Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:46 am

Özim wrote:
Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Dejan wrote:Cant wait for 5 years of 8th place then

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk

Obviously, the goal will be to improve every season.
Regardless, I will enjoy every single game.

2 years with arteta coming up.

There's been no improvement

Fair to say he's failed

Of course he’s failed, at any other top club he’d have been sacked by now, but not at unambitious Arsenal where mediocrity have become the norm and is now hailed as the best we can do and even success!

Even sadder is the acceptance of mediocrity by some of the so-called Arsenal fans.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby gamechannel » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:50 am

Jayramfootball- smoking the good stuff since f***ing forever.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Nuggets » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:51 am

gamechannel wrote:Jayramfootball- smoking the good stuff since f***ing forever.

He must have a good dealer :arse fan:
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:09 am

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Dejan wrote:Cant wait for 5 years of 8th place then

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk

Obviously, the goal will be to improve every season.
Regardless, I will enjoy every single game.

Did you enjoy the thrashing by City the other day? Or how about the low to Brentford?

You’re right, what fun we have to look forward to playing dreadful football, barely creating anything, watching Xhaka make mistakes every week, we should count ourselves lucky we get the pleasure of watching this rubbish!

I have enjoyed following the team, yes.

Build up to the games, seeing who is playing, watching the game. Even against City when we were basically out of the game I still liked watching what our players were doing, seeing how they would react individually... looking at players and their effort levels on the pitch. I like post-game chat. The horrible disappointment of losing gives way eventually to thinking about the next game and on it goes.

For home games it obviously gets even better... the whole build up, travel to the game, eating before the game, soaking up the atmosphere, watching the game with other fans around, listening to what people are shouting (sometimes funny), etc...

Winning is what we all want, but being a fan is about so much more than winning.
If you can't enjoy being a football supporter come rain or shine, it's not the sport for you.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:19 am

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:Accto Ornstein, Arteta isn't under any pressure. The club is fully behind him and it would take some dramatic downturn for the axe to fall.

This sounds ominous. I believe if he does finish in the top-10, he will continue as manager next season. Disaster at Arsenal is no longer finishing out of the top-4 or even being out of Europe completely.

I doubt they would pull the trigger unless we're like 17th come December. That won't happen no matter how badly we perform. At this stage, it appears that unless we're flirting with relegation, the club has no intention of sacking Arteta.

As long as we're not going backwards he should get 5 years to complete the transformation of the club.
He's 18 months into that and given the state we were in as a club, 5 years seems reasonable to me.
I said that he needed to get top 6, but that was before the club made clear their strategy to go with youth.
Better than 8th is progress this year.
Our eye should be on the future whilst at the same time avoiding serious problems as we build.

Honestly, what are you smoking? This is Arsenal football club, not some midtable nothing club, 8th should be a sackable offence, nevermind 8th twice, now you’re suggesting us being midtable is fine and Arteta should get 5 years regardless of how bad he is?

It’s a good thing you don’t own a company because you’d run it into the ground with thinking like that, every top club thinks about profess and success, they don’t think let’s spend 5 years in obscurity and buy kids and then hope we’ve got somewhere with a manager that so far has been absolutely shocking.

If 5 years sounds reasonable to you then I’m sorry but you’re but that’s delusional, it’s already been 17 years since our last title, we’ve been out of the CL for years now and haven’t really competed since the mid 2000s, it’s time for the club to pull its finger out and start challenging again.

You talk about the state of the club, but I’m sorry that’s nonsense that suits your agenda, a decent manager and a few decent top class signings and we’ll be right up there again, the point is we need someone who knows what they’re doing at the helm, not some notice with no experience who makes mistake after mistake.

Did you see Man U sit there and stay with Moyes when it didn’t work out after Ferguson, do you see any other top club just settling for a guy who have never performed for 5 years? No because if they’re not good enough they’re out on their ear after one season, that’s how top clubs operate and how they get back to being successful, not wasting 5 years on a nobody who is performing badly.

The fact is, Wenger left us with a good squad. All we needed was some defensive organisation and a couple of signings and we would have been right back in the mixer!
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:25 am

Hypergooner wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:Accto Ornstein, Arteta isn't under any pressure. The club is fully behind him and it would take some dramatic downturn for the axe to fall.

This sounds ominous. I believe if he does finish in the top-10, he will continue as manager next season. Disaster at Arsenal is no longer finishing out of the top-4 or even being out of Europe completely.

I doubt they would pull the trigger unless we're like 17th come December. That won't happen no matter how badly we perform. At this stage, it appears that unless we're flirting with relegation, the club has no intention of sacking Arteta.

As long as we're not going backwards he should get 5 years to complete the transformation of the club.
He's 18 months into that and given the state we were in as a club, 5 years seems reasonable to me.
I said that he needed to get top 6, but that was before the club made clear their strategy to go with youth.
Better than 8th is progress this year.
Our eye should be on the future whilst at the same time avoiding serious problems as we build.

Honestly, what are you smoking? This is Arsenal football club, not some midtable nothing club, 8th should be a sackable offence, nevermind 8th twice, now you’re suggesting us being midtable is fine and Arteta should get 5 years regardless of how bad he is?

It’s a good thing you don’t own a company because you’d run it into the ground with thinking like that, every top club thinks about profess and success, they don’t think let’s spend 5 years in obscurity and buy kids and then hope we’ve got somewhere with a manager that so far has been absolutely shocking.

If 5 years sounds reasonable to you then I’m sorry but you’re but that’s delusional, it’s already been 17 years since our last title, we’ve been out of the CL for years now and haven’t really competed since the mid 2000s, it’s time for the club to pull its finger out and start challenging again.

You talk about the state of the club, but I’m sorry that’s nonsense that suits your agenda, a decent manager and a few decent top class signings and we’ll be right up there again, the point is we need someone who knows what they’re doing at the helm, not some notice with no experience who makes mistake after mistake.

Did you see Man U sit there and stay with Moyes when it didn’t work out after Ferguson, do you see any other top club just settling for a guy who have never performed for 5 years? No because if they’re not good enough they’re out on their ear after one season, that’s how top clubs operate and how they get back to being successful, not wasting 5 years on a nobody who is performing badly.

The fact is, Wenger left us with a good squad. All we needed was some defensive organisation and a couple of signings and we would have been right back in the mixer!

This this this.

That is literally all we needed. Wenger put zero focus and emphasis on defending, all we needed Emery to do was to put a little on it and that 6th place could easily have been 4th place. Wholesale changes were not necessary.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:35 pm

I think he'll get sacked if we don't win the next two matches. Might even happen if we don't beat Norwich.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:04 pm

Jokes, on the Premier League website they have an Arsenal v Norwich head to head and it shows the stats so far for the season:

A few stats are exactly the same, but avg goals scored, us 0, them 0.33 :lol:
Chances created per match, us 0.33, them 0.67.

They also lead in the 3 top player stats, Goals - Pukki (1), Passes, Ben Gibson (170) then comes Billy Gilmour (164) then Xhaka (139). Tackles, first Todd Cantwell (11), then Max Aarons (8), then Pierre Lees-Melou (8).

I can't with any real confidence say I expect us to beat Norwich, I find myself at a loss as to how I can even have those thoughts, but, I just don't have any at all.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 pm

I just had a thought, perhaps Arteta is trying to equal to invincibles record in reverse and go all season without a win :arse fan:
Nuggets

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:09 pm

Nuggets wrote:I just had a thought, perhaps Arteta is trying to equal to invincibles record in reverse and go all season without a win :arse fan:

I can certainly see Arteta's season ending without a win.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:12 pm

Top performance first half, but late 2nd, we almost gave it away. Need to tighten up to win closely contested games .
Kane could have made 3-3.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:19 pm

I feel like we're finally seeing "his team" now. He'll live or die based on how they perform. Early signs are good.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:17 pm

He's going to win manager of the month isn't he?

Lol
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:32 pm

He might, with another couple of wins.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:34 pm