Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 pm

That Denzel didn't get an Oscar for truly remarkable performances like Malcolm X, but did get one for playing a stereotypical 'gangsta' cop alongside some truly terrible 'actors' like Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg tells you all you need to know about the kinda people that sit on the judges panel.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:40 pm

They could have left Denzel out of that film.

The rest of the cast would have made up for the loss of his acting skills.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:15 am

hs6bx wrote:Anyone looking forward to champs league tonight? Get chance to see the 31 Year old Robert Lewandowski.

He has a contract until 2023 and gets paid 20m euros per year. Seems Bayern are even more silly than arsenal according to one idiots logic (who doesn’t understand the game of football). Whoops.

Get this as well... whilst playing for Dortmund

Lewandowski - 131 games and 74 goals
Auba - 144 games and 98 goals.

Will let you guys do the math.

(Obviously we all know that both players are class, but there is one little computer hermit who doesn’t understand football and needs some more bait because he’s very hungry)

Lewondowski is exceptional where Auba is not.
Lewandowski IS actually the the the most prolific goal scorer in the history of the Bundesliga. No one has to pretend that he is.

Last season Lewondowski got 54 goals.

They only played 1 season together at Dortmund 2013/14

Lewondowski 48 games 28 goals
Auba 48 games 16 goals

The next 3 years 14/15, 15/16, 16/17, Auba played at Dortmund he scored 104 goals in 141 games
Over the same period Lewondowski was playing for Bayern and he scored 110 goals in 147 games

Most importantly Lewondowski completely blows Auba's numbers away when comparing careers. It's not even close.

Lewondowksi 435 goals in 654 appearances
Auba 266 goals in 505 appearances.

In addition, and most importantly, I would think it fairly obvious - even to a complete dimwit and clown - that Bayern Munich are in an ever so slightly different position to us in terms of their overall team. The dead give away is that people are "looking forward" to seeing them playing in the Champions League tonight.

You tried again - you failed again.

Like I said - try and up your game. You're struggling.

:biggrin:
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:26 am

StockGooner wrote:I suppose HH and Jay, let's take this £60-£80m budget, and you're providing Salah as an example. Great ona and can't repute it. Timo Werner? Sure, go for it.

What I don't trust is Arsenal themselves to find these players. We have Kia as chief scout, so will we get a Salah? Or a Mane? Or a Martial even?

I think that's a valid question to raise

It is - it's a fair point.
Looking at our current roster of recently signed players it does show that confidence should be fairly low that we will be able to rebuild well.
Whilst somewhat depressing, yours is the best argument yet for not starting the big rebuilding project we need - but the downside is we're just stuck.
Maybe the recent changes to scouting are part of the effort we need to improve our ability to find the players that other clubs seem to be able to find.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:29 am

hs6bx wrote:
themessiah wrote:
hs6bx wrote:
Phil71 wrote:That Leonardo Da Vinci fella didn't half do some poor paintings.

:lol:

Denzel Washington has made some terrible films

Tbf Been on a Denzel kick lately. Still think it's crazy that he didn't get an Oscar for Malcolm X or Philadelphia. The former was the closest representation of a book I think I've ever seen in a movie.

Yeah fair one. I think I’ve seen man on fire about 20 times. Absolute belter!

So your argument is that because Denzel Washington has made a lot of good films, it means we shouldn't sell Auba... Wow, your arguments just get stronger and stronger.

You are into your 2nd week now of a sustained hissy fit, throwing out snark and pretty disgusting insults because your feelings got hurt. It's pretty funny to watch.
:)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:47 pm

thevisualiser wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
thevisualiser wrote:Anything other than renewing Auba contract is the wrong idea. I couldn't fathom how anybody could support moving him on and signing different players to try and facilitate different outcomes on the pitch.

His age is not a problem. The lack of international football, his professionalism and constant advances in footballing science, nutrition and whatnot means you are likely to get at the very least 2 good years out of a 3 year deal for Aubameyang and that is justification enough to renew his contract.

I'd back him to score 20+ goals in the next two league campaigns and that would make his renewal a resounding success.

Too many Twitter/stat nerds these days want to go down the opposite route to prove their superior understanding of the game but it really doesn't work like that.

Wouldn't we want to 'faciltate different outcomes on the pitch'?
I'd hope we do, considering our league position and the lack of goals overall as a team.

Auba got 20+ goals in the last 2 years - so I am not sure why him scoring 20+ for the next 2 years would be a "resounding success".
It would depend on what we did as a team - not one player.

Signing Auba offers nothing new to where we are now, except maybe worse than we are now as Auba is 31.

Selling Auba puts us in a position of needing to replace him when there are greater priorities in the squad right now. Selling Laczette who is 29 and has 2 years left on his deal is a far more logical approach. He’s likely to hold more value in the market due to age and length of time remaining on his contract. His wage demands are also likely to be lower than what you imagine Auba will be angling for on his final big deal.

Our currently position is a direct result of years of poor squad building, holding onto Wenger for too long and subsequently hiring Emery to lead the squad. We have an unbalanced squad and we also have a tonne of inexperienced youngsters who have made plenty of appearances for us. Selling the one elite and experienced attacker we have seems nonsensical at this stage.

Aubameyang cannot command a high transfer fee due to age and length of time remaining on contract (as well as his obvious wish to be paid handsomely for his final big deal). So to sell him for a low fee and then worry about replacing his goals by hedging our bets on new prospects and a change in system is just a huge gamble.

Clubs rebuild all the time, they change systems and bring in new players but it doesn’t always mean you have to get rid of existing players. You can hold onto individuals like Aubameyang and bring in a better quality of player to play around them it’s that simple.

I'd say the fact that there are greater priorities in the squad is the point. We shouldn't be investing huge sums in a 31yr old who is not going to be part of our pretty short term future one way of the other. We will be here again in 2 years having wasted a lot of money, unless all of a sudden we turn into a CL with Auba, which seems vey unlikely given we've not been one with him.

There is one caveat which i have already mentioned - if we have no financial limitations and we can bring in the players we need AND keep Auba, then fine, but that is highly unlikely to be the case.

I agree we should also sell Laca. Neither player have made us any better than we were before they arrived. We've actually got worse.
Getting rid of both would bring in pretty close to 50m in transfer fees and free up about 75m in wages over the next 3 years. That's 125m over the three years - One good striker brought in for MUCH less than that to play alongside Pepe, Willian, Martinelli and Nketiah as front 5 options PLUS bringing in a top class midfielder.

I disagree on Auba's potential transfer fee - we've sold players in their last year for c25m in fairly recent history.

Underpinning all of it is that I do not think we'll struggle to score goals without Auba. I don't buy the argument that losing a decent goal scorer means the team loses goals. It's a pure value calculation for me. 22 PL goals a season for 75m whilst not actually improving our current position. Not really worth it , imo.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:12 pm

The same Pepe deal JayRam was championing to attempt (and I mean failed attempt) to replace Auba is the one so bad that its currently under investigation by Arsenal and its likely why Raul was fired.

Well done JayRam another L.

You couldn't make it up, you've been using the Pepe deal as a cornerstone of your argument and yet that same deal has rocked the club and has caused a scandal.

I'm not going to rehash the argument because as I said those deals are only even possible if the selling club allow it anyway and it seems like in this case, they've allowed it due to what amounts to possible bribes and at the least well over paid.

This had to be noted, the irony was to good.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:14 pm

The problem was the overspending not the structure of the deal. Most transfers these days are done in instalments but nice try.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Santi wrote:The problem was the overspending not the structure of the deal. Most transfers these days are done in instalments but nice try.

This deal got done because we over paid but it looked good up front because of little out lay so the devil was in the detail.

There's no nice try about it, this is the deal he cited and the issue is this .............

When you have competition for a high profile player and you win by using a lay away fkin plan then your obviously screwing yourself in some way shape or form.

Yes installment deals are used but as people pointed out to JayRam every deal is different and deals like this done for high profile players are not the same as one done for lets say .... AMN.

Worse still a 20 goal proven striker will have CL clubs offering more up front money if not all up front so that was my whole point, it'd be worse competition than we had for Pepe i.e its not going to happen we wouldn't win the transfer unless we vastly over paid.

The fact that AFC had to do an investigation and fire their own Head of Football says it all.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:58 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:The same Pepe deal JayRam was championing to attempt (and I mean failed attempt) to replace Auba is the one so bad that its currently under investigation by Arsenal and its likely why Raul was fired.

Well done JayRam another L.

You couldn't make it up, you've been using the Pepe deal as a cornerstone of your argument and yet that same deal has rocked the club and has caused a scandal.

I'm not going to rehash the argument because as I said those deals are only even possible if the selling club allow it anyway and it seems like in this case, they've allowed it due to what amounts to possible bribes and at the least well over paid.

This had to be noted, the irony was to good.

The Pepe deal is being reviewed for paying too much, which I would agree with. He was never worth 72m.
Has absolutely nothing to do with the debate we were having
JHC, talk about clutching for straws.

:biggrin:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:01 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:The problem was the overspending not the structure of the deal. Most transfers these days are done in instalments but nice try.

This deal got done because we over paid but it looked good up front because of little out lay so the devil was in the detail.

There's no nice try about it, this is the deal he cited and the issue is this .............

When you have competition for a high profile player and you win by using a lay away fkin plan then your obviously screwing yourself in some way shape or form.

Yes installment deals are used but as people pointed out to JayRam every deal is different and deals like this done for high profile players are not the same as one done for lets say .... AMN.

Worse still a 20 goal proven striker will have CL clubs offering more up front money if not all up front so that was my whole point, it'd be worse competition than we had for Pepe i.e its not going to happen we wouldn't win the transfer unless we vastly over paid.

The fact that AFC had to do an investigation and fire their own Head of Football says it all.

Don't try and wriggle off the hook. You claimed that we HAVE to pay up front for a player to replace Auba if we sold him.
That was the only debate where the Pepe deal was mentioned and the only context - and you were cleary wrong - as the Pepe deal showed.

That we as club think we paid too much for him now is completely irrelevant to that debate. I think everyone would agree we paid too much for him.

So yeah, nice try, but you were wrong.

The way you completely embarrassed yourself the other night must still be churning you up inside.

You appear to now be splatting different threads with 'jayram said this, jayram said that..." appealing to the board.
Shows you know how bad it was for you the other night. :crybaby:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Considering my stats for this season showing Auba being one of the best finishers in the Prem ahead of Aguero, Vardy and Marshall and have completely destroyed your entire premise of why you've been b*tching at him all season went up in flames ......... I'm surprised you even show your face in this thread tbh.

While you've been focusing on this back and forth trolling, I won the debate from right under your nose.

Imagine spending a year trashing Auba's finishing while praising Vardy only to eventually find out that Auba's ratio is 2.2 compared to Vardy's sorry 1.2 for the season.

You couldn't make it up ......... but then this is JayRam we're talking about so actually you could.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:11 pm

eddi nketeha is obviously a better finisher! :rofll:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:13 pm

dont blame jayram...
itsthe company he keeps
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby hs6bx » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Found this clip of jayram watching the cup final
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club