Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:48 am

Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Why Have Arsenal Allowed Their Standards To Slip So Drastically Under Mikel Arteta?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/grahamruth ... cfbaf358a5

The author of the article is an idiot. How is he going to say there is a lack of alarm at Arsenal, from the hierarchy and the fans and then saying Spurs are still in various competitions and there is more noise there. Nonsense. What more noise is there? The Spurs hierachy have said f**k all, Spurs fans are no more vocal than us, we moan more than they do!! They are used to not winning shit!

There are no fans at stadiums either, so how does this eejut know what the fans are saying!!

Eh?

Mou is already feeling the heat. The media have been more vocal about him than Arteta. He's also started throwing players under the bus and when that happens under Mou, it's usually curtains for him.

Unlike at Arsenal, Spurs need to dish out £30m if they were to sack Mourinho. Otherwise, I feel Levy would have absolutely pulled the trigger.

You also have to recall that Spurs are a media darling. As you might have noticed, the whole hullabaloo about a power shift in North London has died down even when they're ahead of us in the table.

Arsenal fans, meanwhile, have remained loyal towards Arteta. Media outlets don't criticize him and the general narrative, this far, has been about bigging up his accolades here rather than highlighting his underperformance.

Heck, at the start of the season, these media people were criticizing Pep. Some Citizens were calling for his head for the poor start.

Absurdity has been a theme for fans of various clubs as well as pundits and journalists this season.

Meanwhile, at Arsenal, there were murmurs of a new contract on the table for Arteta in the summer. There's no talk about his job ever being in jeopardy, with talks surmounting to Arteta receiving the biggest budget of any Arsenal manager in history this up-coming summer.

The tide is changing. Slowly but surely. Even if Arsenal honchos are more than pleased given Arteta's performance, the fans will turn on him if this calamity persists.

We have not heard a peep from the Spurs hierarchy Ang, so no body knows if he is under any pressure whatsoever from them !

The only pressure we can see is from the media and thats because a) sensationalism sells and b) Mourinho is one of the biiggest names in world football - that invites increased scrutiny by itself. Same with Pep, no way the hierachy were bothered by their start, its Pep and its Man City, of course he was going to get it right.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:49 am

Rockape wrote:
None of our fans are content to be mid table. Not a single one. But some of us have experienced it before, and know that it's just a matter of time before we are successful again. In the meantime it's pointless to continually moan.

Yep, and its fecking boring too! I love a good rant and moan occasionally, but this relentless dirge will just drive posters away.

Oh leave off !

Were it not for the people continually moaning as you so eloquently put it Wenger would still be the manager here !!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:53 am

While the manager is doing shit, he should be criticised for doing shit. If he does shit all season, guess what ?!! He should be criticised all season !

If you lot cannot accpet the criticism then you should support a club that a) doesn't hire muppets as manager and/or b) doesn't have long drawn out periods of shit performance.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:00 am

https://arseblog.com/2021/04/project-mayhem-arsenal/

In my view, Arsenal have under delivered compared to the talent available to them this season- which is not to say that I think this is an absolutely stellar cast of players but I think they are better than the 10th place arse groove they have carved out for themselves in the Premier League table. I would just urge anyone to revisit their pre-season predictions and I doubt many Arsenal fans would have predicted midtable anonymity in the afterglow of August’s FA Cup victory.

It is befitting of a surreal season that Arsenal currently stands a superior chance of qualifying for the Champions League than they do next season’s Europa League. I do think it is more difficult to assess Arteta’s tenure than the league table suggests- there was probably always a sense of Arsenal needing to take a step backwards to go forwards.

I must admit that I didn’t think it would be a step this far backwards- the question is whether you think Arteta can take the club forward and significantly so. There have been tangible signs of improvement since Christmas but when we talk about “improvement” on what the team were serving up before Christmas, we are setting the bar at about tripwire height.

Where you stand on Arteta calls upon your powers of foresight, not least because Arteta has no history as a manager for us to call upon. There are no fossils from his past that can act as an indicator for his future competence. If Jose Mourinho starts getting a bit snippy in press conferences, you know where the situation is headed. With Arteta we have only theory and guesswork.

Really, the absolute crux of the current job of Arsenal manager is to handle the imminently required rebuild of the squad. Last week, I detailed just how much work there is for the manager and the Technical Director to do. On an executive level, Arsenal are very young (which isn’t necessarily a criticism).

CEO Vinai Venkatesham is 40, Technical Director Edu Gaspar is 42, Mikel Arteta is 39 and Academy lead Per Mertesacker is 36. They are not all totally inexperienced, granted, but none have been entrusted with a wholesale rebuild of a club like Arsenal before. (Mertesacker is only tangentially involved in that process, in fairness). We are about to see what they are made of.

I have to say, I don’t think the signs are hugely encouraging to this point. I think Vinai showed some inexperience with the hasty decision to “promote” Arteta from Head Coach to Manager last summer. I think he allowed the good vibes of the FA Cup victory to cloud his thinking and I can’t really understand why this was seen as such a necessary move.

Arsenal have to make many big decisions on players this summer and to tout others in a depressed market. Some of the decisions taken by Edu and Arteta to this point make me nervous. Firstly, the decision to award Pierre Emerick Aubameyang a huge new contract but then to behave so reluctantly when it comes to fielding a team that plays to his strengths.

On the face of it, deciding not to renew the terms of someone like Aubameyang is a big, scary decision- the type of which the previous administration ducked time and again, placing the club into dire straits squad building wise. The decision to pour big money into 29-year olds Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan and Özil, spending £100m on a pair of strikers that cannot play together, while also refusing to cash in on the likes of Sanchez and Ramsey placed Arsenal into a fiscal and footballing logjam.

However, a decision on a player like Aubameyang is actually a really clear and obvious one. Once you start discussing salaries of that size, the objective ought to be very clear. In salary terms, that is “we will build this whole team around you” money. If you do not think the player is worthy of that status, you do not put the money down. You don’t make a 31-year old your highest paid player and then ask him to play various roles in various systems, some of which play to his strengths more than others.

It’s actually much more difficult to decide on contracts for players like Xhaka, Leno and Bellerin, as I set out last week. When it comes to your absolute top earners, you either put up or shut up. That Arsenal elected for a halfway house of renewing the contract without a clear plan of what to do with the player bodes poorly for the summer.

Ken Early referred to that decision as one made out of “status anxiety” on a recent episode of the Second Captains podcast and that’s especially worrying given the amount of times that Arsenal have made that mistake recently. Likewise, the decision to take Willian on a free transfer this summer represents a huge mark against Arteta and Edu.

Willian started the season almost exclusively on the right flank. Having witnessed the damage of purchasing a pair of expensive strikers who cannot play in the same team, Arsenal elected to make exactly the same error by signing Willian up when they already had record signing Nicolas Pepe in the same position. That’s four of Arsenal’s highest paid players playing in two positions, more or less.

The Brazilian has played more on the left recently and, in fairness, Arteta pointed to the player’s versatility as one of the main attractions in signing him. However, even now he is trusted only fitfully. That he too has been asked to play different roles in different systems illustrates pretty clearly that Arteta and Edu didn’t have a clear plan for a player they were willing to award a hefty contract.

That’s two of Arsenal’s most highly paid players and there was either no concrete plan for how to use them, or else the plan collapsed almost instantly. It doesn’t augur well. Add to that the decision to offer Shkodran Mustafi a new contract in October which the player rejected. I will just let that one rattle around in your cranium for a few seconds.

The charge sheet grows larger when you look at the rushed, ill-considered signing of Rúnar Rúnarsson because the goalkeeping coach knew his phone number. One can’t fail to be concerned by the handling of William Saliba too. Then there is Eddie Nketiah, whose value peaked nicely in the winter when he finished top scorer for the club in the Europa League group stages.

We are told there was interest from clubs in January before Arteta insisted the player, who has 18 months on his deal, was absolutely not for sale. He has not kicked a ball in anger for the first team ever since. This is a startlingly poor decision and now the player is losing value ahead of a likely summer sale having added nothing to the team in the meantime.

It is even more concerning that Edu did not push back on the manager’s faulty logic in this scenario. That suggests a reluctance to provide healthy challenge on his part. Admittedly, I don’t have all of the details there, so there may be something I am missing. I also realise I am being pithy and only highlighting the bad examples, there has been good work too (getting Ødegaard on loan, for example. Gabriel and Mari are good additions and offer a good analogue to one another).

However, Aubameyang, Willian, Mustafi, Nketiah and Rúnarsson is quite the charge sheet for eight months’ worth of work. There are caveats of course, with covid impacting the market and a to do list for Edu and Arteta longer than a Leonard Cohen song. However, neither of those factors are disappearing this summer and, frankly, both parties are going to have to demonstrate that they are quick learners because this squad rebuild will determine Arsenal’s medium-term future. Scared yet?

Follow me on Twitter @Stillberto– Or like my page on Facebook
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 am

Very good blog that, a reasoned and diluted version of any one of our various rants. The key being, it highlights every one of our arguments and proves they are very valid.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:07 pm

theHotHead wrote:Very good blog that, a reasoned and diluted version of any one of our various rants. The key being, it highlights every one of our arguments and proves they are very valid.

He didn’t even get to the shitty decisions surrounding the sale of Emi or the loans of Saliba and Guendozi or the mishandling of Ozil.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Why Have Arsenal Allowed Their Standards To Slip So Drastically Under Mikel Arteta?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/grahamruth ... cfbaf358a5

The author of the article is an idiot. How is he going to say there is a lack of alarm at Arsenal, from the hierarchy and the fans and then saying Spurs are still in various competitions and there is more noise there. Nonsense. What more noise is there? The Spurs hierachy have said f**k all, Spurs fans are no more vocal than us, we moan more than they do!! They are used to not winning shit!

There are no fans at stadiums either, so how does this eejut know what the fans are saying!!

Eh?

Mou is already feeling the heat. The media have been more vocal about him than Arteta. He's also started throwing players under the bus and when that happens under Mou, it's usually curtains for him.

Unlike at Arsenal, Spurs need to dish out £30m if they were to sack Mourinho. Otherwise, I feel Levy would have absolutely pulled the trigger.

You also have to recall that Spurs are a media darling. As you might have noticed, the whole hullabaloo about a power shift in North London has died down even when they're ahead of us in the table.

Arsenal fans, meanwhile, have remained loyal towards Arteta. Media outlets don't criticize him and the general narrative, this far, has been about bigging up his accolades here rather than highlighting his underperformance.

Heck, at the start of the season, these media people were criticizing Pep. Some Citizens were calling for his head for the poor start.

Absurdity has been a theme for fans of various clubs as well as pundits and journalists this season.

Meanwhile, at Arsenal, there were murmurs of a new contract on the table for Arteta in the summer. There's no talk about his job ever being in jeopardy, with talks surmounting to Arteta receiving the biggest budget of any Arsenal manager in history this up-coming summer.

The tide is changing. Slowly but surely. Even if Arsenal honchos are more than pleased given Arteta's performance, the fans will turn on him if this calamity persists.

We have not heard a peep from the Spurs hierarchy Ang, so no body knows if he is under any pressure whatsoever from them !

The only pressure we can see is from the media and thats because a) sensationalism sells and b) Mourinho is one of the biiggest names in world football - that invites increased scrutiny by itself. Same with Pep, no way the hierachy were bothered by their start, its Pep and its Man City, of course he was going to get it right.

The club never publicly speaks out against the manager though. It doesn't happen. What they do as a final act is offer a public vote of confidence, which works as an ultimatum. If the results don't improve after that, they sack the manager.

The media was all over Emery. After 18 months, there's still not much criticism against Arteta. Even back in 10/11, those folks always predicted Arsenal to fall out of the top-4 and by 15/16, they were blaming Wenger for everything wrong at Arsenal.

With Arteta, he's been mollycoddled by the press and pundits. Iirc, the only ex-player/pundit who's spoken against Arteta is Jens.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 pm

Yeah I agree with that, Arteta has been spared the media's hounding and agendas, wish he was held to account far more than he is, light a fire under his batty crease!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Could be the end
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:58 pm

What a clueless manager we are going to end up like Newcastle/Leeds at this rate, honestly so much talent at his disposal and he’s just wasting it.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 pm

Tbh how many sitters did we miss tonight ?

Saka, Laca, Auba ... We should have won this 3/4 - 0. We played horrifically but the players have to take some responsibility.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 pm

Has allegri been called yet?
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 pm

:lol:

That is all.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 pm

B-b-b-ut he dropped Aubameyang and the defense has improved, how did everything not fall into place?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Alexis » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Has allegri been called yet?

i would absolutely not mind this at all. football may not be great, but fuk he'll get the results at least
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk