Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:19 am

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:I think he’s done ok so far, defensively we’re much better no doubt about that, yes he took over a shambles but that wasn’t really reflective of the players we had, it was more players losing faith in the managers or not believing them in the 1st place.

We won the cup last season but our league position was poor, this season it’s not been a great start so the jury’s out for me.

He has effectively had 2 pre-seasons, the pre-season after the Covid-19 break and the pre-season for the start of the 2020/21 season. He has had plenty of time to work on things with the squad, we should really be seeing that work reflected on the pitch. We could see changes defensively from his first few games as a manager last season, its more difficult to change things offensively than defensively, we all know that, but I need to be seeing progress and I am not.

He's put more pressure on himself too by leaving out Ozil.
We lack creativity and we have our most creative player on an £18m paid holiday.
Arteta made his own bed here and it's up to him to solve the puzzle.
So far he has not done it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Hardly any improvement. He's alienated our best player out on the left and our best creative player out of the squad. No idea how to handle guendouzi and the saliba saga was dreadful

Not getting ancelotti haunts us to this day
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Ach wrote:Hardly any improvement. He's alienated our best player out on the left and our best creative player out of the squad. No idea how to handle guendouzi and the saliba saga was dreadful

Throw in the fact he dropped Martinelli, completely banishing him from the pitch even in games where he was on the bench and we were losing.
It's been one shambles after another from Arteta in terms of man-management.

So far he has got away with it because he HAS made us more organised, but that is going to wear thin fast. Stoke were well organised in the PL, too. That is not a measure of success, it is a measure of basic professionalism.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 pm

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/19/a ... inst-city/
“If you have got a centre-forward on the bench who is your top goalscorer as well, to turn around and say, ‘Look, I am going to play Willian as the centre-forward. You sit on the bench and watch him play centre-forward’, I think that is very disrespectful.”

Have to agree with Andy Cole here. I haven't really thought of the message it sends out to Lacazette. I'm assuming Laca will start on Thursday but there is a possibility he starts with Nketiah instead. Arteta has to work on that attacking three. It's probably his weakest point in terms of team selection where odd choices just keep popping up.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:32 pm

Massive improvement from Emery's horror show, still needs to improve more though
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby gamechannel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:36 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:Hardly any improvement. He's alienated our best player out on the left and our best creative player out of the squad. No idea how to handle guendouzi and the saliba saga was dreadful

Throw in the fact he dropped Martinelli, completely banishing him from the pitch even in games where he was on the bench and we were losing.
It's been one shambles after another from Arteta in terms of man-management.

So far he has got away with it because he HAS made us more organised, but that is going to wear thin fast. Stoke were well organised in the PL, too. That is not a measure of success, it is a measure of basic professionalism.

That Martinelli one was a total head scratcher too.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Torreira featured from the off for Atletico and impressed, no excuses about only being with the team a few days or being in a new country.

We spend 45 million on a guy and he gets 10 minutes, go figure.

You can praise Arteta for the work he’s done so far, but he does make a fair few puzzling decisions, dropping Laca as stated above was another one, you perform well and then get dropped, so odd, then rubbish like Luiz and Xhaka play week in week out, what message does that send out.

The Saliba and Martinelli nonsense are another two examples, I don’t think this helps get fans onside either!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Özim wrote:Torreira featured from the off for Atletico and impressed, no excuses about only being with the team a few days or being in a new country.

We spend 45 million on a guy and he gets 10 minutes, go figure.

You can praise Arteta for the work he’s done so far, but he does make a fair few puzzling decisions, dropping Laca as stated above was another one, you perform well and then get dropped, so odd, then rubbish like Luiz and Xhaka play week in week out, what message does that send out.

The Saliba and Martinelli nonsense are another two examples, I don’t think this helps get fans onside either!

There's no doubt Arteta is a cautious manager, I think people are going to have to get used to that.

Arteta grew under Wenger's and Peps tactics, he tried the possession tactic when he first came here (as manager) and dropped that, he also immediately realised he didn't have the players City has for dominant flash football ........... so he's reverted to his true type in my opinion, something he's had to come up with himself.

He says he prefers 4-3-3 but he's been too scared to fully adopt that formation now only trying it going forward only, not as a full game plan.

He's gotten used to the 5atb, I don't think that's changing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:34 pm

It’s simply the fact partey played 180 minutes for Ghana and Torreira played 13 minutes for Uruguay imo.

Wouldn’t have started partey either tbh, new signings shouldn’t just waltz into the team really. We should’ve signed him months ago so he could’ve started this game.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:43 am

Torreira played a full 90 in Atleti's win over Celta in the weekend.

Not suggesting Thomas should have started btw.

Just interesting how he just waltzed into Simeone's line-up when he barely got game time under Arteta here.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ESR10 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:49 am

Angelito wrote:Torreira played a full 90 in Atleti's win over Celta in the weekend.

Just interesting how he just waltzed into Simeone's line-up when he barely got game time under Arteta here.

Torreira is a good fit to Simeones play style, i can see him becoming the DM for Atletico. I hope he does well there. I liked him.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:55 am

There was noting wrong with Torreira at Arsenal, he proved that in the first half of his first season, a proper second season playing in his best role would have seen him used to the pace and power of the Premier league so most likely no dip in performance in the latter half of the season.

Emery flopped that and we never saw the best of Torreira, Arteta didn't give him a go either.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:59 am

Mustafi wrote:
Angelito wrote:Torreira played a full 90 in Atleti's win over Celta in the weekend.

Torreira is a good fit to Simeones play style, i can see him becoming the DM for Atletico. I hope he does well there. I liked him.

He will do well under Simeone. But wasn’t the right fit for us. Couldn’t carry the ball or pass. A pure ball winning dm is a luxury nowadays. Plus his lack of stature would mean he has zero chance of winning arial balls.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ESR10 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am

I would have loved Arteta to be more adventurous sometimes. The second half in the city game I would have expected him to go for changes by the 60th minute trying to get something out of the game, instead he played it safe.

We don't have many offensive solutions, we don't know how to break defenses, and he doesn't seem to have got it right yet. Keeping Özil out of the squad isn't helping either.

Also dropping Lacazette after getting 3 in 3, persisting with (poorly performing) Willian is sending the wrong message to the players.

Saying that, we have played the two most difficult fixtures in the league in our first five games, didn't look out of our depth, have a very good defensive record and we are fifth.
ESR10

Postby Gunpowder » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:12 am

I don't mind Thomas not starting so soon either but I'm bothered with signing him so late. Price was £45m all summer. He could have been the difference between a point and a loss
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk