Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby coach8smallball » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Let's face it he is surrounded by average players, in a team firing on all cylinders I would expect him to score a decent amount his record suggests that

the man is living on high wages and he wasn't even bothered to fight/work. I get the surrounding players are crap, but our ST should bring energy and movement. auba wasn't bothered to do this.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Just read an interview he gave before the wolves game, he prefers it in the middle.

Only had 2 games there. In a team playing shit.

Least of our problems. He'll be fine.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Power n Glory wrote:The season before Auba arrived at Arsenal he scored 40 goals as a lone striker.

Season before that at Dortmund he scored 39 as a lone striker.

What was the set up they had at Dortmund that's missing here at Arsenal?

The league he was playing in for one.

Dortmund's approach to games is another key point.

I'm also sure the quality of the support he had there was many times better than what we have which meant he had more chances to convert his shots.

As I've said before, Aubameyang as the solo striker can work but many things need to be considered for it to work. Same thing I've said about Ozil when comments were going around that Ozil was not right for this league. It's a shame that Ozil has not even been registered when we finally seem to have the players who can help squeeze out his remaining best moments
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Ach wrote:Just read an interview he gave before the wolves game, he prefers it in the middle.

Only had 2 games there. In a team playing shit.

Least of our problems. He'll be fine.

I believe Walcott said the same thing and that didn't go too well if I remember correctly
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:08 pm

Power n Glory wrote:The season before Auba arrived at Arsenal he scored 40 goals as a lone striker.

When you say a lone striker, are you saying he played as a "1 up top" for Dortmund ?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:10 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Let's face it he is surrounded by average players, in a team firing on all cylinders I would expect him to score a decent amount his record suggests that

The same average players he was surrounded by that made him Golden Boot/joint Golden Boot and generally one of the most consistent strikers in the Premier League during his time here.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:12 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

I'm also sure the quality of the support he had there was many times better than what we have which meant he had more chances to convert his shots.

As I've said before, Aubameyang as the solo striker can work but many things need to be considered for it to work. Same thing I've said about Ozil when comments were going around that Ozil was not right for this league. It's a shame that Ozil has not even been registered when we finally seem to have the players who can help squeeze out his remaining best moments

I don't think it's the league because in his first full season at Arsenal he scored 24 goals as a central striker.

But let's say he is the problem...what's our internal options if we have any. Martinelli? Balogun?

If we can't find the complete striker internally, who can we target in the next transfer window to change it?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:25 pm

If you look at Auba's last full season at Dortmund he scored 31 league goals. In that team he played with:

Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic, Marco Reus, Mario Goetze, Shinji Kagawa and Andre Schurrle in an attacking sense. He hardly did the work himself.

Compare to a Vardy who does do a lot of the work himself as a lone striker.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:27 pm

100% down to Arteta this, the team creates nothing is it any wonder the strikers don’t score?

Lacazette is the same, the manager is just doing such a poor job with the team players are low on confidence as well.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

I don't think it's the league because in his first full season at Arsenal he scored 24 goals as a central striker.

But let's say he is the problem...what's our internal options if we have any. Martinelli? Balogun?

If we can't find the complete striker internally, who can we target in the next transfer window to change it?

If anyone has been keeping tabs on my posts then they will know that Martinelli is my answer to this question. I am counting the days until his return from injury and hoping he is at least the same player as he was before his injury .

But until then and assuming Balogun isn’t the real deal then Lacazette is our only answer.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:35 pm

theHotHead wrote:If you look at Auba's last full season at Dortmund he scored 31 league goals. In that team he played with:

Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic, Marco Reus, Mario Goetze, Shinji Kagawa and Andre Schurrle in an attacking sense. He hardly did the work himself.

Vardy is a similar service striker. He works hard but I don't see him working off crappy service, taking a ball from deep, dribbling through players and then smashing them in.

Would Vardy work better at Arsenal with Willock, Xhaka and Ceballos behind him?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:42 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

If anyone has been keeping tabs on my posts then they will know that Martinelli is my answer to this question. I am counting the days until his return from injury and hoping he is at least the same player as he was before his injury .

But until then and assuming Balogun isn’t the real deal then Lacazette is our only answer.

I'm hoping Martinelli comes back the same player as well. The closest thing I've seen to a complete striker and prefer him in a central role. Not the biggest player but like Sanchez he seems to get on the end of headers, has that work rate along with blistering pace.

Lacazette...I don't think he can cope as a lone striker anymore. He needs a partner to work with because he's having to drop too deep and can't make up the ground to get back into the box. But I wouldn't mind seeing if we can play both Auba and Lacazette up front again like we saw under Emery for that 3-5-2 formation he's sometimes play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:48 pm

How I miss Sanchez.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby coach8smallball » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:49 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If you look at Auba's last full season at Dortmund he scored 31 league goals. In that team he played with:

Vardy is a similar service striker. He works hard but I don't see him working off crappy service, taking a ball from deep, dribbling through players and then smashing them in.

Would Vardy work better at Arsenal with Willock, Xhaka and Ceballos behind him?

fair question/point. but vardy's work also makes it easier to service him as well. agreed we don't have the players to necessarily service him on a regular basis, but at the same time......it's not like auba's initiating anything as well.

I can't stand auba's lackadaisical approach
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:53 pm

It does seem Auba has gotten fed up.

Only so many times you can make a run and expect a ball to come only for it to be passes sideways that he's stopped making those runs.

The Arteta effect.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club