Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 am

Best case scenario is to lose all remaining matches and tank the season completely - then we need to bring in an experienced, passionate, discipline- and effort-based manager. Not this hipster tactician archetype that somewhere along the line got attached to arsenal. We need someone who can instill CARE into our players. We need someone who can remind players that their roles and performances actually have meaning to people all over the world. That the modern footballer actually has a purpose beyond himself. We need someone who can bridge the gap between player and fan - the latter as the only reason why the former is able to enjoy life the way he does (and slack off the way he does).

If we must drop leagues so be it. This club must remember the point of association football, which is the reciprocal exchange of SUPPORT for EFFORT. For the moment we remain not much more than a multinational business, modelling agency, and parking-bay for inbetweener professionals.

Arteta and anybody like him out
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:02 am

Goonerfromafrica wrote:Best case scenario is to lose all remaining matches and tank the season completely - then we need to bring in an experienced, passionate, discipline- and effort-based manager. Not this hipster tactician archetype that somewhere along the line got attached to arsenal. We need someone who can instill CARE into our players. We need someone who can remind players that their roles and performances actually have meaning to people all over the world. That the modern footballer actually has a purpose beyond himself. We need someone who can bridge the gap between player and fan - the latter as the only reason why the former is able to enjoy life the way he does (and slack off the way he does).

If we must drop leagues so be it. This club must remember the point of association football, which is the reciprocal exchange of SUPPORT for EFFORT. For the moment we remain not much more than a multinational business, modelling agency, and parking-bay for inbetweener professionals.

Arteta and anybody like him out

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Sums it up nicley.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:47 am

https://arseblog.com/2021/04/arsenal-1- ... hed-again/

Earlier this season Arsenal couldn’t create chances. Now we can’t take chances. At some point you have to acknowledge that’s not necessarily an improvement, it’s just a different kind of problem.

If your glass is in any way half-full this morning, you’ll point to the fact that Bukayo Saka should have put us ahead in the first half; that Alexandre Lacazette’s abysmal miss in the second half ought to have calmed the nerves; and that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang probably should have done better with an opportunity when he was belatedly introduced. Not to mention we did actually get ourselves ahead – although I think enjoyment of finally scoring wiped out the memory of a glorious Slavia chance just a few minutes before, but thankfully the player shanked his shot wide after we were in all kinds of trouble.

I’m not sure too many glasses will be half-full though, after what was a really poor night for the team and Mikel Arteta. Starting Lacazette rather than Aubameyang felt more like punishment than picking the right player for the game. Nobody can say he’s been in good form, but Lacazette was just as bad against Liverpool, and at least the captain had the ‘excuse’ of not playing in his best position. Against a team which plays such a high line, something we tried to expose as much as possible too, it didn’t make much sense.

I suppose the absence of Martin Odegaard might have fed into the decision to start Willian, but I no longer have anything new to say about him or his continued inclusion in the team. Neither he or Lacazette can play football at the pace it needs to be played these days if you want to be good. If you want a leaden footed veteran he ticks all the boxes, but beyond that it’s hard to see what he contributes. Or, indeed, what Arteta thinks he can contribute.

Gabriel Martinelli may not yet be the fully rounded player he’ll become, but at least he can run. His legs are working. Similarly, Nicolas Pepe demonstrated the usefulness of being able to move at pace with his goal. It was a nice pass from Aubameyang, but the warp-speed run and brilliant finish were too much for Slavia to cope with. Game state may have played a part but bringing on players with functioning legs made us more effective. Before that, beyond that mistake which allowed Lacazette to amble through on goal, they’d had little to worry about.

That miss though. Oh boy. Not only was it like watching the human equivalent of paint drying as he made his way towards their box, almost getting caught by a lumbering defender, I just never felt like he was going to score. I’d have put money on Theo Walcott finishing that; I wouldn’t have put someone else’s on Lacazette. It was an appalling miss, poor technique, and it happened in the 62nd minute. He was then given a further 15 minutes to do nothing, apart from miss another good chance at the back post because he couldn’t sort his feet out.

Whatever about selecting those players in the first place, leaving them on for so long only compounded the problem. Martinelli came on for his elderly compatriot, and eventually a triple sub saw Arteta introduce Aubameyang, Pepe and Elneny (replacing Thomas Partey who was just as bad as Willian and Lacazette). This was the 78th minute, in the home-leg of a European tie we needed to win. Arteta has his flaws, no doubt about it, but the most obvious one is substitutions and in-game management. It’s not something that appears to be improving. I mean, you could argue that two of those subs combined to put us ahead on the night, but what if they’d been on earlier? That one goal might have been two and given us control of the game.

As for their equaliser, that whole passage of play made me sick. I advocated for Saka to play at left-back, and the cost of playing a right footed player there was obvious when Cedric, with all the space in the world to drive on and play the ball up the line, chickened out and played a pass back to Gabriel. The Brazilian’s touch wasn’t good, but he shouldn’t have been given the ball in the first place. From there they got a throw, forced Leno into a good save, and from the resulting corner Cedric’s defending is pathetic and there’s nothing the keeper can do about a point blank header.

IN THE 4TH MINUTE OF INJURY TIME AT HOME.

Look, whether Cedric is right footed or not, the position you’re in on the pitch, the position we were in in the game, and the position of left-back itself demands you go forward. Ease the pressure by getting the ball away from your final third.

Our ability to hit the self-destruct button is now so masterful we have added layers to it. Subtleties that others simply can’t see. It’s so refined we push it and a few passages of play later it goes off. In seriousness though, 1-0 would have been ok. Not great but a lead to take into the second leg. 1-1 is terrible, because they now have an away goal.

It’s not a down and out situation. Win in Prague and we go through, but the way we continue to make life as difficult for ourselves as possible is hard to stomach. It can’t keep happening, and when a significant part of it is down the manager because of his team selection and his refusal to change things when it was absolutely necessary, you have to worry about where we’re going.

I think as a team we’ve been worse in other games this season than we were last night, but I don’t think a result and performance has ever felt more Arteta than this one. I’ve been trying to see the positives – and I don’t dismiss that there have been some – but last night really dented my view on the work he’s doing. Whenever he speaks, I hear an intelligent man who says the right things most of the time, but I can no longer understand many of his decisions.

If we can all see Willian is a busted flush, what is it – beyond some kind of hubris and a desire to be proven right about signing him – that sees him picked? Why, if you have technical players behind a striker against a team playing a high line with makeshift central defenders, do you play the most immobile, sluggish striker we’ve had in years (and I include Olivier Giroud in that)? Does making changes earlier force Arteta to acknowledge he got it wrong with his team selection in the first place, and that’s a point of pride? Why, when you see an opposition goalkeeper who looks he’s struggling to come to terms with the concept of kicking a football, didn’t we put him under more pressure when he had it at his feet? Like I said, I don’t understand.

We now face Sheffield United on Sunday; we’re likely to be without Odegaard for a couple of games because we played him against Liverpool when we knew he had an ankle injury (another lesson we keep not learning); and have it all to do in the second leg next week. What’s left of our season depends on that game, and that game alone, and Arteta needs to get it as right next Thursday as he got this one wrong.

Arsecast coming later on today, because of the late kick-off and all the post-game stuff, there was no time to record last night, but we’ll have something for you around lunchtime (not an Arsecast Extra btw).

Until then.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:24 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Jack The Ripper wrote:This guy is just standing there staring into space and not making subs, waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, what is he waiting for? we were playing crap and the game was just fizzling out at 0-0, and its our home game! we have to win and go for it, has Arteta not seen Prague's home form? they have not lost a single game at home, no one has beat them at home, not even Champions League teams!!!!

But oh no Arteta is just staring into space and doesn't make subs until 78 minutes, meanwhile by that time Sparta had already made 4 subs!!!!. Unbelievable.

I'm sorry but Arteta is a novice and is not up to the job. He is a nice guy, I'm certain he is a solid and nice guy, but for me he is learning on the job and not taking us anywhere but downwards.

Pride. He got the starting line up wrong and was reluctant to admit it was wrong. Slavia were way more open at the back in the second half because they were desperate for that away goal but Arteta froze. The conditions were ideal for pace and he just took too long to make the subs. We finally get the goal but bad defending and decision making cost us again. Cedric needs a slap but again, Arteta deciding to get rid our backup LB's.

Nah. We created clear chances. Saka and Laca should have scored way before the subs.
We should have been 2-0 up and cruising.

We should have been cruising to victory having played the game in 1st gear.

Missing chances are part and parcel if football, the manager still needs to react, he can't come off the pitch arguing we should've scored. We DIDN'T score, what did you do about it ?!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:27 am

Özim wrote:The results this season have been really dreadful, the amount of defeats, poor performances and bad runs is ridiculous.

This club couldn’t have got it more wrong appointing this guy, he really is an awful manager.

You would think that over the season you would see an improvement, but we are as bad now as we were in November. Has Arteta learned nothing??? Ffs. Why would anyone want to give him another season???
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:34 am

Every team misses chances, the problem for us is we don’t create many thanks to Arteta.

At the end of the day even with missed chances we
should have been able to win last night, we didn’t as is the case so often this season.

Some prefer to blame the players, in the end though it’s the manager in charge and he’s the one picking the wrong players, wrong tactics and making poor subs.

He’s also the one that can’t motivate the team. There’s just so much wrong with this guy. I don’t get why people still support him, he’s been probably worse than any of us could have imagined.

If someone had asked the fans before the seasons if they thought that the position we find ourselves is is good enough and the manager deserves more time if we’re in this position, pretty sure most would have said no.

This is worse than anything Emery did.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:39 am

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:The results this season have been really dreadful, the amount of defeats, poor performances and bad runs is ridiculous.

This club couldn’t have got it more wrong appointing this guy, he really is an awful manager.

You would think that over the season you would see an improvement, but we are as bad now as we were in November. Has Arteta learned nothing??? Ffs. Why would anyone want to give him another season???

There is no improvement, earlier in the season people were pointing to a better defence, now the defence is as bad as ever conceding goals left right and center, the attack is also still average and the results woeful.

I think we need to go in a new direction with a proven manager because this isn’t working. I don’t even believe Arteta will be a decent manager later on down the line, I think he’ll be a manager who goes from club to club getting sacked until he finally doesn’t get any more job offers, he might get the odd spell of reasonable success at one club but that will be an anomaly.

I don’t see the point in waiting, come the summer he should be replaced, if he isn’t we’ll just be wasting yet another year, getting us back to where we want to be will take some time, but the sooner we start the sooner we’ll get there.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Rockape » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:49 am

It’s becoming a simple decision for the fan base now. Win the EL, which is looking increasingly unlikely and keep the job until next season.....or lose in the next game and bugger off and get someone else in ASAP. Anything else just extends the process.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Paddy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:50 am

He's out of his depth. If we lose to Slavia surely he'll get the boot? 10th and no European football does not warrant a further season.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:01 am

Rockape wrote:It’s becoming a simple decision for the fan base now. Win the EL, which is looking increasingly unlikely and keep the job until next season.....or lose in the next game and bugger off and get someone else in ASAP. Anything else just extends the process.

I wish it was something determined by the fans. We're usually the last to know when a manager is on the verge of being sacked but it doesn't feel like Arteta is under any sort of pressure from KSE. I haven't heard anything about Josh coming to London to talk to anyone, no statements from Vinai or anyone about the poor results...nothing. That's what's really worrying.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:58 am

Arteta continues with players that are simply not good enough, whilst screwing around with the careers of players that are both good enough and actually should be part of our future by limiting their game time.
By now he should have already created a core of the team.

Saka
ESR
Martinelli
Tierney

4 players who should be playing every single game unless they are injured.
Their places should not be up for debate, rotation or discussion unless they have serious drops in form over prolonged periods.
The rest of the team should be built around them - and that means building up the team with NEW players.

Despite Partey looking bang average this season, he might be another who has a better season next year given a first year of settling in.

The priorities for the summer to start the rebuild should be a striker and a CB. Perhaps Saliba can come back as he looks excellent, BUT I doubt he will want to lay for Arteta.

Until Arteta accepts the rest of the players are simply not good enough and gets to work on a major overhaul, we're going nowhere - except perhaps the bottom half of the table.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby KG3 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:19 am

jayramfootball wrote:Arteta continues with players that are simply not good enough, whilst screwing around with the careers of players that are both good enough and actually should be part of our future by limiting their game time.

Saka
ESR
Martinelli
Tierney

Their places should not be up for debate, rotation or discussion unless they have serious drops in form over prolonged periods.

The rest of the team should be built around them - and that means building up the team with NEW players.

Despite Partey looking bang average this season, he might be another who has a better season next year given a first year of settling in.

The priorities for the summer to start the rebuild should be a striker and a CB. Perhaps Saliba can come back as he looks excellent, BUT I doubt he will want to lay for Arteta.

Until Arteta accepts the rest of the players are simply not good enough and gets to work on a major overhaul, we're going nowhere - except perhaps the bottom half of the table.

You had a good point going until you contradicted yourself, every ones of those players aside from Martinelli start every game when fit

Neslon, Martinelli, Balogun and Guendouzi/Saliba even though they’re on loan would have been better examples, but I understand where you’re coming from
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:10 am

KG3 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Arteta continues with players that are simply not good enough, whilst screwing around with the careers of players that are both good enough and actually should be part of our future by limiting their game time.

Saka
ESR
Martinelli
Tierney

You had a good point going until you contradicted yourself, every ones of those players aside from Martinelli start every game when fit

Neslon, Martinelli, Balogun and Guendouzi/Saliba even though they’re on loan would have been better examples, but I understand where you’re coming from

Tierney starts when fit.
Saka does not always, neither does ESR and, of course, Martinelli does not.
Did you realise that ESR has played the equivalent of just 11 matches in the PL this year, for example. Since he broke in, he's started 12 and been on the bench for 4, injured for 5.
Saka has started 24 of our 30 PL games and been on the bench 4 times, injured for 1 and not in the squad for 1.

When I say start every game, i mean start every game and in their best position.
The team should be built around them.

I am not a big fan of nelson or Balogun, but I actually do think they should have been given time over some of the other players that are underdelivering and need to go.

Guendouzi and Saliba should have never been loaned out. They should have been given the opportunity to really establish themselves.
I think Guendouzi almost had until he met Arteta's wrath. Very good player.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:19 pm

Özim wrote:Every team misses chances, the problem for us is we don’t create many thanks to Arteta.

At the end of the day even with missed chances we
should have been able to win last night, we didn’t as is the case so often this season.

Some prefer to blame the players, in the end though it’s the manager in charge and he’s the one picking the wrong players, wrong tactics and making poor subs.

He’s also the one that can’t motivate the team. There’s just so much wrong with this guy. I don’t get why people still support him, he’s been probably worse than any of us could have imagined.

If someone had asked the fans before the seasons if they thought that the position we find ourselves is is good enough and the manager deserves more time if we’re in this position, pretty sure most would have said no.

This is worse than anything Emery did.

This for me is the biggest failing for a novice. Emery couldn't motivate players towards the end, so with Arteta I at least expected a new manager bounce. An ex-player who knows half the squad should have lifted the mood and at least had us playing more freely. Instead we became way more defensive, and the goals dried up.

Ancelotti, Mourinho, Tuchel, these guys come in and immediately lift the team's league position. Meanwhile, outside of the FA Cup, we just kept going backwards.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby PairyGrows » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 pm

To me, the case against Arteta is now stronger than the case in his favour. This is his first professional managerial job, and his so-called "process" is failing badly. Saying that he should get time and money presupposes that he's going to come good, which seems to be based on little evidence.

Should we trust a manager on blind faith to rescue our club when he's a complete wild card? I don't think we should.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk