Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby FrustratedGooner » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:39 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Have to admit, Lacazette is looking like a better fit as CF. He does the Giroud-type work of playing with back to goal, and making the little passes to the wide players that run into the box. That's where we could expect Auba, Pepe, ESR or somebody to pick up the ball and score.

Sticking Auba at CF takes away his biggest skill - and the only thing he is world class at - roaming to find space and create openings.
It's foolish to play him up against a CB or ask him to finish off chances a CF would gobble up. They are not his skills.
I'd like to see him played left forward and given a freer role in the team AND (of course) see him put the effort in.

CF: 297 games, 184 goals, 0.61goals per game
LW: 74 games, 42 goals, 0.56 goals per game

Can we have those stats for just Arsenal as I suspect he is better for us as LW then CF.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:03 pm

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:Have to admit, Lacazette is looking like a better fit as CF. He does the Giroud-type work of playing with back to goal, and making the little passes to the wide players that run into the box. That's where we could expect Auba, Pepe, ESR or somebody to pick up the ball and score.

Sticking Auba at CF takes away his biggest skill - and the only thing he is world class at - roaming to find space and create openings.
It's foolish to play him up against a CB or ask him to finish off chances a CF would gobble up. They are not his skills.
I'd like to see him played left forward and given a freer role in the team AND (of course) see him put the effort in.

He hasn't played 371 PL games.

Last 3 seasons in the PL - 0.59 goals per game.

CF - 0.55 from 3.05 shots per game (18% conversion)
Left - 0.60 from 2.13 shots per game (28% conversion)

The chances a CF has to tuck away are not his strength - or rather he just gets into better positions from the left to score.
Out left he is also doing more for the team , not only scoring more, finishing better, but contributing to the team play.

Goals involved in from central start - 0.13
From left starting position 0.20

Regardless of all that - we need him to stop missing easy chances. Today was ridiculous. ANY other player showing what he did today and our fans would be shouting SELL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:02 am

I hope to god he gets his sh1t together this season.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:39 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

The chances a CF has to tuck away are not his strength - or rather he just gets into better positions from the left to score.
Out left he is also doing more for the team , not only scoring more, finishing better, but contributing to the team play.

Regardless of all that - we need him to stop missing easy chances. Today was ridiculous. ANY other player showing what he did today and our fans would be shouting SELL.

I gave you his career data which proves he’s an out and out center forward and a damn good one at that but you have to keep arguing.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:03 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I gave you his career data which proves he’s an out and out center forward and a damn good one at that but you have to keep arguing.

I gave you the last 3 years of his PL stats.
He plays in the PL.
Even Timo Werner could smash in goals in the Bundesliga.
Trotting out tired career stats in other leagues when we actually watch Auba struggle in the PL as a CF is not the argument ender that you perceive it to be. Basically, you are saying.. 'hey, 4 seasons ago he scored loads in a different league as a CF, so despite performing better in the PL as a left-sided player, he's an out and out CF.' :dontknow:

It's being kind to even include the last 3 years of Auba's PL stats. What matters is what he does this COMING season and the evidence of his more recent CF play over the last 12 months is not encouraging at all.

I think this quote from further up says it best.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:16 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He plays in the PL.
Trotting out tired career stats in other leagues when we actually watch Auba struggle in the PL as a CF is not the argument ender that you perceive it to be. Basically, you are saying.. 'hey, 4 seasons ago he scored loads in a different league as a CF, so despite performing better in the PL as a left-sided player, he's an out and out CF.' :dontknow:

It's being kind to even include the last 3 years of Auba's PL stats. What matters is what he does this COMING season and the evidence of his more recent CF play over the last 12 months is not encouraging at all.

You always pick selective stats to support your point. Pick Arteta’s stats for five weeks in the middle of the season rather than the entire season, pick Auba’s stats from three years of his career rather than his entire career. The only reason he played on the left the past three seasons is because he’s been managed by mugs who don’t know how to get the midfield to play balls through the center and need the CF to drop off.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He plays in the PL.

You always pick selective stats to support your point. Pick Arteta’s stats for five weeks in the middle of the season rather than the entire season, pick Auba’s stats from three years of his career rather than his entire career. The only reason he played on the left the past three seasons is because he’s been managed by mugs who don’t know how to get the midfield to play balls through the center and need the CF to drop off.

Selective as in relevant.
What Auba did in a different league 4 years ago is irrelevant.
He plays in the PL - and in this league he is better from the left.

As for your '5 weeks' comment, no it was 5 months and it was the most recent 5 months to support my view that we were on a good run in 2021 and it gave me some reason to be positive going into this year - NOT that we had a good season. So again, totally relevant stats to underpin the actual point I was making.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:23 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He plays in the PL.

Daft argument. The guy played in France, Italy and Germany before coming to England for clubs like Dortmund who would screw us sideways at the moment.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:26 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He plays in the PL.

Daft argument. The guy played in France, Italy and Germany before coming to England for clubs like Dortmund who would screw us sideways at the moment.

Now it's daft to look at the data from the actual league he is playing in now... instead we have to look at 4 years ago in a different league? :dontknow: ok, dude. :lol:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:38 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He plays in the PL.

Now it's daft to look at the data from the actual league he is playing in now... instead we have to look at 4 years ago in a different league? :dontknow: ok, dude. :lol:

FWIW he’s scored more goals for us from CF than LW. But your agenda…
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:15 am

Swipey, Auba has never been a CF, a centre forward is as much a role as it is a position. Lacazette can play as a CF perfectly well, Auba cannot, he is a dreadful CF.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:03 pm

theHotHead wrote:Swipey, Auba has never been a CF, a centre forward is as much a role as it is a position. Lacazette can play as a CF perfectly well, Auba cannot, he is a dreadful CF.

Auba is ten times the CF than that half bred Laca. Laca is the biggest disappointment in that position since Chamakh. We are stuck with him cause no one will buy him and he’ll leave on a free. Auba is a top pedigree European striker. It’s not even debatable.
PS. Laca is a sweet guy so no disrespect intended. I’d have him over for tea and biscuits if I could.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I only saw the highlights but that finishing was terrible.

However the brightside is that he's still getting into those shooting positions, the goals will come but he needs to step it up this year.

We can't have any passengers this season, our standing in the league is way passed excuses.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:37 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I only saw the highlights but that finishing was terrible.

However the brightside is that he's still getting into those shooting positions, the goals will come but he needs to step it up this year.

We can't have any passengers this season, our standing in the league is way passed excuses.

This is true.
The fact he was in this positions is a positive.
That's his strength and it was lacking last year.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 am

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Swipey, Auba has never been a CF, a centre forward is as much a role as it is a position. Lacazette can play as a CF perfectly well, Auba cannot, he is a dreadful CF.

Auba is ten times the CF than that half bred Laca. Laca is the biggest disappointment in that position since Chamakh. We are stuck with him cause no one will buy him and he’ll leave on a free. Auba is a top pedigree European striker. It’s not even debatable.
PS. Laca is a sweet guy so no disrespect intended. I’d have him over for tea and biscuits if I could.

I can't tell if you are taking the piss with this or not ........

Please explain to me so we are clear what aspects of being a CF Auba excels in and also where Laca dissapoints.

I don't have a problem with any argument that Auba can play in the middle up top, but I refuse to entertain any argument that he can play as a CF. A CF is a very specific position, the role of which usually includes holding up the ball - which Laca is good at and Auba is absolutely dreadful at.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club