Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:31 pm

Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:We could play any system we could care to imagine and we'd end up in the same place, simply because the players are not good enough.
It's way past time to just accept that fact.
We put a gloss on players ability because they play for us.
The number of times I hear, "we must be able to do better if Leicester can be in the top 4", or "our player are better than theirs". The problem is our players are not better than the Leicester players, or the West Ham players, or the Everton players and certainly not the City, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool players.

Completely agree. One or two players can get carried by a system but when you have so many inconsistent players with bad attitude then it's always going to be tough.

Santi - this is the train Arteta missed. From day 1 he must have known that 90% of the players were not good enough for Arsenal.
Instead of the revolution in terms of player replacements that was obviously needed, Arteta went for evolution. Huge mistake and one he can't correct now. It's too late.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Angelito wrote:
starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:Good thing we got rid of Wenger else we’d miss out on this glorious era of getting hit for three at home.

In wenger’s last 59 games
We conceded 3 at home to Leicester Man Utd Liverpool and Man City
Arteta may not be fit for purpose
Neither was wenger

Should we persist with Mikel in the hope that he wins two doubles, reaches the UCL Final, wins 7 FA Cups, builds a new stadium, and enshrines himself as an Invincible?

Every comparison between Wenger—our greatest ever—and Arteta is down to the whimsical analogy between Wenger's worst in 17/18 and Mikel's best, which is what it is now.

I do understand that Arteta has won 2 league titles at City. I would hope he wins two more such titles at Arsenal in the same capacity.

You're comparing the most visionary manager in the history of the game to Pep's assistant.

Respek, respek, respek.

3 Premier League titles. 3 for Wenger, 2 for Mikel.

Respek.

Mind you, I'm not opposed to a statue of Mikel Arteta for improving our defense. It's something we absolutely should do—to announce our conquest to the world.

So we were wrong to get rid of wenger then ?
The same wenger you said should have been sacked 7 years before after we lost at Nottingham Forest in the fa cup in jan 2018?
I didn’t want wenger sacked in January 2011
I thought he still had something to offer
I had changed my mind by October 2011 after another gutless lead losing display at Spurs
Wenger still remains the best manager I have seen at Arsenal
His last 7 years were not good enough
The fact that the last 3 have not been either is not a good enough reason for the rose tinted glasses to come out again
Arsenal still a huge draw in world football
Managerial appointment doesn’t work
You go again
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 pm

starmandb wrote:
Angelito wrote:
starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:Good thing we got rid of Wenger else we’d miss out on this glorious era of getting hit for three at home.

Neither was wenger

Should we persist with Mikel in the hope that he wins two doubles, reaches the UCL Final, wins 7 FA Cups, builds a new stadium, and enshrines himself as an Invincible?

Every comparison between Wenger—our greatest ever—and Arteta is down to the whimsical analogy between Wenger's worst in 17/18 and Mikel's best, which is what it is now.

I do understand that Arteta has won 2 league titles at City. I would hope he wins two more such titles at Arsenal in the same capacity.

You're comparing the most visionary manager in the history of the game to Pep's assistant.

Respek, respek, respek.

3 Premier League titles. 3 for Wenger, 2 for Mikel.

Respek.

Mind you, I'm not opposed to a statue of Mikel Arteta for improving our defense. It's something we absolutely should do—to announce our conquest to the world.

So we were wrong to get rid of wenger then ?
The same wenger you said should have been sacked 7 years before after we lost at Nottingham Forest in the fa cup in jan 2018?
I didn’t want wenger sacked in January 2011
I thought he still had something to offer
I had changed my mind by October 2011 after another gutless lead losing display at Spurs
Wenger still remains the best manager I have seen at Arsenal
His last 7 years were not good enough
The fact that the last 3 have not been either is not a good enough reason for the rose tinted glasses to come out again
Arsenal still a huge draw in world football
Managerial appointment doesn’t work
You go again

Wenger is the greatest you or I will ever see at Arsenal because unlike Chelsea and City, he didn't buy the league. He didn't use his owner's money to establish Arsenal as a global franchise.

You, out of all people, know that the famed back-four we had, three of them were considering retirement and the popular narrative was that they simply weren't good enough for the modern rigours of football.

I was Wenger Out for a significant period. But he shouldn't have been sacked in 2011. In hindsight, he was the only Arsenal guy who held us together for much of those transition years.

Did we have sugar-daddy owners? Did we have a passionate football fan as our owner? Did we have an entire institution backing us?

No, never.

Arsenal was Wenger.

Think about it. Today, we have fans backing Arteta. He's improved us allegedly. Arsenal's shills like the Athletic praises the Kroenkes for understanding the diffrence between a #8 and a #10.

Did you want Wenger gone so that we could brag about our 10th place trophy? Wenger, who revived our fortunes, who had a better record against SAF until 2009 despite not having the resources or the backing; Wenger, who made neutrals fall in love with the game; Wenger, who could have quit anytime, after Dein left..

From a stalwart of a man, we're now with Arteta. As you've said, you want Arteta gone too. What I will never understand is the devotion towards Arteta; it's Gooners accepting Arsenal as a mid-table side, whilst soaring high for two decades in the UCL under Wenger, when all the odds were stacked against him.

Whether the Invincibles, the UCL run in 05/06, the loss in 07/08, the revival and Mesut Ozil's era in 13/14 and thereon, or the FA Cups, there was always the feeling of achievement in all those years. We still did our best.

We didn't hide behind anything. We didn't blame anyone else.

Today, the Arteta fans love to blame Wenger or how appalling, relegation-worthy this abysmal squad is.

It's been 3 years since Wenger's gone. Yet, we're worse off. It's YOUR Arsenal side that was 10 mins away from eliminating the greatest modern day side. It was YOUR Arsenal that Messi ever wanted to play for apart from Argentina and Barcelona. It was Arsenal that would have signed Cristiano if we weren't imporverished.

Can you imagine a world where legends like Cristiano and Messi would want to sign for Mikel Arteta?

That was Wenger's starpower.

This legendary, Arsenal icon of a manager we have, can't even get us to compete for top-6 places, whilst Gooners believe we need Haaland, Mbappe, and Neymar to do so.

As much as most wanted Wenger gone, we were wrong. We never factored in the equation of Arsenal monarchy wanting yes-men, wanting a typical American leader.

I don't give a flying f**k about our fans orgasming due to Arteta's legendary accomplishments as a Gunner.

What I expect is rationality and objectivity. Barring a few here, I haven't seen that.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:16 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:We could play any system we could care to imagine and we'd end up in the same place, simply because the players are not good enough.
The number of times I hear, "we must be able to do better if Leicester can be in the top 4", or "our player are better than theirs". The problem is our players are not better than the Leicester players, or the West Ham players, or the Everton players and certainly not the City, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool players.

Completely agree. One or two players can get carried by a system but when you have so many inconsistent players with bad attitude then it's always going to be tough.

Santi - this is the train Arteta missed. From day 1 he must have known that 90% of the players were not good enough for Arsenal.
Instead of the revolution in terms of player replacements that was obviously needed, Arteta went for evolution. Huge mistake and one he can't correct now. It's too late.

How did he miss it? He’s had 1 window to actually spend any significant sum of money and that was with COVID impact in which we still managed to have a decent window.

Can’t change a squad of 25 inside a year.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:Oh stop crying, since Chelsea in December we've been playing more attacking football and been looking better. One shocker and suddenly we should go back to the shitty 3-4-3 that was all about crosses and the same guy suggesting it moans about crossing too much :dontknow:

4-2-3-1 is fine, just drop Auba for now and put Martinelli or ESR on the left. If Laca doesn't do good for 3-4 games then put Auba up top again in his place. I used to like them both together but it doesn't work anymore when one is lazy.

Also Auba-Laca-Pepe doesn't work because it's two dopey players who can't keep the ball on either side, has to be one or the other. Shame as it sounded like a great front line when we bought nico.

The only shocker is your response.

You have the comprehension of someone with mental difficulties, which may be the case so I'll refrain from any insulting.

I clearly said in my post .......... "I'm not saying we should use 3-4-3".

I don't like Arteta's set up or how he makes us play, again, that was clearly stated, I simply drew the parrallels between our play now, to our play and results then.

How someone can get a statement so wrong is concerning.

DiamondGooner wrote:I'm not saying we have to play 3-4-3

Isn't this game fun?

Dear god you try to get kicks from this forum so bad :rofll:

If it helps I didn’t read past the first 2 lines of your post because I already saw the same old boring shit you keep saying. Good for you that you started it clamouring about 3-4-3 then covered your ass at the end because you have no real clue about the formations anyway.

Many many ‘sincere apologies’ for not reading the rest of your drivel.

No surprise about your typical response though, straight to the angry man syndrome with insults as always, UFGN was right about you.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Santi wrote:Dear god you try to get kicks from this forum so bad :rofll:

If it helps I didn’t read past the first 2 lines of your post because I already saw the same old boring shit you keep saying. Good for you that you started it clamouring about 3-4-3 then covered your ass at the end because you have no real clue about the formations anyway.

No surprise about your typical response though, straight to the angry man syndrome with insults as always, UFGN was right about you.

Criticising a post you didn't even read .......... and you wonder why you end up looking like a dunce I needed to call out? it was there in black and white.

Your back pedalling that I "covered my ass" as you call it, was no such thing, why would I do that? my explanation was complete, you just wish that's what it was because that's what's caught you out with your pants down.

............. there's a lesson here and its not me with the issue, you were at fault, so just own it and stop your squirming.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:28 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:Dear god you try to get kicks from this forum so bad :rofll:

Criticising a post you didn't even read .......... and you wonder why you end up looking like a dunce I needed to call out? it was there in black and white.

Your back pedalling that I "covered my ass" as you call it, was no such thing, why would I do that? my explanation was complete, you just wish that's what it was because that's what's caught you out with your pants down.

............. there's a lesson here and its not me with the issue, you were at fault, so just own it and stop your squirming.

Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:45 am

That response just about sums you up.

You're a child.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:53 am

On another note, back to 10th, Leicester are 3rd ffs.

This manager and his soft boring players are a joke.

There's enough talent in the team to do better however I think the mentality and approach of what Arteta wants them to do is allowing them to be lazy and half hearted.
We need a more aggressive dynamic gameplan, not this possession, possession, sideways, sideways garbage.

For me I'd rather Arteta left, if this is what he's offering then I want something else.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:44 am

DiamondGooner wrote:On another note, back to 10th, Leicester are 3rd ffs.

This manager and his soft boring players are a joke.

There's enough talent in the team to do better however I think the mentality and approach of what Arteta wants them to do is allowing them to be lazy and half hearted.
We need a more aggressive dynamic gameplan, not this possession, possession, sideways, sideways garbage.

For me I'd rather Arteta left, if this is what he's offering then I want something else.

No shit
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 am

starmandb wrote:

Neither was wenger

The mistake was right in front of us. We should have gone for Klopp when he was available.

One more loss and Arteta has equalled the losses Wenger racked up in his last season. Surely he gets the sack? There is nothing special about this manager.

Ultimately it's ownership problem. Too slow to pull the trigger and can't spot a good manager. We could have stuck it out with Wenger for another 3 seasons and we'd have ended here eventually. Ancelotti was right in front of them and they picked Arteta!
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:45 am

PNG, I am gonna tell you right now, this is a somewhat disguised dig at one of your arguments, about not taking stats at their value when you can see for yourself.

This reminds me of those "Now You See Me" films, you cannot always trust your eyes!!

I don't like Arteta but I am not so biased that I can't admit that he has improved us, even from day 1 I saw improvement in our shape. Danny Murphy on MoTD said he has seen an improvement. But what improvement have we REALLY seen?

If you compare his first 50 games with Emery's 51 games and Wenger's last 50 (and worst 50 games in his Arsenal career) there is no net improvement whatsoever. He shipped 8 less goals than Wenger but scored 24 goals less - all this with a better defence, midfield and attack than Wenger had!

Arteta's 42% win rate versus Wenger's 54% tells you the other story as does the fact Emery got 49%. So I can say our eyes have deceived us, there has been no improvement at all. We have been duped. We ship fewer goals but make far more individual mistakes.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:30 am

Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Santi wrote:

How did he miss it? He’s had 1 window to actually spend any significant sum of money and that was with COVID impact in which we still managed to have a decent window.

Can’t change a squad of 25 inside a year.

His job is to get the best out of what he has, he’s brought in a fair few players and already yet we’re worse than we’ve ever been.

You make so many excuses for the guy, a guy who by the way has never shown he’s actually capable of being a decent manager.

In the end he sets the tactics, picks the teams (and often picks the wrong players), motivates the players etc and yet we’re 10th in the league, he’s also shown to be worse than Emery who had an inferior squad.

This support for Arteta is a joke, he hasn’t earnt it, doesn’t deserve it and is an average manager at best, this guy WILL NOT lead us to where we should be, he’ll just keep us as a bunch of midtable nobodies which some fans seem to be happy to accept.

Get rid of him and find someone decent, someone who is actually based on tangible results and not unsubstantiated hype.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:32 am

theHotHead wrote:PNG, I am gonna tell you right now, this is a somewhat disguised dig at one of your arguments, about not taking stats at their value when you can see for yourself.

This reminds me of those "Now You See Me" films, you cannot always trust your eyes!!

I don't like Arteta but I am not so biased that I can't admit that he has improved us, even from day 1 I saw improvement in our shape. Danny Murphy on MoTD said he has seen an improvement. But what improvement have we REALLY seen?

If you compare his first 50 games with Emery's 51 games and Wenger's last 50 (and worst 50 games in his Arsenal career) there is no net improvement whatsoever. He shipped 8 less goals than Wenger but scored 24 goals less - all this with a better defence, midfield and attack than Wenger had!

Arteta's 42% win rate versus Wenger's 54% tells you the other story as does the fact Emery got 49%. So I can say our eyes have deceived us, there has been no improvement at all. We have been duped. We ship fewer goals but make far more individual mistakes.

Alex Ferguson’s entire career win rate was 59%. Wenger’s last 50 games was 54%. But he had to go. Was letting us down.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 am

I dont accept that I will never see a better side than we saw under wenger
How can I believe that when I saw Arsenal’s 70/71 side and our 2001/02 side bettered?
Global franchise
What does that mean?
Only one Arsenal
The one that wenger arrived at was only behind Liverpool as the most decorated club in the country
We were on the map globally
From my first days of going it was always in the programme how we were welcoming such and such fanclub from somewhere in the world.
Arsenal was wenger?
What an insult to you,I & anyone that ever had a care for this club
Wenger was a great chapter of this club’s history but unlike us was paid to do so
I don’t doubt his affection but I believe his desire to do everything rather than delegate well ended up very damaging
In fact his nose was put out of joint when he had keown helping defence wise during our run to the champions league final and he was jettisoned
Are people unequivocally backing Arteta?
Of course 10th is not good enough but does not moaning about every aspect of the club mean you are happy with his management?
To say Wenger never complained is a joke
His excuse mongery regarding tiredness, refereeing, pitches engendered an excuse culture at the club that meant 4th became a trophy and good enough
Never was this more realised than after the Eduardo injury he spoke of how 4 points clear at the top Arsenal were not going to be able to be lifted as they were very down
Not
“ we got a point on a difficult day, we go again”
I wanted Wenger gone because he had seen what he had now and it was never going to be good enough again.
Just participating is not good enough
We should be competing to win and setting up sides in the best way to do so
Was that losing leads at Chelsea and United in that 07/08 season plus the champions league at Liverpool?
A naivety that continued in games like Monaco
A pragmatist learns from mistakes
He refused to and I believe later was unable to
If wenger wanted more ambition from the Board why didn’t he quit?
He was as comfortable taking the shilling as the board were in getting the champions league money.
Not good enough for a fan who wants us trying to win the lot
The Neutrals like watching us play
Arghh that’s nice......
Couldn’t give a f**k what the neutrals think
We are in the business of. Winning trophies
If we do it playing well that’s a bonus
But winning is everything
Wenger had a fantastic team in the Champions league and failed to utelise it properly
Messi and Ronaldo?
Utter puffery thrown out as spin
Pay and players will come and play
At a great club in a major city in the world
They didn’t
We didn’t
Tell us less show us more
Wenger still gets mentioned because as sure as eggs are eggs( happy Easter by the way) the careful what you wish for brigade would always harp back to him.
I wanted better
Still do
Always will
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk