Aaron Ramsey

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Aaron Ramsey (8)

Postby StLGooner » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:53 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:In my fledgling years as a gunner, Ray Kennedy was akin to Thor to me, and given my enthrallment with comics and Greek and Norse mythology at the time, he was on a pedestal to rival Nelson's column.

When out of nowhere it was back page news (no second by second global media frenzy back then) that he had been transferred to Liverpool, it was the first time I ever cried over football.

I like Aaron Ramsey, wart's and all given that his well documented failings do not blind me to the positives he puts on the table. But then again I would rather eat a dry cream cracker than look at a shot of a delicious steak dinner when I'm hungry.

That shrug was indeed quite telling but not the be all end all some have claimed it was.

Alas, I believe we are going in a different direction regards how our coach wants to develop our midfield, and ultimately Ramsey is no longer deemed to be a vital cog and maybe its just best to call it a day. That's not to say he has nothing worthwhile to offer us anymore, just that it isn't essential.

That we would hate to see him go to one of our rivals on the cheap and turn into some kind of Lampard or Gerrard for them is obviously understandable, but focus needs to remain on the players that can help achieve the bright future for our club we have been promised for so long.

Well said!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm

I like Ramsey but I don't see him being a Lampard or a Gerrard. Gerrard had that drive and a bit of nastiness that made him so successful at 100 mph English football but so crap for England. Lampard was a totally average midfielder that had the goal scoring record of a mid-level striker. Ramsey does not have the attributes of either player.

Rather than turning him into something he is not perhaps if he focused on what he was actually good at he would be rated much higher by Arsenal fans than he is now. I think he is a good box to box midfielder who makes great late runs into the box and can chip in with some goals, who has above average technical ability - but not great technical ability.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Lampard wasn't average behave ffs
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Lampard was shit - he just scored loads of goals. He was a crap midielder with no pace and no tricks.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 pm

theHotHead wrote:I like Ramsey but I don't see him being a Lampard or a Gerrard. Gerrard had that drive and a bit of nastiness that made him so successful at 100 mph English football but so crap for England. Lampard was a totally average midfielder that had the goal scoring record of a mid-level striker. Ramsey does not have the attributes of either player.

Rather than turning him into something he is not perhaps if he focused on what he was actually good at he would be rated much higher by Arsenal fans than he is now. I think he is a good box to box midfielder who makes great late runs into the box and can chip in with some goals, who has above average technical ability - but not great technical ability.

Apologies if it wasn't clear by my using the term 'some kind of', but it was meant as a simile as opposed to a direct comparison to those players.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:36 pm

theHotHead wrote:Lampard was shit - he just scored loads of goals. He was a crap midielder with no pace and no tricks.

Lamps was the best midfielder out of him, Schole and Gerrard

Truly elite footballer
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Jedi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Sims wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Lampard was shit - he just scored loads of goals. He was a crap midielder with no pace and no tricks.

Truly elite footballer

better than Gerrard but calm down with Scholes comparisons.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Sims wrote:

Truly elite footballer

Lol at Scholes being even mentioned with these 2

Always preferred Gerrard over Lampard though
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 am

Ramsey confirms he will leave at the end of the season after Arsenal offered him a contract and took back the offer

Says he’s focused for the season and not considering moving in January
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 am

Terrible news
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am

Sims wrote:

Truly elite footballer

Hell no !! But I guess it depends on what your criterion is !! All 3 excelled in certain ways and all 3 had their advantages over the others. All 3 were entirely different footballers too so its difficult to make a direct comparison.

People have said Scholes was the best midfielder England has produced in recent times. And I am in no way belittling the accomplishments of Lampard, shit footballer in my opinion but his goal scoring prowess and record puts him up there with the best, no doubt about it, his shooting technique was phenomenal. but take away his goals and he was pretty shit as a midfielder, in my opinion.

Travesty that with players like Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard England were totally shit, how is that possible ?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am

Sims wrote:Ramsey confirms he will leave at the end of the season after Arsenal offered him a contract and took back the offer

To add to this The Telegraph are reporting that the contract being rescinded is due to Emery’s assessment of Ramsey as well as the club’s reluctance to give the payrise he wanted

Wonder if people who lived Rambo will start to turn on Unai
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am

Sims wrote:Ramsey confirms he will leave at the end of the season after Arsenal offered him a contract and took back the offer

Well at least he's being professional about it so fair play.

However we should sell him in January to get some finances out of it.

Sims wrote:To add to this The Telegraph are reporting that the contract being rescinded is due to Emery’s assessment of Ramsey as well as the club’s reluctance to give the payrise he wanted

Wonder if people who lived Rambo will start to turn on Unai

I don't think so and if they want to put fanboyism over the good of the club then their welcome to go get lost as far as I'm concerned, those retards from the Wenger era who put players / managers > AFC need to disappear.

Also regarding Emery's assessment, I think its quite simple, what sort of tw*t manager would ever endorse paying Ramsey £250k pw? Emery has probably just said look I like him but not for £250k, there are other areas I need to invest in more.
Ozil and Mikhy can both play CAM and Ozil's signed up and committed so is Mkhy.

I think Emery also may be a bit disappointed that Ramsey is trying to hold the club hostage for max pay out, makes him look like a mercenary going for £70k more than he deserves or he's off.

Not the attitude we need at AFC.
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 am

I'll miss him. Can be infuriating at times but he's always had the ability to come up with truly memorable moments. The kind of player you don't forget about.

All he needs to do now is lift the league trophy with us this season
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 am

Wouldn't sell him in Jan tbh.

We're in four competitions and we could potentially win one (or two!) of the three Cups in offer.

Squad is God.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football