Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:56 am

Another win, midtable here we stay.

He’s got a few wins under his belt, been fortunate how it panned out with injuries and suspensions as well.

Is it an improvement or just circumstances, who knows, still want the guy out and someone better in.

We exploited the wide areas yesterday with Southampton having both their main full backs missing and it worked for us.

Has to win the EL for me, no chance of top 4 in the league.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 am

I say to everyone harping on about the players not being good enough, explain how we have 5 wins and a draw in our last 6 PL games and a noticiable improvement in performance in most of the games, since we languished in 15th place.

The fault was with the manager, its that simple.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:06 am

theHotHead wrote:I say to everyone harping on about the players not being good enough, explain how we have 5 wins and a draw in our last 6 PL games and a noticiable improvement in performance in most of the games, since we languished in 15th place.

And what would you expect a manager to do when going through such a slump?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:09 am

Try something different for a start and stop picking players who don’t perform week in week out.

Seems that was too complex for Arteta to grasp however.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am

Özim wrote:Try something different for a start and stop picking players who don’t perform week in week out.

:clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:16 am

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I say to everyone harping on about the players not being good enough, explain how we have 5 wins and a draw in our last 6 PL games and a noticiable improvement in performance in most of the games, since we languished in 15th place.

And what would you expect a manager to do when going through such a slump?

It was obvious to everyone that the personnel and the system didn't work. Obvious to everyone except Arteta. Thankfully it looks like he may have worked it out, we will see.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 am

Özim wrote:Try something different for a start and stop picking players who don’t perform week in week out.

If the slump was his doing, is the improvement in form also down to him?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:22 am

Phil71 wrote:

He was forced into changes due to suspensions and injuries, the turnaround was luck over judgement.

Ok he’s carried it on, but I wouldn’t say his actions halted the slump, they were forced changes.

Either way results have improved but realistically the top 4 is out of our grasp, EL is where it’s at, he has to win it for me, that was always the aim after the disaster prior to Christmas, nothing else will convince me he should stay.

Our form has improved as you said but we’re still only 8th, results could just as easily turn now and leave us looking down and not up again.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 am

Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

He was forced into changes due to suspensions and injuries, the turnaround was luck over judgement.

Ok he’s carried it on, but I wouldn’t say his actions halted the slump, they were forced changes.

You mean he used the players he had available to him.

Isn't that what every football manager does?

Is it so difficult for you to admit that he went through a bad patch and now he is doing a good job?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:38 am

Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Is it so difficult for you to admit that he went through a bad patch and now he is doing a good job?

Not not really, some managers are proactive and make changes when things aren’t working, he waited until he had no choice, if injuries and suspensions to those favourite players of his hadn’t happened he’d have stuck to the same old losing formula as he did for many weeks prior to that.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:42 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

He had the players available to him before, so why did it take him so long to make the changes ? Thats the point Ozim is making and its a point I agree with. I also agree that he didn't make the changes because he had an epiphany, he made them because he was forced to and, as luck would have it, the changes seem to be working.

What I have no problem saying is, the bad form was down to the manager NOT the players, so, conversely, the good form is down to the manager. the players are much better than they were made out to be by far too many people.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:07 pm

Özim wrote:Another win, midtable here we stay.

He’s got a few wins under his belt, been fortunate how it panned out with injuries and suspensions as well.

Is it an improvement or just circumstances, who knows, still want the guy out and someone better in.

We exploited the wide areas yesterday with Southampton having both their main full backs missing and it worked for us.

We had tierney missing with a muscle issue
Injury is part and parcel of the game
I don’t make excuses for us
Damn sure I’m not gonna make excuses for others being an arsenal fan & that
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Either way results have improved but realistically the top 4 is out of our grasp, EL is where it’s at, he has to win it for me, that was always the aim after the disaster prior to Christmas, nothing else will convince me he should stay.

Our form has improved as you said but we’re still only 8th, results could just as easily turn now and leave us looking down and not up again.

Realistically we can still get into the top 3
starmandb

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:30 pm

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Realistically we can still get into the top 3

It will never happen, we have no chance, that’s not realistic at all, not with Arteta in charge, he’s not a good enough manager.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:31 pm

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:Another win, midtable here we stay.

We had tierney missing with a muscle issue
Injury is part and parcel of the game
I don’t make excuses for us
Damn sure I’m not gonna make excuses for others being an arsenal fan & that

The point was Arteta never made changes until he was left with no choice.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk