Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:47 pm

All we need is to play a2 up front or a proper Liverpool like 3 up front.

Currently we play 1 up front who isn't a proper CF.

Our attacking problems stem from there, if you get that bit right like we did with Laca on our 4 win streak then we build around it.

I can't understand why Arteta doesn't see that the 1 up front with Auba is just all around not working, its not a co-incidence, he benches Lacazette and we're losing.

I'm not saying Laca will turn us into a team that never loses, its more of "Put your best foot forward" to be as competitive as we can.

Arteta is doing us a disservice playing this system with the forwards we have, even West Ham's Antonio is a better CF than Auba, put Auba as LWF / LF and either put Laca CF or joint LF / RF as a pair and we'll go back to improving.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:He's not a #9, he has no hold up play and he's easily isolated when playing up front on his own. The seasons he was bsnging goals in for fun for us he played LWF or as a pair with Lacazette.

We need a #9 to hold the ball up and bring players like esr, saka, martinelli, odegaard, pepe etc. into the game. All of those would benefit from having a proper target man in front of them!

Nutshell.

Auba playing as a 9 is dead, he's not performing, he's not scoring and Arteta, what is he doing about that, nothing, no changes.

What he needs is to be running "at" goal ball to feet, coming in from the left, I'd like to give him one more chance playing as LWF / LF before completely giving up on him.

We should be buying the best no9 we can find in January because Laca is leaving anyway.

In fact with Laca going, Nketiah going and Auba not being a real CF our striker situation is beyond dire especially beyond January.

Arteta and Edu better fix it sooner rather than later.

Best #9 we can find in January is????

For what we need I'd snap up Ivan Toney. He'd do a job for us given the way we play and get the like of Martinelli and Laca in to play.
In the summer when Auba and Laca leave we can then go all out to bring in an expensive named striker to play with him if any of them want to play for us. It will largely depend on where we finish
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:37 pm

Look at the teams that play 3 up top and it works for them. Mahrez causes havoc and goes for the jugular, as does Sterling, as does Jesus.

Mane, Jiota, Salah, they all make runs all over the shop and give the midfielders plenty of options.

Our options just do not click.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:41 pm

Because our options are completely different from them players.

Saka - Laca - Gabi would be our best front 3 imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:24 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Lets look at Auba this season, in league games he played:
Vs Chelsea (0-2), Arsenal xG 0.63
Vs Man C (0-5), Arsenal xG 0.12
Vs Norwich (1-0), Arsenal xG 2.69 (Auba scored)
Vs Burnley (0-1), Arsenal xG 1.1
Vs Spurs (3-1), Arsenal xG 1.44 (Auba scored)
Vs Brighton (0-0), Arsenal xG 0.36
Vs C Palace (2-2), Arsenal xG 1.74 (Auba scored)
Vs A Villa (3-1), Arsenal xG 3.5 (Auba scored + assist)
Vs Leicester (0-2), Arsenal xG 1.1
Vs Watford (1-0), Arsenal xG 1.49
Vs Liverpool (0-5), Arsenal xG 0.27
Vs Newcastle (2-0), Arsenal xG 2.84
Vs Man U (3-2), Arsenal xG 1.17.

Auba has an overall xG of 6.81, he has scored 4 goals. Now that I have given you the stats, let me give you my analysis, we do not create enough good chances. If we are creating good quality chances I would expect our xG to be higher than the goals we score but in 4 of the games above that Auba played in our xG is lower than the number of goals we scored.

There are 4 games where we have an xG lower than 1, we didnt score in any of those games, Auba himself would be reasonably expected to score 3 more goals than he has, given his xG is 6.81 and he has scored 4 goals. The point is though in all but 1 of our highest xG games Auba played in, he scored goals in each of them.

The smoking gun is not Auba, its the attacking system deployed by Arteta thats the problem. We are creatively wank.

XG says that Auba 'should have scored' 7 PL goals this season - he has 4. He has the worst finishing stat in the entire squad on that basis. Pepe being the second worst.
Those 3 goals would have been real nice, never mind what a top finisher can do who exceeds their xG.

There is no real argument anymore - Auba needs to be replaced.
We're paying 350k a week for a 10 goal a season striker.

If you are going to do an xG, do it comparatively.
Our xG is 7th in the league, yet we've scored the 11th most goals in the league. Our finishing is crap and Auba is the main culprit in the squad.

You talk about Auba not getting chances?

Only 3 players in the entire premier league have a higher xG than Auba.

Jamie Vardy's xG is LOWER and he has 9 goals.

Vardy, Antonio. Ronaldo, Raphinha, Dennis, King, Wilson, Pukki, Maupay, Son, Silva, Sarr, Fernandes, Smith Rowe and Cornet all have LOWER xGs than Auba (some by a lot) and MORE goals.

Gallagher, Benteke, Watkins, Saha, Tommy, Firmino, Fornals, Mount, Greenwood, Hwang, Gray and James have MUCH lower xG than Auba but have scored the same amount of goals.

Auba has THE WORST differencein the ENTIRE Premier league REGARDLESS OF POSITION in terms of goals he should gave scored vs goals he has scored. Yep, he's statistically the worst finisher in the entire league, for 350k a week.

^read that again!

Tell me again how it's none of his fault.
:rolleyes:

Well it all happened under Arteta, cos he was fine before Arteta became manager. Willian went from Chelsea player of the year to worst player in a decade at Arsenal, under Arteta. Lets not forget how he turned a once great CM (Partey) into someone that would look shit at Hackney Marshes, let alone the Arsenal first team

Considering Arteta's other greatest hits, lowest shots over a period of games, unable to create chances and unable to score goals, Im sure the problem doesn't lie with the players.

What has Arteta got to do with Auba missing chances and statistically being the worst finisher amongst strikers in the PL?
I'lll repeat it again - going into this weeks games Auba had the 4th highest opportunities to score goals of all players in the PL.
Not sure what our starting formation has to do with his ability (or lack thereof) to finish chances.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Auba has an overall xG of 6.81, he has scored 4 goals. Now that I have given you the stats, let me give you my analysis, we do not create enough good chances. If we are creating good quality chances I would expect our xG to be higher than the goals we score but in 4 of the games above that Auba played in our xG is lower than the number of goals we scored.

There are 4 games where we have an xG lower than 1, we didnt score in any of those games, Auba himself would be reasonably expected to score 3 more goals than he has, given his xG is 6.81 and he has scored 4 goals. The point is though in all but 1 of our highest xG games Auba played in, he scored goals in each of them.

The smoking gun is not Auba, its the attacking system deployed by Arteta thats the problem. We are creatively wank.

XG says that Auba 'should have scored' 7 PL goals this season - he has 4. He has the worst finishing stat in the entire squad on that basis. Pepe being the second worst.
Those 3 goals would have been real nice, never mind what a top finisher can do who exceeds their xG.

Our xG is 7th in the league, yet we've scored the 11th most goals in the league. Our finishing is crap and Auba is the main culprit in the squad.

Vardy, Antonio. Ronaldo, Raphinha, Dennis, King, Wilson, Pukki, Maupay, Son, Silva, Sarr, Fernandes, Smith Rowe and Cornet all have LOWER xGs than Auba (some by a lot) and MORE goals.

Gallagher, Benteke, Watkins, Saha, Tommy, Firmino, Fornals, Mount, Greenwood, Hwang, Gray and James have MUCH lower xG than Auba but have scored the same amount of goals.

Auba has THE WORST differencein the ENTIRE Premier league REGARDLESS OF POSITION in terms of goals he should gave scored vs goals he has scored. Yep, he's statistically the worst finisher in the entire league, for 350k a week.

^read that again!

Well it all happened under Arteta, cos he was fine before Arteta became manager. Willian went from Chelsea player of the year to worst player in a decade at Arsenal, under Arteta. Lets not forget how he turned a once great CM (Partey) into someone that would look shit at Hackney Marshes, let alone the Arsenal first team

Considering Arteta's other greatest hits, lowest shots over a period of games, unable to create chances and unable to score goals, Im sure the problem doesn't lie with the players.

What has Arteta got to do with Auba missing chances and statistically being the worst finisher amongst strikers in the PL?
I'lll repeat it again - going into this weeks games Auba had the 4th highest opportunities to score goals of all players in the PL.
Not sure what our starting formation has to do with his ability (or lack thereof) to finish chances.

Pretty simple.

He's playing him in a position he doesn't suit, yes his finsihing is attrocious but confidence has a lot to do with form and finishing.

Go back to basics and form will follow.

Arteta keeps trying to fit a square into a round hole, things like missing easy chances follows.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:33 am

Santi wrote:Because our options are completely different from them players.

Saka - Laca - Gabi would be our best front 3 imo.

Well then Arteta needs to stop playing a system he doesn't have players suited to.
He can tweak the system so it works, its not working right now, he needs to earn his corn and stop dicking around with this trial and error bullshit.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerred » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:58 am

I just heard an interview with United's new manager, when asked if he would play Ronaldo he said you play to the players you have not to a system that doesn't suit those players.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:49 am

Goonerred wrote:I just heard an interview with United's new manager, when asked if he would play Ronaldo he said you play to the players you have not to a system that doesn't suit those players.

:clap:

Surely this is common sense, what players do I have? How do I get the best out of the players I have?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerred » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:55 am

theHotHead wrote:
Goonerred wrote:I just heard an interview with United's new manager, when asked if he would play Ronaldo he said you play to the players you have not to a system that doesn't suit those players.

:clap:

Surely this is common sense, what players do I have? How do I get the best out of the players I have?

That's what a good manager does do. It will be interesting to see if he can getter better results from United than Ole did. They already are but that could be the bounce affect. Pep spent millions when he went to City to get the players who would suit his system. Look how he got rid of Joe Hart as soon as he came in. He had the money though, it takes time for some clubs to get the right players in.
Goonerred

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:15 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

^read that again!

Pretty simple.

He's playing him in a position he doesn't suit, yes his finsihing is attrocious but confidence has a lot to do with form and finishing.

Go back to basics and form will follow.

Arteta keeps trying to fit a square into a round hole, things like missing easy chances follows.

So where he starts on the pitch determines how well he finishes his chances?
That's interesting...well not really.

Like I said, he has had more of chance to score goals this season that all but 3 players in the PL (prior to this weekend).
Chances are not his problem. If his finishing was just at the league average he'd already be on his way to being close to a 20 goal season.

Excuses have to stop. When Auba was scoring, but also missing a lot, it was goals goals goals that were the only thing that was important.
We even had some halfwits calling him one of the great arsenal strikers of all time FFS.
He's not scoring, so now other things are important, apparently. I remember one of the excuses last year was that he was NOT playing CF. Now it's because he IS playing CF. :dontknow: (before you jump up and down, yes, I know you were not one of those fools that thought his best position was CF).

He's scored 4 goals in 13 appearances coming off a season where he scored 10 all season.
It's been a year and a half of excuses.

He needs to start scoring goals and he can do much better than he has been with the chances he is already getting in the system he is playing.
If he is so weak minded that if he doesn't play left it causes him to miss chances (...because...) then we don't need him.

Score goals. That's it.
That is all he is good for and if he is not doing it he is good for nothing.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:16 pm

But it's not that Auba isn't getting chances, he's literally missed from 3 yards out twice in a week.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:21 pm

Santi wrote:But it's not that Auba isn't getting chances, he's literally missed from 3 yards out twice in a week.

Yes, he currently ranks 4th in the PL - for ALL players - in terms of the chances offered to him.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby billie86 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:50 pm

Auba can't play with his back to goal and in this system he needs to, you watch him against man united, when we were in the final third he shows nothing, he just hides away from the ball and this basically ends up with us playing with a man down when attacking. Auba had around 10 less touches than all of the other attackers on the pitch which is shocking when you consider the likes of rashford and smith Rowe were quiet for most of the game.
I watched the west ham v Chelsea game yesterday and if you watch Antonio he's so involved in the game, he comes to feet, lays it off then busts a gut to get into a good position in the middle, he challenges defenders physically in and is a nuisance, what I would give to have him starting for us.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:22 pm

billie86 wrote:Auba can't play with his back to goal and in this system he needs to, you watch him against man united, when we were in the final third he shows nothing, he just hides away from the ball and this basically ends up with us playing with a man down when attacking. Auba had around 10 less touches than all of the other attackers on the pitch which is shocking when you consider the likes of rashford and smith Rowe were quiet for most of the game.
I watched the west ham v Chelsea game yesterday and if you watch Antonio he's so involved in the game, he comes to feet, lays it off then busts a gut to get into a good position in the middle, he challenges defenders physically in and is a nuisance, what I would give to have him starting for us.

The question is, how do you set up to play when you don't have a front line built to play with a target man striker? If you looks at Liverpool, City and Man Utd, they haven't been playing with a target man striker that has his back to goal. How does Arteta want us to attack? Most goals are coming from working the wide areas, creating overloads and switching play quickly. The idea of a target man like how we played with Giroud under Wenger seems ancient to me. That style had it's own set of problems because we ended up playing in front of the opposition for long periods without actually being a threat.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club