/AMN
Ceballos - ???
Willock - Xhaka
Pepe - Auba - ???
Nelson - Martinelli - Saka

Is what I'd imagine we're going to be in the market to lead towards, the AM will be more action packed than an Ozil like - Coutinho for example is more of the prototypical profile of AM. High chance creation, high shots, pretty high pressures for an elegant player so will drop to form a 3 at times in midfield

from who i've seen linked that fits the bill in these absent roles

LCB options: Diego Carlos, Gabriel Magalhaes
CM: Partey
CAM: Coutinho, Grealish
LW: Grealish, Benrahma, Zaha

i've not seen many more credible links to other players let me know, and the bolded ones would be my preference - and who knows what our budget is

I wish I had your confidence. 10 v 11 gonna be lit.

I'd say:

Martinez/Leno
Bellerín - Saliba - xx - Tierney
xx - xx - Ceballos
Pepe - Laca - Auba

Ideally, what we need is a CAM/ACM, a CM, a CDM, a CB, and a winger for rotation.

CB = Sarr (Free)
CM = Aouar (£50m)
CDM = Partey (£45m)
ACM/CAM = ??
Winger = Zaha? But he'd expect to be a starter for sure. Would cost £50m in today's market. He's also 28.

Martinez/Leno
Bellerín - Saliba - Sarr - Tierney
Aouar - Partey - Ceballos
Pepe - Laca - Auba

'Course Saliba is only 19, so I won't expect him to walk into the starting line-up straightaway.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby hs6bx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 pm

I openly admit I haven’t seen Saliba play. He’s been playing in the French league and is young - Seems to be a lot of people thinking he’s going to be some sort of saviour and walk straight in. I mean I hope he does, but will reserve judgement until he’s in and playing. What are you guys basing this on? YouTube videos?

He isn’t an arteta signing either so it’s not guaranteed at all that he’ll play right away or for the mould.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby LMAO » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:49 pm

hs6bx wrote:I openly admit I haven’t seen Saliba play. He’s been playing in the French league and is young - Seems to be a lot of people thinking he’s going to be some sort of saviour and walk straight in. I mean I hope he does, but will reserve judgement until he’s in and playing. What are you guys basing this on? YouTube videos?

He isn’t an arteta signing either so it’s not guaranteed at all that he’ll play right away or for the mould.

Zidane wants Saliba and sees him as the next Varane if that helps explain how good he is or can become.

Saliba is an aggressive—but not stupid/reckless—CB who's good on the ball, in the air, and with his passing range. Reads the game extremely well for someone who's still a teen. Any manager worth their salt would be able to find a spot for a player like that.

And not for nothing, but he's grown up in Ligue 1, which is known for its physicality, so he shouldn't have too difficult a time adjusting to the PL—only major difference being that he'll be playing against better players on a weekly basis in England than he did in France.

vs Lyon:

vs Monaco:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby hs6bx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 pm

I’m not saying that’s not all true mate, and I hope it is. But I hope you’re basing it on more than YouTube and paper talk is what I’m saying. I mean senderos was supposed to be the best things since sliced bread when we signed him ahead of all Europe’s top clubs. I think it would be unrealistic to expect a teenager playing in the French league to come in and pull up trees. I really hope he does but I think we should maybe calm down the excitement until we’ve seen him in an arsenal shirt at the very least.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:09 pm

Senderos was a pussy this guys a 6ft4 man mountain
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby hs6bx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:50 pm

Sims wrote:Senderos was a pussy this guys a 6ft4 man mountain

Senderos was rubbish. Doesn’t change the fact that he was massively overhyped when we signed him. I’m just saying that paper talk and YouTube can probably get a lot of people excited. Unless you guys are watching Ligue 1 every week I’d say it’s safer to wait until you see him in an arsenal shirt playing in the prem before saying he’s going to be the next varane etc.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Still remember when we signed Nordveit and people were putting him in their starting XIs before seeing him play.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:06 pm

hs6bx wrote:
Sims wrote:Senderos was a pussy this guys a 6ft4 man mountain

Senderos was rubbish. Doesn’t change the fact that he was massively overhyped when we signed him. I’m just saying that paper talk and YouTube can probably get a lot of people excited. Unless you guys are watching Ligue 1 every week I’d say it’s safer to wait until you see him in an arsenal shirt playing in the prem before saying he’s going to be the next varane etc.

We also are paying £30m for Saliba as opposed to a bunch of toblerones like we did for Senderos
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Still remember when we signed Nordveit and people were putting him in their starting XIs before seeing him play.

Bielik as well lol.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Still remember when we signed Nordveit and people were putting him in their starting XIs before seeing him play.

Yeah exactly. I’ve witnessed it a lot in the past. I don’t think it’s just arsenal fans. It’s silly to get too excited before the guys kicked a ball though.

As for the £30m... that’s what Mustafi cost. Not necessarily a good indicator that a defender is going to pull up trees.

I believe he probably will be good, and arteta will get the best out of him I’m sure. But let’s not jump the gun... unless you’ve actually been watching him week in / week out. Then feel free.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk