Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:25 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Jayram makes some valid points although he seems obsessed with the number 22 forgetting all comps where pea led us to a trophy. Pea is averaging 30 goals a season over the last two..

Ings is at 17 for the last two seasons

Vardy is on 20.5 for the last two seasons

The league is the only consistent competition they played in.
Cups they play varying numbers of games and 11 of Auba's goals in those two years came in the Europa League.
Comparing in him that competition, he has the same as Giroud over the last 2 years.
Jota of Wolves scored more than him in that competion this year.

I am not underplaying the fact that Auba scores goals, he just doesn't score an amount that is particularly exceptional in the League, which is what i care about the most.

Whilst that is a valid point if you are comparing players, I still feel you neglect the fact pea scored 29 goals this seaosn, extra goals led us to a trophy.

If you want to compare just the pl then ings is nowhere near pea over the last two seasons.

Comparing pea to vardy pea has more goals and a slightly better goal to game ratio in the PL over the last two seasons.

Assessing most of his goals they come from him being in a cf position, if he wasn't out wide half the time I think he would score more imo, maybe I am wrong but I would like to see it.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Santi wrote:Come on Jayram, don't u get it ffs, we sell Auba and we lose his goals immediately and actually retrospectively get relegated for this season!

(might as well join the sarcastic hyperbolic train the rest of these clowns are riding)

The argument for giving Auba a new contract does seem to be rooted in the fear of the team not being able to score as many goals. That's the problem - that fear is driving the debate for keeping him, when in my view it should not. I am most interested in the team getting much better, not holding what we have because we're afraid we'll get worse. I have yet to see many arguments that with Auba we'll get better, and that is my issue.

To be fair there have been a couple that have talked about the natural progression of some of the players we have (around Auba) that will make us progress and get better, and I do concede that point, but I'd be interested in a much more reasoned discussion about that. If we keep Auba, what else are we doing that makes us better? Much better. because righ tnow - WITH him - we're falling down the league. It's not logical, to me at least, to assume that we HAVE to give Auba 250k PLUS a week because we might get worse if we don't. That's just plain negative and not a good debating position when relating to a 31yr old in the squad. He's going to be gone soon anyway - then what?

If he was younger, then it's different because there would be some potential to squeeze even more out of what he is doing whilst we take more time to grow in other areas to improve.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Jayram makes some valid points although he seems obsessed with the number 22 forgetting all comps where pea led us to a trophy. Pea is averaging 30 goals a season over the last two..

Cups they play varying numbers of games and 11 of Auba's goals in those two years came in the Europa League.
Comparing in him that competition, he has the same as Giroud over the last 2 years.

I am not underplaying the fact that Auba scores goals, he just doesn't score an amount that is particularly exceptional in the League, which is what i care about the most.

Whilst that is a valid point if you are comparing players, I still feel you neglect the fact pea scored 29 goals this seaosn, extra goals led us to a trophy.

If you want to compare just the pl then ings is nowhere near pea over the last two seasons.

Comparing pea to vardy pea has more goals and a slightly better goal to game ratio in the PL over the last two seasons.

Assessing most of his goals they come from him being in a cf position, if he wasn't out wide half the time I think he would score more imo, maybe I am wrong but I would like to see it.

Sure - and again I am not saying that Auba is not a good goalscorer - he most definately is.. and I have referenced why i think that is (he's IMO one of the very best at finding himself pocket of space in dangerous positions that create for himself the opportunities).

My point is that the goals return is not exceptional - and that is what I would expect if we are paying a 31yr old 250k PLUS a week.
You said it yourself - he's 'slightly better' than Jamie Vardy over 2 seasons. I certainly would not want us to pay Vardy 250k per week, or even 100k per week for that matter.

We could keep comparing - for example Kane and Aguero have actually got BETTER goals per game rates in the PL than Auba over the last 2 years, but have less goals simply due to injuries and playing less games - but it's more about what I consider Auba's actual goal output and overall contribution to the team vs the size of the contract and our need to rebuild for the future.

As for overall goals - league plus cups - I am not underplaying his addiitonal 7 goals either this season, it's just difficult to use cup competitions for comparisons with other players because of games played and and varying opposition . The PL is a good consistent measure for comparing players because they play the same clubs other clubs over the same games over the same period).

Not saying at all that Auba's 4 FA Cup goals - for example - were not great against 2 top sides.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:53 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Sure - and again I am not saying that Auba is not a good goalscorer - he most definately is.. and I have referenced why i think that is (he's IMO one of the very best at finding himself pocket of space in dangerous positions that create for himself the opportunities).

My point is that the goals return is not exceptional - and that is what I would expect if we are paying a 31yr old 250k PLUS a week.
You said it yourself - he's 'slightly better' than Jamie Vardy over 2 seasons.

We could keep comparing - for example Kane and Aguero have actually got BETTER goals per game rates in the PL than Auba over the last 2 years, but have less goals simply due to injuries and playing less games.

As for overall goals - league plus cups - I am not underplaying his addiitonal 7 goals either, it's just difficult to use cup competitions for comparisons with other players because of games played and and varying opposition . The PL is a good consistent measure for comparing players because they play the same clubs other clubs over the same games over the same period).

Not saying at all that Auba's 4 FA Cup goals - for example - were not great against 2 top sides.

I actually agree that 22 goals whilst very good isn't out of this world it hasn't been bettered on many occasions but I feel pea has more goals in him, maybe I am wrong but I feel if he was a cf that could have a kind of free role to roam across the front line to explore space he would be able to get more goals than he currently has.

A bit like what Henry use to do if my memory serves me right.

The team has also lacked creativity if this was the line up I would be confident he would score more.

Pea

Coutinho ozil pepe
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You said it yourself - he's 'slightly better' than Jamie Vardy over 2 seasons.

We could keep comparing - for example Kane and Aguero have actually got BETTER goals per game rates in the PL than Auba over the last 2 years, but have less goals simply due to injuries and playing less games.

As for overall goals - league plus cups - I am not underplaying his addiitonal 7 goals either, it's just difficult to use cup competitions for comparisons with other players because of games played and and varying opposition . The PL is a good consistent measure for comparing players because they play the same clubs other clubs over the same games over the same period).

I actually agree that 22 goals whilst very good isn't out of this world it hasn't been bettered on many occasions but I feel pea has more goals in him, maybe I am wrong but I feel if he was a cf that could have a kind of free role to roam across the front line to explore space he would be able to get more goals than he currently has.

A bit like what Henry use to do if my memory serves me right.

The team has also lacked creativity if this was the line up I would be confident he would score more.

Pea

Coutinho ozil pepe

On the CF argument, there is some data that shows Auba scores less when starting centrally, being more productive when he is wider and cuts in, but I will concede it is limited data for the PL.

Whether he could score more up front remains somewhat of a speculation, but the one thing I would woryy about is his ability to hold the ball against CB's and bring others into play. I think Laca does that much better.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StockGooner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm

In fairness to you Jay, you have handled arguments well, but what I sturggle with is the constant jibes in matchday games and, it feels like you've drawn a line in the sand and will not be turned to another opinion, instead you dig in deeper. But testament as once in a discussion there is reason for your thoughts. the more the season progressed and goals Auba got, you seemed to dig in more and say he wasn't any good, or saying we could do better, by starting Nketiah over Auba for finishing, when there are other qualities for a striker, such as getting in the space to have a go in the first place where Auba far exceeds Nketiah at present.

What I'd be interested in knowing is who would we would get instead. If we were to offer Auba £250k per week for three years, that would cost us £39m. If we say his resale value this summer is £30m (Reasonable enough?) we would have a saving of £69m to spend on a transfer fee and salary.

My question would be who you would get for that money on a 3 year contract. I think we'd be looking at at least £50m or so, but let's say £40m on a transfer and £185k in wages. Who are we getting for that? Realistically? And genuine question as I wouldn't know world football fees and wages now
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:21 pm

He's like Henry, many of Henry's goals came when he drifted out wide and ran at people or made a run in behind from out wide.

Bergkamp was genius because he was a #10 but when Henry drifted out wide, Bergkamp would push up to be the main striker and actually played well with his back to goal. Obviously that wasn't the best aspect of Bergkamp's game but he adapted when playing alongside Henry.

My worry is that if Auba plays as the main striker next season he'll still drift out wide and there will be nobody in the box.

Its a bit like when Wenger played Podolski as a target man even though all his best performances were as a LWF and said he played him there because he's a goalscorer. Not all goalscorers are suited to being the main striker, especially with only one central striker.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:38 pm

StockGooner wrote:In fairness to you Jay, you have handled arguments well, but what I sturggle with is the constant jibes in matchday games and, it feels like you've drawn a line in the sand and will not be turned to another opinion, instead you dig in deeper. But testament as once in a discussion there is reason for your thoughts. the more the season progressed and goals Auba got, you seemed to dig in more and say he wasn't any good, or saying we could do better, by starting Nketiah over Auba for finishing, when there are other qualities for a striker, such as getting in the space to have a go in the first place where Auba far exceeds Nketiah at present.

What I'd be interested in knowing is who would we would get instead. If we were to offer Auba £250k per week for three years, that would cost us £39m. If we say his resale value this summer is £30m (Reasonable enough?) we would have a saving of £69m to spend on a transfer fee and salary.

My question would be who you would get for that money on a 3 year contract. I think we'd be looking at at least £50m or so, but let's say £40m on a transfer and £185k in wages. Who are we getting for that? Realistically? And genuine question as I wouldn't know world football fees and wages now

This is a good question considering Tony Adams has said Arsenal's scouting department that took 40 years to build up has been destroyed. I highly doubt Kia has access to the same markets.
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:44 pm

StockGooner wrote:In fairness to you Jay, you have handled arguments well, but what I sturggle with is the constant jibes in matchday games and, it feels like you've drawn a line in the sand and will not be turned to another opinion, instead you dig in deeper. But testament as once in a discussion there is reason for your thoughts. the more the season progressed and goals Auba got, you seemed to dig in more and say he wasn't any good, or saying we could do better, by starting Nketiah over Auba for finishing, when there are other qualities for a striker, such as getting in the space to have a go in the first place where Auba far exceeds Nketiah at present.

OK, so a couple of things.

I am an Arsenal fan with years of going to games up until around 2010 - when I had just had enough of Wenger and was pretty vocal about it online (BBC 606 - ah them were the days) . During a game, I kick every ball - just like I did in the stands at Highbury and even the boredom of the Emirates. Auba frsutrates the hell out of me in-game - I was the same with Ian Wright back in the day, never really wanted him gone, though, and I also loved the guys passion and football was a whole lot different then, with far less of a value equation in terms of 250k per week.

In game I will comment about the game and also sometimes comment more broadly on a player - Auba is not someone I have called crap overall. He's a good goalscorer. I do however think his finishing is not good. Now, that DOES NOT mean he can't pop up with a worldy of a finish - he can and if he does I will say so - but my definition of a finisher is one that doesn't miss many big opportunities to score. Auba missed so many last year it was really galling and it formed a lot of my opinion about him - but I have said he got better this year (he did).

The Nketiah discussion has become somewhat interlinked with Auba. It's used as a bit of a deflection to the actual debate on whether auba is worth a 250k a week contract at 31. I don;t think I have ever suggested that Nketiah woul djust replace him. I see a lot of potential and I want to see him have minutes. I actually do think he is a better finisher than Auba, because that is something I don't rate Auba very high on. (not a better goalscorer - Nketiah is just potential right now, and as you have pointed out - something I have too - the one area where I think Auba is world class is in finding the opportunities to score). The comment about giving Nketiah a start came at a period where Auba was drifting.

Generally, i would take in game comments in the spirit of "FFS we have to win ths game you &&&^%*& idiot". You'll find it ramps up a bit when we play Spurs :)

EDIT : oh, I forgot - who would I replace Auba with. Well, probably not like for like, but even if we decided to go down that route, which specific player is always hard to answer. Clubs like Liverpool brought in Salah for, I believe, 36m. I have actually named some other players that i think could do a great job for us up front, like Edouard, who we could get for 25m, but there are no guarantees - you'd hope that our scouting network would be casting a much wider net than I can and be aware of the Salah's of the world before we are.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:54 pm

King of Highbury XIV wrote:

This is a good question considering Tony Adams has said Arsenal's scouting department that took 40 years to build up has been destroyed. I highly doubt Kia has access to the same markets.

There was an interesting article on a site I won't link (because I think it talks crap most of the time) that provided a little more insight into the scaling back of scouts. Arsenal are pressing ahead with technology, partnering with PlayerMaker (part owned by Wenger). the tech does away with the need to watch players live in stadium, for example.. a video is plenty for pre screening and then the tech (with very detailed statistics, interpreted by AI, on the performance) provides the assessment. It's very tech focused with a touch of 'Moneyball' about it.
Whether that is the right way to go or not is another question, but it may explain, as the atricle posited, why we feel less reliant on scouting numbers.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby gooney » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:58 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

There was an interesting article on a site I won't link (because I think it talks crap most of the time) that provided a little more insight into the scaling back of scouts. Arsenal are pressing ahead with technology, partnering with PlayerMaker (part owned by Wenger). the tech does away with the need to watch players live in stadium, for example.. a video is plenty with very detailed statistics on the performance. It's very tech focused with a touch of 'Moneyball' about it.

You can’t beat watching someone in the stadium and getting the feel for it in real life. Statistically el nenny looks great in his passing %, amount of space he covers and balls he wins back just like torreira
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 pm

gooney wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

There was an interesting article on a site I won't link (because I think it talks crap most of the time) that provided a little more insight into the scaling back of scouts. Arsenal are pressing ahead with technology, partnering with PlayerMaker (part owned by Wenger). the tech does away with the need to watch players live in stadium, for example.. a video is plenty with very detailed statistics on the performance. It's very tech focused with a touch of 'Moneyball' about it.

You can’t beat watching someone in the stadium and getting the feel for it in real life. Statistically el nenny looks great in his passing %, amount of space he covers and balls he wins back just like torreira

i wouldn;t disagree with you on that - generally i feel the same way. Just pointing out what I thought was an interesting take.
The data and Ai is far more in depth than pass %. Having looked into it after reading the article it is a pretty comprehensive solution for assessing what a players capabilities are.

Here is a link if you are interested to learn more about it:
https://playermaker.com/
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Yup. FA cup semi final perfect example. Scored 2 goals. All jay went on about was the miss at 0-0. The final was the same as was game v Watford.

He makes valid points about offering that much to a player at that age but it comes from a place of hatred. He doesn't give a shit about the money. Neither do I. Why would we? We're fans. I just want the best players and he's the best striker in the country since he's been here and there's no one else I'd want ahead of him bar the big 2. Messi and Ronaldo which will never happen

He changed goalposts on the nketiah thing from saying he's better to he's better at 21 than auba was. I don't know nor care how auba was at 21. Doubt many do.

He goes out of his way to criticise auba and when called up on it he will move goal posts yet again. Hothead and Santi have fallen for it hook line and sinker.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:12 pm

Ach wrote:

Yup. FA cup semi final perfect example. Scored 2 goals. All jay went on about was the miss at 0-0. The final was the same as was game v Watford.

He makes valid points about offering that much to a player at that age but it comes from a place of hatred. He doesn't give a shit about the money. Neither do I. Why would we? We're fans. I just want the best players and he's the best striker in the country since he's been here and there's no one else I'd want ahead of him bar the big 2. Messi and Ronaldo which will never happen

He changed goalposts on the nketiah thing from saying he's better to he's better at 21 than auba was. I don't know nor care how auba was at 21. Doubt many do.

He goes out of his way to criticise auba and when called up on it he will move goal posts yet again. Hothead and Santi have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

Simply not true - I was actually full of praise for Auba in the FA Cup final.
I also never said Nketiah was better than Auba - again simply not true.
I did say he is a better finisher and also better than Auba was at the same age - 2 things I will stand by.

The problem you have is your emotional reaction to things I say that lead you interpret what I say incorrectly. You will then use those falsehoods to build an argument, which is why they crumble so quickly. Also, you in particular are so emotional about it, you actually started to slate Nketiah, going totally over the top on him (A young Arsenal kid right at the start of his career breaking into our first team), all because of my opinion of Nketiah and Auba. That's been palpably obvious. You've literally tied your reaction to Nketiah to your hatred of my opinion of Auba. If you think that is not pretty obvious you are mistaken - one only needs to look at your posting history on Nketiah.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby hs6bx » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:13 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
hs6bx wrote:Anyone else notice how a certain person’s argument has shifted from...

“Sell Auba and get a younger better striker with a resale value like Werner with the £75 (made up figure)”

To...(After being shot down by DG and Highbury King on simple financial semantics)

“We can reinvest in other areas of the team and score more Overall goals As a team”

And then, after bashing Auba for an “unimpressive” 22 goals this season (above Aguero, Kane and Salah), he then pulls up stats from multiple previous seasons highlighting that our top scorers scored from 14, 16 goals etc!! Yet still... 22 goals in a league season isn’t enough for this guy. Jeeeesus

JayRam ........ moving goal posts? ......... I don't believe it.

:tumbleweed:

That's all he does, he doesn't win debates he just changes the narrative every time he gets cornered, its just childish and a sign of insecurity issues.

themessiah wrote:Tbf to jayram he is just saying it better for us to spread the goals around then just one person scoring most of them.

.............. actually as hs6bx pointed out, he's not.

He's only been saying that for a few pages since his other argument about us spending £75m we don't have on a new Striker got shot down.

I’ve got a sofa inside his head mate. Feel free to come sit down any time for some light entertainment.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club