Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:45 pm

aniym wrote:2017/18: 74 league goals
2018/19: 73
2019/20: 56
2020/21: 35 with 11 games left

Manager plays some of the most dour, defensive football in the league, and Auba's still responsible for 25% of those goals.

In 18/19, that number was 30%. He's still pretty consistent, it's the squad selection and tactics that's nullified our entire attack.

Auba scored 22 last year. Under the SAME manager - with LESS OPTIONS - he scored 11 in half a season last year.
We've had that excuse already and it doesn't pass the sniff test.

We've had so many excuses now it's quite ridiculous - when what is blatantly obvious is that Auba has played poorly this year. That's it. There is no complicated set of reasons for it. I really don't understand the emotional need for some to make excuses for a player. He's just a player and he'll be gone in 2 years max - probably sooner. He's passing through. Whilst he is here fans should be demanding more from him, not letting him off the hook and blaming everyone else unfairly.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:51 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:It's his position! Needs to start on the left with laca in the middle

Problem is Laca's not doing much at CF.

I think Auba and Pepe in a front two LF & RF would be perfect.

Why do we even need a CF? because we hog so much possession with a slow transition, teams always have time to get back in position which fks up the chances for a CF.
Thing is, when laca doesn't play there is nobody to hold the ball up and we end up playing it sideways/backwards.

Problem is we have no cover up front so one of auba and laca has to play evrry game meaning they can't be used together very often. They are rotating with each other.

Lacazette played nearly 30 minutes of football yesterday. 63% pass completion and zero shots on goal again. The hold up play talk is overstated and just results in tippy tappy/sideways passing higher up the pitch.

Also, moving Auba out wide doesn't make sense. Is that 6 goals from 5 starts? By moving him wide we lose creativity down the left wing and his movement becomes restrictive and predicatble.

We shouldn't have conceded in the first place. That goal only happens with Xhaka playinh because he's so left footed. Elneny or Ceballos would have easily hit that first time around the corner to an Arsenal player. Saka also should have made it a comfortable 2-0 lead. We were also robbed of a penalty.

Laca has scored more goals per minute than Auba this season.
He also has more assists than Auba this season.

Auba scores the vast majority of his goals from the left.
It's already been proven beyond any doubt with this seasons performances that Auba as a CF is a disaster.
Even when he starts centrally he drifts wide left and leaves us no options in the centre.

This isn't the German league - the CF position is no place for a player with Auba's limited abilities.

Excuses can go on and on and on, but when the reality is checked Auba has 9 PL goals after 27 games, and 1 assist.
The only game he has played really well this year as a CF is against Leeds Utd - and they don't exactly make it tough for a CF.
If we could play Leeds every week Auba would be perfect centrally - or if he could play in another league he might get away with it as he did in Germany.

So you think it's best to play a 'limited player' on the left? He's 6 goals from 5 starts as a CF. Laca hasn't a had a shot on goal from open play in ages. Said ages ago that he should be played through the middle and he's back scoring again. You've been proven wrong. Again.

He hasn't got 6 goals from 5 starts in the PL.
His numbers starting centrally in the PL are poor.
4 goals in 787 minutes - much worse then Laca.

I have no issue playing him centrally against sh*t teams in the Europey league.

He is a limited footballer - he is quite brilliant at finding space when out wide and can create some great situations cutting in from the left - when he puts the effort in. Beyond that, he's not good at anything. He's an average finisher, poor passer, awful at holding the ball, poor in the air. He doesn't have the game needed to play CF in the PL.

So awful stats as a CF this season, 9 goals all season in the PL - and apparently I have been proven wrong. You've made so many excuses - all of them debunked with reality, so now you've been reduced to denial.

Since his run as CF in the Prem he has 4 goals from 3 starts. My bad. :rolleyes:

Laca is 2 goals from 5 starts in the Prem and 1 goal was the penalty vs Leicester.

I am not interested in taking a run of 3 games as a comparison - one of which was against Leeds, probably the easiest team in the league to play against.

Auba also had a run as CF earlier in the season and scored NO goals. You completely ignored that now - and at the time - and want to come back with some conclusion on being right after a 3 game run where he played well against an open Leeds team, CRAP against man City and then scored yesterday before going anon for the last 60 minutes? What, the whole season gets reset because you need to push the same excuse that proved to be nonsense last time?

His record THIS year as a CF is inferior - by some distance - to Laca's.

Reality doesn't support your conclusions.

Laca has played easier teams than Leeds and not scored. Just one goal in the Europe League. Three starts in the Europa League and could only manage 1 goal when playing as AM. Played more minutes than Auba in the competition but Auba has 3 goals.

Both Laca and Auba are tied for goals in the league. He hasn’t been a good season for either but Auba is on form at the moment.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:51 pm

ag6789 wrote:Think Auba and Laca are on the mend again. Both have been scoring lately. It is the likes of Xhakha, Luiz and even Leno have pulled us back from sudden brain freezes.
But I think playing Laca and Auba is the solution to us being more potent. They are the best we have and other teams actually fear them. When they are on, other attackers and midfielders should he able to take advantage. But rest of team are so poor in scoring that we get bogged down. That is why I was hoping we get a quality midfielder (Cazorla/ Fabregas type or even Ramsey ) who will be a goal threat. instead they got Odegaard, who is slowly getting used to PL. Our other scoring happens from Saka and Tierney( a full back not iikely to be a regular goal getter). And of course from Pepe, the lethargic genius. Not an exciting scenario.

You are spot on.
We badly lack a scoring midfielder. I am hoping ESR can develop into that - he seems to want to make those runs and scored a wonderful goal recently by setting up a 1-2 and running on.
Both Laca and Auba can score goals over the next 2 years - I don't think either will be prolific (15-20 goals maybe) so we need goals from others.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:53 pm

We should be starting ESR at 10 and trying Ode at 8 next to Partey.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:55 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:It's his position! Needs to start on the left with laca in the middle

Why do we even need a CF? because we hog so much possession with a slow transition, teams always have time to get back in position which fks up the chances for a CF.
Thing is, when laca doesn't play there is nobody to hold the ball up and we end up playing it sideways/backwards.

Problem is we have no cover up front so one of auba and laca has to play evrry game meaning they can't be used together very often. They are rotating with each other.

Lacazette played nearly 30 minutes of football yesterday. 63% pass completion and zero shots on goal again. The hold up play talk is overstated and just results in tippy tappy/sideways passing higher up the pitch.

Also, moving Auba out wide doesn't make sense. Is that 6 goals from 5 starts? By moving him wide we lose creativity down the left wing and his movement becomes restrictive and predicatble.

We shouldn't have conceded in the first place. That goal only happens with Xhaka playinh because he's so left footed. Elneny or Ceballos would have easily hit that first time around the corner to an Arsenal player. Saka also should have made it a comfortable 2-0 lead. We were also robbed of a penalty.

It's already been proven beyond any doubt with this seasons performances that Auba as a CF is a disaster.
Even when he starts centrally he drifts wide left and leaves us no options in the centre.

This isn't the German league - the CF position is no place for a player with Auba's limited abilities.

Excuses can go on and on and on, but when the reality is checked Auba has 9 PL goals after 27 games, and 1 assist.
The only game he has played really well this year as a CF is against Leeds Utd - and they don't exactly make it tough for a CF.
If we could play Leeds every week Auba would be perfect centrally - or if he could play in another league he might get away with it as he did in Germany.

So you think it's best to play a 'limited player' on the left? He's 6 goals from 5 starts as a CF. Laca hasn't a had a shot on goal from open play in ages. Said ages ago that he should be played through the middle and he's back scoring again. You've been proven wrong. Again.

He is a limited footballer - he is quite brilliant at finding space when out wide and can create some great situations cutting in from the left - when he puts the effort in. Beyond that, he's not good at anything. He's an average finisher, poor passer, awful at holding the ball, poor in the air. He doesn't have the game needed to play CF in the PL.

So awful stats as a CF this season, 9 goals all season in the PL - and apparently I have been proven wrong. You've made so many excuses - all of them debunked with reality, so now you've been reduced to denial.

Since his run as CF in the Prem he has 4 goals from 3 starts. My bad. :rolleyes:

Laca is 2 goals from 5 starts in the Prem and 1 goal was the penalty vs Leicester.

I am not interested in taking a run of 3 games as a comparison - one of which was against Leeds, probably the easiest team in the league to play against.

Auba also had a run as CF earlier in the season and scored NO goals. You completely ignored that now - and at the time - and want to come back with some conclusion on being right after a 3 game run where he played well against an open Leeds team, CRAP against man City and then scored yesterday before going anon for the last 60 minutes? What, the whole season gets reset because you need to push the same excuse that proved to be nonsense last time?

Laca has played easier teams than Leeds and not scored. Just one goal in the Europe League. Three starts in the Europa League and could only manage 1 goal when playing as AM. Played more minutes than Auba in the competition but Auba has 3 goals.

Both Laca and Auba are tied for goals in the league. He hasn’t been a good season for either but Auba is on form at the moment.

Laca has a goal every 161 minutes in the PL.
Auba has a goal every 200 minutes in the PL.

The other number I like to look at is how often a player scores - i.e. how many matches. It makes some nice headlines and pads the stats if you bang in a hat trick against a Leeds team who barely defended on the day, but consistency is far more important.

Auba has only scored in 6 PL matches all season.
Laca has scored in 8 - with 3 less starts.

Arteta has pissed around with Laca's playing time and even with a stop/start season he has been a better goal scorer than Auba.

I don't care about the Europey league. It is totally different and does not require the skills a CF in the PL needs. In that sense, I would not disagree with you that Auba is a better option in Europe.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:03 pm

swipe right wrote:We should be starting ESR at 10 and trying Ode at 8 next to Partey.

Agree.
I am not sold on Ode yet, but he is a better option than Ceballos or Xhaka.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:19 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

The other number I like to look at is how often a player scores - i.e. how many matches. It makes some nice headlines and pads the stats if you bang in a hat trick against a Leeds team who barely defended on the day, but consistency is far more important.

Arteta has pissed around with Laca's playing time and even with a stop/start season he has been a better goal scorer than Auba.

I don't care about the Europey league. It is totally different and does not require the skills a CF in the PL needs. In that sense, I would not disagree with you that Auba is a better option in Europe.

Lacazette hasn't scored a goal from open play since late January! Auba just scored yesterday and has been on form and scoring.

Love Lacazette but he's going to be sold in the summer. Auba has been crap on the wings for a reason and this has been his best run of form all season as CF. You think Arteta should drop him to a position where he's been ineffective all season. Is that wise? You really need to try and let go of this Aubameyang hatred and get behind him. Speaks volumes that you can't even say a good when he's scoring. Playing him out wide is as wise as playing Nketiah out wide.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:30 pm

Ach wrote:Set saka up for 2 sitters

Did he set them up? Cba to go check but can't remember so will trust you, the one he put past the post should've been a goal for sure.

Still, I hold him to a high standard based on what he's done before, his new contract and an extra bit for that cringey signing video. So far he's let me down this season and I want more.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Lacazette hasn't scored a goal from open play since late January! Auba just scored yesterday and has been on form and scoring.

Love Lacazette but he's going to be sold in the summer. Auba has been crap on the wings for a reason and this has been his best run of form all season as CF. You think Arteta should drop him to a position where he's been ineffective all season. Is that wise? You really need to try and let go of this Aubameyang hatred and get behind him. Speaks volumes that you can't even say a good when he's scoring. Playing him out wide is as wise as playing Nketiah out wide.

You mean 'last January' as in 5 weeks ago? LOL... You should write for newspapers with headlines like that.
Auba has gone a lot longer without scoring this season - and, in fact, in his previous seasons.

We're looking at different horizons here.
This season Laca has been a better goalscorer for us than Auba. That's a fact. Central comparison or any other comparison.

There MIGHT be an argument for right now on very recent form to start Auba centrally ahead of Laca - but you are mixing that up with the excuse you have made all season (one of many) for Auba that he was not scoring because he was not playing centrally. That is false. His goal scoring record this season when playing centrally is not good.

Right now, to rescue something from his season (even though it's too late for him to have a good season) he has to be scoring pretty much every game for the next 11. That's not what anyone hoped for when he got his new massive contract. Not a single person can credibly claim it was worth giving him that contract based on what we have got from him this year.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Santi wrote:

Did he set them up? Cba to go check but can't remember so will trust you, the one he put past the post should've been a goal for sure.

Still, I hold him to a high standard based on what he's done before, his new contract and an extra bit for that cringey signing video. So far he's let me down this season and I want more.

Yes. The first one he put past the post and the other he refused to shoot with his right and the chance was gone.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:39 pm

Santi wrote:

That's pretty much all there is to it.
It's hard to understand how anyone could think otherwise.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Ach wrote:
Santi wrote:

Yes. The first one he put past the post and the other he refused to shoot with his right and the chance was gone.

This season Auba has created very few chances.. in fact over 90 minutes he's averaged just 0.73. That's a poor return for a forward.
Laca has an average of 1.11. Looking at other teams, Harry Kane, for example, averages 1.51
It's never been a strength of Auba - his passing has been pretty poor his whole career and as well as not being very good at creating chances for others, he has been right near the bottom of the rankings for our team since he arrived in passing accuracy.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:52 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

You mean 5 weeks ago as in last January? LOL... You should write for newspapers with headlines like that.
Auba has gone a lot longer without scoring this season - and, in fact, in his previous seasons.

This season Laca has been a better goalscorer for us than Auba. That's a fact. Central comparison or any other comparison.

There MIGHT be an argument for right now on very recent form to start Auba centrally ahead of Laca - but you are mixing that up with the excuse you have made all season (one of many) for Auba that he was not scoring because he was not playing centrally. That is false. His goal scoring record this season when playing centrally is not good.

Right now, to rescue something from his season (even though it's too late for him to have a good season) he has to be scoring pretty much every game for the next 11. That's not what anyone hoped for when he got his new massive contract. Not a single person can credibly claim it was worth giving him that contract based on what we have got from him this year.

5 weeks....that's 10 games of football played. :shifty: Quite a lot of games don't ya think?

Laca has made 8 appearances out of 10, 5 of them starts. I think around 425 minutes of football. Just 1 shot on goal from open play in all comps.

I think Auba has played around 475 minutes of football as CF and has 6 goals.

Good debating with you, bro! ;)
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

You mean 5 weeks ago as in last January? LOL... You should write for newspapers with headlines like that.

5 weeks....that's 10 games of football played. :shifty: Quite a lot of games don't ya think?

Laca has made 8 appearances out of 10, 5 of them starts. I think around 425 minutes of football. Just 1 shot on goal from open play in all comps.

I think Auba has played around 475 minutes of football as CF and has 6 goals.

Good debating with you, bro! ;)

We haven't played 10 PL games since January 26th., bro.

Here's some CF (started centrally this year) comparisons for you in the PL.
This isn't a debate - it's you making excuses.

Those pesky facts getting in the way of your excuses.
Laca has not only scored more when starting centrally in the PL, he is FAR more involved in creating goals too.

Let's compare even more simply.

When playing as a CF:
Goals per 90, winner - LACA
Expected goals per 90, winner - LACA
Assists per 90, winner - LACA
expected Assists per 90, winner - LACA
Involved in goals including where the player took a shot or made a key pass, winner - LACA
Involved in goals where the player didn't take the shot or make a key pass, winner - LACA
Shots per 90, winner - AUBA

Care to explain how Auba has been better centrally this year than Laca?

Good debunking you, bro - AGAIN.

I will refer back to Santi's simple, direct statement.
Auba has been a let down this year - even without his massive new contract I would add - and we should ALL expect more from him.
Enough of your failed excuses.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Santi wrote:Not enough that's for sure, just pissing me off how much he goes ghosting. This is like Podolski MK II just with a few more goals and pace.

Hey!

Podolski's goals, more often than not, looked like a goal of the season contender. The man was a scorer of great goals, whilst Auba is a great goal scorer.

Auba ~ 110 mins per goals/assists
Podolski ~ 96 mins per goals/assists

:hiding:

I do get where you're coming from, nonetheless.

I also found Pod pleasing to watch. He had an aesthetic charm. Auba looks too bland aesthetically. 'Course lefties always look elegant, so that helps.

Loved Poldi at Arsenal and still maintain that he received unnecessary flack from a vocal minority here. Man had a dynamite of a left-foot and was, I'd say, technically superior to Auba.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club