Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby starmandb » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Personally
I don’t believe in god
But I believe in the comfort and solace that it gives to many
I believe in a degree of spirituality and that can come from many things
One of which I believe is the collective nature of following a football team
You care enough about this club to come on and share your thoughts
To my mind that makes you as important as any fan
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:40 pm

starmandb wrote:Personally
I don’t believe in god

You’re too kind
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:Jay, Arteta had nothing to do with ESR, Martinelli and Saka signing on for Arsenal, he is not gonna get props for that.

The team have improved their defending under Arteta, I will give you that, Gabriel and Partey are good signings, the rest of it, meh, we will see.

I don't see anything Arteta has done thus far which is impressive, slightly improving our abysmal defensive record wasn't a hard job for anyone to do!

Sorry HH, but you can't get away with that.
ESR has flourished under Arteta.
Personally, I give Arteta some credit but mostly to ESR as I always believe the players are the most important aspect.
BUT, you always blame the manager for players not playing well and have stated that the manager is the key. You can't then take credit away from Arteta when a player does well.

Why would Arteta not get props for our young players signing long term contracts? If they were not happy, they wouldn't sign. You think Arteta didn't have several conversations with them leading up to their signatures??? Of course he did.

Every single one of the positives I listed are there for all to see and unless Arteta is given credit as well as criticised then there can be no honest or even worthwhile discussion.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:What has all this got to do with the clown???

Yup, we have moved off topic. The focus should remain on Arteta and the downward trajectory the club is in.

Arteta focus yes, but I prefer to focus also on the areas that we can see are getting better, not just the issues.

3 brilliant youngsters signed up to long term futures at the club.
Pepe improving under Arteta
Defence improved massively under Arteta.
Attacking play significantly improved over the last few months.
Several options going forward now - one of the best benches in the league no matter who starts in the attacking positions.
Gabriel and Partey (if Partey can fully settle) look like 2 excellent signings.
Good summer window (especially if White comes) - additions in the places we really needed them... Luiz replacement, Xhaka replacement, back up to Tierney who is injury prone (it was a big issue when he was missing). This type of transfer business is spot on.
Run of form in 2021 that is top 4 level.

Arteta has played his part - small or large - in all these positives.

In fact, depending on the time frame, we're on an upward trajectory.
Our downward spiral started over a decade ago and I think we've past the low point - ironically under Arteta's stint as manager.

You forgot to mention we just beat Millwall. Another feather in Artetas cap.

That's just a pre-season game.. results are not that important.
You can't refute any of my points on the positive aspects heading into this season, so you resort to silliness?
What's the point of your comment??
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:50 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Yup, we have moved off topic. The focus should remain on Arteta and the downward trajectory the club is in.

Arteta focus yes, but I prefer to focus also on the areas that we can see are getting better, not just the issues.

Several options going forward now - one of the best benches in the league no matter who starts in the attacking positions.
Good summer window (especially if White comes) - additions in the places we really needed them... Luiz replacement, Xhaka replacement, back up to Tierney who is injury prone (it was a big issue when he was missing). This type of transfer business is spot on.

Our downward spiral started over a decade ago and I think we've past the low point - ironically under Arteta's stint as manager.

You can't refute any of my points on the positive aspects heading into this season, so you resort to silliness?

Just trying to see how low you’re willing to drop the bar to support your point about Arteta.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:55 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Just trying to see how low you’re willing to drop the bar to support your point about Arteta.

Poor debating tactic to introduce something someone didn't say.

My points are clear and they are valid reasons to be positive heading into the season.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby themessiah » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:59 pm

starmandb wrote:Personally
I don’t believe in god

Tbf I am not the most religious man but Keep in mind that relying on a few hypotheticals does not make it less logical than a theory that relies entirely on hypotheticals like creationism. Not that the two are inherently incompatible, most modern theists believe their god caused the Big Bang. Assuming the universe was created by a magical all-powerful entity does not make more sense than accepting that we don't know what initially created it. Reframing "we don't know" as "we know it came from nothing" is very transparent and unconvincing.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Jay, Arteta had nothing to do with ESR, Martinelli and Saka signing on for Arsenal, he is not gonna get props for that.

The team have improved their defending under Arteta, I will give you that, Gabriel and Partey are good signings, the rest of it, meh, we will see.

I don't see anything Arteta has done thus far which is impressive, slightly improving our abysmal defensive record wasn't a hard job for anyone to do!

Personally, I give Arteta some credit but mostly to ESR as I always believe the players are the most important aspect.
BUT, you always blame the manager for players not playing well and have stated that the manager is the key. You can't then take credit away from Arteta when a player does well.

Why would Arteta not get props for our young players signing long term contracts? If they were not happy, they wouldn't sign. You think Arteta didn't have several conversations with them leading up to their signatures??? Of course he did.

Every single one of the positives I listed are there for all to see and unless Arteta is given credit as well as criticised then there can be no honest or even worthwhile discussion.

He doesn't get props for those 3 youngsters because:

Saka - showed he was a brilliant youngster under Emery and his development would've continued irrespective of who the manager was. If anyone should get the credit its Emery who had faith in him to play him. Saka was never gonna leave Arsenal so why should Arteta get credit for anything??

Martinelli - again showed he was a brilliant youngster under Emery, he has not improved however, in fact Arteta has seemingly alienated Martinelli, we all criticised him (Arteta). So absolutely no way he is getting credit for Martinelli signing or for developing the player.

ESR - Anyone that is honest with themselves knows that the only reason ESR got any real game time last season was because Arsenal hit rock bottom, it had nothing to do with Arteta wanting to play him or having faith in him. It was the last act of a dying man. From ESR's first game you saw what he brought to the team, it wasn't like - say Saka - who continually improved over the entire season. ESR's starting level was high and it stayed high. That means Arteta didn't develop ESR, he was already at that standard!! And again, ESR was never leaving Arsenal, so again, why should Arteta get credited for developing jim or for him signing on?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:18 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He doesn't get props for those 3 youngsters because:

Saka - showed he was a brilliant youngster under Emery and his development would've continued irrespective of who the manager was. If anyone should get the credit its Emery who had faith in him to play him. Saka was never gonna leave Arsenal so why should Arteta get credit for anything??

Martinelli - again showed he was a brilliant youngster under Emery, he has not improved however, in fact Arteta has seemingly alienated Martinelli, we all criticised him (Arteta). So absolutely no way he is getting credit for Martinelli signing or for developing the player.

ESR - Anyone that is honest with themselves knows that the only reason ESR got any real game time last season was because Arsenal hit rock bottom, it had nothing to do with Arteta wanting to play him or having faith in him. It was the last act of a dying man. From ESR's first game you saw what he brought to the team, it wasn't like - say Saka - who continually improved over the entire season. ESR's starting level was high and it stayed high. That means Arteta didn't develop ESR, he was already at that standard!! And again, ESR was never leaving Arsenal, so again, why should Arteta get credited for developing jim or for him signing on?

They all signed new contracts under Arteta.
It's as simple as that.
He would have been directly involved in the discussions with those players.
You can't have it both ways HH.
How many times have you said the buck stops with the manager?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:21 pm

Bigging up three kids two of whom are from the academy resigning is sad.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:23 pm

swipe right wrote:Bigging up three kids two of whom are from the academy resigning is sad.

Three world class players signed up.
Massive positive for the club and Arteta certainly played a role in it.
If you are not excited about those 3 players committing their futures to the club then you really haven't got much interest in Arsenal.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:58 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:Bigging up three kids two of whom are from the academy resigning is sad.

If you are not excited about those 3 players committing their futures to the club then you really haven't got much interest in Arsenal.

You forgot Balogen. Another worldie in the making. Arteta really has no excuse now with all this world class talent. Top of the table by Christmas or out.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:55 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You forgot Balogen. Another worldie in the making. Arteta really has no excuse now with all this world class talent. Top of the table by Christmas or out.

Don't worry he will find one.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:06 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Balogun hasn't kicked a ball in the PL yet.
We'll see how he does.

Top 6 is a good season.
Top 4 is a great season.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:09 am

Nuggets wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Don't worry he will find one.

Discussing the positives about our football club is not about finding excuses for Arteta.
At some point you will just have to accept that not all Arsenal fans want to constantly moan.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk