Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 pm

He needs someone to play off. Either someone with decent hold up play in a front two or cutting in from the left on a front three. He is completely isolated as the main striker in a front three as he is useless with his back to goal and at his best with the ball at his feet running at defenders.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:He isn't a rvp or Henry he can't do things on his own, in that sense he isn't worth 350k, I don't blame him for a low goal rate this year, he is feeding off scraps

He can a bit but yeah he's certainly not the all round player they were, not even close.

I still remember RVP's goal against Liverpool, we've not seen goals like that since he left.

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:21 am

van persie was levels above this guy, it's not even close.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:29 am

Santi wrote:van persie was levels above this guy, it's not even close.

Goals scored says hi
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:35 am

every goal rvp scored says hi
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Wenger's Coat » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:45 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Wenger's Coat wrote:Hindsight is 20-20 vision. Now that Auba is misfiring, it’s easy to criticise the contract.

However, last season (and before) he was among the best players in the PL.

He was arguably the only CL standard player (and high-end CL standard at that) actually performing at that level in a team that can offer no CL football and barely even scraped into EL. Therefore:

(1) Auba probably would have had no shortage of options if we did not offer him a sufficiently lucrative and long deal; and

(2) we had no realistic prospect of replacing Auba with a player of anything like similar quality.

So the balance of bargaining power was with Auba and retaining him was key to any hopes we might have had for reclaiming top 4 or even top 6.

In the circumstances, the contract terms are not that surprising. But, yes, we took a risk - we bet that he would maintain his form. It seems he is not going to. Whether that’s caused by the contract, the manager, or something else - I don’t know. But, looking at it with the knowledge we had in August (rather than now) I’m not sure that the decision to award the contract can be subjected to fair criticism.

There is no hindsight in terms of my view.
I was quite certain it was a mistake long before his contract because I could already see the deficiencies in Auba's game and also his character.
I am quite sure he will still have the odd great game, but over a season he is not and was not worth the contract we gave him...and I feel that was really obvious.

2018-19: 22 PL goals (Golden Boot shared winner)
2019-20: 22 PL goals (missed out on Golden Boot by one) + goals in FA cup semi-final and final

All of that in a team that was really quite mediocre in most other departments.

If you were able to predict his decline before the new contract was signed and the season started, I doff my hat to you.

I don’t have that kind of foresight, so the contract seemed reasonable to me at the time.

I do agree with you that now, given his current form, it seems like we might have made a mistake. I guess we will know for sure at the end of the season.

Certainly, shelling out 350k a week for the next three years will suck if current form is long term.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:31 am

Ach wrote:
Santi wrote:van persie was levels above this guy, it's not even close.

Goals scored says hi

That would be 2 in 9 this season. or are we living in the past again?

If he hits 25 EPL goals this season then fair play ... fancy a wager?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:31 am

RVP had more than enough shit seasons with us

But let one season right at the end make him better than he was in your eyes.

Only reached 20 league goals in a season once for us in nearly a decade. Playing with the players he played with.

Auba has done it in both his full seasons. Can't believe there are people out there who actually think RVP is better lol
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:42 am

Wenger's Coat wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Wenger's Coat wrote:Hindsight is 20-20 vision. Now that Auba is misfiring, it’s easy to criticise the contract.

He was arguably the only CL standard player (and high-end CL standard at that) actually performing at that level in a team that can offer no CL football and barely even scraped into EL. Therefore:

(1) Auba probably would have had no shortage of options if we did not offer him a sufficiently lucrative and long deal; and

(2) we had no realistic prospect of replacing Auba with a player of anything like similar quality.

So the balance of bargaining power was with Auba and retaining him was key to any hopes we might have had for reclaiming top 4 or even top 6.

In the circumstances, the contract terms are not that surprising. But, yes, we took a risk - we bet that he would maintain his form. It seems he is not going to. Whether that’s caused by the contract, the manager, or something else - I don’t know. But, looking at it with the knowledge we had in August (rather than now) I’m not sure that the decision to award the contract can be subjected to fair criticism.

I was quite certain it was a mistake long before his contract because I could already see the deficiencies in Auba's game and also his character.
I am quite sure he will still have the odd great game, but over a season he is not and was not worth the contract we gave him...and I feel that was really obvious.

2019-20: 22 PL goals (missed out on Golden Boot by one) + goals in FA cup semi-final and final

If you were able to predict his decline before the new contract was signed and the season started, I doff my hat to you.

I don’t have that kind of foresight, so the contract seemed reasonable to me at the time.

I do agree with you that now, given his current form, it seems like we might have made a mistake. I guess we will know for sure at the end of the season.

Certainly, shelling out 350k a week for the next three years will suck if current form is long term.

My argument PRIOR to the signing of the contract - months before in fact - is on these boards.
I specifically called out the folly of a massive contract for an older player and the risks involved.
Like I said I don't think it was amazing foresight - it's fairly obvious.

The other thing I have argued and maintained is that Auba's 22 goal seasons back to back were good but not great by any means. Both those hauls are well below the best we've seen in the PL. As of yet Auba has not had a really brilliant goal scoring PL season.
People got carried away with the 'first to 50 goals' rubbish. A large part of that is because he arrived already at his peak. For example... we bought Henry at 21 and converted him from the wing. 'Fastest to 50' is not a valid comparison between the 2.

As it stands, since Auba started in the PL, he's scored less goals than Jamie Vardy.
He's scored the same as Harry Kane (but Kane has been injured and played less games).

It IS fair to say that Auba is one of the best in the PL over the last 3 seasons, but we're in an era in the PL where the strikers are not what they once were. But Auba is ageing. His goals per game rate had been steadily DECLINING by quite a bit season by season since he joined the PL even before this year. His contract was a horrible mistake

There were some truly ridiculous claims of Auba being one of the greatest strikers we ever had - can't remember that tool that claimed that.. I think he ran away.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:39 pm

aniym wrote:Utter bollocks. People are turning on Auba because he isn't carrying us for the 3rd year running?

This isn't a situation where he's missing multiple chances per game. His drought is worrisome because he isn't even receiving the ball AND no one is filling that gap. Did we even have a proper shot on target all game? From anyone?

Aubameyang had a shot that hit a Leeds players hand
Saka had the shot saved by keeper after being put thru by bellerin
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:43 pm

I know auba had a shot straight at the keeper.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Wenger's Coat » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Wenger's Coat wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

My argument PRIOR to the signing of the contract - months before in fact - is on these boards.
I specifically called out the folly of a massive contract for an older player and the risks involved.

The other thing I have argued and maintained is that Auba's 22 goal seasons back to back were good but not great by any means. Both those hauls are well below the best we've seen in the PL. As of yet Auba has not had a really brilliant goal scoring PL season.
People got carried away with the 'first to 50 goals' rubbish. A large part of that is because he arrived already at his peak. For example... we bought Henry at 21 and converted him from the wing. 'Fastest to 50' is not a valid comparison between the 2.

As it stands, since Auba started in the PL, he's scored less goals than Jamie Vardy.
He's scored the same as Harry Kane (but Kane has been injured and played less games).

It IS fair to say that Auba is one of the best in the PL over the last 3 seasons, but we're in an era in the PL where the strikers are not what they once were. But Auba is ageing. His goals per game rate had been steadily DECLINING by quite a bit season by season since he joined the PL even before this year. His contract was a horrible mistake

There were some truly ridiculous claims of Auba being one of the greatest strikers we ever had - can't remember that tool that claimed that.. I think he ran away.

Fair enough. Credit to you for calling it in advance.

I guess let’s see where we are at the end of the season. Hopefully this is not a permaslide into poor form.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:03 pm

Wenger's Coat wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Wenger's Coat wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Fair enough. Credit to you for calling it in advance.

I guess let’s see where we are at the end of the season. Hopefully this is not a permaslide into poor form.

I am just hoping he can help us out in a few games... he might have some games where he scores a couple or the odd hat trick, but I think they will come in bunches. I was hoping for an investment that big we'd get a really top season, like 30 goals in the PL, but that looks very unlikely.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:05 pm

starmandb wrote:
aniym wrote:Utter bollocks. People are turning on Auba because he isn't carrying us for the 3rd year running?

This isn't a situation where he's missing multiple chances per game. His drought is worrisome because he isn't even receiving the ball AND no one is filling that gap. Did we even have a proper shot on target all game? From anyone?

Aubameyang had a shot that hit a Leeds players hand
Saka had the shot saved by keeper after being put thru by bellerin

Auba had 3 decent chances against Leeds - none of them big chances though.
One he shanked, another he scuffed it straight at the keeper and the other was more difficult where he had the chance to shift it and shoot... that is the one that hit the defenders hand, but it was not a great shot. Lacked power.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Ach wrote:RVP had more than enough shit seasons with us

But let one season right at the end make him better than he was in your eyes.

Only reached 20 league goals in a season once for us in nearly a decade. Playing with the players he played with.

Auba has done it in both his full seasons. Can't believe there are people out there who actually think RVP is better lol

You are having a laugh if you think Auba is better than RVP, its not even close, RVP's highlight reel is a goal of the season montage, Auba doesn't even get goal of the month !

Auba scored more goals though, so if your argument is Auba scores more goals, thats a different discussion, but on ability and who was the better player you would have to be on something if you think Auba is the better player.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club