Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am

Angelito wrote:^ Auba prefers to play centrally. But he's willing to play wherever Arteta wants him to.

Auba is less productive when starting centrally.
Not by much, but the idea he would score more if he was central is not supported by any evidence.

According to Wyscout in minutes that Aubameyang has played on the left wing for Arsenal his per 90 minute Premier League averages are 0.68 goals and 0.13 assists with 2.48 shots per game.

His expected goals per 90 are 0.46, as you would expect from a forward of his quality he is outperforming what a league average player would do given the chances that are presented to him, though such a sizeable gap between xG and output does also beg the question over whether there may at some stage be a regression to the mean for Aubameyang.

Numerically the gap between his output out wide and through the middle is negligible. As a centre forward Aubameyang averages 0.65 Premier League goals per 90 and 0.11 assists.

Moreover, it's not like he is a winger when starting wide. far from it. He drifts into the centre a lot.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:45 am

themessiah wrote:
starmandb wrote:Aubameyang joined arsenal aged 28 and 227 days
He is now 31 and 40 dayz
In that period he has scored 68 goals for arsenal

Van persie at the same age betwen 21st march 2012 and 15th sept 2014
Scored 50 goals for arsenal and man utd

Van Nistelrooy and Huntelaar were better finishers than RVP does that make them better players,

I think Auba is probably a better finisher but I’d say personally RVP was better all round

These people on here here would take Auba over RVP. 10/11 18 goals in 25 games. 11/12 -30 goals in 38 games. Superior output to Auba not to mention, better passer, dribbler, finisher, free kick taker. Pretty much a better player than Auba in all aspects of footy

Can't believe i am defending RVP lol

Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Angelito wrote:^ Auba prefers to play centrally. But he's willing to play wherever Arteta wants him to.

Question is, is he better from a wider starting position than he is centrally ? Its all well and good him preferring to be central but is he better from the other position ? I can't remember him being any good for us centrally.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:16 pm

themessiah wrote:RVP was the one of best player we had since Henry. He was unreal, unplayable at his best. One of the most complete strikers of the modern era. Dribbling, finishing, long shots, freekicks, control, pace, creativity. He was one of the best players in the league.

Do people not the difference between 2 . one is a CF like RVP who can do it all : passing, creating, dribbling, shooting from distance, finishing... and poacher like AUBA who are poachers which their main and only role is to score goals for out wide.

I agree, RVP was the more complete player and had far more strings to his bow than Auba. If I had to choose one or the other I would chose RVP and it wouldn't even be close. However, I cannot argue against the number of goals Auba has scored, it is top top level considering how poorly we have played as a team during his time with us.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby themessiah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:20 pm

aniym wrote:
themessiah wrote:
He is now 31 and 40 dayz

Van Nistelrooy and Huntelaar were better finishers than RVP does that make them better players,

I think Auba is probably a better finisher but I’d say personally RVP was better all round

These people on here here would take Auba over RVP. 10/11 18 goals in 25 games. 11/12 -30 goals in 38 games. Superior output to Auba not to mention, better passer, dribbler, finisher, free kick taker. Pretty much a better player than Auba in all aspects of footy

Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.

RVP was the last arsenal player to win the PFA player of the year,

RVP! Better footballer all round.
But the fact is Auba is a better goal getter. Would would have been good to see both together. With Auba at wide left and RVP at CF.
Was reading a today we nearly signed Auba back in 2012. But Gilles Grimandi did not rate him.

Tbf we should have signed Auba back in 2012 instead of Podolski. Never really liked Podolski's off the ball movement.

While everyone on here is not a huge fan of Giroud but the issue wasn't going for him instead of Auba but rather not going for both of them. We needed both. Look at how France won the world cup. Instead we wasted years experimenting.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:22 pm

aniym wrote:
themessiah wrote:
He is now 31 and 40 dayz

Aniym, clarify what you mean by "better". If you mean scored more goals over a career, averages per season, etc etc, I would agree, no argument there.

If you are saying Auba is a better footballer than RVP I would say you are absolutely bonkers, RVP scored goals Auba could only dream of scoring. RVP was able to do the ridiculous and never had the shit games Auba had. Auba's game is so one dimensional its a joke, he offers nothing whatsoever except the goals he scores. On ability Auba is miles behind RVP, thats shouldn't even be a debate, I don't know why it even is.

Andy Cole scored much more goals than Dwight Yorke, but Dwight Yorke was a far far better player than Andy Cole
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:30 pm

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.

Aniym, clarify what you mean by "better". If you mean scored more goals over a career, averages per season, etc etc, I would agree, no argument there.

If you are saying Auba is a better footballer than RVP I would say you are absolutely bonkers, RVP scored goals Auba could only dream of scoring. RVP was able to do the ridiculous and never had the shit games Auba had. Auba's game is so one dimensional its a joke, he offers nothing whatsoever except the goals he scores. On ability Auba is miles behind RVP, thats shouldn't even be a debate, I don't know why it even is.

Andy Cole scored much more goals than Dwight Yorke, but Dwight Yorke was a far far better player than Andy Cole

At Auba's age, RVP managed 10 goals in a season in a team with di Maria and Mata in support. He had plenty of shit games. His own NT manager sent him packing to Fenerbahce.

What I mean by better player is this:

- Exceptional fitness record, first name on any manager's team sheet
- No bullshit about this manager or that manager's tactics, adapts right away
- Top performer when played out of position
- Top performer in a team with no playmaker
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:34 pm

aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Even if Auba's career faded as rapidly as RVP's did after 2014, I would still say Auba is better. He's been delivering consistently for years across 3 teams and 6 managers whereas RVP needed constant support from Wenger for his development, especially since he was injured so frequently from ages 19-27. His peak was higher, but it lasted for exactly 2.5 seasons playing under 2 of the greatest ever PL managers. That's not much when you consider his playing career didn't end until 35.

At Auba's age, RVP managed 10 goals in a season in a team with di Maria and Mata in support. He had plenty of shit games. His own NT manager sent him packing to Fenerbahce.

What I mean by better player is this:

- Exceptional fitness record, first name on any manager's team sheet
- No bullshit about this manager or that manager's tactics, adapts right away
- Top performer when played out of position
- Top performer in a team with no playmaker

That was after RVP's peak.
Auba's first 2.5 years have not come close to RVP at his peak over the same period of 2.5 years. That's in terms of goals and all round play.
Auba will never reach the kind of peaks RVP did because he simply is not at that level.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Top goal scorers for Arsenal ( frequency)
Henry: 228/377: 0.60
Ian Wright: 185/288: 0.64
Cliff Bastin: 178/396: 0.45
John Radford: 149/ 481: 0.31
Jimmy Brain: 139/ 232: 0.60
Ted Drake: 139/184: 0.76
Doug Lishman: 137/244 : 0.56
RVP: 132/278 : 0.47
Sanchez : 80 166. : 0.48
Auba: 68/108 : 0.63
By sheer goal scoring capability, Auba, so far , had done pretty well and stacks up well with the luminaries
Now goals win games, so if he keeps scoring at this rate, and stays w/ us for three more years, he'll be considered amongst Arsenal greats, and provided he gets a better midfield and compact defense behind him, will have a major trophy haul.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:51 pm

jayramfootball wrote:The error where you couldn't count and got the numbers wrong.
That one.
Your other questions are irrelevant because they are attempting to change the debate we were having.

That ACTUAL question : taking Auba's 2.5 years in the PL and his 54 goals, has RVP gone through a 2.5 year spell in the PL at his peak scoring more goals?
Answer - yes, by a big margin.

End of story.

Hope you are felling better this morning.
You had a bad night.

Your a sad little man JayRam.

This is easily fixed...........quote me!!

I never said take any 2.5 years, I said take 2.5 years during their Arsenal career you cretin.
If you want to include goals at another club i.e Utd then Auba's Dortmund goals are useable to and you'd lose again.

So many losses so little time, how do you cope?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:54 pm

So much aggression over nothing...

Should put the time into learning how to distinguish between your and you’re instead.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:The error where you couldn't count and got the numbers wrong.
That one.
Your other questions are irrelevant because they are attempting to change the debate we were having.

That ACTUAL question : taking Auba's 2.5 years in the PL and his 54 goals, has RVP gone through a 2.5 year spell in the PL at his peak scoring more goals?

End of story.

You had a bad night.

I never said take any 2.5 years, I said take 2.5 years during their Arsenal career you cretin.
If you want to include goals at another club i.e Utd then Auba's Dortmund goals are useable to and you'd lose again.

Ok.
You said
Funnily enough that 3 season goal tally I posted was clear cut, then he argues it so I looked at it again and remembered Auba only had 2 1/2 seasons as we bought him in January, not even 3 full seasons which I compared to RVP originally ............ Jay dug his own grave.

If you take away half a season from RVP doesn't matter last season or first of the 3 the result is the same ......... Auba has scored more premier league goals than RVP over a 2 1/2 season basis during RVP's absolute prime.

You were wrong.
RVP's prime included a season at Utd.

You could have let it lie, but you blurted again made a fool of yourself again.
The numbers are clear - Auba's 2.5 years are nowhere close to the 2.5 years of RVP's absolute prime.

Once again you were wrong, which you know of course and it's the reason for your absolute meltdown last night and now today.
;)
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:00 pm

themessiah wrote:
He is now 31 and 40 dayz

Huntelaar scored 38 goals within the age range aubameyang has been at arsenal
Taking van persie is not an option
He is too old to play for arsenal
I have no truck with van persie
He moved for his career and had every right to go wherever he liked
However
My motivation for posting was to credit a current arsenal player shown in a good light
In a time frame where others have stated he was inferior on goals scored alone.
That is patently untrue and that fact pleases me him being an arsenal player and that
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:00 pm

There you go quoted, I am, was and was always only referring to their Arsenal career.

DiamondGooner wrote:Last 3 seasons AFC

DiamondGooner wrote:So looking at it from a whole ........... your right I should change it, RVP actually would of lost to Auba out right if I take away half a season from RVP to mirror Auba's time at Arsenal.

DiamondGooner wrote:I took the whole of Auba's Arsenal career of 3 seasons which actually was a half season (January) so Auba actually would of beaten RVP's tally had he had a whole season instead of half.
I compared that to RVP's prime last 3 seasons and the only 3 seasons where he had a chance to match Auba's numbers because before that RVP was scoring only 11 goals per season.

DiamondGooner wrote:I SPECIFICALLY said goals during their Arsenal career
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
That one.

End of story.

You had a bad night.

Ok.
You said
Funnily enough that 3 season goal tally I posted was clear cut, then he argues it so I looked at it again and remembered Auba only had 2 1/2 seasons as we bought him in January, not even 3 full seasons which I compared to RVP originally ............ Jay dug his own grave.

If you take away half a season from RVP doesn't matter last season or first of the 3 the result is the same ......... Auba has scored more premier league goals than RVP over a 2 1/2 season basis during RVP's absolute prime.

You were wrong.
RVP's prime included a season at Utd.

You could have let it lie, but you blurted again made a fool of yourself again.
The numbers are clear - Auba's 2.5 years are nowhere close to the 2.5 years of RVP's absolute prime.

Once again you were wrong, which you know of course and it's the reason for your absolute meltdown last night and now today.
;)

Prime years AT ARSENAL.

If you want to include prime years at other clubs, in comes the Dortund stats.

You can't have it both ways, you lost, go home.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club