Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby themessiah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am

EliteKiller wrote:RVP / Auba these are pure EPL Comparisons where at least they faced similar opposition.

Games 280 / 85
Goals - 144 / 54
Goals per match - 0.51 / 0.64
Headed goals - 11 / 3
Goals with right foot - 38 / 43
Goals with left foot - 85 / 8
Penalties scored - 15 / 7
Freekicks scored - 6 / 1
Shots - 862 / 218
Shots on target - 360 / 101
Shooting accuracy % - 42% / 46%
Assists - 53 / 12

Obviously RVP played almost three times as many games so you need to take that into account ... so what do the raw statistics say?

Auba scores more goals per game than RVP, however he is very reliant on his right foot whereas RVP scores with both feet and his head. Maybe this is why better defenders can shut Auba down?

The only other noticeable variable is in team play - RVP creating almost twice as many assists per game as Auba

Make of the numbers what you will, both clearly were great strikers ....

Auba is not an out and out striker he is similar to Cristiano Ronaldo, Mbappe,Neymar. Obviously not as good as them.

Auba is a Cristiano Ronaldo like wide forward not an outright striker..
He can do no hold up play

This ain't 2005 mate, Winger interchangeable with the CF . Salah, Mane, Auba, Neymar , Mbappe , Cristiano Ronaldo . All wingers/wide forwards, Wingers are up front now.

Auba spent majority of his years on the wing at Dortmund and it was the same case last season in which he was joint top scorer. He is play in his best spot which is LW.

what I'm saying is if you actually Auba's entire career including Milan, St Etienne and Dortmund, he's played out wide just as more than as he has played as a striker, so he isn't being shoehorned or labelled as a striker

People are saying playing Auba out wide is a waste but at Dortmund he played that wide role very well.
themessiah
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:16 am

^ Auba prefers to play centrally. But he's willing to play wherever Arteta wants him to.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby themessiah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 am

RVP was the one of best player we had since Henry. He was unreal, unplayable at his best. One of the most complete strikers of the modern era. Dribbling, finishing, long shots, freekicks, control, pace, creativity. He was one of the best players in the league.

Do people not the difference between 2 . one is a CF like RVP who can do it all : passing, creating, dribbling, shooting from distance, finishing... and poacher like AUBA who are poachers which their main and only role is to score goals for out wide.

Look at the difference is play

RVP

AUBA

themessiah
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 am

Aubameyang joined arsenal aged 28 and 227 days
He is now 31 and 40 dayz
In that period he has scored 68 goals for arsenal

Van persie at the same age betwen 21st march 2012 and 15th sept 2014
Scored 50 goals for arsenal and man utd
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 am

Auba is phenomenal
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby themessiah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:46 am

starmandb wrote:Aubameyang joined arsenal aged 28 and 227 days
He is now 31 and 40 dayz

Van Nistelrooy and Huntelaar were better finishers than RVP does that make them better players,

I think Auba is probably a better finisher but I’d say personally RVP was better all round

These people on here here would take Auba over RVP. 10/11 18 goals in 25 games. 11/12 -30 goals in 38 games. Superior output to Auba not to mention, better passer, dribbler, finisher, free kick taker. Pretty much a better player than Auba in all aspects of footy

Can't believe i am defending RVP lol
themessiah
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am

Angelito wrote:^ Auba prefers to play centrally. But he's willing to play wherever Arteta wants him to.

Auba is less productive when starting centrally.
Not by much, but the idea he would score more if he was central is not supported by any evidence.

According to Wyscout in minutes that Aubameyang has played on the left wing for Arsenal his per 90 minute Premier League averages are 0.68 goals and 0.13 assists with 2.48 shots per game.

His expected goals per 90 are 0.46, as you would expect from a forward of his quality he is outperforming what a league average player would do given the chances that are presented to him, though such a sizeable gap between xG and output does also beg the question over whether there may at some stage be a regression to the mean for Aubameyang.

Numerically the gap between his output out wide and through the middle is negligible. As a centre forward Aubameyang averages 0.65 Premier League goals per 90 and 0.11 assists.

Moreover, it's not like he is a winger when starting wide. far from it. He drifts into the centre a lot.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
jayramfootball
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby aniym » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:45 am

themessiah wrote:
He is now 31 and 40 dayz

Van Nistelrooy and Huntelaar were better finishers than RVP does that make them better players,

I think Auba is probably a better finisher but I’d say personally RVP was better all round

These people on here here would take Auba over RVP. 10/11 18 goals in 25 games. 11/12 -30 goals in 38 games. Superior output to Auba not to mention, better passer, dribbler, finisher, free kick taker. Pretty much a better player than Auba in all aspects of footy

Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Angelito wrote:^ Auba prefers to play centrally. But he's willing to play wherever Arteta wants him to.

Question is, is he better from a wider starting position than he is centrally ? Its all well and good him preferring to be central but is he better from the other position ? I can't remember him being any good for us centrally.
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:16 pm

themessiah wrote:RVP was the one of best player we had since Henry. He was unreal, unplayable at his best. One of the most complete strikers of the modern era. Dribbling, finishing, long shots, freekicks, control, pace, creativity. He was one of the best players in the league.

Do people not the difference between 2 . one is a CF like RVP who can do it all : passing, creating, dribbling, shooting from distance, finishing... and poacher like AUBA who are poachers which their main and only role is to score goals for out wide.

I agree, RVP was the more complete player and had far more strings to his bow than Auba. If I had to choose one or the other I would chose RVP and it wouldn't even be close. However, I cannot argue against the number of goals Auba has scored, it is top top level considering how poorly we have played as a team during his time with us.
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby themessiah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:20 pm

aniym wrote:
themessiah wrote:
He is now 31 and 40 dayz

Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.

RVP was the last arsenal player to win the PFA player of the year,

RVP! Better footballer all round.
But the fact is Auba is a better goal getter. Would would have been good to see both together. With Auba at wide left and RVP at CF.
Was reading a today we nearly signed Auba back in 2012. But Gilles Grimandi did not rate him.

Tbf we should have signed Auba back in 2012 instead of Podolski. Never really liked Podolski's off the ball movement.

While everyone on here is not a huge fan of Giroud but the issue wasn't going for him instead of Auba but rather not going for both of them. We needed both. Look at how France won the world cup. Instead we wasted years experimenting.
themessiah
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:22 pm

aniym wrote:
themessiah wrote:
He is now 31 and 40 dayz

Aniym, clarify what you mean by "better". If you mean scored more goals over a career, averages per season, etc etc, I would agree, no argument there.

If you are saying Auba is a better footballer than RVP I would say you are absolutely bonkers, RVP scored goals Auba could only dream of scoring. RVP was able to do the ridiculous and never had the shit games Auba had. Auba's game is so one dimensional its a joke, he offers nothing whatsoever except the goals he scores. On ability Auba is miles behind RVP, thats shouldn't even be a debate, I don't know why it even is.

Andy Cole scored much more goals than Dwight Yorke, but Dwight Yorke was a far far better player than Andy Cole
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby aniym » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:30 pm

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.

Aniym, clarify what you mean by "better". If you mean scored more goals over a career, averages per season, etc etc, I would agree, no argument there.

If you are saying Auba is a better footballer than RVP I would say you are absolutely bonkers, RVP scored goals Auba could only dream of scoring. RVP was able to do the ridiculous and never had the shit games Auba had. Auba's game is so one dimensional its a joke, he offers nothing whatsoever except the goals he scores. On ability Auba is miles behind RVP, thats shouldn't even be a debate, I don't know why it even is.

Andy Cole scored much more goals than Dwight Yorke, but Dwight Yorke was a far far better player than Andy Cole

At Auba's age, RVP managed 10 goals in a season in a team with di Maria and Mata in support. He had plenty of shit games. His own NT manager sent him packing to Fenerbahce.

What I mean by better player is this:

- Exceptional fitness record, first name on any manager's team sheet
- No bullshit about this manager or that manager's tactics, adapts right away
- Top performer when played out of position
- Top performer in a team with no playmaker
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:34 pm

aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.

At Auba's age, RVP managed 10 goals in a season in a team with di Maria and Mata in support. He had plenty of shit games. His own NT manager sent him packing to Fenerbahce.

What I mean by better player is this:

- Exceptional fitness record, first name on any manager's team sheet
- No bullshit about this manager or that manager's tactics, adapts right away
- Top performer when played out of position
- Top performer in a team with no playmaker

That was after RVP's peak.
Auba's first 2.5 years have not come close to RVP at his peak over the same period of 2.5 years. That's in terms of goals and all round play.
Auba will never reach the kind of peaks RVP did because he simply is not at that level.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
jayramfootball
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Top goal scorers for Arsenal ( frequency)
Henry: 228/377: 0.60
Ian Wright: 185/288: 0.64
Cliff Bastin: 178/396: 0.45
John Radford: 149/ 481: 0.31
Jimmy Brain: 139/ 232: 0.60
Ted Drake: 139/184: 0.76
Doug Lishman: 137/244 : 0.56
RVP: 132/278 : 0.47
Sanchez : 80 166. : 0.48
Auba: 68/108 : 0.63
By sheer goal scoring capability, Auba, so far , had done pretty well and stacks up well with the luminaries
Now goals win games, so if he keeps scoring at this rate, and stays w/ us for three more years, he'll be considered amongst Arsenal greats, and provided he gets a better midfield and compact defense behind him, will have a major trophy haul.
ag6789
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk