Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Nejch » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Even quality players will inevitably make silly mistakes, they're just human after all.
I watched Inter v Barca yesterday, and at one point after a corner kick, the ball fell to Lenglet in a clear cut chance to score. He missed the sitter terribly and fell to his knees, holding his face in shame. Immediately after, I think it was Umtiti or someone else who came up to him, lifted him from the ground and told him something like "don't worry about it, it happens, don't get stuck on this and play on". This is the true way to deal with teammates' mistakes, not throw childish tantrums because things don't always go as you expect them.

Someone should remind Auba of all the sitters he missed last season, some of them truly shocking. And I absolutely love Auba, have loved him even before he joined Arsenal. He's not fit to be captain though.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fenice » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:43 pm

I completely agree with that sentiment. I’ve seen it multiple times from our players, they shout or ignore a mistake that clearly bothers the person making it. One of the match threads I called it out. If someone is trying, especially with how poorly we have been playing, we should encourage them, lift them up. That’s how a team works, they’re support. I think some players forget that.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nejch » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 pm

I think it's a matter of character above all else. Sadly we have been attracting players who are largely motivated by money and therefore self-interest, rather than passion, teamwork and a love for the club. This is also reflected on the pitch, where the players behave first as individuals and then as teammates, rather than the other way around.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fenice » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Nejch wrote:I think it's a matter of character above all else. Sadly we have been attracting players who are largely motivated by money and therefore self-interest, rather than passion, teamwork and a love for the club. This is also reflected on the pitch, where the players behave first as individuals and then as teammates, rather than the other way around.

Seems accurate unfortunately. Probably why so many of us are hopeful with our academy kids. They’re the only way forward. We need at least two to come good.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:37 pm

the best forward in Real Madrid history struggles to even congratulate a teammate when they score and loses his shit if he doesn't receive the key pass.

I'll give PEA a break on this. Him and Willock are pros and can make amends without the forum having to police their behaviour.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:55 am

If you have seen his disgustingly coloured Lamborghini you can believe that Auba is all about himself. That aside, I see both sides of the Willock argument and I am sitting firmly on the non-wooden fence.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:52 am

Fenice wrote:
Nejch wrote:I think it's a matter of character above all else. Sadly we have been attracting players who are largely motivated by money and therefore self-interest, rather than passion, teamwork and a love for the club. This is also reflected on the pitch, where the players behave first as individuals and then as teammates, rather than the other way around.

Seems accurate unfortunately. Probably why so many of us are hopeful with our academy kids. They’re the only way forward. We need at least two to come good.

Save for Martinelli, none of them look like prodigies. Sadly.

Willock appears to be the next Iwobi.

ESR has that Ramsey-esque spring and Chamberlain's burst but that won't be enough for him as a CAM. He's only 19, so he has time on his side.

Saka is still too young. He's the one to watch out for.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nejch » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:30 am

Saka will come good imo, and Willock just needs the right coaching and to not be put under too much pressure. Guendo is still 20 years of age, mind you, so he also still has a lot of room to develop.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Our academy is pretty poor to be honest, when Wenger came in he had a 10 year plan to improve the academy, that never really worked, we then invested huge fortunes on signings supposedly the best young players, again that didn't work, considering the amont of time and money we've invested our return has been very very poor indeed, there's smaller clubs who have found many many more gems than us on a fraction of our budget.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Fenice » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Angelito wrote:
Fenice wrote:

Save for Martinelli, none of them look like prodigies. Sadly.

Willock appears to be the next Iwobi.

ESR has that Ramsey-esque spring and Chamberlain's burst but that won't be enough for him as a CAM. He's only 19, so he has time on his side.

Saka might very well come good. I don’t want to put too much on him, but he looks to be the most talented, and also the most intelligent.
Saka is still too young. He's the one to watch out for.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:49 am

Terrible performance and attitude yesterday. He's our captain. he showed nothing, absolutely nothing leadership wise.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:57 am

I love Auba and think he’s elite but if we get near £150m for him and Laca in the summer with Ozil departing that’s a lot of money that could be used in a big overhaul of the club

Gives Arteta a clean slate to start a project with too
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Sims wrote:I love Auba and think he’s elite but if we get near £150m for him and Laca in the summer with Ozil departing that’s a lot of money that could be used in a big overhaul of the club

It'd be more like £100m I think.

About £700k a week off the wage bill though.

I'd like to keep Aubameyang and Lacazette.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Dejan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Sims wrote:I love Auba and think he’s elite but if we get near £150m for him and Laca in the summer with Ozil departing that’s a lot of money that could be used in a big overhaul of the club

But we"d be starting over.. again..

Weve spent hundreds of millions in the last few seasons

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby ESR10 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 pm

Would sell one of Auba/Laca and Özil and bring in an elite winger and a creative B2B midfielder instead. Our squad needs to get more balanced.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club