Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:02 pm

swipe right wrote:
CaptGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Mitch wrote:That point topped off a good January.

Unbeaten in the league, 11 points out of 15, 4 points against Soton and United, 2nd best defence in the league.

We shipped out Ozil, Sokratis and Kola.

We got in one of the top young talents in the world.

Now let's push on in the 2nd half of the season.

Sitting in ninth with the three teams behind us having a game in hand. This is a good January?

P7 W4 D2 L1 F12 A2

Yeah that's a pretty good January.

Here's hoping we have a similar February.

He’s either trolling or doesn’t understand the difference between a season and a month.

Who cares about a month. Next you’ll be defining a week or a day. We are going to finish outside Europe this season which means we fall even further as a club. Like I give an ef how the month of January went.

You cared about a month 10 weeks ago when you were posting how we hadn’t scored a goal in open play in 431 mins( it was actually longer than that but facts are not your strong suit)
We have scored 6 in open play in these last 5 games
But because it doesn’t suit your agenda these 5 games carry no importance?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Özim wrote:Man U haven’t won a game against the big 6 and have scored 1 goal in the 6-1 defeat to Spurs.

That’s what happens when you have an average manager.

As for us, yes it’s an improvement, still a long long way where I expect us to be, our league position is still poor and with 3 teams with games in hand could be worse.

No chance of top 4, EL is where it’s at for us.

3 against Liverpool last week
3 in two games v PSG
Every chance of finishing in the top 3
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:23 pm

Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Mitch wrote:That point topped off a good January.

Unbeaten in the league, 11 points out of 15, 4 points against Soton and United, 2nd best defence in the league.

We shipped out Ozil, Sokratis and Kola.

We got in one of the top young talents in the world.

Now let's push on in the 2nd half of the season.

Sitting in ninth with the three teams behind us having a game in hand. This is a good January?

P7 W4 D2 L1 F12 A2

Yeah that's a pretty good January.

Here's hoping we have a similar February.

Not gonna shit on the parade, winning 4 from 7 is not an amazing return, but it is so much better than we were and, the performances themselves seem to have turned a corner. We managed to stop Man U from scoring so that's a pretty decent barometer for where we are seemingly now versus where we were at Christmas.

Got to give credit to the manager who has turned it around, still has a long way to go before I get "satisfied" with him being manager but, if he keeps this change of form going then he will have a chance.

If you win 4 from 7 consistently throughout the season that’s comfortably top 4 form buddy...

20+ wins and 10 draws over a season would have you very high up there.

We have taken 11 points from the last 15 available points
That has won the title in 6of the last 23 years
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:25 pm

Santi wrote:
Angelito wrote:'Twas a joke when some folks mentioned that the squad was poor.

Wenger had poorer squads in 11/12 and 12/13 and comfortably finished in top-4 places. Also, a better squad than our squads from 16/17 and 17/18.

Okay and how about the other squads in the league mate? Spurs in those years to now? Scouse in those years to now?

Also debatable anyway, it’s about quality over a 38 game season and I think those other squads had much more consistency. Could be partly a managers fault but it’s happened for the last 3 managers with these players.

Well, duh. Of course. Wenger really isn't the awful manager some people make him out to be. ;)

Context though. We were still repaying the debt during those years. You had three world class squads/teams at that time in City, Chelsea, and United. There's the TV money boom today, which didn't exist back then (earlier part of last decade).

We have a better squad today than we did when Wenger left. We've also spent nearly £250m since. I don't buy that the squad isn't good enough. When we were 15th, we had some people defend Arteta and point at the abysmal state of the squad. Sure, it's not a title-winning one. With a manager like Klopp or Simeone, I could see this same squad challenging for fourth. As it is, it's good enough to be in the top-6.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:20 pm

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:Man U haven’t won a game against the big 6 and have scored 1 goal in the 6-1 defeat to Spurs.

That’s what happens when you have an average manager.

As for us, yes it’s an improvement, still a long long way where I expect us to be, our league position is still poor and with 3 teams with games in hand could be worse.

No chance of top 4, EL is where it’s at for us.

3 against Liverpool last week
3 in two games v PSG
Every chance of finishing in the top 3

I meant in the league
PSG were managed but that awful manager Tuchel, is it any wonder, even then they didn’t qualify from their group
We’ll see but that more down to the players he has, Fernandes basically changed their fortunes last season despite OGS, he’s an amazing talent.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:40 pm

I've been keeping an eye on Chelsea since Tuchel's arrivial.

.............we've missed out again, this guy is a winner.

I honestly think we may end up regretting this, he's 4x the manager Arteta is, you can tell he's CL calibre.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:59 pm

Suddenly Tuchel becomes an awful manager? Only few weeks ago you people were clamouring for him and Nagelsman every day? Like anybody but Arteta would take this bunch top of the league?
It is called transition, team building. Things don't fall from the sky. Takes trial and error to do it. Previously the likes of SAF had 5 yrs to do it, now in digital age you've got just an year if you're lucky. So I say give him at least this season before asking for his head. Things aren't that bad really. Still have 17 games in PL and the EU. If we get on a run , we could still make the CL, and that's not a joke. None of the teams have shown great form or are unbeatable this season.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:49 pm

Mitch wrote:People are saying Artete's man management is bad but then suggest we should have gone for Tuchel. A guy that falls out with everyone. It just doesn't make sense.

It does when your agenda is anyone but Arteta.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:54 pm

ag6789 wrote:Suddenly Tuchel becomes an awful manager? Only few weeks ago you people were clamouring for him and Nagelsman every day? Like anybody but Arteta would take this bunch top of the league?
It is called transition, team building. Things don't fall from the sky. Takes trial and error to do it. Previously the likes of SAF had 5 yrs to do it, now in digital age you've got just an year if you're lucky. So I say give him at least this season before asking for his head. Things aren't that bad really. Still have 17 games in PL and the EU. If we get on a run , we could still make the CL, and that's not a joke. None of the teams have shown great form or are unbeatable this season.

To be fair to ozim as far back as last March he was saying that he did not rate tuchel
starmandb

Postby LMAO » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:16 pm

Wenger had poorer squads in 11/12 and 12/13 and comfortably finished in top-4 places. Also, a better squad than our squads from 16/17 and 17/18.

Except the squad is largely poor. As I've said a million times, on talent alone, the best XI (yes, even Xhaka) is top 4 worthy, but I don't believe a lot of the backups are talented enough to make Arsenal a top team. However, the biggest standout to me is that consistency throughout the squad is abysmal. Taking a gander at the Bellerin, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Xhaka, Cedric, Holding, Leno, Pepe, Luiz, AMN, Elneny, Ceballos, and other threads is enough to back up my point.

The consistency issue makes for a poor squad. Though, it's not happening solely under Arteta. It also happened during Wenger and Emery's tenures. Maybe none of the coaches have been good enough, but at some point, we've also got to start pointing fingers at the players. The coaches can only do so much once the ball is kicked; the players need to bear a lot of the responsibility to perform week in, week out.

Also, top 4 was easier to achieve during Wenger's era. There's a lot more competition nowadays because the level of the entire league has been elevated—from players to coaches—especially since the influx of money from the most recent TV deal.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:20 pm

Mitch wrote:People are saying Artete's man management is bad but then suggest we should have gone for Tuchel. A guy that falls out with everyone. It just doesn't make sense.

Well I'm somewhere in the middle.

I've stuck up for Arteta's man management but I still think Tuchel is a clear top level manager also players from PSG sent him a thank you message after he was fired so he can't be that bad.

What manager doesn't fall out with players anyway? you have a squad of 24+ players and you have to bench half of them .......... of course some players won't be happy.

Regardless I doubt Tuchel would of come here anyway, our board isn't ambitious enough for a manager of that level.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Mitch wrote:
Santi wrote:

Okay and how about the other squads in the league mate? Spurs in those years to now? Scouse in those years to now?

Also debatable anyway, it’s about quality over a 38 game season and I think those other squads had much more consistency. Could be partly a managers fault but it’s happened for the last 3 managers with these players.

The premier league has improved since the Wenger days. It's now harder to get into the top 4.

The sheer amount of money pumped into the league means smaller teams have improved in quality, they're signing better players etc so no game is easy now. I mean even the top four isn't given anymore whereas previously it was the same four teams getting champions league.

On top of that, Pep and Klopp have come in and taken the league to the next level. So yeah it's much harder.

You telling me United are better under Ole than Fergie? Or Chelsea are better under Lampard than mourinho? What about teams like Newcastle and Blackburn? Liverpool with Rafa won the CL. Their squad had Torres, Masherano, Gerard and Lampard as it’s spine at one point in time. The league is no more competitive than it every was.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:41 pm

TIL Lampard played for and won the CL with Liverpool.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:18 pm

Well quite, I don't quite get the Tuchel calls either, would prefer Arteta.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:25 pm

LMAO wrote:TIL Lampard played for and won the CL with Liverpool.

Yes!

Perhaps he snuck up there and did it when no-one was looking.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk