Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 am

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Let the chumps overspend. In the meantime we can pick up bargains like Leno, Torreira and Sokratis for very reasonable prices. Its like some of you have forgotten we actually bought some decent players last season, its not difficult to do

Whilst I agree Leno, Torreira and Sokratis represent good value ... would any of them get further than the bench at any of our rivals. Maybe they will develop into world class players in a year or two but will they even be at Arsenal or will we have cashed in?

Nothing wrong with developing players, one of the many failings in the last decade was not bringing a ton of youngsters as Chelsea, City and Spuds did ... all those sides are either reaping financial rewards by selling teenagers at massive prices, or have struck lucky and found a golden nugget ... we need to get back to doing that ...

But that's not the players you win the EPL or CL with, the vast majority of any top side's starting 15 will have been bought, the more money you have the better quality you can buy .... can't repeat this often enough .... the clubs that spend the most money on transfers and salaries win almost everything ... that's just a fact of life.

To believe we can ignore this fundamental rule and get back to the top without buying the best? simply won't happen. But we're not doomed, we know what needs doing, Spuds have done it, Liverpool have done it, we can do it ... you sell your most valuable but depreciating assets and replace them with younger appreciating assets ... with luck you get to screw an RM / Barca / PSG for silly money ... you then go through a 3/4/5 years rebuilding, that's moving out ageing players and moving in younger better ones ... it takes time ...

If you have money you can try the Chelsea / Utd approach - huge stars carrying a good squad, not sure that still works - if you are backed by a Country you can use the City approach, buy two world class players for every position ...

But if like 90% of clubs your have to live within your means, then the only answer is a slow and steady rebuild ... is The Don the man? far to early to say, but if he wants to make his mark than perhaps selling Auba is one of the ways he can do that ... no risk no reward, because we all know that a 40m budget ain't getting us nowhere

We're not in a position to win the PL and get back to the top. It can't happen in one season.
Look at what has happened to our transfers - we've spent more net than most teams and that is because we've not managed to make enough money from sales. We have not been developing players and cycling the squad to keep it fresh and top level. Players are leaving for nothing or never amount to much - so no one wants them, or would only have them if they were cheap.
The way back to the top is by developing players and buying smart, not going in for players that are the finished article for a PL winning side.
Auba is a 30 year old that represents an opportunity to cash in and help build for the future.
Fans need to get it out of their heads that we are club that is in the top tier of elite teams - we're not. We need to rebuild after the mess we were left in by Wenger.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:16 am

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Zedie, if we fixed our defending which is comfortably achieveable we wouldn't miss Auba's goals, he would be replaced by a 15 goal a season striker. Net result would be a better goal difference. Cos we are not conceding ridiculous numbers of goals. Scoring goals has never been a problem with Emirates Arsenal, conceding goals has increasingly become one.

You could say that about Barca as well. Sell Messi and tighten the defense. Doesn’t work that way.

Of course it does work that way. Tightening your defence makes you more difficult to beat and helps in close/tight games. Auba is no Messi so the comparison totally loses the key point you and I are trying to make.

Replacing Messi you will be down a lot of goals, you just need to see what happened to Real when they lost Ronaldo. But you can cover 2 thirds of Auba's goals with a 15 goal a season striker. Messi scores more than double what Auba scores.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby knowledge93 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Zedie, if we fixed our defending which is comfortably achieveable we wouldn't miss Auba's goals, he would be replaced by a 15 goal a season striker. Net result would be a better goal difference. Cos we are not conceding ridiculous numbers of goals. Scoring goals has never been a problem with Emirates Arsenal, conceding goals has increasingly become one.

You could say that about Barca as well. Sell Messi and tighten the defense. Doesn’t work that way.

Of course it does work that way. Tightening your defence makes you more difficult to beat and helps in close/tight games. Auba is no Messi so the comparison totally loses the key point you and I are trying to make.

Replacing Messi you will be down a lot of goals, you just need to see what happened to Real when they lost Ronaldo. But you can cover 2 thirds of Auba's goals with a 15 goal a season striker. Messi scores more than double what Auba scores.

Who would this 15 a goal season striker be? How much would they cost in today's market?
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:12 pm

UFGN wrote:You dont sell your best player ffs

Not true for a club in our position. It's the only way to generate massive transfer funds and I'd advise against holding on to Auba if contract talks stall.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:36 am

knowledge93 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:

Who would this 15 a goal season striker be? How much would they cost in today's market?

Mate, I am not a scout!! But I can tell you as an example that bloody Glenn Murray scored 13 league goals last season and Callum Wilson scored 14. So it shouldn't be that difficult to find someone.

In La liga Jorge Molina, Jaime Mata, Charles and Raul de Tomas all scored 14 goals.

In Serie A Andrea Belotti and Ciro Immobile scored 15 goals.

In the Bundesliga Seb Haller, Yussuf Poulsen, Kevin Volland and JP Mateta scored 15 and 14 goals.

In the Eredivisie Peniel Mlapa and Steven Bergwijn scored 15 and 14 goals.

Before some t**t says I am suggesting buying Murray and/or Wilson, I am saying there are lots of players that can score in that region of goals and won't break the bank.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby weaponx57 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:47 am

Looks like he might be sold though
weaponx57
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:21 am

I think understandably we're open to huge money offers .... only 2 years on his contract we all know how this plays out if we don't sell ... get 80m reinvest it well on player(s) with a minimum 5 year shelf life not just 24 months ... it hurts but it makes good sense ... I'd even dick Utd off for 80m how did their last signing from us work out?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:37 am

EliteKiller wrote:I think understandably we're open to huge money offers .... only 2 years on his contract we all know how this plays out if we don't sell ... get 80m reinvest it well on player(s) with a minimum 5 year shelf life not just 24 months ... it hurts but it makes good sense ... I'd even dick Utd off for 80m how did their last signing from us work out?

They won the league. {EDIT: nm I forgot about dirty Sanchez.

I';m also not convinced about losing 30 goals, even for £80m. Our problems are far bigger than that sum, especially given the stupid prices being paid.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:06 am

EliteKiller wrote:I think understandably we're open to huge money offers .... only 2 years on his contract we all know how this plays out if we don't sell ... get 80m reinvest it well on player(s) with a minimum 5 year shelf life not just 24 months ... it hurts but it makes good sense ... I'd even dick Utd off for 80m how did their last signing from us work out?

All the big money deals for forwards are more or less done. Hazard, Jovic, Griezmann, Joao Felix. United just turned down a £63m offer for Lukaku because Inter wanted a 2 year loan first with obligation to buy.

Who is coming in for Auba?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:37 am

Auba ain't going nowhere its just all media bollocks yet again.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Zenith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:43 am

Nuggets wrote:Auba ain't going nowhere its just all media bollocks yet again.

I can't believe people keep falling for clickbait fairy tales like this.

It's literally just the worst of the worst British rags quoting TuttoSport, which in turn is the worst of the worst sources from Italy.

Until a semi-reliable journalist reports the same, there is no cause for concern, whatsoever.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Sims » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:13 am

People who’d rather sell Auba than Laca haven’t got a clue
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:24 am

Zenith wrote:I can't believe people keep falling for clickbait fairy tales like this.

It's literally just the worst of the worst British rags quoting TuttoSport, which in turn is the worst of the worst sources from Italy.

Until a semi-reliable journalist reports the same, there is no cause for concern, whatsoever.

Who's concerned? If someone is crazy enough to give us 80m for a 30 year old with only 24 months left on his contract I'd bite their arm off ....

The same people saying that this is crazy were the ones who said we must give a 28 year old 350k a week contracted until he's 33 ... do we never learn?

Well run clubs sell players at the top of their value - Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling, Torres, Bale, Walker, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Hazrad, Costa, Oscar all around or well over the 50m mark ...

it's only small clubs let them leave for free .... did you know that we've never even received 40m for a player, our record is still Overmars from 2001 .... that's a crushing business failure, it tells you all you need to know about the last 15 years of piss poor contract manager.

Guess that's all Kroenke's fault as well !!
Last edited by EliteKiller on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:24 am

Sims wrote:People who’d rather sell Auba than Laca haven’t got a clue
Except Auba can't play as the main striker and wing-forwards are cheaper and easier to sign.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:27 am

Sims wrote:People who’d rather sell Auba than Laca haven’t got a clue

Yeah because a 30 year old with a 2yr contract is better than a 28 year old with a 3yr contract ... yup got that
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club