Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (14)

Postby billie86 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
billie86 wrote:Auba can't play with his back to goal and in this system he needs to, you watch him against man united, when we were in the final third he shows nothing, he just hides away from the ball and this basically ends up with us playing with a man down when attacking. Auba had around 10 less touches than all of the other attackers on the pitch which is shocking when you consider the likes of rashford and smith Rowe were quiet for most of the game.
I watched the west ham v Chelsea game yesterday and if you watch Antonio he's so involved in the game, he comes to feet, lays it off then busts a gut to get into a good position in the middle, he challenges defenders physically in and is a nuisance, what I would give to have him starting for us.

The question is, how do you set up to play when you don't have a front line built to play with a target man striker? If you looks at Liverpool, City and Man Utd, they haven't been playing with a target man striker that has his back to goal. How does Arteta want us to attack? Most goals are coming from working the wide areas, creating overloads and switching play quickly. The idea of a target man like how we played with Giroud under Wenger seems ancient to me. That style had it's own set of problems because we ended up playing in front of the opposition for long periods without actually being a threat.

Well united are struggling, Liverpool and city's front 3 all seem to interchange positions and come in field more than our wingers, you see mane and Jota looking like they are playing centrally then the next attack they are out wide,
they also have runners from central midfield creating space but every one of their forward players are technically good and can beat a man or play a ball through. We just don't have the movement and part of that for me is Auba not being involved, another is no runners from midfield, we also don't overload the wingbacks as much, we do it more on the left but not so much on the right. You look at where Trent plays for Liverpool and he's in the final 3rd every time Liverpool attack. The fix starts with getting a striker who can play with his back to goal but is also quick enough to get in behind, they would also need to a physical player who can win headers, Antonio at west ham is a prime example of what we need in this system, getting someone like that in solves a lot our our attacking problems, the next would be getting more dynamic midfielders in the middle, a bissouma or Zakaria would be ideal. In response to your question at present I would try lacazette instead of Auba in the central role, I would play Tierney left back and put Tavares on the wing, I would then put ESR back in the number 10 role.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:03 pm

I agree, our style requires a focal point up front that can play with his back to goal then turn and burst into the box to get on the end of crosses.

As DG said, at the moment we are trying to put square pegs in round holes, we are playing a system our players are not suited to.

I would much rather we find a solution that suits the players we have and then work toward whatever goal it is Arteta has. But this bullshucks we are seeing will get us nowhere.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:25 pm

billie86 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
billie86 wrote:Auba can't play with his back to goal and in this system he needs to, you watch him against man united, when we were in the final third he shows nothing, he just hides away from the ball and this basically ends up with us playing with a man down when attacking. Auba had around 10 less touches than all of the other attackers on the pitch which is shocking when you consider the likes of rashford and smith Rowe were quiet for most of the game.
I watched the west ham v Chelsea game yesterday and if you watch Antonio he's so involved in the game, he comes to feet, lays it off then busts a gut to get into a good position in the middle, he challenges defenders physically in and is a nuisance, what I would give to have him starting for us.

The question is, how do you set up to play when you don't have a front line built to play with a target man striker? If you looks at Liverpool, City and Man Utd, they haven't been playing with a target man striker that has his back to goal. How does Arteta want us to attack? Most goals are coming from working the wide areas, creating overloads and switching play quickly. The idea of a target man like how we played with Giroud under Wenger seems ancient to me. That style had it's own set of problems because we ended up playing in front of the opposition for long periods without actually being a threat.

Well united are struggling, Liverpool and city's front 3 all seem to interchange positions and come in field more than our wingers, you see mane and Jota looking like they are playing centrally then the next attack they are out wide,
they also have runners from central midfield creating space but every one of their forward players are technically good and can beat a man or play a ball through. We just don't have the movement and part of that for me is Auba not being involved, another is no runners from midfield, we also don't overload the wingbacks as much, we do it more on the left but not so much on the right. You look at where Trent plays for Liverpool and he's in the final 3rd every time Liverpool attack. The fix starts with getting a striker who can play with his back to goal but is also quick enough to get in behind, they would also need to a physical player who can win headers, Antonio at west ham is a prime example of what we need in this system, getting someone like that in solves a lot our our attacking problems, the next would be getting more dynamic midfielders in the middle, a bissouma or Zakaria would be ideal. In response to your question at present I would try lacazette instead of Auba in the central role, I would play Tierney left back and put Tavares on the wing, I would then put ESR back in the number 10 role.

It comes back to how the manager expects us to attack. Yes, Man Utd are struggling but City and Liverpool are the last two Prem Champions and neither play with a target man. Changing the striker won't automatically fix our problems. We tried Lacazette their last season, he's tried Nketiah and he's even tried Willian and ESR as false 9s. Central midfield still needs a lot of work and I can't see ESR and Saka carrying us through the season scoring the type of goals Mane, Salah and Silva score.

It's odd that Arteta has learned under Pep but hasn't really adapted his attacking style here. Yes, City have way better players than us but Pep doesn’t use a target man striker. Yesterday Pep tried Grealish as the false 9 and he'll continue to rotate that sort of player throughout the season. With Arteta we have bounced around from trying a target man in Laca, to a classic 9 in Auba and he has tried playing Willian and ESR as false 9s. There isn't any consistency to what he's doing up front and I also think that's down to having a really poor midfield behind the attack. We need to address that connection issue behind the attack first. It's hard to say what type of striker we need in this system because we still haven’t got a style of play rooted. There is still no foundation of how we're supposed to attack or how Arteta wants us to attack.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:11 pm

It is not working because this team is built around Auba, and he's failing.
Laca has his mind set elsewhere , so unless we replace these two and their 170 odd goals, we will struggle for goals. Can't imagine 'pool doing great with Salah/ Mane misfiring for long periods. MC has cornered 5 world class ( probably best?) midfielders, so they aren't dependent on strikers so much.
Our search for a quality CM hasn't worked so far. It is never easy when two three super rich teams horde all top quality game makers. You're forced to look inwards or build from within , which comes w/ some pain, hits and misses.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:50 pm

theHotHead wrote:I agree, our style requires a focal point up front that can play with his back to goal then turn and burst into the box to get on the end of crosses.

As DG said, at the moment we are trying to put square pegs in round holes, we are playing a system our players are not suited to.

I would much rather we find a solution that suits the players we have and then work toward whatever goal it is Arteta has. But this bullshucks we are seeing will get us nowhere.

I would much rather we continued to offload players and bring in new ones - instead of pretending there is a magic fix to make the players, that have stunk up the joint for too long, good enough.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 pm

ag6789 wrote:It is not working because this team is built around Auba, and he's failing.
Laca has his mind set elsewhere , so unless we replace these two and their 170 odd goals, we will struggle for goals. Can't imagine 'pool doing great with Salah/ Mane misfiring for long periods. MC has cornered 5 world class ( probably best?) midfielders, so they aren't dependent on strikers so much.
Our search for a quality CM hasn't worked so far. It is never easy when two three super rich teams horde all top quality game makers. You're forced to look inwards or build from within , which comes w/ some pain, hits and misses.

The team hasn't been built around Auba. If that were the case there wouldn't be a need to adapt his game to suit this current system. Whatever that is. If it were built around Auba he'd be able to hang off the shoulder of defenders whilst the team would keep providing the chances. That's not happening and it's only this season where Arteta has decided to play him through the middle. He's been played down the left for most of Arteta's tenure and he's trying to make do of a player he inherited, which is true for the majority of the players here. There isn't a clear plan for any of the attackers at the moment because none or them, including Saka and ESR have really established where they should play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:59 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I agree, our style requires a focal point up front that can play with his back to goal then turn and burst into the box to get on the end of crosses.

I would much rather we continued to offload players and bring in new ones - instead of pretending there is a magic fix to make the players, that have stunk up the joint for too long, good enough.

That's because your manager has crushed the confidence of what was our most in form striker.

Admitted, he should be doing better, some of his misses are inexcusable, but strikers live and breath on form and this role for Auba is sucking the form right out of him.

Its the system that's not creating enough chances to fall to Auba, Arteta needs to change it because we don't have one proper CF at the club, we'd need a Lukaku or an Antonio for that type of role.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:03 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Needless to say I would not, thats shoddy managing. We should be playing much better than we are, until the manager can prove he is not doing trial and error and a scattergun approach to management he should not get the chance to change the squad. We have perfectly good players losing value because Arteta has a very limited skillset.

The players stink up the place because the manager doesn't have a Danny about how to set up a team from back to front, he is clueless from midfield up! Hence why playing shit and scraping victories against teams we should be beating never should have been a barometer of our success.

Saka is a shell of the player, Auba is a shell of a player, Laca is a shell of the player, Partey looks like he was plucked from Sunday League, Pepe is deemed not good enough, Odegaard is lost at sea, we are a freekin shambles!

Its all on the manager and his stupid decisions.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:08 pm

^ Exactly.

This moment that we're in is exactly why you need a good manager, to look at the issues and fix them.

That would get us back on track, Arteta just makes things worse, benches Laca, plays Auba as a CF, brings on Odegaard with no proper CF to play to and on and on.

4th was right there, we're missing out on top 4 because of Arteta's shtty management ideas.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:12 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:^ Exactly.

This moment that we're in is exactly why you need a good manager, to look at the issues and fix them.

That would get us back on track, Arteta just makes things worse, benches Laca, plays Auba as a CF, brings on Odegaard with no proper CF to play to and on and on.

4th was right there, we're missing out on top 4 because of Arteta's shtty management ideas.

Lol.
We're 14 games in to the season.
Stop being so dramatic.
JHC.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:13 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That's because your manager has crushed the confidence of what was our most in form striker.

Admitted, he should be doing better, some of his misses are inexcusable, but strikers live and breath on form and this role for Auba is sucking the form right out of him.

Its the system that's not creating enough chances to fall to Auba, Arteta needs to change it because we don't have one proper CF at the club, we'd need a Lukaku or an Antonio for that type of role.

The system has created more chances for Auba than every player in the Premier league bar three.

Going into the weekend we were only slightly less creative (number and quality of chances created) than West Ham.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:48 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

The system has created more chances for Auba than every player in the Premier league bar three.

Going into the weekend we were only slightly less creative (number and quality of chances created) than West Ham.

............ missing the point that he's not a back to goal / strong / tall CF.

You can say whatever you want about stats, the only stat that matter is zero goals for Auba since how long?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:04 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

You can say whatever you want about stats, the only stat that matter is zero goals for Auba since how long?

Yes, not enough goals, which his own fault as he's missed his chances.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:57 am

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

............ and Arteta's fault for starting him as a CF even when he's not scoring?

Auba isn't picking himself, that's your manager doing that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:52 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

............ and Arteta's fault for starting him as a CF even when he's not scoring?

Auba isn't picking himself, that's your manager doing that.

In my view Auba should have been dropped by now, but as you also know, I don’t think he should even be at the club. The bigger mistake was not replacing him 18 months ago when his contract was up.
That is also Arteta’s mistake. He’s made a few on the personnel side.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club