Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:51 am

Özim wrote:Hi
Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:Bigging up three kids two of whom are from the academy resigning is sad.

Three world class players signed up.
Massive positive for the club and Arteta certainly played a role in it.
If you are not excited about those 3 players committing their futures to the club then you really haven't got much interest in Arsenal.

You forgot Balogen. Another worldie in the making. Arteta really has no excuse now with all this world class talent. Top of the table by Christmas or out.

Don't worry he will find one.

Discussing the positives about our football club is not about finding excuses for Arteta.
At some point you will just have to accept that not all Arsenal fans want to constantly moan.

Some obviously do though.

And boy do they.

And some have some rose tinted glasses on.

And boy are they thick glasses.

They are not tinted either its a solid rose colour.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 am

DiamondGooner wrote:At the end of the day only one man can solve this and that is Arteta.

If he lets us play good football with a good style of play and game plan and we win games, every fan will be happy.

But if he continues his bumbling, bad tactics and not buying good players, when we lose its going to be all down to him and his management team.

He's been backed by Stan, he's got the players he's asking for, now he must come up with the goods.

No point moaning at people to support him, its up to him to prove himself.

If he fails it will be Ozil's fault no doubt.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:53 am

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:Hi
Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:Bigging up three kids two of whom are from the academy resigning is sad.

Three world class players signed up.
Massive positive for the club and Arteta certainly played a role in it.
If you are not excited about those 3 players committing their futures to the club then you really haven't got much interest in Arsenal.

You forgot Balogen. Another worldie in the making. Arteta really has no excuse now with all this world class talent. Top of the table by Christmas or out.

Don't worry he will find one.

Discussing the positives about our football club is not about finding excuses for Arteta.
At some point you will just have to accept that not all Arsenal fans want to constantly moan.

Some obviously do though.

And boy do they.

And some have some rose tinted glasses on.

And boy are they thick glasses.

They are not tinted either its a solid rose colour.

Nah, most fans can see the issues and the positives - to those intent on pretending everything is crap, it just seems like the majority are wearing rose-tinted glasses.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:55 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Rockape wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:At the end of the day only one man can solve this and that is Arteta.

If he lets us play good football with a good style of play and game plan and we win games, every fan will be happy.

But if he continues his bumbling, bad tactics and not buying good players, when we lose its going to be all down to him and his management team.

He's been backed by Stan, he's got the players he's asking for, now he must come up with the goods.

I agree.
Hopefully, the 'everything is totally sh*t' theme can stop until he's actually been given a chance to prove himself!

Has he not had the chance to prove himself then?

We're stuck with him, so we have to hope he comes good.

DG nails it, but Nuggets is right…..after all , how long does anyone need to prove themselves!

That is the big question, its like how long is a piece of string. :hiding:

Depends, I think.
Any repeat of the total collapse around Nov/Dec last year would be reason to conclude he has to go.
That run ruined our season.
Outside of that, if we're not in the top 6 and touching distance of top 4 at a minimum by Christmas then we should move on from Arteta.
But with no pre-reason and in the midst of Covid, no fans, impact on transfers, etc... concluding now for a rookie manager in his first 18 months would not be sensible, especially as there were clear signs in the last 5 months of the season that we are making pretty good progress.

No thats far too much of a long leash!! If by Christmas we are not comfortably in the top 6 he needs to go! Why should we wait for another collapse before we sack him?!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:58 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Rockape wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I agree.
Hopefully, the 'everything is totally sh*t' theme can stop until he's actually been given a chance to prove himself!

DG nails it, but Nuggets is right…..after all , how long does anyone need to prove themselves!

Depends, I think.
Any repeat of the total collapse around Nov/Dec last year would be reason to conclude he has to go.
Outside of that, if we're not in the top 6 and touching distance of top 4 at a minimum by Christmas then we should move on from Arteta.
But with no pre-reason and in the midst of Covid, no fans, impact on transfers, etc... concluding now for a rookie manager in his first 18 months would not be sensible, especially as there were clear signs in the last 5 months of the season that we are making pretty good progress.

No thats far too much of a long leash!! If by Christmas we are not comfortably in the top 6 he needs to go! Why should we wait for another collapse before we sack him?!!

If we're in the top 6 and within touching distance of the top 4, means the season is very much alive.
We can't control how well the other teams do in 7th, 8th, 9th.
In your scenario, we might be 2nd but only 3 or 4 points ahead of 7th - so sack him because we might collapse. That would be totally stupid.
Last year I think Chelsea were only 3 points from top 4 at Christmas, but they were 8th.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Rockape wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I agree.

Depends, I think.

I'd say end of october/start of november. We need to hit the ground running when the season starts.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:55 am

Tony Adams wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
Rockape wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I agree.

Depends, I think.

I'd say end of october/start of november. We need to hit the ground running when the season starts.

That's way too early.
If we're 8th at the end of October, it is not much of a problem unless we're adrift.
Last year 8th place was 2pts off top 4 and 4 pts off the top of the table.
Needs until Christmas - unless it's a complete disaster over the first couple months.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 am

Well, regardless of the exact details of how long he has left to prove himself, I am hoping the Club are already sounding out potential replacements for him. That would be good business management.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:37 am

Rockape wrote:Well, regardless of the exact details of how long he has left to prove himself, I am hoping the Club are already sounding out potential replacements for him. That would be good business management.

...if something like that leaks it's not good business management at all. It's destructive.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:17 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Rockape wrote:Well, regardless of the exact details of how long he has left to prove himself, I am hoping the Club are already sounding out potential replacements for him. That would be good business management.

...if something like that leaks it's not good business management at all. It's destructive.

It's business, they will surely have somebody lined up when / if they get rid of him.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:19 pm

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

It's business, they will surely have somebody lined up when / if they get rid of him.

You don't go out into the market for someone else's job, openly or covertly if you have someone in place that you are happy with.
Now if they HAVE decided he is in a last chance saloon, then yeah... but I don't think he's anywhere even close to that position with the board.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Goonerz » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 pm

I think people need to calm their skins down. Arteta is here for at least another half season. You’ve still got fans calling for him to be sacked before the season has even started.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Alas I think Jay is right on this, they have backed their manager thus far ..... but a piece of me says they have a contingency plan if it goes tits up.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:44 pm

Goonerz wrote:I think people need to calm their skins down. Arteta is here for at least another half season. You’ve still got fans calling for him to be sacked before the season has even started.

You're damn skippy !! I am one of them !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:48 pm

And rightly so

Shocking season followed by a summer of hilarity
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk