Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby ESR10 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Rayyo wrote:
Mustafi wrote:I would have loved Arteta to be more adventurous sometimes. The second half in the city game I would have expected him to go for changes by the 60th minute trying to get something out of the game, instead he played it safe.

if we would have gone for it and lost 3 or 4-0 then the headlines would have been 'same old arsenal getting tanked away' from home against a top 6 team. that would have had a huge negative effect on the mindset of the players, denting their confidence. i definitely think arteta is aware of our brittle mindset and i can see why he played it like a game of chess instead. as it were we lost 1-0 in a tight affair and what you often find in these cagey games is that you are gifted a good chance to score, and that was the case, but aubameyang failed to convert.

had he got that equaliser we would have come away feeling much better and singing arteta's praises. im not saying what he did was right but i can understand why he set us up the way he did. the margins are so tight in big games and with a bit of luck you can come away with something. but give me losing 1-0 in a cagey affair over getting spanked 3 or 4-0 . ive had enough of getting drubbed and i quite like our maturity & discipline in big games now. we just need to back him with the right attacking players to push on.

I kinda agree with what you are saying, I also can understand that Arteta is trying to change the mind set and the way we are handling bigger games, but at the end of the day three points are three points,
It makes no sense to me to defend a tight loss.

And yes, had Auba, Saka or Pepe converted their chances, then Arteta would have been a hero on Saturday.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Would love arteta to go
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm

Ach wrote:Would love arteta to go

And have who ?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:16 pm

It's just be bought to my attention that we played a 4-3-3 against City.

That changes a few things knowing that.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:31 pm

VCC wrote:
Ach wrote:Would love arteta to go

And have who ?

Allegri, Ancelotti, Nagelsmann to name but 3.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:It's just be bought to my attention that we played a 4-3-3 against City.

What does it change for you? I thought 4-3-3 was fairly attacking but we didn’t have much in our attack.

That’s the real problem at the moment, really needs to work on this, that’s one area Arteta hasn’t got to grips with at all.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Still sorting the defence atm imo. Once that is sorted he'll focus on attack.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Why can’t he fix all issues at once? Surely the point is to get your team to play a certain way, not just sit back and defend.

Next few weeks are important, he needs to start showing some ambition, particularly against the weaker teams.

He got 3 players (4 if you count Saliba but the guy won’t play him) in the summer they should certainly change the way the team plays. It makes no sense for our attack to struggle when we have so much attacking talent.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:02 pm

Power n Glory wrote:It's just be bought to my attention that we played a 4-3-3 against City.

We played the same system we've been playing all season.

3-4-3 in defense, 4-3-3 in offense.

I actually think our attack has got worse since playing this hybrid formation, yes sometimes it still took a while playing 3-4-3 only but at least we usually nicked a goal or 2, we're really struggling to overlap with our front 3 now playing 4-3-3 and that's causing Auba to stay wide.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Özim wrote:

What does it change for you? I thought 4-3-3 was fairly attacking but we didn’t have much in our attack.

That’s the real problem at the moment, really needs to work on this, that’s one area Arteta hasn’t got to grips with at all.

Well actually it depends how you play it.

Mourhino used to play a 4-2-3-1 and was very defensive with it, he used to play 2 CDM's sitting in front of the back 4.

4-4-2 used to be the most attacking formation going years back, now the irony is its become one of the most defensive systems played today, its literally the "Park the bus with two banks of 4 then counter" system used by a lot of the Championship promoted teams and Atletico Madrid use it that way also.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby immsun » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Karma to be served here.

Hope he gets treated like Mesut n gets Sacked.

Pep come soon.
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:40 pm

Rayyo wrote:i like the fact he's building from the back.

you cant win the title without a good defence.

Oh please. Do me a favor. He’s got five at the back because he doesn’t trust his CBs. As a result there is no link between the back line and the forwards. His balance between defense and attack is all wrong.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 pm

Cebalos is the only creative mid in our 25 man squad. We aren’t making top four this season. Guaranteed
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gamechannel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 am

swipe right wrote:Cebalos is the only creative mid in our 25 man squad. We aren’t making top four this season. Guaranteed

I agree. Cebellos is not even 10 percent as creative as Ozil on his worst day. I hope ESR is ready to fill that void now that he's fit.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:35 am

Arteta has a squad that's valued behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd ... not far above Everton, Wolves, Leicester and Villa. That's partly because we have old players running down contracts but also because our midfield is worth far less than our main rivals - Party 50m is our highest then a 19 year old kid Saka rates second - compare that with most of our rivals who all have five or six high value midfield players.

Arteta is putting in place a structure that will against most sides restrict goals conceded, the problem is with so little quality in transition are forward line is going to be isolated far to often. You simply can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear,

If he can keep the starting eleven players fit no doubt we can challenge for top four, any injuries will make that a near impossibility.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk