Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Starmandb, don't forget, Henry was 22 and a winger when he first came to Arsenal, RVP was 21 when he joined Arsenal, so the comparison with Auba isn't comparing apples to apples.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:36 pm

theHotHead wrote:Starmandb, don't forget, Henry was 22 and a winger when he first came to Arsenal, RVP was 21 when he joined Arsenal, so the comparison with Auba isn't comparing apples to apples.

Just putting it out as asked
Take from it what you wish
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:43 pm

swipe right wrote:Someone do us an analysis comparing Auba’s goal stats at this stage in his Arsenal career vs Henry and RvP. Guaranteed he edges Henry and easily beats RvP.

Why? you want to compare Auba who joined Arsenal aged 28 for 56 million, with Henry who joined at 22 for 11m, or RvP who joined at 20 for 2.75m - is that in anyway a meaningful comparison?

Why not compare their relative performances at the same stage of their careers, wouldn't that be the more relevant comparison?

Aubameyang (2017-2021) - 110 EPL matches 63 goals
Henry (2003-2007) - 118 EPL matches 92 goals
RvP (2009-2013) - 117 EPL matches 83 goals

So if you look at comparable four year periods in their career playing in the same competition is your 'guarantee' worth all that much? .... sure at 28 Auba scored more in his first season than Henry at 22 or RvP at 21.... and water is wet .... do you have anymore idiotic nonsense you want shot down?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:39 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Someone do us an analysis comparing Auba’s goal stats at this stage in his Arsenal career vs Henry and RvP. Guaranteed he edges Henry and easily beats RvP.

Why? you want to compare Auba who joined Arsenal aged 28 for 56 million, with Henry who joined at 22 for 11m, or RvP who joined at 20 for 2.75m - is that in anyway a meaningful comparison?

Why not compare their relative performances at the same stage of their careers, wouldn't that be the more relevant comparison?

Aubameyang (2017-2021) - 110 EPL matches 63 goals
Henry (2003-2007) - 118 EPL matches 92 goals
RvP (2009-2013) - 117 EPL matches 83 goals

So if you look at comparable four year periods in their career playing in the same competition is your 'guarantee' worth all that much? .... sure at 28 Auba scored more in his first season than Henry at 22 or RvP at 21.... and water is wet .... do you have anymore idiotic nonsense you want shot down?

I’ll counter you with two points.

1. Henry played with a galaxy of superstars like Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Ljunberg. RvP played with some of the league’s most creative midfielders at the time like Cesc, Rosicky, Arshavin. While Auba plays with Xhaka, Ceballos, el Neny. What do you think Aubas stats would look like if he were in those star studded teams?

2. Blokes like you always tell us how the league has gotten so much harder from the time Wenger won trophies. So wouldn’t that apply to Henry, RvP, Auba comparisons as well?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:54 am

starmandb wrote:

Aubameyang 11250 mins 83 goals
Henry first 11250 mins at arsenal 78 goals
Van Persie first 11250 mins at arsenal 65 goals

Says it all.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:09 am

swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

Apart from the numbers being incorrect, what does it say about Auba's current shit season, where his laziness and awful finishing has let us down badly?

Still seeing a lot of deflection away from this season.
I wonder why?

We badly need rid of him, but it's going to be tough getting him out.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:38 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

Apart from the numbers being incorrect, what does it say about Auba's current shit season, where his laziness and awful finishing has let us down badly?

I wonder why?

He’s having a bad season, not a bad career. With a better manager and more creative players around him he can be a force. But it seems your mind is made up for some reason. Not sure why.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:58 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

I wonder why?

He’s having a bad season, not a bad career. With a better manager and more creative players around him he can be a force. But it seems your mind is made up for some reason. Not sure why.

I didn't say he had a bad career.
I am interested in the here and now and in the club's future.
I can guarantee you my mind is not made up on any player. Auba included.
If he comes back and starts smashing in goals he will get the thumbs up from me and I will look forward to his next 2 years.

What I can't stomach is the ridiculous excuses about his poor season. If this, if that, play him here, play him there, blah blah blah.

It's very simple. Goals. That is Auba's yardstick and this year he hasn't been good enough. I see no signs that he'll be good enough next year to hold down a first team place. I hope that changes, but I am not optimistic about him at all.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

I wonder why?

Can you explain where the numbers are incorrect please?
starmandb

Postby Santi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:35 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

I wonder why?

If he comes back and starts smashing in goals he will get the thumbs up from me and I will look forward to his next 2 years.

What I can't stomach is the ridiculous excuses about his poor season. If this, if that, play him here, play him there, blah blah blah.

It's very simple. Goals. That is Auba's yardstick and this year he hasn't been good enough. I see no signs that he'll be good enough next year to hold down a first team place. I hope that changes, but I am not optimistic about him at all.

Exactly, all that matters is we paid him big for 3 more years of 20+ league goals at minimum. He brings practically nothing else to the team so that is the low bar for him to hit and he’s failing miserably.

Now in fairness the attack hasn’t been massively fluid and on form as a whole this season, the defensive nature of some games has detracted from that but that’s where his flaws as a player get highlighted. If he was working his ass off and contributing to the team without the goals then I’d have much less of a problem with his form, it would somewhat make up for the lack of goals and at least show the right attitude.

Instead we have Laca busting his ass for the team every time he plays and now getting a decent goal return because he’s not getting dropped every 5 minutes. He will never score consistently like Auba has over his career but overall he brings the greater total benefit to the team, at least this season.

Really that’s all that matters, if we can’t sell Auba then Laca will probably have to go in the summer and we pray Auba turns it on again next season. In which case will get fully behind him.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:39 pm

Man's had a tough few months, what with his mother's illness and now his own suffering from malaria. Hoping he can get better soon and end the season strong.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Callum wrote:Man's had a tough few months, what with his mother's illness and now his own suffering from malaria. Hoping he can get better soon and end the season strong.

I'll add that to the ever-growing list of excuses for him.
The dog ate his homework is just around the corner I suspect.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:51 pm

Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

I wonder why?

Exactly, all that matters is we paid him big for 3 more years of 20+ league goals at minimum. He brings practically nothing else to the team so that is the low bar for him to hit and he’s failing miserably.

Now in fairness the attack hasn’t been massively fluid and on form as a whole this season, the defensive nature of some games has detracted from that but that’s where his flaws as a player get highlighted. If he was working his ass off and contributing to the team without the goals then I’d have much less of a problem with his form, it would somewhat make up for the lack of goals and at least show the right attitude.

Instead we have Laca busting his ass for the team every time he plays and now getting a decent goal return because he’s not getting dropped every 5 minutes. He will never score consistently like Auba has over his career but overall he brings the greater total benefit to the team, at least this season.

Really that’s all that matters, if we can’t sell Auba then Laca will probably have to go in the summer and we pray Auba turns it on again next season. In which case will get fully behind him.

Same applies to Lacazette and this where the double standards kick in. Talk about him getting dropped or not being the main penalty taker...it's an excuse. He's on £180k and we paid £50m for a top class striker to surpass Giroud and that hasn't been the case. He works hard and a great example to the team but we were looking for a 25+ goal striker when we signed him and not just a work horse because we already had that from Giroud.

Laca is having a better season today but 17 goals isn't enough and last season it was just 12 goals all season. Same yardstick applies. Goals. We could have kept Giroud and Welbeck if we wanted a 15 goal striker that works hard for the team at a fraction of the cost. If we keep Lacazette on he'll have to really up his game to be that 25 goal striker.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:54 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

I wonder why?

Same applies to Lacazette and this where the double standards kick in. Talk about him getting dropped or not being the main penalty taker...it's an excuse. He's on £180k and we paid £50m for a top class striker to surpass Giroud and that hasn't been the case. He works hard and a great example to the team but we were looking for a 25+ goal striker when we signed him and not just a work horse because we already had that from Giroud.

Laca is having a better season today but 17 goals isn't enough and last season it was just 12 goals all season. Same yardstick applies. Goals. We could have kept Giroud and Welbeck if we wanted a 15 goal striker that works hard for the team at a fraction of the cost. If we keep Lacazette on he'll have to really up his game to be that 25 goal striker.

What double standard?
I don't know anyone who thinks we should be giving Laca a 3yr contract with a massive wage hike.
He's doing well for us this season compared to his previous levels.
He's certainly paid too much for what he provides.
If he stays I would hate to see him on anything other than a years extension and certainly no wage increase.

As for this year, he'd have more goals if he was not messed around. He's only played c1800 minutes of PL football from a possible c2800, but he has 13 PL goals. In terms of goal rate that is a goal every 139 minutes in the PL, which is better than Auba over his first 2.5 seasons with us. I think there are only 2 strikers in the PL with a better rate.
Despite missing loads of football over the last 2 months because of tardiness, family issues and illness, Auba has still played 200 minutes more than Laca and he's taken CF minutes away from Laca prior to that 2-month partial absence. That was a mistake.

This was a 20 goal season for Laca in the PL but for the terrible decision to drop him after he opened the campaign with 3 in 3 games and then playing him deeper. Even then, he STILL might get to 20 in the PL. We've got 7 PL games left and he should start at CF in all of them.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Says it all.

I wonder why?

What double standard?
I don't know anyone who thinks we should be giving Laca a 3yr contract with a massive wage hike.
He's doing well for us this season compared to his previous levels.
He's certainly paid too much for what he provides.
If he stays I would hate to see him on anything other than a years extension and certainly no wage increase.

As for this year, he'd have more goals if he was not messed around. He's only played c1800 minutes of PL football from a possible c2800, but he has 13 PL goals. In terms of goal rate that is a goal every 139 minutes in the PL, which is better than Auba over his first 2.5 seasons with us. I think there are only 2 strikers in the PL with a better rate.
Despite missing loads of football over the last 2 months because of tardiness, family issues and illness, Auba has still played 200 minutes more than Laca and he's taken CF minutes away from Laca prior to that 2-month partial absence. That was a mistake.

This was a 20 goal season for Laca in the PL but for the terrible decision to drop him after he opened the campaign with 3 in 3 games and then playing him deeper. Even then, he STILL might get to 20 in the PL. We've got 7 PL games left and he should start at CF in all of them.

If he agrees to a one year extension with no wage increase it’s because he’s so bad that nobody wants him. And even I don’t think he’s that bad.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club