Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Callum wrote:On the flipside, our win against West Ham looks even better after they battered Leicester and drew with City and Spurs.

:dontknow:

Yep. Flipside to everything.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CaptGooner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:24 pm

Callum wrote:On the flipside, our win against West Ham looks even better after they battered Leicester and drew with City and Spurs.

Stop with the positivity - not allowed here.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gooney » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Özim wrote:West Ham draw with City, puts our toothless display into perspective, City have been hopelessly out of form this season and yet they beat us comfortably.

we dont have the players to do that apperantly. Give Arteta west hams team and you will see him actually attack teams lool. Im just saying what Callum would say
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:38 pm

gooney wrote:
Özim wrote:West Ham draw with City, puts our toothless display into perspective, City have been hopelessly out of form this season and yet they beat us comfortably.

we dont have the players to do that apperantly. Give Arteta west hams team and you will see him actually attack teams lool. Im just saying what Callum would say

Yes, that's exactly it.

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:16 pm

We are over cautious and the team are fkin hopeless most of the game, they don't take enough shots.

We get away with it because of Auba or if they're really up against it and get desperate, Rapid Wien was a prime example.

Every one of them bar Auba and CM's are c*nts tbf, like literally, why are they so thick to not understand you need to shoot to test the keeper, test the defence, cause chaos with deflected balls etc.

We just pass side ways, backwards and again waiting for one of our players to have enough balls to do anything.

We've had this problem for years.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:16 pm

Not really, we were a bit lucky, West Ham were the better side overall.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby VCC » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:37 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:We are over cautious and the team are fkin hopeless most of the game, they don't take enough shots.

We get away with it because of Auba or if they're really up against it and get desperate, Rapid Wien was a prime example.

Every one of them bar Auba and CM's are c*nts tbf, like literally, why are they so thick to not understand you need to shoot to test the keeper, test the defence, cause chaos with deflected balls etc.

We just pass side ways, backwards and again waiting for one of our players to have enough balls to do anything.

We've had this problem for years.

It's been drilled out of them for years.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Rayyo wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Rayyo wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Rayyo wrote:there's a clear difference to emery.

there's more structure, a better system and we look more robust.

as mentioned earlier this time last year we were regularly facing 20+ shots on our goal against opposition. we aren't getting carved open every 2 minutes now.

even in the unbeaten run under emery it didnt feel convincing but under arteta i feel more convinced and see signs of promise.

and the assertion that we were playing beautiful, attacking football in wengers last few years isn't true. we stopped playing good football years ago.

Nobody can deny we are better defensively but how can you say we have a better system? Its just as bad as it was before, it is not cohesive, poverty teams are out playing us, we still concede too many chances. We get carved open just as easily, simple balls over the top or simple balls through the middle of our non-existent midfield.

being better defensively proves we have a better system. we have the 2nd best defence in the league this season which means the system we have in place is more robust and compact.

under emery we were facing 20+ shots every game. it actually became a meme on twitter and it was embarrassing. now we are recognised for being more robust and even 'boring'. that's music to my ears. after a decade of embarrassing defensive performances ill happily take a period of being 'boring' until he brings in the attacking players he wants. but then again i craved for a simeone or conte type manager, so if you wanted a pep, i can see why you would find this frustrating.

nevertheless give the man time. im confident things will be different after next summers transfer window when we have 600k off the wage bill + plenty of room to re-engineer the squad.

No it doesn't, it means we have a better defense - BUT at the expense of the attack which is now worse.

So like I said we do not have a better system if offensively we are now worse.

completely disagree. last season you could have put prime maldini in that defence and he would have looked like titus bramble because he would have been left exposed. so we have a better system and structure in place.

what arteta needs to do now is make the attack tick, but to do that he needs to bring in the attacking players he wants.

If you can't see how improving the defence but weakening the attack does NOT mean we have a better system, I don't know what to say. Seriously.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

True dat
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Knives are starting to come out already lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby starmandb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:43 pm

West Ham were at home
We beat West Ham
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:52 pm

Nuggets wrote:Knives are starting to come out already lol

This for me is actually the first test of his mangerial character.

The first part he did very well but he was forced into an idea, which I saw was a good sign that even though not the fancy football a lot here like ......... it was necessary for the squad he had and he made it work so all was good.

Now he has a decision to make because he's chasing a new style of play, does he realise we just don't have the CAM's but keeps making us play the dross possession football we did against Rapid or does he realise we don't have the midfield creativity of penetration for that?

If he chooses the 2nd option I'll be very annoyed because whoever saw that performance, put a better team on the other end and we would of got a hiding.

Leicester will be a good test, lets see how he responds.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:53 pm

starmandb wrote:

West Ham were at home
We beat West Ham

Doesn’t matter, there’s no fans, home and away is the same pretty much.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:43 am

I think you just need to ask yourself if Arteta has earned himself time, and if you think he's aware and capable of making the changes we need. I think the answer to the first question is an emphatic yes, and whilst the second question might not be as clearcut, I've little worries at this point. We need to improve going forward but Arteta has frequently acknowledged this and I believe he's tactically capable of getting us playing more creative and attacking football.

Again, we've had 7 wins from 9 since we won the FA Cup. I know it's not been pretty but what he's done to this team so far has led to us being far more capable of grinding out results than Emery and later era Wenger. I recognize that we need to improve and we'll start dropping more points if we don't, but I don't quite understand why there's so much fatalism around here at the moment.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:03 am

Great watch, this:

Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk