Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 01, 2021 6:03 am

His tenure is littered with rookie mistake after rookie mistake. All he needed to do was improve our defending a bit, but instead he began to steady to the ship, got promoted then thinks he is Billy Big Bollocks acting like a total batty face boy!

He is breaking all the wrong records and giving us the worst football I have ever seen from Arsenal teams. Even the worst of George Graham - which was the most boring football I can remember, was just boring, it wasn't bad. I didnt think I would hate any games more than I hated Arsenal vs Wimbledon, a long ball-fest, a fixture that had you struggling to remember anything that happened in the 90 mins.

The thing is, what's keeping him still here?? Its not like we have seen any magic that suggests there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have seen nothing that tells me he has anything to offer that will make this pain worth it.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby KG3 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:18 am

We really need a new manager I don’t care if Arteta manages to somehow pull of a fluke and win the europa league, the simple fact is he’s not good enough as a manager and still has a lot to learn.

Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds, Villa our squad is better or equal to those other teams, yet they’re comfortable above us or on similar points.

I don’t even rate him as an elite manager but if we had Rodgers and Leicester had Arteta in charge, you’d see the difference.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Rockape » Sat May 01, 2021 11:48 am

Today’s Telegraph:

Mikel Arteta wants Arsenal to play like a Pep Guardiola team - but they just do not have the players

For some, pragmatism is an ugly word, but Arteta's Arsenal are in danger of becoming a team that wants to be something it cannot

Mikel Arteta is trying to be Pep Guardiola - but Arsenal just do not have the players
Mikel Arteta is bound to have been shaped as a manager by Pep Guardiola and there are few better to learn from than the Manchester City manager, the greatest coach of his generation and a genius in the true sense of the word.

You do not spend as much time as Arteta has with Guardiola - he was his assistant for almost four years - without absorbing, not just his methods and philosophies, but also some of his personality traits.

It is one of the reasons Arteta was an appealing option when Arsenal decided to replace Unai Emery. Not only was he a former player and captain, Arteta had been given arguably the best education available to a young manager during his time at Manchester City.

But Arteta needs to be wary of merely trying to imitate his friend and mentor. When you listen to Arteta speak you hear his voice, but the words that tend to come out are as if Guardiola were speaking.

Before the first leg of Arsenal’s Europa League semi-final defeat to Villarreal, Arteta simply repeated most of the things Guardiola had been saying for the last few weeks.

Answering a question about the pressure of needing to reach the final to save an otherwise poor season, he talked about excitement, opportunity and this being the moment footballers want more than any other.

And then you saw the teamsheet and the formation Arsenal tried to play against a side seventh in La Liga. There was no centre forward, and in what was roughly a 4-3-3, with Pepe hugging the touchline, Arteta asked the 20-year-old Emile Smith Rowe to play as a 'false nine'.

To be fair, that strange call was caused by the fact neither Alexandre Lacazette or Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang were fit enough to start the game, but it did not work.

Emile Smith Rowe struggled as a false nine against
Smith Rowe is an excellent prospect, but he was being asked to do something he had not done before in Arsenal’s biggest game of the season. Unsurprisingly, it did not go well for him or the team.

To make matters worse, Villarreal, coached by Emery, who has rebuilt his reputation in Spain, exposed Arsenal’s system repeatedly. With Juan Foyth bursting forward in the space behind Pepe, who had clearly been instructed to stay up the pitch, Arsenal’s midfield was repeatedly overrun.

Most observers have recognised that Dani Ceballos is too reckless, too ill-disciplined in his positional sense to hold central midfield together, yet here he was making all the same mistakes in a semi-final he has made all season.

And then there was poor Granit Xhaka tasked with playing at left-back, arguably Arsenal’s best defensive midfielder pushed out of position because Kieran Tierney had been ruled out.

Injuries are the bane of every manager, but in doing this, Arteta weakened two positions, his central midfield and out wide as Xhaka was given a torrid evening. It was clear Villarreal were targeting that side of the pitch and it is where their first goal came from.

Villarreal were not doing anything new. In fact, Emery had put them out in a 4-4-2, but he had got the better of the man who replaced him in North London.

Arsenal remain in the tie, thanks to Pepe’s second-half penalty, but they probably should not be. Villarreal were the better side, created far more chances and only some wayward finishing and some breathtaking saves from Bernd Leno kept them in it.

If Arteta deploys the same system in the return leg, it is safe to assume Arsenal will be knocked out and he will be facing serious questions about whether he is the right man to take the club forward.

The worry is, he is still looking a little too closely at what his former boss is doing in Manchester and is trying to do the same. One of the oldest rules of football management is you find a system that fits the players you have.

Arteta seems to want to play a certain way despite the fact it does not make the most of the players at his disposal - he seems to wish he had the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Phil Foden, Ilkay Gundogan, Riyad Mahrez or Raheem Sterling to call upon.

For some, pragmatism is an ugly word, but under Arteta, Arsenal are in danger of becoming a team that wants to be something it cannot be - at this stage, at least.

Arteta is not another Guardiola but that does not have to be a bad thing. But he needs to find himself as a manager and he needs to stop looking at what is happening at Manchester City and assume it will work at Arsenal too. It almost certainly will not
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat May 01, 2021 12:53 pm

Can't disagree with the above.

This was always my fear with Arteta, he's not had the experience to become his own man, with his own ideas.
He tries to ape Pep or Wenger, now we all learn from others but because Arteta has never managed a team like Fulham for example, a team with no hope of replicating a team like City, he's never had to come up with his own style of management.

We CANNOT ape City, its as simple as that, Xhaka, Elneny, Ceballos, Willian etc cannot play like City players.

We need another clear our as well, Holding who we fkin re-signed lol, Chambers who I actually like but I'm not sure about him at RB, Ceballos needs to go back now, we should be getting our own suitable midfielder, he's fked up so many times in the Europa its suicidal.

Is Pepe ever going to be that guy? its looking like we've seen his top level now and it is not that of a £75m player.

We have a lot of issues and Arteta's crap football style hinders everything.

We have enough good players to make a team here, its just not the football Arteta envisages or forces them to play.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 01, 2021 2:05 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
We have enough good players to make a team here, its just not the football Arteta envisages or forces them to play.

I don't think we do.

Look two years ahead and for a moment, assume we develop into a side that can challenge.
Who in the entire squad would you expect to be in the first team as part of that improvement and return to being genuine contenders?

Tierney
Saka
ESR
Martinelli
Gabriel - maybe?
Partey - maybe?

Who else?
We need 3-4 massively successful transfer windows and a little luck with young players developing.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat May 01, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat May 01, 2021 3:40 pm

One of the oldest rules of football management is you find a system that fits the players you have.

Arteta seems to want to play a certain way despite the fact it does not make the most of the players at his disposal - he seems to wish he had the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Phil Foden, Ilkay Gundogan, Riyad Mahrez or Raheem Sterling to call upon.

This is the most damning bit. Arteta cut Ozil because he was a luxury player, but he himself is a wannabe luxury manager.

Stuff like 4-6-0 didn't come out of a vaccuum. He's auditioning for the City job, and sinking us into bottom table status to do it.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Sat May 01, 2021 6:11 pm

tuchel doing bits at chelsea
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby starmandb » Sat May 01, 2021 6:34 pm

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Villareal haven't lost a single EL fixture this season.

A 0-0 result is enough for them next week. We had one shot on target today and got an undeserved penalty, which is fine considering the # of times VAR has decided against us.

I can see Villareal keeping a clean sheet. I can't see us scoring from open play with this lineup.

Yeah but who have they played in the EL ? Have you seen the teams they have played ?!!!!

The best team they had played till they played us was Rb Salzburg
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Angelito » Sat May 01, 2021 6:35 pm

Bunch of bullshit really.

That's like saying fans want to buy Arsenal but they simply don't have the money. Yeah, and?

Let's say even if Arteta did become City manager next season. Would he manage to replicate Pep? No. He hasn't shown that he can.

If he wants to succeed, he needs to manufacture his own style. He hasn't yet. He doesn't even know what his first eleven is. That's 18 months into the job.

He's lucky that he's at Arsenal and the Kroenkes are passive. Anywhere else, he'd have been shown the door already.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Sat May 01, 2021 6:40 pm

aniym wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Villareal haven't lost a single EL fixture this season.

A 0-0 result is enough for them next week. We had one shot on target today and got an undeserved penalty, which is fine considering the # of times VAR has decided against us.

I can see Villareal keeping a clean sheet. I can't see us scoring from open play with this lineup.

Yeah but who have they played in the EL ? Have you seen the teams they have played ?!!!!

I imagine the teams they played used a striker, who may have managed more than one shot on target. That's already better than what we served up.

During their 19-match unbeaten run, they played 13 La Liga teams. Tied against Real, Atletico, Bilbao and Sociedad.

All they need is a tie next week.

They literally play about 8 difficult matches a year in La Liga.
They played their first difficult match yesterday in the EL - and we made it easy for them.
Did you watch the game yesterday? They were crap.

And they won! That's my point.

How many tough teams have we played this EL campaign? Zero. Yet we still lost against Benfica and Olympiakos.

We drew at Benfica and beat them at home
Benfica are Better than RB Salzburg
starmandb

Postby Paddy » Sun May 02, 2021 3:02 pm

Martinelli making arteta look like a mug lol
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Santi » Sun May 02, 2021 3:10 pm

Good win
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun May 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Martinelli on the left, Saka/Pepe on the right, Aubameyang down the middle. This is how the front 3 should look like v Villareal.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Sun May 02, 2021 3:32 pm

Santi wrote:Good win

The way the Toon played it was a very easy game to win, he still needs to go.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Santi wrote:Good win

The way the Toon played it was a very easy game to win, he still needs to go.

It's getting stupid now - when we win, well it's because the other team were rubbish, when we don't it's Arteta's fault.
f***ing childish.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk