Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Jedi » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:44 pm

aniym wrote:Recently passed Alexis Sanchez' goals total, with 31 fewer appearances and ~3000 fewer minutes.

Goes without saying that Alexis played in a much stronger team with Cazorla, peak Ozil, Ramsey and Giroud. I'm mentioning Giroud because he created a bunch of assists with his hold-up play and flicks inside the box.

Alexis is also known for his never-say-die attitude, while PEA gets flack for seeming lazy and disinterested occasionally. The numbers tell a different story. What little we have to celebrate (FA Cup, progress in EL) wouldn't be there without his efforts.

Pierre Emerick Aubameyang
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.12.12 PM.png

Alexis Sanchez
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.10.07 PM.png

I don't care what the stats say, the eye test doesn't lie. Prime Alexis would carry this team to top 4.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Jedi wrote:I don't care what the stats say, the eye test doesn't lie. Prime Alexis would carry this team to top 4.

Prime Alexis had 30 goals and 15 assists in 2016/17. We ended in 5th place, 1 point off 4th.

Prime Auba (Arsenal-era) had 31 goals in 2018/19. We ended in 5th place, 1 point off 4th.

That being said, I would much rather have Ramsey over Ceballos, and Walcott over Pepe.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:20 pm

Auba is the striker we should have bought when we had Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla and Ramsey. We'd have won the Premier League, forget carrying us to Top 4.

Similar type of striker to Higuain and Benzema. We were linked with both strikers for years and never got around to getting them under Wenger. We finally get Auba when the team has fallen apart.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:24 pm

Prime Alexis and prime Auba needed/needs better managers.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:12 pm

No comparison between Alexis and Auba. One is a top quality playmaker cum goal scorer the other is a quality striker.
But effectiveness wise will rather have Alexis over Auba. Alexis used to be like a well oiled attack machine. Day in and day out, he wouldn't need anyone for help. Snatch from the opponent, then run up the field dribble and create or score. A poor man's Messi.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:19 pm

ag6789 wrote:No comparison between Alexis and Auba. One is a top quality playmaker cum goal scorer the other is a quality striker.
But effectiveness wise will rather have Alexis over Auba. Alexis used to be like a well oiled attack machine. Day in and day out, he wouldn't need anyone for help. Snatch from the opponent, then run up the field dribble and create or score. A poor man's Messi.

Alexis was an Energizer bunny, no doubt. But he didn't do it all on his own. He played alongside two of the best mids of the Emirates era. Ozil and Cazorla fed him plenty of chances when he was here, as did Giroud.

Aubameyang on the other hand won Golden Boot with one of the most unbalanced, least motivated midfields we've had in recent memory. It's only this season that he's been getting proper service from Saka and ESR; unfortunately, his form has been inconsistent, so he hasn't taken advantage the way we'd hoped.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:30 pm

Of course football is a team sport and we know passes have to be played to progress. I am just giving an example of what Alexis could do by himself. Most importantly, he always wanted the ball...hallmark of a top playmaker. A complete footballer.
I agree Auba scored many goals and had an astonishing run in an average team, but falls short as a complete footballer in many ways. Passing, dribbling, turns...etc.
Two of the most complete footballers we had in later Wenger era and until now were Alexis and Cazorla.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:58 pm

aniym wrote:Recently passed Alexis Sanchez' goals total, with 31 fewer appearances and ~3000 fewer minutes.

Goes without saying that Alexis played in a much stronger team with Cazorla, peak Ozil, Ramsey and Giroud. I'm mentioning Giroud because he created a bunch of assists with his hold-up play and flicks inside the box.

Alexis is also known for his never-say-die attitude, while PEA gets flack for seeming lazy and disinterested occasionally. The numbers tell a different story. What little we have to celebrate (FA Cup, progress in EL) wouldn't be there without his efforts.

Alexis Sanchez

How do your stats show that Auba has not been lazy?? Not least because there is a stat circulating that shows he isn't running much compared to others. How can you claim something and provide stats that show something entirely different?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:59 pm

Ach wrote:Criminally underrated.

Best striker since Henry. Best captain since Vieira. 2 invincible legends.

Lucky to have him

Best captain since Vieira? I can see you are in wum mode lol
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:10 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Alexis Sanchez

How do your stats show that Auba has not been lazy?? Not least because there is a stat circulating that shows he isn't running much compared to others. How can you claim something and provide stats that show something entirely different?

Ah man these guys are hilarious. Should've just left it at the goals which was a good achievement (assuming you ignore alexis assists) and called it a day there.

We all know he's a great scorer just having a stinker of a season.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:30 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Lucky to have him

Henry, Gallas, cesc, RVP, Arteta, kos, Auba

Judge by captaincy and their performance as captain, Auba wins.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:27 am

Auba needs the ball played in behind the defense that he can run on to. He would have done wonders in our old squad that had cesc, nasri, Arshavin, Rosicky, Cazorla. But presently we don’t have those type of players. Therefore he’s probably more effective on the left with a center forward that can hold the ball up. I don’t think lacazette is good enough. We should go into the transfer market and find that type of player. I think Auba still has 2-3 good seasons in him and we should try to get the most out of him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:27 am

I see the cult is out in force.

Let's get back to reality.

Excellent game against Benfica and also against Leeds. Good signs.
But, a horrendous season in which he has let us down badly - it's been a stinker for him.
He has gone from consistently terrible to a good game here and there - so progress.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 am

Ach wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Lucky to have him

Henry, Gallas, cesc, RVP, Arteta, kos, Auba

Judge by captaincy and their performance as captain, Auba wins.

Auba is quite possibly the worst captain the club has ever had - I would only really put Gallas below him and maybe Xhaka.
Some players don't lend themselves well to motivating and challenging others around them.
He's been nowhere to be seen as we've struggled in the league this season.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:30 am

Forgot about Xhaka. Doesn't make a difference. In terms of captaincy and performance, Auba best since Vieira. Single handedly winning us trophies and staying whilst others left like rats
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club