Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:57 pm

coach8smallball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If you look at Auba's last full season at Dortmund he scored 31 league goals. In that team he played with:

Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic, Marco Reus, Mario Goetze, Shinji Kagawa and Andre Schurrle in an attacking sense. He hardly did the work himself.

Compare to a Vardy who does do a lot of the work himself as a lone striker.

Vardy is a similar service striker. He works hard but I don't see him working off crappy service, taking a ball from deep, dribbling through players and then smashing them in.

Would Vardy work better at Arsenal with Willock, Xhaka and Ceballos behind him?

fair question/point. but vardy's work also makes it easier to service him as well. agreed we don't have the players to necessarily service him on a regular basis, but at the same time......it's not like auba's initiating anything as well.

I can't stand auba's lackadaisical approach

I dunno about that. Just look at this graphic below of our passing connections.

https://twitter.com/Tomthegunner/status/1333360110010331136?s=19

That has to be addressed.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:The season before Auba arrived at Arsenal he scored 40 goals as a lone striker.

Season before that at Dortmund he scored 39 as a lone striker.

What was the set up they had at Dortmund that's missing here at Arsenal?

The league he was playing in for one.

Dortmund's approach to games is another key point.

I'm also sure the quality of the support he had there was many times better than what we have which meant he had more chances to convert his shots.

As I've said before, Aubameyang as the solo striker can work but many things need to be considered for it to work. Same thing I've said about Ozil when comments were going around that Ozil was not right for this league. It's a shame that Ozil has not even been registered when we finally seem to have the players who can help squeeze out his remaining best moments

I don't think it's the league because in his first full season at Arsenal he scored 24 goals as a central striker.

But let's say he is the problem...what's our internal options if we have any. Martinelli? Balogun?

If we can't find the complete striker internally, who can we target in the next transfer window to change it?

If anyone has been keeping tabs on my posts then they will know that Martinelli is my answer to this question. I am counting the days until his return from injury and hoping he is at least the same player as he was before his injury .

But until then and assuming Balogun isn’t the real deal then Lacazette is our only answer.

I'm hoping Martinelli comes back the same player as well. The closest thing I've seen to a complete striker and prefer him in a central role. Not the biggest player but like Sanchez he seems to get on the end of headers, has that work rate along with blistering pace.

Lacazette...I don't think he can cope as a lone striker anymore. He needs a partner to work with because he's having to drop too deep and can't make up the ground to get back into the box. But I wouldn't mind seeing if we can play both Auba and Lacazette up front again like we saw under Emery for that 3-5-2 formation he's sometimes play.

Forgot to reference my sig in my reply. The only thing keeping Lacazette ahead of Martinelli right now is experience which counts for a lot for me
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
coach8smallball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If you look at Auba's last full season at Dortmund he scored 31 league goals. In that team he played with:

Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic, Marco Reus, Mario Goetze, Shinji Kagawa and Andre Schurrle in an attacking sense. He hardly did the work himself.

Compare to a Vardy who does do a lot of the work himself as a lone striker.

Vardy is a similar service striker. He works hard but I don't see him working off crappy service, taking a ball from deep, dribbling through players and then smashing them in.

Would Vardy work better at Arsenal with Willock, Xhaka and Ceballos behind him?

fair question/point. but vardy's work also makes it easier to service him as well. agreed we don't have the players to necessarily service him on a regular basis, but at the same time......it's not like auba's initiating anything as well.

I can't stand auba's lackadaisical approach

I dunno about that. Just look at this graphic below of our passing connections.

https://twitter.com/Tomthegunner/status/1333360110010331136?s=19

That has to be addressed.

JHC give it up will you...
You spent pages telling everyone how we couldn't;t look at any stats regarding Ozil and we just had to look at output (assists)
With Auba you're teaching for every stat you can pull out of your ass to try and excuse him for his lazy, useless start to the season.

This season Auba is useless - utterly cr*p - and the fault is all his.
That will only change when he starts performing and scoring goals, not by some mental gymnastics to exonerate him.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Power n Glory wrote:How I miss Sanchez.

We all do - far better player than Auba
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:17 pm

PEA not being played centrally makes more sense now; he will simply get more of the ball as a wide player in Arteta's setup. Nketiah and Laca's struggle as CF will continue however. This has been the case for several league games running now.

Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:28 pm

aniym wrote:PEA not being played centrally makes more sense now; he will simply get more of the ball as a wide player in Arteta's setup. Nketiah and Laca's struggle as CF will continue however. This has been the case for several league games running now.

The comedy continues.

"Auba is not scoring because he's playing wide...we have to play him centrally."

Auba moves to the centre...

"Auba is not scoring because he can't get the ball centrally and is better off playing wide"

:1990_dancing.gif:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Takes this for people to realise why laca’s totals have dropped. Shame needed bum boy Auba to play there before anyone cared
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:41 pm

aniym wrote:PEA not being played centrally makes more sense now; he will simply get more of the ball as a wide player in Arteta's setup. Nketiah and Laca's struggle as CF will continue however. This has been the case for several league games running now.

It looked the same against Leicester when Lacazette was playing but in a different formation. Auba playing down the wing will have the same problem the other wingers are having. Arteta has to sort out that double pivot. Biggest problem is ball progression.

https://twitter.com/pwawrzynow/status/1333143574200930304?s=09
Last edited by Power n Glory on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby yadunoe » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:50 pm

we should of sold auba after baku and invested in the youngster auba is another ozil
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm

The hatred for our best player by Fairweather's is impressive
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:33 pm

Ach wrote:The hatred for our best player by Fairweather's is impressive

I care about Arsenal doing well, not Auba.
He's on 350k a week to score goals and he's currently stinking up the team doing sod all.
When he starts doing his job he'll be cut some slack.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:10 am

Not a single post from him saying he needs to do better or holding his hands up in the slightest.

Really top captain material.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:12 am

Santi wrote:Not a single post from him saying he needs to do better or holding his hands up in the slightest.

Really top captain material.

How many successful passes in the final third have we made? What should he be holding his hand up for?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:13 am

His lack of effort in almost every game since signing his deal maybe?
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:53 am

Ach wrote:The hatred for our best player by Fairweather's is impressive

If a 31 year old journeymen now represents "our best player" just how screwed are we?

Dijon (loan) 2008–09
Lille (loan) 2009–10
Monaco (loan) 2010–11
Saint-Étienne 2011–13
Borussia Dortmund 2014–17
Arsenal 2018 - Now

France U21 - Gabon

Levels .........
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext