Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Santi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:35 pm

Says the other guy is resorting to insults then calls that guy a reject, looool.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:40 pm

The writing is on the wall.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:43 pm

Nuggets wrote:The writing is on the wall.

Think the reality of football management is catching up with Arteta.
He won't be able to sustain his style without the losing the players.
Every time we play now and can't create and break down defences Arteta is going to look like a clown.
His only route out of the mess he's made is to win and win in an enteratining fashion.

Promising start, but down to bullying the players - short term gain, won't last.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Giving him the job continues to haunt us every day
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Nuggets wrote:The writing is on the wall.

Hopefully it includes directions to the U23 locker room.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Some of you lot are f*cking insane, honestly.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Callum wrote:Some of you lot are f*cking insane, honestly.

Amen.

We beat City, Liverpool 2x and Chelsea, win two trophies in less than a month yet they fall to pieces from one narrow loss to City where even Sterling said in an interview "Arsenal were very tough, it was a nervy nip and tuck game".

Remember what opposition were saying about AFC only a year ago? "Lets go to the Emirates and put it on em, they always crumble at the back".

People forgetting us getting licked by Brighton for godsake.

This is nothing but agenda now, no reasoning with these people.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunpowder » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Honestly I'm worried about smaller sides. Barely losing to City is fine but barely holding on to win against Sheffield United and West Ham isn't.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:44 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Whether CAM or CM, what is pretty clear is that we have been decimated when it comes to creative players that play through the middle
I would go as far as to say we now have none.
Ceballos is the closest but he plays more defensively under Arteta.

It seems as though Arteta just doesn't like creative players in the middle of the park.
He seems like the kind of manager who would have even dropped Bergkamp - or told him to play in front of the back 4.

Whatever we're doing on the organisation side - we have improved - but we have become utterly boring.

His objective is to control large portions of the game by keeping the ball. That’s all well and good but what do you do once you win the ball? His present midfield offers very little going forward. El Neny is useless on the ball, Xhaka is careless, Ceballos despite being a good dribbler doesn’t seem to be able to pick a pass, and Partey god only knows at this stage. How is Arteta planning on getting the ball to Auba? Is it going to be entirely through Saka and Bellerin? This is why the decision to drop Ozil is so utterly baffling. Why would we not play a 4213 with a midfield of Ozil, Partey and Elneny until we are able to buy a player like Aouar who can give him the control and creativity he is seeking?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:00 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Callum wrote:Some of you lot are f*cking insane, honestly.

Amen.

We beat City, Liverpool 2x and Chelsea, win two trophies in less than a month yet they fall to pieces from one narrow loss to City where even Sterling said in an interview "Arsenal were very tough, it was a nervy nip and tuck game".

Remember what opposition were saying about AFC only a year ago? "Lets go to the Emirates and put it on em, they always crumble at the back".

People forgetting us getting licked by Brighton for godsake.

This is nothing but agenda now, no reasoning with these people.

We got licked by Brighton post corona virus under Mikel Arteta :dontknow:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:02 am

Gunpowder wrote:Honestly I'm worried about smaller sides. Barely losing to City is fine but barely holding on to win against Sheffield United and West Ham isn't.

After seeing what they did to Wolves, Leicester, and Spurs, I'm okay with how Arsenal got the three points.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby swipe right » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:59 am

He’s shown poor judgement with Ozil, Guendozi, Torreira and Saliba. Three of them are on our books for the long term. Banishing them is not the way to being the best out of them. He has effectively killed their transfer value.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:32 am

I didn't want Arteta as manager but I like the way he's not accepting players who aren't fully committed to the cause.

I'm more upset about Papa than Ozil cos at least he appears to always give 100%.

Leaving mesut out also sends a message to others. Doesn't matter what your reputation or pay is, you have to pull your weight. It will also make other players think twice about seeing out their contracts.

As long as the results are coming I'm happy. The players on the pitch seem happy enough too.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:17 am

Tony Adams wrote:I didn't want Arteta as manager but I like the way he's not accepting players who aren't fully committed to the cause.

I'm more upset about Papa than Ozil cos at least he appears to always give 100%.

Leaving mesut out also sends a message to others. Doesn't matter what your reputation or pay is, you have to pull your weight. It will also make other players think twice about seeing out their contracts.

As long as the results are coming I'm happy. The players on the pitch seem happy enough too.

To get through a grueling season a manager needs the support of the entire squad, not just a handful of chosen players. He needs different options and skills. Arteta will get found out once the pressure is on.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:06 am

Tony Adams wrote:I didn't want Arteta as manager but I like the way he's not accepting players who aren't fully committed to the cause.

That's all fine and dandy when 90% of your players are average. We have two superstar players in Ozil and Aubameyang. Ozil has been banished. Auba is on higher wages than Mesut.

We don't have a team filled with superstars or world class players. You could argue that we have one world class player. Tomorrow, if Neymar joins Arsenal, there's no way you could ask him to track back or put in a defensive shift. That doesn't mean he's not committed to the cause.

It depends on what your intention is as a manager. As I've started numerous times before, we signed 4 defenders this year (including Saliba), a past-his-peak winger, a DM/B2B midfielder, and extended the contract of another CB (Luiz).

In contrast, we have four midfielders in the Premier League squad.

The results might dry up as it did under Emery. While I rate Mikel higher than Unai, we are 17th in shots per game. We have been scrapping past teams. This approach isn't sustainable. It's akin to fans celebrating that we were 3rd ahead of City at the start of last season.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk