Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Yes and every other team considered a top club has goal scorers all over the team and is not solely reliant on one person alone to score their goals.

If Auba doesn't score who else will?? Back to the manager again.

Liverpool won the league with Salah scoring a higher percentage of their goals than Auba does for us .... obviously not a top club.

The truth is Auba is a terrible lone CF - he simply can't play that role - the problem is, as many on here have pointed out, he's also terrible stuck out on the wing ... so a 350k a week striker who can't play as the lone CF or as a wide striker ...

What that means is that to fit him in we have to play two strikers and against top opposition our midfield then gets overrun - you can blame the manger if you must - but in reality Laca or Martinelli would both have been better options as a lone CF ... Arteta needs to realise this and drop Auba when we're only playing one up top.

Yeah, bring up an anomolie to make your point. Who scores regular goals for us if Laca or Auba don't score ? Pepe, ok, who else ? We lack goal scorers in the team, players to chip in. At the moment all teams have to do is stop Auba from scoring and we don't score.

It's easier than that. Cut off the supply and it stops our entire attack. It's why we're hardly creating chances for the front line. Biesla said the plan was to stop our two CM's from playing but they failed to stop them.

“I think the biggest issue that we had was that we were not able to neutralise the circulation between the two centre-backs and the two centre-mids in the first half.”

“You watch closely in the first half, one of the biggest things for us was that we didn’t manage to control Xhaka and Ceballos.

Elneny and Xhaka were useless and as Zenith pointed out, Elneny only made 4 passes to Odegaard all game. Wouod love to see the other passing combinations but all the backwards and sideways passing is easy to defend against. Teams just have to box us in and it's a wrap.

In 2019/20 we created 1.26 big chances per game.
In 2020/21 we have created 1.16 big chances per game.

Over a season that is a 3.8 difference in the number of big chances created - given the conversion rate of a big chance, that's 2 goals ... over an entire season for the whole team

Now onto shots...
In 2019/20 we averaged 10.68 shots per game.
In 2020/21 we have averaged 11.72 shots per game.

So this year we are over a shot better per game
Doesn't look to me like we're any less creative than last year when Auba scored PL 22 goals.
This year he's a rate to get to about PL 12 goals.

How about we look at xG per 90 - just to be sure your argument has zero merit?
2020/21 season so far - 1.35 expected goals per game based on the chances created.
2019/20 season - 1.36 expected goals per game based on the chances created.

Any other excuses for Auba?
I think we've had them all now.

It's ironic you blame others for having an agenda, yet the only obvious agenda is your constant excuse-making for Auba based on nothing tangible.
Why is is it so hard to accept the obvious - that Auba's issues are Auba's issues, no one else's?

Can we all not simply agree that he needs to pull his damn finger out and finish the season MUCH better than the first 25 games?
There is still a chance he could get to 20 goals - that at least would show he's still got what it takes (because right now he doesn't look good enough to be a starting striker), even if it wouldn't rescue what has been a dismal showing that has really hurt the team.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:26 am

Nobody is making excuses for Auba. The point is we are not set up as an attacking side. Wenger got 100 goals out of Giroud by setting up the attacking side to play off him. I’ll give you this, that maybe he’s not suited for the Cf role. That’s a discussion worth having. But the argument that he isn’t trying hard because he’s got a new deal seems baseless.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm

Swipey, its not baseless, wasn't there a stat circling the other day that Auba had the lowest distance covered over some period than anyone else. You can see visibly, he doesn't look like he is putting in the effort he used to put in.

Also, you seem to have dismissed Jayram's figures, if we are NOT set up to attack why are we averaging more shots this season than last and why is our xG higher this season than last, bearing in mind Auba's figures last season far exceed his figures this season?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:39 pm

swipe right wrote:Nobody is making excuses for Auba. The point is we are not set up as an attacking side. Wenger got 100 goals out of Giroud by setting up the attacking side to play off him. I’ll give you this, that maybe he’s not suited for the Cf role. That’s a discussion worth having. But the argument that he isn’t trying hard because he’s got a new deal seems baseless.

Agree overall. Good point on Giroud. Auba has his limitations. He's a classic number 9 striker but if Arteta isn't going to put more creative players around him to suit his game then it's a waste of money and he should have never been given a new contract. We all recognise the limitations of the midfield and especially when we play a combo of Xhaka and Elneny with an inexperienced Odegaard so it shouldn't be a surprise when we can't create anything.

Regardless of who would have played up front we'd have struggled because we don't have a one man attacking machine that can consistently turn water to wine on the pitch. It's rare to find strikers that can pick up the ball anywhere on the pitch and make something happen. Last player we had like that was Sanchez but I have the feeling Arteta doesn’t like this sort of high risk player because they lose the ball a lot. Hence why I think Pepe doesn’t play often and Martinelli.

The other option is a Giroud type that's really good in the air. The way we play, Arteta might as well find that sort of striker because the miracle worker strikers no longer exist.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

swipe right wrote:Nobody is making excuses for Auba. The point is we are not set up as an attacking side. Wenger got 100 goals out of Giroud by setting up the attacking side to play off him. I’ll give you this, that maybe he’s not suited for the Cf role. That’s a discussion worth having. But the argument that he isn’t trying hard because he’s got a new deal seems baseless.

Like I said - there is no difference between this year and last in terms of our creative output - yet Auba is a shadow of himself last year... just after receiving his big new contract. Baseless to suggest the two things are linked? I don't think so - especially when it's not just his drop off in goals but also his effort, as measured both statistically and any period of actually following what he is doing when he is not in possession. He's been lazy AF this year.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Agree overall. Good point on Giroud. Auba has his limitations. He's a classic number 9 striker but if Arteta isn't going to put more creative players around him to suit his game then it's a waste of money and he should have never been given a new contract. We all recognise the limitations of the midfield and especially when we play a combo of Xhaka and Elneny with an inexperienced Odegaard so it shouldn't be a surprise when we can't create anything.

Regardless of who would have played up front we'd have struggled because we don't have a one man attacking machine that can consistently turn water to wine on the pitch. It's rare to find strikers that can pick up the ball anywhere on the pitch and make something happen. Last player we had like that was Sanchez but I have the feeling Arteta doesn’t like this sort of high risk player because they lose the ball a lot. Hence why I think Pepe doesn’t play often and Martinelli.

The other option is a Giroud type that's really good in the air. The way we play, Arteta might as well find that sort of striker because the miracle worker strikers no longer exist.

A classic number 9? I really don't know what Sport you even watch or what team you are following. It can't be football or Arsenal.
Calling Auba a classic number 9 is to compare him to players like Shearer or Ronaldo (the fat one).

Auba is nothing like a classic number 9.
He is a left-sided player who thrives on finding space behind defenders or driving at defenders from the left.
He's not good at receiving the ball, protecting it or being the focal point of an attack.
He has none of the range of other attributes of the likes of Shearer.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 pm

Agree w/Jay. From now on until the end of this season Arteta should stick w/ Auba in the wings Laca upfront, Saka and ESR.
Rotate Eneny, Odegrd, Ceb and Xhakha behind them....and hope we break into top 6.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:12 am

theHotHead wrote:Swipey, its not baseless, wasn't there a stat circling the other day that Auba had the lowest distance covered over some period than anyone else. You can see visibly, he doesn't look like he is putting in the effort he used to put in.

Also, you seem to have dismissed Jayram's figures, if we are NOT set up to attack why are we averaging more shots this season than last and why is our xG higher this season than last, bearing in mind Auba's figures last season far exceed his figures this season?

Dude, all these stats I don’t know. What I see is a player who needs to get a run on the defense and be played in behind. That’s his strength. And our midfield cannot and does not do that. We are too slow in turning over the ball which means the opposition defense and midfield can get organized before we mount our attack. We don’t play enough final balls into the box which means that he doesn’t have anything to latch on to. That’s what I see. I may be wrong if the stats suggest otherwise. But I’m not buying the logic that he’s given up because he’s signed a new deal. People said the same about Ozil. And it’s an extremely cynical point of view. Might as well let all our best players leave like we did rvp.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby diesel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 am

Probably been posted on here a thousand times but when aubameyang doesnt score he offers little else for the team. Additionally, his body language when he is not firing doesnt help, particularly when he carries the armband of our team. Im not saying that all captains need to be screamers, but they do need to offer some leadership, be that in performance or effort, particularly when we have so many younger players in the team.
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:33 am

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Swipey, its not baseless, wasn't there a stat circling the other day that Auba had the lowest distance covered over some period than anyone else. You can see visibly, he doesn't look like he is putting in the effort he used to put in.

Dude, all these stats I don’t know. What I see is a player who needs to get a run on the defense and be played in behind. That’s his strength. And our midfield cannot and does not do that. We are too slow in turning over the ball which means the opposition defense and midfield can get organized before we mount our attack. We don’t play enough final balls into the box which means that he doesn’t have anything to latch on to. That’s what I see. I may be wrong if the stats suggest otherwise. But I’m not buying the logic that he’s given up because he’s signed a new deal. People said the same about Ozil. And it’s an extremely cynical point of view. Might as well let all our best players leave like we did rvp.

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of difference between us this season and last. Forget that 8-10 week tragedy of a period where we couldn't buy a win, the footie has been poor in general. Was our midfield and creativity so great last season? No! Auba is supposed to be better in the middle, but has been shocking when played there so far. For me this is an issue of form with him and has nothing to do with the players around him

So whilst I understand your point I cannot agree with it at all. Who was the creator last season that allowed him to score all those goals?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:43 pm

Contract well deserved

I miss green groceries
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Dejan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:44 pm

King PIERRE
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:49 pm

This is why he's Captain. Statue has to be made asap
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:54 pm

The disrespect he gets from some on here, considering how many times he's kept us from becoming an absolute laughingstock.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:55 pm

aniym wrote:The disrespect he gets from some on here, considering how many times he's kept us from becoming an absolute laughingstock.

But but 350k

Looool
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club