Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Sims » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am

Aubaaaaaa

When do u reckon it gets announced

Tomorrow?
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 am

LMAO wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:That's the issue though, its only a valid point if he were happy to use fair comparisons.

I blew his statements on RVP scoring more goals than Auba out of the water in a multitude of angles and yet he tried to not let me use any angle bar his one highly selective and unfair angle to try and cover up that he'd lost the debate.

That is not debating, that's being a d*ckhead.

Hence why I don't respect his opinion.

You say its class because you admire him taking on all comers, but there's nothing classy about being proven wrong and your reaction is to stick your finger in your ears and deny it till the cows come home like a egotistical, insecure child.

RvP has scored 323 goals in his career Auba has scored 291 in his - so RvP has scored more goals ... not many more but factually more

so are you being classy about being proven wrong, your reaction being to stick your finger in your ears and deny it till the cows come home like an egotistical, insecure child? are you being a d*ckhead? .... just asking for a friend .....

PEA has 266 club goals at 31 according to Wikipedia. 264 by transfermarkt.

RvP had 202 club goals at 31 according to Wikipedia. 206 by transfermarkt.

Try looking at career goals - information available on any site - anyone can pick and choose the criteria "Auba scores more on a wet Wednesday" the FACT is that RvP to date has scored more professional career goals than Aubameyang ... of course Auba may overtake him he probably will but he hasn't yet ....

Remember RvP quit the EPL at the age Auba is now to go and play in a lower quality league ... even he knew that at 32+ the EPL is a tough, tough place, however good you might have been.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:Funny really, it's a perfectly valid point but people are resorting to ignoring. Jayram is class, he's standing by his point and, whether you agree or not, he's doing it in a pretty decent way.

Haven't read all 8 pages of BS since I last came on but it's pretty clear you two are on opposite sides of the fence and will never meet. Don't stop though cos it's funny as f**k.

POTM GOATram

That's the issue though, its only a valid point if he were happy to use fair comparisons.

I blew his statements on RVP scoring more goals than Auba out of the water in a multitude of angles and yet he tried to not let me use any angle bar his one highly selective and unfair angle to try and cover up that he'd lost the debate.

You say its class because you admire him taking on all comers, but there's nothing classy about being proven wrong and your reaction is to stick your finger in your ears and deny it till the cows come home like a egotistical, insecure child.

The simple fact remains that RVP at his peak was for more prolific that Auba, scoring more goals and far outperforming him also in creating goals.
It's a fact you couldn't take and went into a meltdown, blurting out insults in every other post.
So much so you still seem bitter about it.
Get over it, it's a fact that isn't going to change, no matter how much you try and convince yourself.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:07 am

Ach wrote:Lol love this thread

Has an arsenal fan ever hated winning an FA cup more than Jay has?

Ozim !!! He broke his TV when we won, I am pretty sure of it. suicide watch is still taking place.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am

Santi wrote:Funny really, it's a perfectly valid point but people are resorting to ignoring. Jayram is class, he's standing by his point and, whether you agree or not, he's doing it in a pretty decent way.

Haven't read all 8 pages of BS since I last came on but it's pretty clear you two are on opposite sides of the fence and will never meet. Don't stop though cos it's funny as f**k.

POTM GOATram

Oh shit, I was about to say the exact same thing !!!! No matter how much people try they are simply unable to dent Jayram's argument - and I see and accept both sides of the argument, even though I don't align with what Jayram is saying. his is a minority point of view but argued so well the majority cannot make inroads into it, its freekin hilarious. Jayram vs everyone else ...... and absolutely holding his own :clap: :hail:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:16 am

Anyone that says Auba is a "better player" than RVP is saying so just to make their argument seem more valid. There is absolutely no way on earth Auba is even close to RVP regarding ability, you lot are taking the piss. Auba is a world class finisher, he can put the ball in the back of the net better than most and his numbers prove it - HOWEVER - lets not get carried away. RVP could do things Auba could only dream about doing, when it comes to ability, RVP was next level.

At the job Auba is paid to do he is phenomenal, but the rest of his game sucks.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 am

theHotHead wrote:

POTM GOATram

Oh shit, I was about to say the exact same thing !!!! No matter how much people try they are simply unable to dent Jayram's argument - and I see and accept both sides of the argument, even though I don't align with what Jayram is saying. his is a minority point of view but argued so well the majority cannot make inroads into it, its freekin hilarious. Jayram vs everyone else ...... and absolutely holding his own :clap: :hail:

I don’t understand how?? How is Auba not one of our most prolific ever goalscorers? You look at the stats and it’s all there. There isn’t an argument to be had. It’s factual. There isn’t even any ambiguity. He didn’t like me backing the Auba deal so clutches at some straws by going back 90 years to find that there were 5 players with (league only) better ratios. I never used the word highest goalscorer, I mean that’s pretty obvious, yet he’s trying to disprove that Auba is our highest goalscorer. Of course he’s not. No one said that.

He picks silly arguments with everyone, but relentlessly fact checks and finds something ambiguous to support what he’s saying. I credit the guy for his passion to win an argument - he should be a politician. But he’s arguing against a point no one made, having been proven wrong. I even included an article showing Auba as the most prolific scorer since 2000. I couldn’t find one that goes back to the 1930’s unfortunately. Not that it matters. If I wanted to use language such as “is our highest ever goalscorer”, “is our most prolific goalscorer” then I probably would have fact checked before. Reality is I didn’t need to, because I knew, and still know that he has one of the best games to goal ratio for arsenal. Ever. It’s pointless arguing against that because it’s true. But I keep coming back on here (admittedly irritated by his trolling) to clarify, and reclarify the original point... which remains true. And unless he goes on a massive barren run next year (if he stays) it will be true in the future. It’s a simple as that.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby FrustratedGooner » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 am

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

POTM GOATram

That's the issue though, its only a valid point if he were happy to use fair comparisons.

The simple fact remains that RVP at his peak was for more prolific that Auba, scoring more goals and far outperforming him also in creating goals.
It's a fact you couldn't take and went into a meltdown, blurting out insults in every other post.
Get over it, it's a fact that isn't going to change, no matter how much you try and convince yourself.

I think you are both just talking about different things.

Auba is a great goalscoer and very prolific but he is not the greatest or one of the greatest just because greatest is subjective to opinion. You have to actually specify what you are refearing to.

1) Total goals scored at Arsenal
2) Total goals scored career
3) Longest time at Arsenal
4) Goals per game at Arsenal
5) Goals per game career
6) Trophies at Arsenal
7) Trophies career

Even if you add all those together to get your greatest its still going to be subjective to opinion when you consider things like what era the players were playing in. You can argue that players' ability, in general, were much worse off 50 years ago and how the standards is much better now on fitness training etc. You have to consider what teams and managers they played with. Realistically you can never actually judge how good each player would be unless you are able to literally shove one in a team from 2004 and the other in a team from 2020. Its never going to happen. Just so I stress this now I am not saying you can't tell who is a bad player and a good player its more about TRUE comparisons.

Just to add my subjective opinion to the matter Auba is currently on £180,000 a week I would give him a new contract but with actual conditions in place to stop an Ozil situation. give him another 40k and the rest will have to be made up from goal bonuses etc. In the current climate, I don't think we can afford to replace him as other areas of the team need improvement.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:57 am

jayram is "class"
:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
:rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

:icon_party:
:icon_goal2:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby hs6bx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:01 am

FrustratedGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

POTM GOATram

I think you are both just talking about different things.

Auba is a great goalscoer and very prolific but he is not the greatest or one of the greatest just because greatest is subjective to opinion. You have to actually specify what you are refearing to.

1) Total goals scored at Arsenal
2) Total goals scored career
3) Longest time at Arsenal
4) Goals per game at Arsenal
5) Goals per game career
6) Trophies at Arsenal
7) Trophies career

Even if you add all those together to get your greatest its still going to be subjective to opinion when you consider things like what era the players were playing in. You can argue that players' ability, in general, were much worse off 50 years ago and how the standards is much better now on fitness training etc. You have to consider what teams and managers they played with. Realistically you can never actually judge how good each player would be unless you are able to literally shove one in a team from 2004 and the other in a team from 2020. Its never going to happen. Just so I stress this now I am not saying you can't tell who is a bad player and a good player its more about TRUE comparisons.

Just to add my subjective opinion to the matter Auba is currently on £180,000 a week I would give him a new contract but with actual conditions in place to stop an Ozil situation. give him another 40k and the rest will have to be made up from goal bonuses etc. In the current climate, I don't think we can afford to replace him as other areas of the team need improvement.

You are absolutely correct my friend. Glad someone has arrived talking sense. The thing is - I was very clearly talking about goals to games ratio at arsenal. As I stated multiple times. I also wasn’t arguing against any of jayrams claims. He was arguing against mine and trying to disprove something that can’t be disproved... because it’s true. He just doesn’t like Auba for some reason. I’m not sure what the real reason is.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby starmandb » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:07 am

jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:Currently, he’s one of arsenals most prolific ever goal scorers. That is fact. I can’t just magic him up another 5 seasons so let’s squash that argument.

Is he the most prolific player in the prem? Yes. So regardless of whether 22 goals impresses you, he is performing better than any other player in terms of goals since arriving at arsenal, who currently are as poor a team as we’ve been in 25 years.

Just so we are clear, that includes Aguero, Kane, Salah, Vardy, Rashford. Not sure what the issue is here. He’s doing his job better than anyone else in the league and you want to get rid of him. Clubs pay their best players more money - they get better results consistently. That’s how it works. The age thing Is so irrelevant if someone is still performing. In fact, it would have been a bigger risk offering RvP a new big contract given his injury record. So what’s the risk? That he will lose a yard of pace, that he’ll forget to finish? Vardy is 33 and was top goalscorer in the league. I just can’t see in what world a supporter of this club would want to show him the door!?

No, currently he is not one of Arsenal's most prolific ever goal scorers either. You can't compare 2 and half seasons over a full career at a club.
Many strikers in our history have had far more prolific 2 and half year periods for us.

The reason I do not want him to stay is that he is 31, a contract hold out going into his final year and will cost 250k a week if he does stay.
It's not much more complicated than that.

I have already said several times he is a very good goal scorer, it's just he doesn't stack up to many strikers we have had in the past.[/quote)
Can you list the 2 and a half year periods where an arsenal player has scored 70 goals so that we can examine it to see how a current arsenal player fares please. I only go back to radford for players that i saw
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:11 am

Callum wrote:Also, jayram, did you even enjoy Aubameyang's goals on Saturday? I don't think I've seen you once credit Aubameyang for scoring two goals to win us the cup, and have instead dedicated numerous posts and hundreds of words on discrediting him.

Was part of you upset when he chipped the winner over Caballero?

He did credit aubamayang for both his goals on Saturday
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:22 am

jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:I can’t believe you hate this guy so much for bringing our club success. Sooooo much evidence of him being the most prolific goalscorer in the league and one of our most prolific ever strikers it’s all there. You keep going back to strikers with worse goals / games ratios. I can’t magic him up another 5 seasons. We can only base it on 2 1/2. If I wanted to say he was our highest ever goalscorer I’d have used the word highest. Different words. Different meanings.

So far you’ve had to go back to a different millennium to try prove me wrong and gratify your own ego. How much time per day do you spend trawling the internet for data so that you can try to “prove” an argument?

Yes, shock horror, I went back through our FULL history because YOU claimed he was one of the greatest ever goal scorers we've had. What period did you mean by 'greatest ever'?????

He's also not one of the most prolific ever strikers either. Unless you include a lot of players in that category. Over the same period of time you will find several Arsenal strikers who have been more prolific.

What I can agree with is he is a very good goal scorer and one of the best in the PL right now. The superlatives you are using, though, about greatest ever or most prolific ever are simply not warranted. If you have to use such hyperbole in an argument about whether we should pay him 250k a week, it tells me the substance of your argument is not strong.

So far, the only argument that has ever been made for keeping Auba, paying a 31 yr old 250k a week, is that he scores 22 goals a season. To me that's not worth it.

Your point about paying 250 grand a week for aubameyang at 31 is well documented and you present a rounded view as to why you believe it is wrong to do so. However to make it as though some peoples arguments have not been given similar thought as to reasons why he should stay flys in the face of reasonings of many people who believe he should stay.
Its not like some moonman has come down ranting nonsense. It is an issue of the moment that many are talking about
starmandb

Postby hs6bx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:25 am

starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:Currently, he’s one of arsenals most prolific ever goal scorers. That is fact. I can’t just magic him up another 5 seasons so let’s squash that argument.

Is he the most prolific player in the prem? Yes. So regardless of whether 22 goals impresses you, he is performing better than any other player in terms of goals since arriving at arsenal, who currently are as poor a team as we’ve been in 25 years.

Just so we are clear, that includes Aguero, Kane, Salah, Vardy, Rashford. Not sure what the issue is here. He’s doing his job better than anyone else in the league and you want to get rid of him. Clubs pay their best players more money - they get better results consistently. That’s how it works. The age thing Is so irrelevant if someone is still performing. In fact, it would have been a bigger risk offering RvP a new big contract given his injury record. So what’s the risk? That he will lose a yard of pace, that he’ll forget to finish? Vardy is 33 and was top goalscorer in the league. I just can’t see in what world a supporter of this club would want to show him the door!?

No, currently he is not one of Arsenal's most prolific ever goal scorers either. You can't compare 2 and half seasons over a full career at a club.
Many strikers in our history have had far more prolific 2 and half year periods for us.

The reason I do not want him to stay is that he is 31, a contract hold out going into his final year and will cost 250k a week if he does stay.
It's not much more complicated than that.

I have already said several times he is a very good goal scorer, it's just he doesn't stack up to many strikers we have had in the past.[/quote)
Can you list the 2 and a half year periods where an arsenal player has scored 70 goals so that we can examine it to see how a current arsenal player fares please. I only go back to radford for players that i saw

I’ve already asked for that mate. Not been backed up at all because it’s not true
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Sims » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 am

There are no good available strikers in the market

Auba’s 300k p/w deal which includes bonuses will work out cheaper than buying someone, their agent fees & wages whilst selling him - and there’s no guarantee that said player will come close to his goal tally

No brainer for me

Can’t wait for a wall of text to reply to this
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club