Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:00 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:I typed the wrong thing about his captaincy, I just edited it.

He's a great character to have in the squad but I don't rate him as a captain because I feel he leaves it to the likes of Xhaka, Tierney and Luiz to do all the heavy lifting .......... and so he should.

I don't like strikers as captains, they need to be allowed to be selfish goal scorers, not carry the burdern of the teams fight and heart in performance.

Agree on that. Strikers shouldn't be captain unless their leadership skills are exceptional.

Exactly.

Alan Shearer is the only one I can think of who was a good captain playing as striker.

Take Henry for example possibly the best player we've ever had (between him and Bergkamp) however he was a b*tch at being a captain, bullying younger players and being overly demanding with the ball.

But again that's because a strikers personality and job role is different to any other player on the pitch, they need to be free of all responsibility of team performance bar goals, that should be their only focus.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Best captain since Vieira = Mertesacker.

History might have unfolded differently if we had Mertesacker instead of Gallas in 07/08.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Angelito wrote:Best captain since Vieira = Mertesacker.

History might have unfolded differently if we had Mertesacker instead of Gallas in 07/08.

Mertesacker was excellent. Best defensive football brain we've had in decades.
His only flaw was his pace, but he was so intelligent he made up for it.
Agree on his captaincy

Our last 12 captains ranked IMO

1 Adams - the best (ever)
2 Vieira - Good
3 Mertesacker - Good
4 Arteta - Poor
5 Van Persie - Poor
6 Henry - Poor
7 Fabregas - Rubbish
8 Koscielny - Rubbish
9 Vermaelen -Rubbish
10 - Xhaka - Rubbish
11 - Aubameyang - Rubbish
12 - Gallas - Beyond rubbish

It's about time we had a proper Captain - step forward Tierney. It's time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:44 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I see the cult is out in force.

Let's get back to reality.

Excellent game against Benfica and also against Leeds. Good signs.
But, a horrendous season in which he has let us down badly - it's been a stinker for him.
He has gone from consistently terrible to a good game here and there - so progress.

He’s got 13 goals in all competitions this season. He could easily end the season with 20 goals. How would that classify as a horrendous season?

He's got 8 in the league.
Europey league goals are all well and good, but for 350k a week , 8 goals at this stage of the PL season is horrendous for him.
That he has had a very poor season is not in question - I am sure he'd admit it himself.

A forth europey
Still funny
Oh my aching sides when we won the crap winners cup

The Cup Winners Cup was a knockout competition - not some crappy league format against teams that had won nothing to qualify. The Europey League is a tournament for losers.. right to the point where losers that get knocked out of the Cl get a second chance and enter the competition later, lol. It's a joke. In reality, the half-decent teams have an easy few games in a nonsense league format that they simply walk through.

The Cup winners Cup was specific to Cup winners - The only exemptions being where a cup winner in a domestic league had qualified for the European Cup. Two-legged games with away goals meant there was danger in every round of getting knocked out - right from the start. Every round held excitement.

The Europey league gets interesting at the semi-final stage and purely because of the chance of actually going into the CL looms.
The trophy itself is worth less than the League Cup.
I mean we played Molde and Dundalk and it really didn't matter if we had lost one of them - we'd have still qualified.

We played 5 games of knockout ties to win the 93/94 cup winners cup just like we would have to to win the europa league
1st round Danish cup winners Odense ( about vorskla level today)
2nd round Belgian cup winners standard Liège ( about real Sociedad level today)
Quarter final Italian cup winners Torino ( about young boys level today)
Semi final PSG french cup winners ( about schalke level today
Final 3rd placed Parma Italian cup quarter finalists ( about Lazio level today)
We didn’t go( 5 times so far) ooh ain’t it shit
We loved winning a bona fide European trophy that we knew wasn’t the European cup but contained its own kudos
Until the media told us all what was important
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:43 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Ach wrote:Finished fifth. Signed Bergkamp who was great for the long term and platt who was great for the short term.

Started off the run we are currently on of qualifying for Europe every season for the past 25 years. Arteta about to end it

Harshly dismissed after one season cos dein wanted Wenger and we all saw how that ended up. Should've kept Rioch but hindsight is a bitch. It is what it is. Hopefully Arteta gets us the Europa.

I thought by explaining that he didn’t sign Bergkamp but transfers were in the hands of Dein that season would make you have a look to see if this was fact as my word means little
But if coarse not
It’s you with that undefeated certainly
Arteta has a better win percentage than Rioch
And A trophy in the locker
I saw how getting wenger ended
With the best season and the best football the club ever played
Of course wenger was kept on too long but in you own black and white world you are either good or bad forever and god forbid there should ever be any nuance
You must be in constant torture because you so hate to be right and you are never wrong
Poor you

You're super dodgy with the stats! Lol
Win percentage? Really?

What is super dodgy
I have a look at things and am very happy when they work in current Arsenal favour

You are more than welcome to take issue with any stat I produce and say that I am wrong if I look again
It’s not beyond the realms of possibilities that I made a mistake
What I won’t do is slink away
I will say I am sorry and try to correct it

Which is why I say you're dodgy. You'll pick stats that favour your argument, ignore the rest and switch metrics and measures to suit. Arteta has been manager here over a longer period so why not compare his last 39 games to Rioch's one season? This season alone Arteta has lost more games than Rioch had whilst at Arsenal.

Also, we finished 5th under Rioch after finishing 12th the previous.

Rioch last 38 games were better than Arteta’s last 38 games( I don’t count game 39 as the community shield is a friendly)
Arteta p 38
W 18
D7
L 13
F 60
A 39
Rioch p 38
W 17
D 12
L 9
I do pipe up when I believe I can show current Arsenal in a better light but I will work under any parameters set if asked
It has nothing to do with things being in my favour
My hope is that it’s in Arsenal’s favour

If the intention is to show Arsenal in favourable light, Rioch was an Arsenal manager and he's been misrepresented in your post. Having an opinion is one thing but the stats provided just further prove they're open to manipulation.

I don't think anyone mentioned Arteta's win percentage vs any other manager but that's what you chose to highlight. If we're going off win percentages than Arteta is a better manager than George Graham! In fact, he's 2% away from being as good as Wenger!

I know Rioch was an Arsenal manager he isn’t anymore
The current Arsenal team are the only ones that can help us now
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:09 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Ach wrote:Finished fifth. Signed Bergkamp who was great for the long term and platt who was great for the short term.

Started off the run we are currently on of qualifying for Europe every season for the past 25 years. Arteta about to end it

Harshly dismissed after one season cos dein wanted Wenger and we all saw how that ended up. Should've kept Rioch but hindsight is a bitch. It is what it is. Hopefully Arteta gets us the Europa.

I thought by explaining that he didn’t sign Bergkamp but transfers were in the hands of Dein that season would make you have a look to see if this was fact as my word means little
But if coarse not
Of course wenger was kept on too long but in you own black and white world you are either good or bad forever and god forbid there should ever be any nuance
You must be in constant torture because you so hate to be right and you are never wrong
Poor you

Win percentage? Really?

What is super dodgy
I have a look at things and am very happy when they work in current Arsenal favour

You are more than welcome to take issue with any stat I produce and say that I am wrong if I look again

Which is why I say you're dodgy. You'll pick stats that favour your argument, ignore the rest and switch metrics and measures to suit. Arteta has been manager here over a longer period so why not compare his last 39 games to Rioch's one season? This season alone Arteta has lost more games than Rioch had whilst at Arsenal.

Rioch last 38 games were better than Arteta’s last 38 games( I don’t count game 39 as the community shield is a friendly)
Arteta p 38
W 18
D7
L 13
F 60
A 39
Rioch p 38
W 17
D 12
L 9
I do pipe up when I believe I can show current Arsenal in a better light but I will work under any parameters set if asked

If the intention is to show Arsenal in favourable light, Rioch was an Arsenal manager and he's been misrepresented in your post. Having an opinion is one thing but the stats provided just further prove they're open to manipulation.

I don't think anyone mentioned Arteta's win percentage vs any other manager but that's what you chose to highlight. If we're going off win percentages than Arteta is a better manager than George Graham! In fact, he's 2% away from being as good as Wenger!

Misrepresenting the past with these stats isn't useful at all. Again, someone could attempt argue Arteta is better than George Graham with these stats.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:33 pm

starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I see the cult is out in force.

Let's get back to reality.

Excellent game against Benfica and also against Leeds. Good signs.
But, a horrendous season in which he has let us down badly - it's been a stinker for him.
He has gone from consistently terrible to a good game here and there - so progress.

He’s got 13 goals in all competitions this season. He could easily end the season with 20 goals. How would that classify as a horrendous season?

He's got 8 in the league.
Europey league goals are all well and good, but for 350k a week , 8 goals at this stage of the PL season is horrendous for him.
That he has had a very poor season is not in question - I am sure he'd admit it himself.

A forth europey
Still funny
Oh my aching sides when we won the crap winners cup

The Cup Winners Cup was a knockout competition - not some crappy league format against teams that had won nothing to qualify. The Europey League is a tournament for losers.. right to the point where losers that get knocked out of the Cl get a second chance and enter the competition later, lol. It's a joke. In reality, the half-decent teams have an easy few games in a nonsense league format that they simply walk through.

The Cup winners Cup was specific to Cup winners - The only exemptions being where a cup winner in a domestic league had qualified for the European Cup. Two-legged games with away goals meant there was danger in every round of getting knocked out - right from the start. Every round held excitement.

The Europey league gets interesting at the semi-final stage and purely because of the chance of actually going into the CL looms.
The trophy itself is worth less than the League Cup.
I mean we played Molde and Dundalk and it really didn't matter if we had lost one of them - we'd have still qualified.

We played 5 games of knockout ties to win the 93/94 cup winners cup just like we would have to to win the europa league
1st round Danish cup winners Odense ( about vorskla level today)
2nd round Belgian cup winners standard Liège ( about real Sociedad level today)
Quarter final Italian cup winners Torino ( about young boys level today)
Semi final PSG french cup winners ( about schalke level today
Final 3rd placed Parma Italian cup quarter finalists ( about Lazio level today)
We didn’t go( 5 times so far) ooh ain’t it shit
We loved winning a bona fide European trophy that we knew wasn’t the European cup but contained its own kudos
Until the media told us all what was important

Yeah - we played WINNERS of something in every round.
It was also decades ago.
Football had a fraction of the money and smaller clubs could actually compete far more effectively.

Today - even the majority of teams in the CL are complete dross with a few big teams.
The PL remains the only decent competition in Europe - despite the money, the game here has maintained the competitiveness game to game.

The Europey League is the bottom rung of football. There's number 6 for you.

Whether we agree on our opinion of the the Europey League (7) is irrelevant. The point was that scoring goals in the PL is harder and Aubameyang has 8 compared to his 22 last year after receiving a 350k a week contract. Quite why we have to get into who we played in the first round of the Cup Winners Cup in 1994 is baffling.

You just have a bee in your bonnet about being ultra supportive of the team beyond all rational thought. Fine, you do you.
Fact is, though, the team is sh*t, as is the manager. One of the worst collection of coaching staff and players I can remember (and that's many decades).
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Have to agree that the europa league is a failure competition, they should never have got rid of the cup winners cup
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:08 pm

We have no chance in the CL.

Need to win Europa. Our record im Europe is awful. We are the last club to snub a competition.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:17 pm

I'm not down about the Europa like some .......... unless we were too good to be in it.

Which we're certainly not hence why we haven't even won the fkin thing.

Its good practice for the CL format and has great perks i.e a European trophy and a ticket to the CL.

Also any competition which ends up with us in a final playing teams like AC Milan, Napoli, Sevilla etc I'm well up for ......... if we won it, you'd all be going nuts and don't act like you wouldn't.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:06 pm

Tbh I think they should scrap the CL teams dropping into it and scrap the CL place for winning it. Stop giving teams second chances for failure and both competitions will improve.

Being the best of the B bunch doesn’t mean you’re necessarily ready for the A league but can see some value in the CL prize for winning EL (given you could argue it’s harder than coming 4th in Serie A etc), the 3rd place teams dropping down is the more stupid rule imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Santi wrote:Tbh I think they should scrap the CL teams dropping into it and scrap the CL place for winning it. Stop giving teams second chances for failure and both competitions will improve.

Being the best of the B bunch doesn’t mean you’re necessarily ready for the A league but can see some value in the CL prize for winning EL (given you could argue it’s harder than coming 4th in Serie A etc), the 3rd place teams dropping down is the more stupid rule imo.

Agreed.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:29 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

But if coarse not
Poor you

Win percentage? Really?

What is super dodgy

Arteta p 38
W 18
D7
L 13
F 60
A 39
Rioch p 38
W 17
D 12
L 9

Misrepresenting the past with these stats isn't useful at all. Again, someone could attempt argue Arteta is better than George Graham with these stats.

Oh I give up
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:39 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Have to agree that the europa league is a failure competition, they should never have got rid of the cup winners cup

So Viking who won the Norwegian cup yet went out the europa league to Aberdeen are a bigger challenge than molde who just went through to the last 16 beating hoffenheim
This and the champions league may have become bloated for money but the knockout stages
Are exactly the same amount of games it took to win the cup winners cup
With better teams right through
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:30 am

starmandb wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Have to agree that the europa league is a failure competition, they should never have got rid of the cup winners cup

So Viking who won the Norwegian cup yet went out the europa league to Aberdeen are a bigger challenge than molde who just went through to the last 16 beating hoffenheim
This and the champions league may have become bloated for money but the knockout stages
Are exactly the same amount of games it took to win the cup winners cup
With better teams right through

It's 2021.
We won the Cup Winners Cup in the 1994 season.

The disparity between the top and bottom clubs and the leagues is far far different.
Viking, Aberdeen, Molde and Hoffenheim are the four clubs you mentioned - says it all.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club