Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Fran Solo » Wed May 25, 2022 3:47 am

Reiss wrote:
Santi wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Reiss wrote:We've had half our defence decimated for most of the season that's why we've conceded more goals than last season. So it puts to bed that argument.

If our manager was too stupid/naive/inexperienced to plan for injuries/absences then thats his problem and cannot be used as an excuse.

So NO - that doesn't put to bed the argument, it reinforces the point that Arteta was solely at fault for not planning correctly and/or for making bad decisions.

This

Our back up players are not good enough and that will be addressed this summer. We're in the market for a RB and LB apparently.

No-one could have predicted we'd rely on Tavares and Soares for half a season. We were very unfortunate.

Some people praised Arteta because he got rid off our players.
Then those people said that we failed to get top 4 because we didn't have enough squad players.

Some people also praised Arteta for not buying 'the wrong players' in January.
Then those people said that we don't have enough players for the run in.

Some people said that Arteta is brave and commendable for trusting young players.
Then those people said that we failed to get top 4 because those young players need experience to perform under pressure.

Some players said that we definitely need to buy 'the right players' in the next summer window.
I wonder if those same people will say that it will be hard to get 'the right players' because they all want to play in CL.

When will this circle ever end?

None of those things are mutually exclusive.

He got praise for getting rid of players but we could have kept someone like Chambers who would have come handy.

Exactly, acting as if everything is completely black and white…what century are we in? :think: :think:

I’d also like to know who ‘some people’ are because I for one can agree with half of those statements but pretty sure I’ve not then said the counter argument to them.

Trimming the squad on the whole has been good, a lot of shit is gone and bad apples out the club which is great. Was letting AMN go in Jan at a time when we had no midfield, rather than waiting til Partey was back, a good idea? No but I even said that at the time and I f***ing hate AMN because he’s shit.

In hindsight was letting chambers go for pennies worth it when we ended up with 4 defensive injuries? No but again said this over a week ago and apparently nobody who backs the manager admits the clubs mistakes….

People claim they want this place to get back to normal yet still throwing misplaced shade (don’t mean Fran).

Yep.

I've said letting AMN go was stupid.
I've said we should have kept Chambers.

So not sure where those things have come from.

And I completely agree with everything you said in your last sentence too.

You know what? I am actually glad that you and Santi acknowledged that some of the decisions like selling Chambers and loaning Maitland Niles were not exactly a good idea. Even jayram agreed with me about the mistake of not getting a striker in January.
Some people (in my real life, in social media, they're everywhere really) still believe that those decisions are great and literally refused to accept that the decisions have their own consequences.
"Oh, Aubameyang should have been gone earlier."
"Oh, Chambers is sh*t and he won't be missed" blah blah blah
...without wanting to accept the fact that these decisions might have cost us at the same time.

Youth policy. Ok.
Trimming our squad. Great.
Selling a fringe player like Chambers. Good.
But, with him gone (and some others because we have already lost Bellerin and AMN in the same window), we got less depth and failed to get CL and ultimately make it harder for us to attract his replacement.

The consequences of not getting top 4 will not end this season, but surely will effect our next season.
Arteta might have all the right reason and all the good intentions, but his strategy in doing that hasn't been the best.
You can say that this season is a success, but I personally think that the success (or the failure) we achieved this season is not clear yet. I need to see what will happen in the next few months to rate this.
One last thing that I can say is we are all in this together, regardless of our opinions.
If the club fail, we suffer.
If the club success, we cheers.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:46 am

Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:56 am

I'm on the island too. Send questions people, I might bump into him ;)

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:48 am

Est83 wrote:I'm on the island too. Send questions people, I might bump into him ;)

Go on the wooden Choo Choo train init

I loved Majorca when I went. Only very short visit though, I want to go back
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Rockape » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:12 pm

Est83 wrote:I'm on the island too. Send questions people, I might bump into him ;)

Whereabouts are you Est?
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:13 pm

UFGN wrote:

You should….it’s fabulous, 1hr 45 mins from Gatwick and if you choose the right times, as cheap as chips to get there. The north of the Island is my favorite place.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:29 pm

UFGN wrote:

I've seen the train :) the girlfriend wanted to go on it... "ironically"

You should mate, some parts are real special.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:44 pm

Est83 wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Let me tell you about people who do things “ironically“….. it’s a lie. They want to do it

I visited a mate a couple months ago and his one year old was watching Peppa Pig. Sat and watched a couple episodes, laughing about how embarrassingly shit it was with my mate

Here’s the thing…. when I got home I found the episode we didn’t finish watching because I wanted to see what happened at the end

And I don’t give a f**k who knows!!

Also, be veeeery careful if you listen to any music on Spotify “ironically”. Kinda hard explaining away how Agadoo ended up in your end of year playlist
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:51 pm

Rockape wrote:

Whereabouts are you Est?

Split up the holiday between Cala D'or and Palma.

Cala D'or has a beautiful Marina, rent a boat for the day and you can visit all the smaller remote Calas around the South East of the island. Warm turquoise waters, fish swimming by your ankles, paddle board through little caves... finish the day with fresh fish and sangria. The octopus is amazing here, langostine with sobrassada and honey is a particular favourite.

Palma, wow! It's in the top 5 food destinations in Europe at the moment, and as a chef, I can see why. Contemporary tapas and Asian fusion tapas to die for! Literally had the best meal of my life tonight, beats any of the Michelin meal I've had back in London.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:54 pm

Est83 wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Whereabouts are you Est?

Cala D'or has a beautiful Marina, rent a boat for the day and you can visit all the smaller remote Calas around the South East of the island. Warm turquoise waters, fish swimming by your ankles, paddle board through little caves... finish the day with fresh fish and sangria. The octopus is amazing here, langostine with sobrassada and honey is a particular favourite.

Palma, wow! It's in the top 5 food destinations in Europe at the moment, and as a chef, I can see why. Contemporary tapas and Asian fusion tapas to die for! Literally had the best meal of my life tonight, beats any of the Michelin meal I've had back in London.

There’s some great restaurants on Jersey if you ever go there. Lovely island.

UFGN

Postby Est83 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:58 pm

UFGN wrote:
Est83 wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Let me tell you about people who do things “ironically“….. it’s a lie. They want to do it

I visited a mate a couple months ago and his one year old was watching Peppa Pig. Sat and watched a couple episodes, laughing about how embarrassingly shit it was with my mate

Here’s the thing…. when I got home I found the episode we didn’t finish watching because I wanted to see what happened at the end

And I don’t give a f**k who knows!!

Also, be veeeery careful if you listen to any music on Spotify “ironically”. Kinda hard explaining away how Agadoo ended up in your end of year playlist

:lol: constantly 'shooshing' my son while he talks over Teen Titans. It's his program and all, so I don't really care ya know. I have no interest... none whatsoever :hiding:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:30 am

Don't mean to jump in your convo, but I'll tell you something, fall asleep in bed with the TV on, Cartoon Network, low volume, not sure if it happens to everyone but my dreams merge with the cartoons that are on, its like my subconscious self can hear everything - I end up having the wildest freakiest dreams where I am actually in the cartoon !!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:26 am

Ooh. I go to Majorca a lot lovely ain’t it? Where are you? I am on the Algarve at the moment in a little fishing place called Tavira. Really nice. Believe it or not I only got married 2 years ago( had an exceptionally long courtship this time… 12 years…. After getting married in a whirlwind first time around. So this is a wedding present from a couple we know who own a flat here. Only just been able to take up the offer post covid. Don’t know how much you need a holiday till you have one…
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Rockape » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:48 am

Est83 wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Whereabouts are you Est?

Sounds amazing…..two weeks tomorrow before I’m out there, can’t wait!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 am

starmandb wrote:

Ooh. I go to Majorca a lot lovely ain’t it? Where are you? I am on the Algarve at the moment in a little fishing place called Tavira. Really nice. Believe it or not I only got married 2 years ago( had an exceptionally long courtship this time… 12 years…. After getting married in a whirlwind first time around. So this is a wedding present from a couple we know who own a flat here. Only just been able to take up the offer post covid. Don’t know how much you need a holiday till you have one…

Check the post above mate, Cala D'or and Palma, my two favourite places. Unfortunately haven't got round to visiting the North East of the island yet, I've heard its stunning, will have to save that for next time.

Belated congrats for the wedding! Enjoy the hols! Glad you can finally celebrate with a proper honeymoon.

Fully appreciate the borderline desperation to get away, I actually went away not too long ago, but the girlfriend was insistent on going away again. Same issue, Covid blues had us feeling trapped!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk