Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:32 am

Ach wrote:Forgot about Xhaka. Doesn't make a difference. In terms of captaincy and performance, Auba best since Vieira. Single handedly winning us trophies and staying whilst others left like rats

He hasn't single-handedly won anything for us.
In terms of captaincy this season he's been abysmal.
In terms of performance this year he's been poor (being kind).
You can't make up for a season of dogsh*t with 2 good performances in a month.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 am

jayramfootball wrote:I see the cult is out in force.

Let's get back to reality.

Excellent game against Benfica and also against Leeds. Good signs.
But, a horrendous season in which he has let us down badly - it's been a stinker for him.
He has gone from consistently terrible to a good game here and there - so progress.

He’s got 13 goals in all competitions this season. He could easily end the season with 20 goals. How would that classify as a horrendous season?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 am

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Recently passed Alexis Sanchez' goals total, with 31 fewer appearances and ~3000 fewer minutes.

Goes without saying that Alexis played in a much stronger team with Cazorla, peak Ozil, Ramsey and Giroud. I'm mentioning Giroud because he created a bunch of assists with his hold-up play and flicks inside the box.

Alexis is also known for his never-say-die attitude, while PEA gets flack for seeming lazy and disinterested occasionally. The numbers tell a different story. What little we have to celebrate (FA Cup, progress in EL) wouldn't be there without his efforts.

Pierre Emerick Aubameyang
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.12.12 PM.png

Alexis Sanchez
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.10.07 PM.png

How do your stats show that Auba has not been lazy?? Not least because there is a stat circulating that shows he isn't running much compared to others. How can you claim something and provide stats that show something entirely different?

It would be interesting to see his running stats game by game. See if there is a massive difference between his recent games where he has scored to games where he hasn't.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:10 am

Ach wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:Criminally underrated.

Best striker since Henry. Best captain since Vieira. 2 invincible legends.

Lucky to have him

Best captain since Vieira? I can see you are in wum mode lol

Henry, Gallas, cesc, RVP, Arteta, kos, Auba

Judge by captaincy and their performance as captain, Auba wins.

Ok judge by their performance as captain? Henry got us to a CL final and didn't go missing for half a season (although technically you can say he did go missing for half the following season as captain because he was injured for a lot of 2006/07). In that case it is down to their goals and in the full season Henry got 33 goals and 10 assists versus Auba in 2019/20 that got 29 goals and 3 assists.

RVP had one season as captain (2011/12) and scored 37 goals and got 13 assists!

Fabregas was captain in the 2008/09 season, we got to the CL semi final. The next season we had a load of young players in the team, Bendtner, Clichy, Diaby, Denilson, Nasri and Song, we topped the table with almost 2 thirds of it being played. In the 2010/11 season we were on course for the infamous Quadruple in late Feb.

Fabregas got 3/16 (goals/assists), 19/19 and 9/16 during his time as captain.

How are you gonna tell me Auba has been our best captain since Vieria? Is it because he lifted the FA Cup as captain? Im not gonna knock it because its a great achievement, but you also can't ignore him going missing for half the season either. I guess it depends on what you place the most value on.

If we look at major individual awards during their times as captain, Arsenal related (not national team) Auba got 2, Henry got 4, Fabregas got 2, RVP got 8.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:23 am

The players they played with has to come in to it.

This is the worst arsenal side for decades along with the worst arsenal manager ever. Auba wins us a trophy single handedly. None of the others won f all.

Scored goals and was top scorer in the league playing with the abomination that we have. Rvp did the same but with better players.

So it comes down to who won what? Auba wins. None of the others are in the debate.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:35 am

Fair enough. I need more though, Fabregas turned up for every game and so did RVP in the sole season he was captain. I see no fire from Auba, you at least saw some in RVP and Henry.

Not trying to knock Auba, I think he is a top player that Arsenal desperately need to keep but I can't say I rate him as a captain. I don't rate any of them, for the record, but for me he doesn't come above the 3 players I mentioned, for the reasons I mentioned.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:04 am

Cesc disappeared after Xmas. Thought that was the main criticism of him back then?

One thing we must praise Auba for is that he stayed. The others didn't. Auba more than any of them could've left considering how bad the team is and he gets in to every team in the world as a striker and on the left for Bayern. But he stayed. That's captain material for you.

Our best player and hopefully his bad run is over and he brings the Europa home
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:09 am

Ach wrote:The players they played with has to come in to it.

This is the worst arsenal side for decades along with the worst arsenal manager ever. Auba wins us a trophy single handedly. None of the others won f all.

Scored goals and was top scorer in the league playing with the abomination that we have. Rvp did the same but with better players.

So it comes down to who won what? Auba wins. None of the others are in the debate.

You only have to go back as far as Bruce Rioch to find a worse manager than Arteta
He did not sign Bergkamp either
At the time he was given no control over transfers
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:14 am

Finished fifth. Signed Bergkamp who was great for the long term and platt who was great for the short term.

Started off the run we are currently on of qualifying for Europe every season for the past 25 years. Arteta about to end it

Harshly dismissed after one season cos dein wanted Wenger and we all saw how that ended up. Should've kept Rioch but hindsight is a bitch. It is what it is. Hopefully Arteta gets us the Europa.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 am

starmandb wrote:

You only have to go back as far as Bruce Rioch to find a worse manager than Arteta
Is that true? What evidence do you have?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:40 am

Ach wrote:Finished fifth. Signed Bergkamp who was great for the long term and platt who was great for the short term.

Started off the run we are currently on of qualifying for Europe every season for the past 25 years. Arteta about to end it

Harshly dismissed after one season cos dein wanted Wenger and we all saw how that ended up. Should've kept Rioch but hindsight is a bitch. It is what it is. Hopefully Arteta gets us the Europa.

I thought by explaining that he didn’t sign Bergkamp but transfers were in the hands of Dein that season would make you have a look to see if this was fact as my word means little
But if coarse not
It’s you with that undefeated certainly
Arteta has a better win percentage than Rioch
And A trophy in the locker
I saw how getting wenger ended
With the best season and the best football the club ever played
Of course wenger was kept on too long but in you own black and white world you are either good or bad forever and god forbid there should ever be any nuance
You must be in constant torture because you so hate to be right and you are never wrong
Poor you
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:51 am

starmandb wrote:
Ach wrote:Finished fifth. Signed Bergkamp who was great for the long term and platt who was great for the short term.

I thought by explaining that he didn’t sign Bergkamp but transfers were in the hands of Dein that season would make you have a look to see if this was fact as my word means little
But if coarse not
It’s you with that undefeated certainly
Arteta has a better win percentage than Rioch
And A trophy in the locker
I saw how getting wenger ended
With the best season and the best football the club ever played
Of course wenger was kept on too long but in you own black and white world you are either good or bad forever and god forbid there should ever be any nuance
You must be in constant torture because you so hate to be right and you are never wrong
Poor you

You're super dodgy with the stats! Lol
Win percentage? Really?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:56 am

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:Recently passed Alexis Sanchez' goals total, with 31 fewer appearances and ~3000 fewer minutes.

Goes without saying that Alexis played in a much stronger team with Cazorla, peak Ozil, Ramsey and Giroud. I'm mentioning Giroud because he created a bunch of assists with his hold-up play and flicks inside the box.

Alexis is also known for his never-say-die attitude, while PEA gets flack for seeming lazy and disinterested occasionally. The numbers tell a different story. What little we have to celebrate (FA Cup, progress in EL) wouldn't be there without his efforts.

Pierre Emerick Aubameyang
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.12.12 PM.png

Alexis Sanchez
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.10.07 PM.png

How do your stats show that Auba has not been lazy?? Not least because there is a stat circulating that shows he isn't running much compared to others. How can you claim something and provide stats that show something entirely different?

It would be interesting to see his running stats game by game. See if there is a massive difference between his recent games where he has scored to games where he hasn't.

Would be interested as well, definitely felt he tried harder in the Leeds game so would expect more distance covered on top of the goal return. Not sure there should be a direct correlation between running and goals but for me the effort should be there as standard every game and goals will come and go.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:59 am

Tony Adams wrote:
starmandb wrote:

He doesn't. I looked it up. Every article I saw was Rioch makes bergkamp his first signing.

But trolls gonna troll
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:00 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Well I have to say mate having laboured under this belief since he signed investigation only seems to throw up conjecture
The belief was that dein always wanted wenger but he still had a year on his contract and would not break it
So Rioch was brought in as a stop gap and after conversations with wenger decided he would sign Bergkamp for him to work with
But I realise I am far out of my comfort zone in that grey area of hearsay so on reflection I will say that it was Rioch who signed Bergkamp
But the caveat has to be that our transfers never run smoothly after Dein left which suggests he was a huge mover and shaker in getting deals done
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club